Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006
I think in all the early casting announcements, Hawkman and the actor playing him weren't mentioned. That person was added later than all the others, so if anyone is expendable, that would be my guess.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

Binary Logic posted:

The Hawkcouple keep being killed not because of a curse but simply because their relationship creeps everyone out so much they have to be gotten rid of. And Hawk"girl" seems like a weird appellation for someone who is 4000 years old. Her partner is not Hawkboy.

Ladyhawk?

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006
That's what I call a BONG HIT.

I love this show. It reminds me of the fun of Arrow Season 2 and Flash Season 1 -- perfectly campy and comic booky in all the best ways. Wentworth Miller is a national treasure, and Caity Lotz is more fun than she ever was on Arrow.

Even my wife, who has no interest in superhero anything aside from Jessica Jones, is watching this with me and enjoying it, but mostly since we just finished a month-long Prison Break binge. It was Miller and Purcell camping it up that got her to join me, and every sarcastic snarl out of Snart's mouth cracks her up.

I knew Hawkman was a goner because he didn't get announced as part of this show until long after all the others. I'm just surprised they wrote him out so soon, but I agree with everyone else that he won't be missed.

I was also surprised that a mainstream superhero show was so nonjudgmental and accepting of smoking pot. I don't partake at all, and it isn't legal in my state, but I desperately hope it gets legalized for medical use this election season. I have too many people I love with chronic pain and other conditions who could really benefit from it. Things like this are what will slowly but surely change public attitudes.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006
I hope Sandman is the trench coat/fedora/gas mask version, and Hourman is the functional addict. Maybe they can finally tie "Mirakuru" from Arrow into Rex Tyler's power-granting Miraclo pills.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

Kwyndig posted:

oh right, she got the bloodlust.

Actually, on last night's Arrow, they specifically mentioned that John Constantine fully restored her soul, so she doesn't have the bloodlust anymore.

EDIT: Dammit, never mind.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

Binary Logic posted:

BTW whatever happened to the Temporal Bounty Hunter sent by the Time Masters Club? I think he was called Chronos but that seems way too on-the-nose even for this show. I expect him to show up at the worst possible time, whenever that is.

He was (very loosely) based on the Atom's Silver Age arch-enemy Chronos, the Time Thief, a dork who wore a creepy white mask, striped tights, and a cape.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

Tiggum posted:

Seems a bit odd that no one has ever gone "Hey, you're like that Batman guy in Gotham!" or "Apparently Gotham have their own Arrow now, but he dresses up like a bat for some reason?" And if they actually know enough about him to know that his backup person is called Oracle, it's even weirder to have never mentioned him.

We haven't seen all of Ollie's flashbacks from his five missing years yet, that's all I'm saying.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

X-O posted:

Even if everything good that has happened in the CW DC universe show was somehow not good then all that bad would still be worth it for Wentworth Miller's Leonard Snart. The greatest TV comic villain since Frank Gorshin.

I've always liked Captain Cold, ever since Super Friends when I was a kid. I like how he has a code of honor -- pull jobs, work with a team but keep them in line, no world domination plans, no killing innocent people, grudging respect for the Flash.

But he has been so perfect on these shows, and I have become not only a bigger Captain Cold fan, but a huge Wentworth Miller fan. I even binge-watched all of Prison Break in December and January, and I think any fans of him and Dominic Purcell need to give it a chance. His Flash appearances are some of the best episodes of the show, and he is making Legends my most entertaining show right now. Every line he delivers is pure perfection, and I love that he's going to end up with a redemption arc of sorts.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

Chokes McGee posted:

Every time I hear Wilhelm Scream my brain auto substitutes Goofy Holler and I'm gonna be honest with you it makes life better

Do you mean "YAAAA-HOO-HOo-Hoo-hoo!" ?

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006
In related news:

If you have a Redbox nearby, this week they released a new low-budget sci-fi movie called 400 Days, about four astronauts who are locked into a space mission simulator for... you guessed it, 400 days. And things start to happen that they suspect are not part of the simulation. And two of the four are Brandon Routh and Caity Lotz, along with Dane Cook and some other guy. And Tom Cavanagh from The Flash is in it too.

It was okay -- not a new classic, but definitely worth seeing if you like high-concept sci-fi, psychological thrillers, and those actors. It was definitely less cringeworthy than this week's episode.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

jscolon2.0 posted:

I stand by this being a long con to meet Snart's sister.

Snart's sister, Peyton List, got cast in the new Frequency series starting on the CW, based on the really good Jim Caviezel/Dennis Quaid movie. I'm not sure if we'll see her back as Lisa Snart if that show goes well.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

Mortanis posted:

Doc Fate's helmet was in Constantine, which is in-continuity now. Come on CW. DOOOO IIIITTTT.
We also had Ma Hunkel's Red Tornado pot-helmet in the background in Rip's "study" on the Waverider in many scenes throughout LoT. I kept expecting them to reference it or set an episode in the '40s so we could meet some Golden Agers, but no such luck. Maybe now we'll see them.

Then again, Wildcat, Atom Smasher, and Jay Garrick haven't been treated well on the other Berlantiverse shows.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006
With the exception of Snart and Mick's continued awesomeness, I think the show peaked in the pilot, when Rip said he had seen "men of steel die and dark knights fall." The characters had no idea what he was talking about, but it was pure fanservice that succeeded in getting the audience psyched for the season. They never lived up to that promise of excitement and high stakes, though.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

greatn posted:

I hope now that they don't have a common bond of being chased through history by a psychopath they realize they don't have any actual chemistry just cause they hosed 4000 years ago.

I give it three months.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

Scyantific posted:

Not sure if I heard it right, but I think JWS was cast as DCTVU regular.

Yeah, John Wesley Shipp got one of those contracts to appear on all the shows throughout their seasons, same as John Barrowman, Wentworth Miller, Matt Letscher, and Katie Cassidy. And we're assuming the four of them are going to be the Legion of Doom (with Cassidy as Black Siren), so I guess we'll see the one true Jay Garrick appearing on Flash as well as with the JSA on Legends.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

irlZaphod posted:

I keep thinking his name is Rory and get confused when people refer to (Mick) Rory in Legends. :v:

And there was Rory Regan (Ragman) on Arrow this season, too.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006
I'm sad during every episode that Darvill was cast as Rip Hunter instead of Booster Gold, and even sadder that Routh was cast as Ray Palmer way back on Arrow, and not Ted Kord Blue Beetle (considering that was who the Arrow writers originally wanted, and he's always been written way more like Ted than like Ray).

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

kjetting posted:

I fell of the comics wagon many years ago, but one thing I remember liking from my old Justice League International comic books as a kid was the interplay between Blue Beetle and Booster Gold. Actually, I liked that version of the Justice League better than most versions of the JLA, and think it had a little of the same feel to it that this show has, with silly banter and in-fighting between kinda B-list heroes, only missing Batman as the reluctant leader who would just pop in from time to time to tell the gang to lace up because poo poo was about to go down, and then get away from the idiots as soon as poo poo had been dealt with.

IŽd love some Blue/Gold action in one of the CW shows, but what's the deal with rights? Are DC planning on using either of them in a movie?

Beetle, Booster, and the JLI are my all-time favorites, and it would not have taken much to make Legends into a JLI show. As I said, the Arrow writers have been dropping references to Kord Inc. and even Ted Kord since Season 1, but never showed him. Ray Palmer was originally supposed to be Kord, until some edict kept them from using the character. His brainy, nerdy, enthusiastic nice-guy captain of industry schtick has been pure Ted this entire time -- far more characterization than Ray Palmer ever had in the comics, and he would have fit in better as a straight-laced foil for the Arrow, a love interest for Felicity (recalling Ted's friendship with Oracle), and eventually the good-natured heart of the Legends.

Booster would have fit in well too, as a selfish, shallow, time-traveling screw-up who was, at his heart, a good man who just had to learn how to be a friend and a hero. Snart and Mick (who would have been so much fun playing off Blue and Gold) have already had similar arcs on Legends.

There have been rumors for years of a Booster Gold series or a Blue and Gold movie, often with Greg Berlanti himself writing or directing. At one point, Alan Tudyk and Nathan Fillion said they would love to play them, but that was just in an interview. The last thing I heard was that if it happened, it wouldn't be tied to the DCEU, but would be a stand-alone action/buddy-comedy.

Needless to say, anything like this would make me the happiest fanboy ever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

Gorelab posted:

I mostly like Booster because of the Justice League Unlimited cartoon, along with Batman the Brave and the Bold both of which did a good job with him.

The Batman/Booster/Beetle episode of Brave and the Bold was my all-time favorite, although there are countless episodes of that show I've still never seen. It was so great!

• Locked thread