Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
spronk
Feb 5, 2011

Now I am become Death, the destroyer of worlds.

Iseeyouseemeseeyou posted:

That show got a second season? I quit it after the first episode

you should get back into it, season 1 was ok but season 2 really stepped it up, its a pretty awesome Fallout 4 type post apocalyptic series that pulls no punches. I'd put it just a notch below Black Sails. Season 3 just started last week.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tokubetsu
Dec 18, 2007

Love Is Not Enough
If you want to sell him on it all you need to say is that by the end of season one the kill count is about as high as Black Sails is right now. Praise Wanheda.

Show goes from gorgeous kids in a YA adventure to brutal by the end of the second or third episode.

Nameless Pete
May 8, 2007

Get a load of those...

muscles like this? posted:

Speaking of historical stuff, I'm kind of surprised they still haven't introduced Mary Read yet considering how important she was to Anne and Jack. IRL she didn't start hanging out with them for another couple of years but she was active as a pirate at this time.

Mary Read joined Rackham's crew in drag and didn't out herself as female until Anne Bonny propositioned her, so I like to pretend she's actually been on the show for a while now and is just doing a really bang-up job crossdressing.

E: Mary is Joji. No one would ever suspect.

Nameless Pete fucked around with this message at 09:47 on Jan 27, 2016

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

Tokubetsu posted:

If you want to sell him on it all you need to say is that by the end of season one the kill count is about as high as Black Sails is right now. Praise Wanheda.

Show goes from gorgeous kids in a YA adventure to brutal by the end of the second or third episode.

Black Sails kind of chickenshit, never had any of it's leads slowly torture babies to death. The 100 goes hard.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Hahahaha what a champ.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

This is season 3.

On Terra Firma
Feb 12, 2008

Aphrodite posted:

This is season 3.

I think they were referring to The 100. I actually just started it on the recommendation of this thread. I'm.....not sure I'm on board yet.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

On Terra Firma posted:

I think they were referring to The 100. I actually just started it on the recommendation of this thread. I'm.....not sure I'm on board yet.

Yeah, I did too. The 100 is on season 3 now.

On Terra Firma
Feb 12, 2008

Aphrodite posted:

Yeah, I did too. The 100 is on season 3 now.

It's a shame the pilot loving sucked because a few episodes in it's gotten really good. If anyone is looking to kill time between episodes of BS this is a nice diversion to binge.

HUGE SPACEKABLOOIE
Mar 31, 2010

Boogaleeboo posted:

Black Sails kind of chickenshit, never had any of it's leads slowly torture babies to death. The 100 goes hard.

To be fair Ghengis Clarke hasn't smashed anyones face in with a cannonball. Yet.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
I think the pilot was a masterpiece of engineering. Gave the network something they thought they wanted, then pulled the rug out and went "HA!... kill everyone!"

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

The 100 is great and you should rewatch it. The pilot is what it is for a good reason.

TyrantWD
Nov 6, 2010
Ignore my doomerism, I don't think better things are possible

HUGE SPACEKABLOOIE posted:

To be fair Ghengis Clarke hasn't smashed anyones face in with a cannonball. Yet.

You don't become Genghis Clarke by killing people one at a time.

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!
Waiting a week between episodes sucks and is bad.

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY
It is known.

gohmak
Feb 12, 2004
cookies need love
I'm very confused. Did I miss an episode before the premiere?

gohmak
Feb 12, 2004
cookies need love

Boogaleeboo posted:

The 100 is terrible.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

gohmak posted:

The 100 is terrible.

You are terrible.

welwala harris
Jan 28, 2005
How few people watch this show is loving criminal

Space Pussy
Feb 19, 2011

What time exactly do the episodes go up on Amazon stream?

edit: Teach is terrifying. I totally throw down to be on dat crew. 13!:pirate:

Space Pussy fucked around with this message at 19:04 on Jan 30, 2016

On Terra Firma
Feb 12, 2008

gohmak posted:

The 100 is terrible.

It's....ok. After the first few episodes it drops off.

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

Jesus Christ, this episode gave me so much god damned anxiety.

I never want to go on a boat ever again.

CrazyLoon
Aug 10, 2015

"..."

Space Pussy posted:

edit: Teach is terrifying. I totally throw down to be on dat crew. 13!:pirate:

Was pretty much what I suspected his position would be. What I liked a lot, tho, was the backstory, of how it took Eleanor, Hornigold and in the end even for her to gently caress Vane's brains out, just so that they could shove him off into the sea. And that the only reason it worked was, because he couldn't bring himself to kill his apprentice. I liked how they revealed that, because at first you hear Eleanor's account of it, and she delivers it like it was all Q.E.D., duh, of course he'd go! Then you hear Teach's POV, and no, not loving really...he was absolutely willing to kill every motherfucker using whatever he had to...every one, except ofc Vane, in whom he saw future potential, even after he plainly chased after a skirt.

It was the only time that his will, which he correctly deduced was what mattered most, faltered. And it's definitely something to wonder about, just how much of a weakness Vane still is to him right now...and how that'll affect what's to come.

I also think that Eleanor and Hornigold deserve each other. I mean, cripes...both of them have so much pride that they're willing to do literally anything to save their skins and ego. And I have to say, Woodes Rogers' handling of them both is deffo making me take a liking to his character.

CrazyLoon fucked around with this message at 00:03 on Jan 31, 2016

Roman Reigns
Aug 23, 2007

Cherryburst posted:

How few people watch this show is loving criminal

Enough for a season 4 though.

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

So, uh, who's in charge of Nassau in the present day? Is...is it a democratic group of colorful pirates and con artists? :ohdear:

Mouse Dresser
Sep 4, 2002

This isn't Middle Earth, Quentin. There aren't enough noble quests to go around.

Phenotype posted:

So, uh, who's in charge of Nassau in the present day? Is...is it a democratic group of colorful pirates and con artists? :ohdear:

Technically, Woodes Rogers once he gets there, but England has sent him to govern. In the mean time, yeah, it's a Pirate Playhouse.

Toby Stephens and Luke Arnold were loving amazing in this episode. #2 was a really intense episode, and I can only hope it keeps getting better this season.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

I know most shows don't get a larger budget in subsequent seasons but it really looks like they've been throwing money at this season. The ship effects are just so much better this year, especially the parts filmed on the boat sets.

gohmak
Feb 12, 2004
cookies need love

gohmak posted:

The 100 is terrible.

And racist

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"

Deakul posted:

Jesus Christ, this episode gave me so much god damned anxiety.

I never want to go on a boat ever again.

Seconding this. What a goddamn nightmare huge storms must have been in that era of sea exploration. I mean, they're awful now, but back then, with the wooden ships? Pirating ain't easy.

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY
The fact that a storm like that would hardly stir the coffee on a modern aircraft carrier kinda puts how far we've come in perspective.

ShakeZula
Jun 17, 2003

Nobody move and nobody gets hurt.

That dude drowning 2 inches below the surface of the water was brutal as gently caress. Poor Silver :(

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

While the guy losing his second bag o gold was funny as hell.

Nameless Pete
May 8, 2007

Get a load of those...
I know it's dumb to cry historical inaccuracy on this show, but Spanish pieces of eight were made of silver, not gold. They should be doubloons.

On the subject, I know exchange rates are tricky when dealing with 300-year-old foreign currency, but how much money are Rackham and company actually sitting on?

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Apparently the real amount was 350,000 pieces of eight. So however much that is in modern money.

CrazyLoon
Aug 10, 2015

"..."

Gonz posted:

Seconding this. What a goddamn nightmare huge storms must have been in that era of sea exploration. I mean, they're awful now, but back then, with the wooden ships? Pirating ain't easy.

Were it not for Billy Bones' amazing forearms, he prolly woulda fell off too.

CeeJee
Dec 4, 2001
Oven Wrangler

Gonz posted:

This footage from 1929 on a ship centuries more advanced is still terrifying: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_zSNQrVSOpE&t=1516s

"The two fellas in this shot got washed overboard, two empty bunks and nothing much said"

Also, I have a feeling that captain is going to deeply regret telling Eleanor which ship has all their food on it.

CeeJee fucked around with this message at 11:50 on Jan 31, 2016

Pump it up! Do it!
Oct 3, 2012
Ray Stevenson is the best, I just hope that they don't kill him off at the end of the season.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
i guess huffing sails and hanging on for dear life, explains Billy forearms. That looked like hard loving work.

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

Mouse Dresser posted:

Technically, Woodes Rogers once he gets there, but England has sent him to govern. In the mean time, yeah, it's a Pirate Playhouse.

Toby Stephens and Luke Arnold were loving amazing in this episode. #2 was a really intense episode, and I can only hope it keeps getting better this season.

I suppose what I'm asking is what ends up happening, historically, to Nassau. I don't remember much from a trip there when I was in grade school, but I'm pretty sure it wasn't still run by a loveable gang of whores and pirates. Is this Woodes Rogers the guy who ends up taking over the place?

I don't even know that I want to hear about all this. The end of Deadwood was such a downer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Rocksicles posted:

i guess huffing sails and hanging on for dear life, explains Billy forearms. That looked like hard loving work.

A fun fact is the show creators let the actors devise workout for their characters based on their back stories.

For Tom Hopper he saw his character as a guy who spent the whole day climbing up and down the rigging, hence having the whole massive guns.

etalian fucked around with this message at 17:24 on Jan 31, 2016

• Locked thread