Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Maybe it's just that I've been listening to the Night Vale podcasts lately, but I'm really getting kind of a Night Vale vibe here, like everybody's just kind of pissed about having to meet the devil because first you've got to lay out the bloodstone circles and then you've got to file the Devil Contact Preparation Forms with a vague yet menacing government agency and after all that he'll just show up and talk about his last vacation. Like people don't talk to each other about what the devil tells them! But no, you've got to sit through all that, and then there's like three hours of awkward silence while he tries to come up with something else interesting to say. It's just not worth the effort.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Yeah, locks are one of the easiest things to mess up when building your own house. That's why it's a good idea never to leave home without your portable locksmithing kit: wire cutters, disposable soldering iron, six gauges of replacement crystal, at least two bezoars, and a live mouse. Keeping a live mouse as both live and a mouse is the most challenging part of maintaining a locksmithing kit, but when you really need it, you'll find it was well worth the effort.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Hmm. Three-person card game, standard deck of cards.

Looks like it's time for a round of good ol' Beat The Landlord, which has been repackaged and maybe slightly tweaked as Chimera.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
"Even a little kid could beat the Devil" just sounds like desperate propaganda to demonize anyone who loses.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Don't walk off the path. Keep the lights on. Don't let the devil into your heart.

Hooded figures may seem to chase the devil towards you, but do not approach them. Do not approach the dog park.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
A child can defeat the devil, but can a drunk? I suspect fools and drunks aren't God's favorite in this cosmology.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
All I'm saying is, engaging with someone in a sufficiently altered state of mind that Seven Minutes In Heaven is a competitive sport is probably going to get you suplexed through something load-bearing.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Yes, as we all learned in elementary school, lighting incense is an excellent way to attract the occasional angel to help boost the performance of your radio, or your many other home electronics. However, angels definitely do not exist, and so no one will sell incense specifically for attracting angels. It's important, then, to keep in mind how you intend to use your incense, and avoid any charcoal-based incenses, which can cause short circuits and, of course, animate the occasional shadow.

Animated shadows also, definitely, do not exist. So if you see one, or hear one whispering its shadow-promises to you, you should notify the Sheriff's secret police immediately by lying very still, at which point the agent assigned to monitor the many hidden listening devices near you will become concerned by the sudden silence and investigate.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
So... the greatest trick God ever pulled was making people think the devil doesn't exist?

Or was that suppose to be the devil's voice cutting into the broadcast at the end there?

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry

Flac posted:

♃: Won't you let me feel like a real devil for a moment?
♆: We don't have to like it.
♀: At least give us that much.

The book of Job is the oldest book in the Bible, even if some contain older stories. And the point of the book of Job is this: don't be Job's friends.

Job was a good man and one day something terrible happened to him. Job's friends came by and saw what happened to Job, and they were afraid that it was the judgment of God and that next it would fall on them, who were worse than Job.

So they asked Job what he had done wrong. Then they demanded Job confess to what he had done wrong. Then they convinced themselves that Job, their good friend, must have secretly been the devil all along, because they were so afraid.

God asked Job if it was wrong for someone to think they know what God should be doing, because otherwise Job's friends wouldn't have listened to the answer. But the only people God demanded restitution from were Job's friends.

The book of Job can end there, because the point of the book of Job is this: don't look for evil, and don't be happy when you find it.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Kind of makes you wonder - everyone's had a turn at this cabin, right? Has somebody from Group South already turned into a devil? Is this the aftermath?

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Remember, kids, cultivate alcohol snobbery at a young age! It'll save you from situations like these and might just prevent alcoholism! Sailor Wonderella says!

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Well, I suppose if you can never be honest with yourself about what's really making you mad, you may as well just bottle it up since yelling at people won't do you any good.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Old-timey medicine is far more entertaining to read about than to actually experience.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
I have to say, now that we've met the devil twice even these conversations feel like they have hidden sides to them.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
It does kind of say something that Jupiter and Neptune aren't really willing to acknowledge that Venus is the devil even when they're getting strafed by fireflies.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
I realizing we're dealing with an only superficially similar scripture here, but I wonder if there's anything like the "where two or three are gathered in my name" passages in it, and what they say.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
So, the devil "only gets one moment".

I wonder if that's more of a protocol than a tenet of faith. It seems as if the devil is vulnerable for one moment - for the moment of birth, while it's still trying to find a way to express itself.

• Locked thread