Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fidel Cuckstro
Jul 2, 2007

It was a good, fun hour of TV. And I think it's weird if you don't agree with me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fidel Cuckstro
Jul 2, 2007

Hold on one second?! If he has a laser gun, why does it look like a revolver??? Why would a laser gun look like a revolver?????????

Fidel Cuckstro
Jul 2, 2007

It looks like a revolver because they thought it looks cool with his space-duster. FFS.

Fidel Cuckstro
Jul 2, 2007

I guess the thing that sticks out to me as something they did really well- aside from just making an episode fun and charming and move along at a brisk pace and all that- is they managed to do a pretty good job establishing unique motivations for everyone in 40 minutes. Captain Cold and Heat Wave want to be time burglars- sure, why not. Atom is worried he won't be remembered for anything. One half of firestorm is a science nerd and the other cares about camaraderie. Etc etc etc. For a show that is meant to be a campy action-adventure for everyone, I thank that's pretty impressive*. Most shows would have struggled to put 3 characters in the ensemble in focus for 1 episode. Yeah they got a nice head-start by introducing these characters and getting a feel for them in Arrow and Flash, but still it's impressive that they were able to get all of them re-introduced and clearly explained while still having a story to get the ball rolling in one episode.

*yeah Fargo and True Detective and shows like that pull it off, but I wouldn't have expected to put Legends of Tomorrow in the same sentence with shows like that ever.

Fidel Cuckstro
Jul 2, 2007

SalTheBard posted:

That episode was great. I loved it. This show is stupid and fun and I can't ask for much more than that in a TV show.

This show is the kind of campy poo poo I loved as a kid, and appreciate more as a grownup.

Fidel Cuckstro
Jul 2, 2007

Any time you or one of the characters asks 'wait why don't we just do something cool with the timeline to solve this problem or avoid this obviously contrived situation" you should just mentally edit in Rip Hunter saying "because of time reasons, nigga."

Fidel Cuckstro
Jul 2, 2007

losonti tokash posted:

How does this reincarnation thing work if he died in the past where there already is a Hawkdude running around? Does the FutureSoul just hang out for 40 years until it catches up with where he got in the time ship? Are there now two Hawkguys until 2016?

Fidel Cuckstro
Jul 2, 2007

Binary Logic posted:

First rule of time travel is, don't think too hard about time travel.

Similarly, don't think too hard about superpowers. Firestorm absorbed the energy from a nuclear bomb. This is Firestorm unleashing his full strength energy blast:

This is Vandal Savage, immediately after:

Didn't even muss up his hair. Or knock the buttons off his coat. Or melt them. Or do...anything.

I wonder if (either in LoT or maybe in future seasons of The Flash) we'll ever see them explore Firestorm's weirder powers. I really only remember him from the 80s Justice League cartoons, but he can like transform matter on the atomic level, which is a neat power IMO.

boom boom boom posted:

The problem is that he was established as a dude who only wants to kill two people every 25 years. And was very murdered by four superheroes working together. Now he's taken over the world and half a dozen superheroes can't get him.

To be fair, he was beaten by somewhere between 4 and 7 heroes (in the do-over the rest of the Arrow gang shows up to fight, right?), the key 2 heroes of Green Arrow and Flash (who for all intents and purposes are the Batman and Superman of the CW universe) did a lot of heavy lifting, and even then the good guys needed a do-over because the first time they tried to stop him they screwed up and got like all of Central City nuked. I'm not in love w/ Savage because so far we haven't seen anywhere near the charisma of Barrowman or Cavanaugh here....but luckily the show is plenty loaded with fun and charming heroes, so a de-emphasized villain is alright by me.

Fidel Cuckstro
Jul 2, 2007

Scyantific posted:

There was a deleted scene from the season 1 finale that shows Ronnie/Stein Firestorm turning a thermometer into a flower for Caitlin, so they can't say they wouldn't be able to.

Oh then I have to imagine they'll definitely do it at some point. Maybe they're just waiting for an appropriately dramatic moment for a Prof. Stein voiceover to explain that "maybe we can do this but WE MIGHT FAIL??" (then they don't fail).

Fidel Cuckstro
Jul 2, 2007

X-O posted:

If so I'll be interested in how they explain it moving from Norway to Starling.

The DC Instagram account is saying that Hourman, Sandman, and Ma Hunkel are coming to the show. I bet Ma Hunkel looks better than Supergirl's Red Tornado.

Is it too much to dream that Margo Martindale will play Ma Hunkel?

Fidel Cuckstro
Jul 2, 2007

While I'm not in love with the action scenes, I'm not really sure who/what to compare them to- in terms of producing these things for TV I think they're perfectly acceptable? The 'Atom flys across the warehoues as we get a brief glimpse of everyone doing their thing' was a pretty well executed shot, IMO. I mean it doesn't help that CW is pretty much the only place they're trying to do TV superheroes aside from Supergirl? And from the pilot I wasn't overly impressed with their action scenes either.

I do feel it's meant to be something of an homage to big team fight scenes like Binary Logic said.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fidel Cuckstro
Jul 2, 2007

This show remains good and if you have problems with it it's probably due to your overexposure to this website.

• Locked thread