Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Chuf
Jun 28, 2011

I had that weird dream again.
Ah, that would explain all the thinly-veiled South African accents.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Immortan
Jun 6, 2015

by Shine

Robutt posted:

Ah, that would explain all the thinly-veiled South African accents.

And Palm Trees & beaches that make you horny.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

EDIT: Nevermind, question already answered.

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY
Thought I'd mention this, since Black Sails has a lot of tall ships:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3568740/Captain-Cook-s-HMS-Endeavour-United-States.html?ito=social-facebook

Archaeologists believe they've found the HMS Endeavour, Captain Cook's ship, off Newport, Rhode Island.

VagueRant
May 24, 2012

Robutt posted:

I realise all the ship battles are greenscreen but they are great and I need more of them.
But you've seen that they use actual ships in actual water for general ship scenes though, right?

The set is simultaneously super impressive and also...kind of disappointingly small? But it's like they loving built Nassau.

EDIT: there's also a video tour courtesty of Charles Vane. Interesting footage, but horribly edited.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X5Nyzma9Gp0

VagueRant fucked around with this message at 21:50 on May 2, 2016

hollylolly
Jun 5, 2009

Do you like superheroes? Check out my CYOA Mutants: Uprising

How about weird historical fiction? Try Vampires of the Caribbean

http://m.channel24.co.za/channel24/TV/News/massive-damage-as-fire-engulfs-black-sails-set-20160505

There was a fire at the set today, and reportedly one of the ships was burnt. :smith:

CrazyLoon
Aug 10, 2015

"..."
Darnit...I suppose therein lies the risk of actually going the distance and not relying on CGI. I'm glad no one was hurt, at least from what I could read, but yea...this'll deffo throw a wrench in their budget/schedule. :(

richardfun
Aug 10, 2008

Twenty years? It's no wonder I'm so hungry. Do you have anything to eat?

CrazyLoon posted:

Darnit...I suppose therein lies the risk of actually going the distance and not relying on CGI. I'm glad no one was hurt, at least from what I could read, but yea...this'll deffo throw a wrench in their budget/schedule. :(

I agree it probably messes with the production schedule, but I have to think they have insurance for these kinds of accidents.

Rarrgh
Nov 7, 2011
Just finished season 3. One of the best shows around right now.

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal
Suck it Up and Keep Wrestling
Just binged S3 after watching S2 live last year. I didn't think S2 could be topped but drat, this show is loving.....tight! I was so invested in every character in the last episode.

And man, Ray S as Blackbeard is so perfect, this show is so sexy

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal
Suck it Up and Keep Wrestling
and man, Vane's death....gently caress guys.......gently caress ELEANOR!

edit: also Ann without her hat and her hair down, wow. Everyone in this show is so attractive

Pron on VHS fucked around with this message at 20:39 on Jul 3, 2016

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY
Vane may be dead but he went out like a loving boss. Salut.

And yeah, this is easily one of my favorite shows on TV right now. Excellent writing.

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

I can't wait to entertain you.
Welp, another four and done Starz series:

http://www.ew.com/article/2016/07/20/black-sails-final-season-4-starz

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010

Nothing wrong with that. Always seems like there's a high chance s series will start to be dog poo poo when it goes over 4.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Makes sense in the story too. They're heading to war, and there probably won't be many survivors.

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

It's both thrilling and terrifying.
I guess I should read Treasure Island.

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

We don't really need it but I'd be so down for a treasure island remake with the Silver we got.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Considering that Spartacus did the same and went out on what I feel is arguably the best series finale of any show I have ever seen I'm not exactly bummed by these news. Shows should not run past their expiration dates just because they're doing good. It always sours me on a show when you have a fantastic couple of early seasons and then the later seasons just re-threads plotlines and character development like a broken record to the point of self-parody (Looking at you Oz :argh:) because the writers ran out of ideas.

As Nero Danced
Sep 3, 2009

Alright, let's do this
Well, that sucks. At least they're choosing to do it and they always had an end point they were working towards. That and the writers have done good on this show so far (as well as the actors, and set design, costume design, sound, directors, gently caress they did everything pretty good on this show) so I trust them to go out on a strong note.

I wonder if they're going to include Treasure Island in the last episode(s) of if they hope to make a movie.

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010

MiddleOne posted:

Considering that Spartacus did the same and went out on what I feel is arguably the best series finale of any show I have ever seen I'm not exactly bummed by these news. Shows should not run past their expiration dates just because they're doing good. It always sours me on a show when you have a fantastic couple of early seasons and then the later seasons just re-threads plotlines and character development like a broken record to the point of self-parody (Looking at you Oz :argh:) because the writers ran out of ideas.

Spartacus was a edge case though because it's main actor from season one died. They could have gotten 4 real 10 episode seasons out of spartacus easy. Still a great show!

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

I can't wait to entertain you.
Yeah, historically the absent/shortened events which could have been covered in Spartacus seasons 3 and 4 would have enough material for at least a few more seasons. They just ended up cramming them all into together. It still worked, but some of those set pieces could have been made for interesting longer plots. I'll also agree with it having arguably one of the best season finales of all time.

As for Black Sails, I really was hoping we'd get a flash forward Treasure Island final season. Maybe we'll at least get a coda with old Billy Bones.

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

Aw gently caress this kind of sucks but since it's on their own terms I'm not that bummed.

I'm a little weirded out that this is going to lead directly into Treasure Island though, wasn't this set like 40 years before the books? Going to be some time fuckery methinks.

Deakul fucked around with this message at 02:10 on Jul 21, 2016

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

I'm sure it'll just go up until Flint betrays them and buries the treasure. It's been a long time since I read Treasure Island, but I'm pretty sure no one but Gunn knows where the treasure really is.

CrazyLoon
Aug 10, 2015

"..."
Kinda sad on the one hand, but as others have said yea...I am now even moreso interested to see how they wrap it all up and after my expectations for Season 3 I didn't think that was possible!

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back

MiddleOne posted:

Considering that Spartacus did the same and went out on what I feel is arguably the best series finale of any show I have ever seen I'm not exactly bummed by these news.

It was pretty good, but Six Feet Under will always hold the title for best series finale and that is just for the last 5 minutes.

life is killing me
Oct 28, 2007

Deakul posted:

Aw gently caress this kind of sucks but since it's on their own terms I'm not that bummed.

I'm a little weirded out that this is going to lead directly into Treasure Island though, wasn't this set like 40 years before the books? Going to be some time fuckery methinks.

Pretty sure it's twenty years

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

life is killing me posted:

Pretty sure it's twenty years

That still doesn't make much sense. :v:

How much time has actually passed since the show started? I feel like it's only been a year or two from what I've gleaned through the discussions characters have had.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

It's not going to lead directly in time wise. There's a significant amount of time between the treasure being buried and the beginning of Treasure Island.

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

Aphrodite posted:

It's not going to lead directly in time wise. There's a significant amount of time between the treasure being buried and the beginning of Treasure Island.

Oh, fair enough then.

life is killing me
Oct 28, 2007

Deakul posted:

How much time has actually passed since the show started? I feel like it's only been a year or two from what I've gleaned through the discussions characters have had.

A difference of twenty years is pretty significant too--it's the difference between Silver being middle-aged and an old man.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

The funny thing is that 4 years is actually longer than most of the historical pirates' careers. If you look on Wikipedia you see a lot of 1-2 year runs once they turn pirate.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

The Golden Age of Piracy only lasted 10 years by some interpretations.

CrazyLoon
Aug 10, 2015

"..."

muscles like this? posted:

The funny thing is that 4 years is actually longer than most of the historical pirates' careers. If you look on Wikipedia you see a lot of 1-2 year runs once they turn pirate.

I did like Blackbeard lampshading this over Flint TBH: "Either you're unkillable, friend,...or way overdue!"

HUGE SPACEKABLOOIE
Mar 31, 2010

Deakul posted:

At least long enough for Eleanore to sail from Nassau to England, be holed up there, then sail back.

mania
Sep 9, 2004
Teaser for S4 :yarr:

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

Well I finally got around to playing Assassin's Creed IV and I must say it feels very much like "Black Sails: The Game". Either that or Black Sails is "Assassin's Creed IV: The TV Show". Did either one rip off the other? I enjoy both very much (with the exception of the Templar vs. Assassin plot in the game which leaves me cold, or the modern day computer hacker stuff).

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Zwabu posted:

Well I finally got around to playing Assassin's Creed IV and I must say it feels very much like "Black Sails: The Game". Either that or Black Sails is "Assassin's Creed IV: The TV Show". Did either one rip off the other? I enjoy both very much (with the exception of the Templar vs. Assassin plot in the game which leaves me cold, or the modern day computer hacker stuff).

It's called history

HUGE SPACEKABLOOIE
Mar 31, 2010

:black101:

CrazyLoon
Aug 10, 2015

"..."
I am so making a very goony hype vid around this show, before it starts up for the last time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

Zwabu posted:

Did the show based on Treasure Island, a hundred and thirty year old book, rip off a video game?

No.

No it didn't.

• Locked thread