Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

BrianWilly posted:

I like the meta-ness of them having to work with the most D-string characters that have no impact on the timeline.

I really like the dynamic of these mofos.

There was some discussion in the Flash thread over why he would pick like, White Canary and Heat Wave over someone like the Flash or Green Arrow or the various legendary characters who will eventually show up in the future. This was basically my theory, so I am glad they went with it.

It's also interesting how - with the exception of Ray Palmer - a lot of this "obscurity" is self-imposed. Canary is basically off the grid since she is afraid of going psycho, the Hawks are constantly on the run from Savage, Jefferson is only a reluctant hero at best, the Rogues typically stick to low key villainy because they don't want to keep as much off the radar as possible. I hope they explore this more throughout the season, especially how Palmer ends up fitting into this pattern.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

I dont know posted:

I wonder if they are no longer showing them freezing people solid or setting them ablaze since they are now heroes, or at least not villains.

"You're a hero now, set that flamethrower to 'stun'."

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

MonsterEnvy posted:

Captain Cold gun in the comics is by default non lethal. The purpose of the gun was to put people into temporary suspended animation. The ice and the fact that it created Absolute Zero was just a side effect. If he froze someone in the comics it was completely harmless. However he could turn it lethal or damaging by uping the settings on the gun or breaking the frozen people. (Which he only did when someone really really pissed him off.)

You don't have to educate me about the flash pal :colbert:

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Whizbang posted:

They just need to travel to right before Rip's wife and kid are killed and replace them with dolls they won at the Millennial Fair.

NIce. Now I have that music stuck in my head. Hup!

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Finally catching up after a few weeks.

I feel like there is a bet going on in the writers room to see how long they can go without having Stein and Jackson become Firestorm.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Oh my god they still didn't transform into Firestorm even with Chronos blowing up the ship! At this point it has to be a recurring joke by the writers, or Victor Garber has the world's best agent making sure he is not relegated to doing voice overs most of the episode.

Burning_Monk posted:

Sweet, here's hoping they switch the cast up (keeping a few).

I'm torn between wanting to see Snart every week and wanting him to appear on Flash more next season.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Holy crap this was actually a genuinely good episode. Hopefully they can keep it up.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Rhyno posted:

DC One Million #4. Chronos (not anything like the one in this show) rigs his time travel gear (that Savage had stolen) to transport him back to 1998 right on the spot where Savage had set of a nuke.

God I forgot about DC One Million. That was the best crossover because Morrison was smart enough to give the writers several different options on what to do with their series (either transport your main character to the year 1M and let them dick around, or have them in current time dealing with one of the half dozen plot threads he set up in the main series, or just write a totally elseworlds year 1M version of your character so you don't have to interrupt your current narrative). Morrison is such a genius.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Hatrocious posted:

The only two female main characters gossip about getting engaged to a man, then spend the very next scene cooing over a baby. Has this show actually managed to pass the Bechdel test at any point?

I mean just off the very top of my head there was Sara helping Kendra with her bloodlust. I'm pretty confident there was also dialogue between Sara and her '50s nurse that didn't revolve around the male doctors, but I might be wrong.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Big Bad Voodoo Lou posted:

It was okay -- not a new classic, but definitely worth seeing if you like high-concept sci-fi, psychological thrillers, and those actors. It was definitely less cringeworthy than this week's episode.

This is actually the type of poo poo I eat up so thanks for the rec

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Chokes McGee posted:

Bad news everyone, he'll only be around for the first episode next season

BECAUSE IT'S AN HOUR LONG YOU SEE

He can play the same role as the 2 depowered halves of Firestorm! (i.e. useless normies)

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

howe_sam posted:

It's honestly a minor miracle they look as good as they do considering they have less time and less money than the movies do. BvS probably cost what, three times as much as the entire first season of legends?

It occurred to me when reading this that I have no idea how budgets for TV shows work. Your estimate seems high since BvS was made for 250 million, but a third of that would put the per episode cost of LoT at 5 million? Which could be right (or at least close)?

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Xelkelvos posted:

Looks like shenanigans in feudal Japan. I like shenanigans. I assume that has to do with the Soultaker sword or something

Yeah that part of the show is awesome. Them hanging out in the 1950s and having dumb romance subplots while chasing the boringest villain ever were S1's flaws, not cheesy time travel antics, which are the entire reason for the show's existence.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Maxwell Lord posted:

Don't limit Kara's involvement, Ollie. You dick.

Maybe finding a sense a normalcy is a thing to do after stopping the alien invasion.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Lol Barry's mom's death is literally the most important event in the history of the universe apparently

(despite being a time anomaly in the first place)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Why do they never ever bother to use Firestorm, the strongest member of their team? Just trying to make fights interesting?

• Locked thread