Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The_Frag_Man
Mar 26, 2005

Venus and Jupiter

Neptune looks like Mitsuru Kirijo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SuccinctAndPunchy
Mar 29, 2013

People are supposed to get hurt by things. It's fucked up to not. It's not good for you.
Venus and Neptune

This game sure looks some kind of interesting. I kinda wish there was a more convenient method of purchasing than making another bloody account on another bloody website just to buy one game because I would probably buy and play this game if it were on Steam or something. Looks incredibly my kind of poo poo.

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

She was a sword glinting in the depths of night, a lance of light piercing the darkness. There would be no mistakes this time.

SuccinctAndPunchy posted:

Venus and Neptune

This game sure looks some kind of interesting. I kinda wish there was a more convenient method of purchasing than making another bloody account on another bloody website just to buy one game because I would probably buy and play this game if it were on Steam or something. Looks incredibly my kind of poo poo.

It's being Greenlit, so it'll probably be on Steam eventually.

Flac
Sep 6, 2010

supposedly it frees you from anxiety and nihilism
[MUSIC: Summer Scouts]

The thread was split for a while but with a whopping single vote lead, it's decided that we'll see the Venus and Neptune choice first! On the next playthrough, we'll start back here and check out the Venus and Jupiter one.

♃: Catch up, okay?

We can't focus on what we're doing or enjoy it while being watched by someone expecting something who won't say what and won't leave.

Venus keeps getting distracted by the lights, and Neptune is keenly aware of the pit in her stomach. There is truly nothing ruder than denying us distraction.

♆: Goddddddddddddd.

Last update, I had some issues with getting a good portrait of all of Group South at once, so I whipped something up in Paint that will serve as their portrait from now on, as my little tribute to one (or three) of the more memorable characters in video games. Enjoy.

Nothing.
Nothing. You're cool.
Nothing. You're cool. He's the one in trouble.
♆: Realllllllly?
♀: I must not be, since the captain's not here.

Group South stares at Venus. Venus ignores them. They can stick around if they want. We can pretend to fix this siren all night.

Hey Venus.
Hey Venus. You're taking a while.
Hey Venus. You're taking a while. Need help.
♀: No. Captain said I could do it alone.
♀: Go away. It's distracting.

Nah.
♆: He was pretty pissed off last time, wasn't he?
Nah. We're supposed to be here.
♆: Everyone was laughing.
It's Venus's fault—
Nah. We're supposed to be here. It's Venus's fault.

♆: What is your problem, trying to get him to do something right, when you could be doing something productive like loving up and getting us all sent home!
Yeah? Ask him.
Yeah. Ask him.
Yeah! Ask him.
♀: The captain doesn't like you.
Hey—
♀: I don't know why he doesn't like you but the more you try to get on his good side the worse he'll make it for you.
♀: He doesn't need a reason. He hates it when people try to get on his good side.
You—
♀: He hates it because it's like you're telling him what to do.

I bet a lot of people picked these two to be paired up thinking that Neptune would probably make Group South melt away by staring at them hard enough or something like that, I know I had thought that when I picked this path. But good on Venus for taking care of them himself.

[Silence]

♆: Venus you have to be done by now, right?
♆: Venus.

♀: Oh! Yeah. I finished a while ago.
♆: What are you even looking at?
♀: Oh—it's nothing, don't worry. I'll come down.

[MUSIC: God Is Already Warning Us]

Venus climbs down from the siren, which crackles softly with the faint static of the radio again. It's louder than normal. God is already warning us.

♀: Thanks. And um. Sorry for loving up all the time.
♆: I literally don't care. They’re idiots. They don't get it at all.
♆: They're so obsessed with you, it's so weird.
♀: They hate me though?
♆: Obviously? Is that supposed to make a difference?
♀: Does it... not?

♀: Oh...
♀: ...but I don't think I actually could? Mess up on purpose, I mean.

♀: I know.
♀: Sometimes it feels harder to not do something than to do something?
♀: I wish I was a little more like you.
♀:You deal with this stuff so easily?

♀: Yes?
♆: You're never allowed to think I have it better off than you.
♆: Ever.
♆: It's the worst thing you can do.
♀: Oh.
♀: I'm sorry?
♆: Sometimes I kind of envy you Venus.
♆: And other times I really kind of don't.

Flac fucked around with this message at 04:28 on Mar 17, 2016

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

this is wonderful

e: i forgot how good of a track God Is Already Warning Us is

Tollymain fucked around with this message at 01:25 on Jan 25, 2016

TKMobile
Apr 30, 2009
While this may well be an exercise in futility or just plain thinking too hard on the subject, I am starting to wonder what kind of Christian camp this is, beyond 'disturbingly bad.'

I imagine this is based off a Protestant denomination thing, but Jupiter's wearing pants so it's not Mormon/Mennonite/Pentecostal related and the groups are co-ed which...actually seems almost odd. Admittedly, I went to 'Young Life' camps back in the day which were for the most part, taking kids to *fun* places up in the mountains with water slides or rope courses. They were overall designed to be a positive scene; for a week or two you spend the day with friends from church in a young adult's playground and during the evening there'd be Jesus talks more about how refreshing being nice to to one another can be opposed to SINNERS! REPENT THE poo poo OUT OF YOURSELVES!!! But even with positive organizations like YL, they'd have male leaders watching over the guys from a church group, and a woman would be in charge of the girls; they wouldn't co-mingle except for large team events like water balloon fights and so on. Even when I was part of a missionary thing, going into an inner-city area in Nashville to help at homeless shelters, they had chaperons and youth leaders of both genders, and more importantly, NOBODY would bring up the devil like they do here. In hindsight, for reasons which I'm sure are benign *and* also varied, none of the camps/church trips/ et. all would bring up The Devil or anything worse than making an example of some imagined 'prodigal child' type. "Oh no, I spent so much time rocking out and drinking booze, my life is an empty shell." That sort of thing. Without going into the merits of Christianity itself, or Christian camps as a practice, at least that scene was far more nurturing.

This place,has more of an oppressive cultish vibe going to it. Everyone gets a white Crucifix shirt to wear. Everything is way out in the sticks away from outside influences, cellphones excluded, but that's probably modern things worming its way into something I bet has been going on for some time. Captains sending off the impressionable youth to go fix and repair poo poo in the woods; it's making them work instead of taking their minds off whatever's waiting for them back home. I guess what I'm saying is, when you hold an example of evil over these campers' heads, the camp itself is *probably* going to provide some examples..... :ohdear:

Ijuuin Enzan
Oct 28, 2006
More fun than dryer lint.
How much purpling went on at your camps

TKMobile
Apr 30, 2009
Ahaha. It took me a second to remember that phrase. Thanks for the memories, google!

At the time, I was a dork who thought Final Fantasy VII was the greatest thing ever and was also too busy daydreaming about the Slayers anime and reading its fanfiction. I sure as hell wasn't going to notice even if that was going on everywhere or kept to a minimum.

Flac
Sep 6, 2010

[SFX: Crickets chirp softly as the evening goes darker. An ominous, rumbling wind blows against the trees. Sometimes, strange unidentifiable thuds can be heard in the distance, like an axe to a trunk.]

♀: ...
♀: ...um...
♆: It's fine.
♃: It's fine.

We still can't quite believe it's a house humans are supposed to spend a night in.

It has electricity, unbelievably, and also illegally, because it could likely burn it down and kill everyone.

♀: ...

♀: I'm trying to think of something positive to say but, uh.
♀: I can't.

[MUSIC: Greenhouse]

♃: In all kinds of ways.
♆: Seriously, I'm in awe. No ordinary idiot built this cabin. An ordinary idiot would have given up long before this.
♆: It takes a truly extraordinary idiot to keep at something he has no idea how to do.
♆: I pray we never have to meet him.
♃: Hmm.
♆: What?
♃: I was just thinking...
♃: It's like, guaranteed the captain built it, right?

♃: There's like half a dozen horrifying shacks here. He must have had so much fun.
♆: God. Hold me please. You've chilled me to the depths of my soul.
♃: Hahahaha.

♀: There's something wrong with the lock.
♃: Is it broken?
♃: I don't hear any static...it really is broken.
♀: That's so dangerous! No one would leave it unlocked like that, would they?
♃: No. They wouldn't.
♆: They could have broken it and not told anyone. That'd be just like Group East.
♀: I think Group South was here last?
♆: Or them, or anyone. They're all jerks who'd rather let the next group take the fall than fix it, so what does it matter which one it was?
♃: The crystal and whisker look fine. It looks like someone tried to tape it together? But it must have come loose.
♀: It could have already been like this...but this kind of charm doesn't break that easily, I don't think. You just need to make sure the wire is securely touching the galena.

Though not that worried.

Humans are much more likely to kill you than the devil is. Statistically.

♀ + ♃ / ♃ + ♆

Yep, another choice already! There's gonna be one of these every hour for quite a few hours. This time you can vote either Venus and Jupiter or Jupiter and Neptune.

Flac fucked around with this message at 23:09 on Mar 16, 2016

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

All Neptune All The Time

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
at this point you may be wondering what a lock has to do with a crystal, galena, audible static, or a "charm". don't worry, this will be explained never

tiistai
Nov 1, 2012

Solo Melodica
♃ + ♆

Tollymain posted:

at this point you may be wondering what a lock has to do with a crystal, galena, audible static, or a "charm". don't worry, this will be explained never

At this point I was pretty much expecting that

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Venus and Jupiter seem like the more technically capable ones.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

tiistai posted:

♃ + ♆

At this point I was pretty much expecting that

i think the most important thing to take away from this and other such odd details is that these aren't strange to the characters. it's just how this world works; superficially like ours, but very much not under the skin

e: except where it really matters, you dig?

SuccinctAndPunchy
Mar 29, 2013

People are supposed to get hurt by things. It's fucked up to not. It's not good for you.

tiistai posted:

♃ + ♆

Always Neptune.

Monk E
May 19, 2009
might as well keep the Jupiter and Neptune train going also "Humans are much more likely to kill you than the devil is. Statistically." is a pretty great line.

RickVoid
Oct 21, 2010
I know nothing about this game other than what we've seen so far, but I understand what the wristband thing is about and everytime Jupiter does it it's unsettling as gently caress.

Also, hooray for crystal magic!

Anyway, Jupiter and Neptune because my voting policy is currently Never Not Neptune. This will continue until Neptune is on every option or no option.

Crigit
Sep 6, 2011

I'll show you my naval if you show me yours.
Let's get naut'y.
I am having an incredibly hard time just parsing the writing in this thing. The rampant overuse of question marks and the weird cadence makes it completely impenetrable to me. I can't tell if this is because the writing is legitimately bad, or if I'm just old and can't understand the way kids talk anymore.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
lot of love for neptune. understandable, though, she is the best character (they're all the best character)

i'm afraid you're getting old

e: to clarify: the dialogue in this game is definitely written in a bit of an internet/tumblrspeak sort of way

Tollymain fucked around with this message at 00:06 on Jan 26, 2016

gutterdaughter
Oct 21, 2010

keep yr head up, problem girl

RickVoid posted:

I know nothing about this game other than what we've seen so far, but I understand what the wristband thing is about and everytime Jupiter does it it's unsettling as gently caress.

Yeah. Jupiter's arc definitely spoke to me hard, that gesture included.

Thuryl
Mar 14, 2007

My postillion has been struck by lightning.

Tollymain posted:

i think the most important thing to take away from this and other such odd details is that these aren't strange to the characters. it's just how this world works; superficially like ours, but very much not under the skin

I think the impression we're meant to get is that it's some kind of warding charm made out of a crystal radio set, and that yeah, that's just a normal thing to do under these circumstances in this setting.

Anyway, I ignored Venus a lot on my first playthrough so I'm voting Venus + Jupiter

RickVoid posted:

Yeah, I picked up on that too. For those who don't know (not a spoiler exactly since it's not addressed in-game as far as I've seen, but it does give significant new information about Jupiter): wearing elastic around your wrist and snapping it when you're under emotional stress is a common replacement behaviour for people who self-harm and want to stop.

tiistai
Nov 1, 2012

Solo Melodica

Crigit posted:

I am having an incredibly hard time just parsing the writing in this thing. The rampant overuse of question marks and the weird cadence makes it completely impenetrable to me. I can't tell if this is because the writing is legitimately bad, or if I'm just old and can't understand the way kids talk anymore.

It seems intentional and admittedly it's fitting but it's really irritating regardless

RickVoid
Oct 21, 2010

Crigit posted:

Venus seems to be doing that the most, but that's because he's Uncertain Anime Prettyboy. Neptune is Bitchy McTsundere and I suspect Jupiter is Secretly Psycho.

Edit: I'm worried the behavior Jupiter is replacing is less self-harm and more harm others, but who knows?

RickVoid fucked around with this message at 00:16 on Jan 26, 2016

A Bad Place
May 25, 2008

Crigit posted:

you're basically a mummy, age-wise, i suspect
I really dig the writing so far, I feel like the loose grammar/punctuation stuff does a good job of conveying the characters' annoying teen vocal habits. I like the art, too. I hope it is a good game, to justify my liking it.

Also my vote is for ♀ + ♃ but I like to lose so that's fine

A Bad Place fucked around with this message at 00:19 on Jan 26, 2016

gutterdaughter
Oct 21, 2010

Elastic or rubber bands are also often used as a sort of misguided aversion therapy, particularly associated with a certain kind of Christian guilt.

She's punishing herself for having bad thoughts.

Specifically, gay thoughts.

EDIT: Also wow, you're all really old? Or something?

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

She was a sword glinting in the depths of night, a lance of light piercing the darkness. There would be no mistakes this time.
Jupiter is the best, actually?

Anyway Jupiter + Venus

RickVoid
Oct 21, 2010

Gutter Owl posted:

Elastic or rubber bands are also often used as a sort of misguided aversion therapy, particularly associated with a certain kind of Christian guilt.

She's punishing herself for having bad thoughts.

*snip*

Just went back to check the other occurances.

I feel a little bad now. But maybe edit out the spoiler?

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

RickVoid posted:

Venus seems to be doing that the most, but that's because he's Uncertain Anime Prettyboy. Neptune is Bitchy McTsundere and I suspect Jupiter is Secretly Psycho.

wow spoilers

gutterdaughter
Oct 21, 2010

RickVoid posted:

Just went back to check the other occurances.

I feel a little bad now. But maybe edit out the spoiler?

Yeah, that was supposed to be spoiler-tagged, not bold-tagged.

Although I don't think it's much of a spoiler if you're paying attention. Or read the OP.

Flac
Sep 6, 2010

I'll try to update this thread on Thursday with the results, unless there's a tie we gotta break. I don't have a tight schedule in mind but I wanted to get the first few parts out there quick so I could get into some sort of rhythm with the updates.

Tollymain posted:

Pretty much. WKTD's world is uh close enough to reality, but there are thematic differences and exaggerations that you should be paying attention to, like how the whole camp is practically a cult with rituals like "meeting the devil" and poo poo. Then there's little stuff like sirens and locks being powered by crystals and magic?? or the constant sailor moon referencing like its a historical document or something; those are world details and all explanations for it boil down to "it would be cool if tech worked this way in this universe" or "sailor moon rules"

gutterdaughter
Oct 21, 2010

To be fair to the writers, Sailor Moon does in fact rule.

A Bad Place
May 25, 2008
sailor moon... rules

Crigit
Sep 6, 2011

I'll show you my naval if you show me yours.
Let's get naut'y.

A Bad Place posted:

you're basically a mummy, age-wise, i suspect

Yeah, I figured. I'm way too young to be so old, it sucks.

VVVV: The first rule of sailor moon is don't talk about sailor moon. If it's your first time at sailor moon, you have to transform.

Crigit fucked around with this message at 00:37 on Jan 26, 2016

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

A Bad Place posted:

sailor moon... rules

What's the first sailor moon rule?

gutterdaughter
Oct 21, 2010

death .cab for qt posted:

What's the first sailor moon rule?

Sometimes the hardest thing in the world is believing in yourself. But set your mind and heart on it, and anything is possible. Bye now!

A Bad Place
May 25, 2008
if someone runs from a realfight or turns their back on a friend, the fight is over

The_Frag_Man
Mar 26, 2005

RickVoid posted:

What?

Also, I'm voting Venus and Jupiter

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Yeah, locks are one of the easiest things to mess up when building your own house. That's why it's a good idea never to leave home without your portable locksmithing kit: wire cutters, disposable soldering iron, six gauges of replacement crystal, at least two bezoars, and a live mouse. Keeping a live mouse as both live and a mouse is the most challenging part of maintaining a locksmithing kit, but when you really need it, you'll find it was well worth the effort.

Probottt
Dec 15, 2013
Venus and Jupiter

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TKMobile
Apr 30, 2009
♃ + ♆

I don't see what's so bad about that cabin, personally, other than letting yourself imagine there's three inches of dirt and dust inside, a possum colony, half the floor is broken, or there's a basement with dead everything in it.

(At one of the Young Life Camps I went to (down in Florida. In July) we were in a cabin whose AC unit busted five seconds after we arrived late in the afternoon and we had to sweat it out until a repair man could show up the following afternoon. One of the other campers, a football jock who wasn't so much a bully but just played too rough snapped after lasting till midnight and ran off into the night yelling BATMAN on repeat for no discernible reason. I can't remember what happened after that, it was so humid and hot in the cabin, but he seemed okay for the rest of the week.)

Though this whole affair about having electricity this far out in the woods constitutes a horrible fire hazard makes me wonder how far away the camp is from any kind of civilization, or better yet,help should the need arise. nice way to point out how *oh so isolated* we're about to get.

TKMobile fucked around with this message at 05:09 on Jan 26, 2016

• Locked thread