Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mouse Dresser
Sep 4, 2002

This isn't Middle Earth, Quentin. There aren't enough noble quests to go around.

The Motherfucking Coat of Legend

Black Sails returns on January 23, 2016 on Starz.

A prequel to the classic Robert Louis Stevenson novel "Treasure Island," "Black Sails" is a pirate adventure that centers on the tales of Captain Flint, who has a reputation throughout the West Indies as being the most brilliant, most feared of all the Golden Age pirates. It's 1715, and as Flint fights for the survival of New Providence Island -- a debauched paradise teeming with pirates, prostitutes, thieves and fortune seekers -- in the wake of threats from British and Spanish forces, he aligns himself with Eleanor Guthrie, daughter of the local kingpin, to hunt the ultimate prize and ensure his people's survival. But standing in the way are rival captains, Eleanor's intrusive father, and perhaps the bigger obstacle of all: John Silver, a young, fast-talking, authority-flouting sailor recently added to Flint's crew.

The characters:

Captain Flint
Played by Toby Stephens

A former British naval officer, disgraced and betrayed, he is now the grim face of death in the West Indies.
Last seen: Escaping his hanging, shooting Ashe, and teaming up with Vane. All while wearing The Coat.

Captain Chales Vane
Played by Zach McGowan

Allied with former enemies, Vane is forced to betray his own values. For him, the costs of defending Nassau continue to mount. Is he strong enough to survive what's coming?
Last seen: Helping Flint escape, losing control of the fort, and showing Eleanor what effigies are all about.

Eleanor Guthrie
Played by Hannah New

Exiled from her home and sentenced to hang, Eleanor is now London's most notorious convict. She is granted the opportunity to return to Nassau in service to its new governor, but her survival hinges on one question: can she let go of the past?
Last seen: Releasing the daughter of the governor of South Carolina, finding out about effigies and her father's death.

Captain Jack Rackham
Played by Toby Schmitz

Sitting atop a mountain of Spanish gold, Rackham is finally in a position to win friends, secure his reputation and preserve Nassau for the ages. But when civilization returns to reclaim its island, he will learn that money can only buy so much...

Mr. Scott
Played by Hakeem Kae-Kazim

More than anyone, Scott recognizes the perils that Nassau faces without Eleanor Guthrie. With the ground shifting beneath his feet, he must make a decision to protect that which he truly loves.
Last seen: Pirating it up, trying to talk some loving sense into everyone.

John Silver
Played by Luke Arnold

He was once an outcast, but Silver is now the beloved quartermaster of Flint's crew. But when Flint's campaign of terror crosses over into madness, it falls to Silver to locate the man within the monster, before it's too late.

Anne Bonny
Played by Clara Paget

A beacon of loyalty in a sea of shifting alliances, Anne Bonny is caught between her partnership with Rackham and her love for Max. But, when an upheaval on the island forces unpleasant truths to surface, she must choose once and for all where, and with whom, she belongs.

Billy Bones
Played by Tom Hopper

Still distrustful of his leadership, Billy must put aside his feelings for the sake of his crew's survival. But when a new front opens on the war on civilization, Billy sees a different role for himself. One where he need never be beholden to Flint again.
Last seen: Lying about murder. Flexing those amazing forearms. :quagmire:

Max
Played by Jessica Parker Kennedy

With Eleanor exiled, Max is now the nexus between the pirates and the street, a position of great power and influence. But, when the return of civilization threatens to unseat her, Max sets a plan in motion that will have dire consequences for the island, as well as her relationship with Anne Bonny.
Last seen: Frolicking in the piles of Spanish gold with Anne and Rackham, while wearing slightly more modest dresses.

Woodes Rogers
Played by Luke Roberts

The new face of civilization in the West Indies, Woodes Rogers arrives in Nassau backed by immense power. He is armed with an insidious plan to end piracy for good.

Miranda Barlow
Played by Louise Barnes

DEAD.

And lest we forget the new addition this season:

Edward Teach
Played by Ray Stevenson

One of the most notorious pirates to have ever lived, Edward Teach ALSO KNOWN AS BLACKBEARD returns to the account to settle some unfinished business. But, a great deal has changed in his absence, and to cement his legacy, he will have to challenge Nassau's most powerful at sea, on land, and at the end of a sword.

It's reported that the budget has been increased for this season, so here's hoping for more insane ship battles.

Once again, the third season premiers on Starz on January 23, 2016.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Turkina_Prime
Oct 26, 2013

This is one of my fav shows right now. Season 2 stepped it up big time, can't wait to see what they do this season.

Hopefully we'll see more of the TITS, FRUIT guy.

JIZZ DENOUEMENT
Oct 3, 2012

STRIKE!
ffffffffffffffart

poo poo moves way too slow at times and the characters change their mind all the time for the convenience of the plot. I'll maybe watch s3 once it's all out so I can skip the inevitable long stretches of nothing happening.

Still, nice coat.

Mouse Dresser
Sep 4, 2002

This isn't Middle Earth, Quentin. There aren't enough noble quests to go around.
I've been waiting for this show to come back so I can get my gratuitous pirate nudity.

Nameless Pete
May 8, 2007

Get a load of those...
Season premier seems to already be up in my Comcast on-demand. So there's that.

Fauxshiz
Jan 3, 2007
Jumbo Sized
Why won't it come up on Amazon :( I don't have any cable things.

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

Blackbeard gonna be legit this season

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
One of the best shows on TV

I hope season 3 can keep it up

CrazyLoon
Aug 10, 2015

"..."
gently caress the "it's too slow" people. gently caress the "too many tits" crowd. Best goddamn show on TV for me right now.

quote:

John Silver
Played by Luke Arnold

He was once an outcast, but Silver is now the beloved quartermaster of Flint's crew. But when Flint's campaign of terror crosses over into madness, it falls to Silver to locate the man within the monster, before it's too late.

Every speech he will make this season will, by definition, be a stump speech.

TEAH SYAG
Oct 2, 2009

by Lowtax

CrazyLoon posted:

gently caress the "it's too slow" people. gently caress the "too many tits" crowd. Best goddamn show on TV for me right now.

Every speech he will make this season will, by definition, be a stump speech.

I have high expectations from someone who represents a national chain of pirate themed restaraunts

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

Holy gently caress, that was certainly a season opener. :stare:
This is going to be a loving great season.
Ray Stevenson as Edward is loving inspired casting. :allears:

Also, this must be the season of the beards since everyone has seems to have one now.

JIZZ DENOUEMENT posted:

ffffffffffffffart

poo poo moves way too slow at times and the characters change their mind all the time for the convenience of the plot. I'll maybe watch s3 once it's all out so I can skip the inevitable long stretches of nothing happening.

Still, nice coat.

That wasn't slow at all and the characters are loving lawless pirates so of course they're going to change their minds a lot especially when it's beneficial.

Mouse Dresser
Sep 4, 2002

Just watched the season premier, and I have to say, it was a very good episode. It set up the third season nicely while reminding you of the important elements from the previous seasons.

I really loved the set up with the empty ship and the captain who went mad and killed himself.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Just started watching it

What an introduction! THIRTEEN! :hist101::black101:

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Coat confirmed!

PlushCow
Oct 19, 2005

The cow eats the grass
I'm really glad how fast things are starting and that they show that there's a pact between Max/Bonney/Rackham and Flint/Vane concerning the gold, without having to spend half a season getting there.

With Blackbeard, I found his calm demeanor really unsettling in the face of three guys there to kill him, their growing fear apparent on their faces as they realize who their former brother in law is.

Good start to the season :yarr:

Turkina_Prime
Oct 26, 2013

Flint is loving brutal now.

"I hoped you would see I'm a man of honor" *BANG*

*screaming* *BANG*

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Deakul posted:

Ray Stevenson as Edward is loving inspired casting. :allears:

It's awesome getting Ray Stevenson back in a big budget TV show

CrazyLoon
Aug 10, 2015

"..."

BurtLington posted:

"I hoped you would see I'm a man of honor" *BANG*

*screaming* *BANG*

I like to imagine that he actually could see that.

He just doesn't care much anymore.

TyrantWD
Nov 6, 2010
Ignore my doomerism, I don't think better things are possible

BurtLington posted:

Let's not forget that in the very first episode Flint bashed in Singleton's head.

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

Everybody seems grimmer and more badass than before.

I like it!

Also, it is probably obvious, but:

Was the ghost ship with the captain who was stranded and committed suicide the slaver that Vane plundered? Or was it a different ship entirely that was left as bait by the pirate hunting ship?

Great season opener.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Vane threw the slaver overboard with chains tied to his feet because VANE HATES SLAVERS.

Fun fact about Woodes Rogers is that on a previous expedition he was sued by crew members because he didn't pay their shares.

Tokubetsu
Dec 18, 2007

Love Is Not Enough
I just love how Flint's entire character trait as a pirate is "What is the most mad answer for this current situation?" Then he does it.

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

It's both thrilling and terrifying.
gently caress I'm so happy this show is back.

So good. Soooooooooooo good.

Except the Max character, for some reason she annoys the hell out of me and I wish she would die already.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
Flint ain't loving around this season, is he?

Magnificent.

Roman Reigns
Aug 23, 2007

I think Vane's gonna die this season. There's a lot turning against the pirates now and he's too up front to be spared from it.

Tokubetsu posted:

I just love how Flint's entire character trait as a pirate is "What is the most mad answer for this current situation?" Then he does it.

Me: uh...so he's not fighting? He's not surrendering? Then wha--oh..OH. :stare:

CrazyLoon
Aug 10, 2015

"..."

Roman Reigns posted:

I think Vane's gonna die this season. There's a lot turning against the pirates now and he's too up front to be spared from it.

I made a slightly different prediction to myself: Either Vane will die this season, or Eleanor will. One of these two characters cannot continue living for the story to progress past this season, I think.

Or, yaknow...both of them die, which is also a possibility if the writers decided to go full-out :black101: with this season, as its premier deffo would seem to indicate.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
https://twitter.com/ScrambledLuke/status/690985265255571459

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Billy Bones has more guns than a pirate ship

Falukorv
Jun 23, 2013

A funny little mouse!
What happened to Flint's Spanish galleon?

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

I wonder how many more seasons they have planned because in real life some of the major characters didn't live much longer. Based on the Woodes Rogers stuff this season takes place in 1718 and in real life (major spoilers) Jack Rackham was executed in 1720 and Vane in 1721. Most famously, Blackbeard doesn't even survive the year.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
We sperged over this 2 seasons ago. No one gives a gently caress about facts anymore. Same goes for Vikings and Spartacus.

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

muscles like this? posted:

I wonder how many more seasons they have planned because in real life some of the major characters didn't live much longer. Based on the Woodes Rogers stuff this season takes place in 1718 and in real life (major spoilers) Jack Rackham was executed in 1720 and Vane in 1721. Most famously, Blackbeard doesn't even survive the year.

I don't think this is following history down to the T, it's more of a play set with a bunch of famous pirates and historical figures plotting and scheming in it.

But, I think it'd be pretty ballsy to kill off some characters this year and I'd respect the show more for it!

Nameless Pete
May 8, 2007

Get a load of those...
Yeah, going historically, Ned Low doesn't even enter the scene until most of our historical characters are dead.

Edit: Man you ever try to spoiler something, but you're so on auto-pilot that you end up italicizing instead and feel like a jerk?

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Roman Reigns
Aug 23, 2007

Falukorv posted:

What happened to Flint's Spanish galleon?

Maybe they redesigned it? I think the ship we saw bears similarities, and I imagine Flint would take the time to make his ship less Spanish looking

Gazaar
Mar 23, 2005

.txt

Roman Reigns posted:

Maybe they redesigned it? I think the ship we saw bears similarities, and I imagine Flint would take the time to make his ship less Spanish looking

I'm pretty sure he's sailing the Walrus again, they mentioned it by name.

If I had to guess the galleon is probably guarding the fort area of Nassau.

unlawfulsoup
May 12, 2001

Welcome home boys!
Blackbeard is going to be awesome. Generally speaking I am stoked, angry Flint is the best Flint. I was REALLY hoping they had gotten rid of Eleanor as she just fits poorly in the world of black sails, but like a bad penny...

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Deakul posted:

I don't think this is following history down to the T, it's more of a play set with a bunch of famous pirates and historical figures plotting and scheming in it.

But, I think it'd be pretty ballsy to kill off some characters this year and I'd respect the show more for it!

Yeah but the circumstances of Vane's downfall and death are pretty drat TV dramatic as it is, so I would imagine they would want to keep that.

Gazaar posted:

I'm pretty sure he's sailing the Walrus again, they mentioned it by name.

If I had to guess the galleon is probably guarding the fort area of Nassau.

The season 1 Walrus was obliterated. Flint always names his ship the Walrus.

Rad Gravity
Mar 14, 2012

Aphrodite posted:

The season 1 Walrus was obliterated. Flint always names his ship the Walrus.

It wasn't, Calico Jack refloated the wrecked Walrus so he could bring home all the Spanish gold.

I'm so happy I decided to start watching seasons 1 & 2 on Netflix some time last week, finishing just in time for season 3 which I had no idea was going to drop that very same week!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Oh, so it was the Ranger that got destroyed I guess?

• Locked thread