Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Alan_Shore posted:

How do you know? :p

Given the flap between the FBI and Apple last summer, it's safe to say that there aren't intentional backdoors being there. Even if there were, you can speculate and say that maybe there are backdoors engineered into western handsets. On the other hand we know, with 100% certainty that there are backdoors in Chinese handsets.

It's one thing to say that "Hey it could be happening to everyone!" but it's quite another when you can be absolutely sure it does happen in a specific case and yet still defend it. It's not a defense of it in any case. "But my sister did it too!" didn't work when I got trouble as a five year old, what kind of idiot would accept that defense from a malicious government?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

You're absolutely right, it's indefensible. And it definitely does happen with certain Chinese handsets (maybe all of them).

In an ideal world I'd rather no one steal my data. But if I had choice between China or America, well... I just don't see what China would do with it. I don't see how it would help them at all.

I'll wait and see what happens with the Mi Mix, maybe there won't be any spyware? There probably won't be, right?

Pilsner
Nov 23, 2002

LastInLine posted:

I was waiting for the rationalization knowing it would be amazing and you did not disappoint. Thanks! :)
I hacked your iPhone using a ChineseTaiwanese backdoor and found a selfie of you:

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Alan_Shore posted:

You're absolutely right, it's indefensible. And it definitely does happen with certain Chinese handsets (maybe all of them).

In an ideal world I'd rather no one steal my data. But if I had choice between China or America, well... I just don't see what China would do with it. I don't see how it would help them at all.

I'll wait and see what happens with the Mi Mix, maybe there won't be any spyware? There probably won't be, right?

You don't have a choice about America stealing your data, they just don't do it on the handset. They steal it on the back end or over the network. So it's not an either/or choice but rather one or both.

But aside from that, the issue isn't about whether you want China to steal the data or not, it's about whether you want an insecure handset by default or not. It didn't take state actors with billions in funding to find these vulnerabilities in Chinese-made kernels and OEM software, it took white hat researchers with no profit incentive a few hours. The holes are so poorly coded that they were obvious to anyone looking for them. That means that anyone who DOES have a profit motive for finding root exploits and sandbox escapes, like a malware author, is also likely to find them without disclosing them.

You're changing the software on the handset so this might not apply to you (though depending on the chipset and how much of the OEM kernel code is in there, it might) but it probably applies to most of the people who would buy them.

Pilsner posted:

I hacked your iPhone using a ChineseTaiwanese backdoor and found a selfie of you:

It's like looking at a flat-earther. You know rationalizations this strong exist, but when you see them up close it's still amazing. My favorite part is the doubling down when confronted with the proof that reality doesn't conform to your beliefs. Keep going, I'm almost there...

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse
Yeah no, "Chinese companies have government-mandated backdoors in their software" isn't some kind of weird conspiracy theory, it's something that's been proven repeatedly.

whatever7
Jul 26, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

LastInLine posted:

Given the flap between the FBI and Apple last summer, it's safe to say that there aren't intentional backdoors being there. Even if there were, you can speculate and say that maybe there are backdoors engineered into western handsets. On the other hand we know, with 100% certainty that there are backdoors in Chinese handsets.

It's one thing to say that "Hey it could be happening to everyone!" but it's quite another when you can be absolutely sure it does happen in a specific case and yet still defend it. It's not a defense of it in any case. "But my sister did it too!" didn't work when I got trouble as a five year old, what kind of idiot would accept that defense from a malicious government?

Nah if NSA has a backdoor in the soc level for iPhone, they wouldn't sacrifice it for this guy's work iPhone.

Also NSA has backdoors in all US carriers, they probably looked through all the text/email of that iPhone already and decided it was clean.

BTW, China also has complete cooperation of Chinese carriers. They use it a lot more literally for domestic police investigation. For example, a guy got killed in some remote road, they pulled the record of the nearby cell towers, got list of unknown sim card that was not locals and pinged the tower during that time. They then crossed reference to nearby cell towers to filter out the sims that moved very fast during that time. They were able to catch killer who was basically randomly passing by the area and killed for pocket money.

Pilsner
Nov 23, 2002

LastInLine posted:

It's like looking at a flat-earther. You know rationalizations this strong exist, but when you see them up close it's still amazing. My favorite part is the doubling down when confronted with the proof that reality doesn't conform to your beliefs. Keep going, I'm almost there...
I'm not calling you a liar, I'm just saying it doesn't matter so much to me. Show me some proof that the data of a user of a Chinese smartphone has been used for commercial or ill gain (identity theft, blackmail, botnet, spam or similar) and I'll give you a nod. There's a very long way from semi-spyware with a potential security loophole to active abuse that results in the loss of something for the end user.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

whatever7 posted:

Nah if NSA has a backdoor in the soc level for iPhone, they wouldn't sacrifice it for this guy's work iPhone.

Also NSA has backdoors in all US carriers, they probably looked through all the text/email of that iPhone already and decided it was clean.

BTW, China also has complete cooperation of Chinese carriers. They use it a lot more literally for domestic police investigation. For example, a guy got killed in some remote road, they pulled the record of the nearby cell towers, got list of unknown sim card that was not locals and pinged the tower during that time. They then crossed reference to nearby cell towers to filter out the sims that moved very fast during that time. They were able to catch killer who was basically randomly passing by the area and killed for pocket money.

That's all stuff to be expected and also completely irrelevant to the point I posted. Of course governments have access to the infrastructure, but we're talking about devices.

So to be succinct:

We know there to be backdoors in software produced by Chinese companies, and malicious actors, both state agencies and malware producers can find and exploit those backdoors.

Of course you can't safeguard yourself against a state actor, but certainly one would be wise to avoid devices with known, exploitable security holes? It seems like the argument being posited is that because perfect security is impossible, there is no value in caring about it at all which is just ridiculous on its face. Do you leave your door unlocked simply because a SWAT team can break it down if they want? Do you use the use the knowledge that battering rams exist to justify not even owning a lock?

Again, it's not like this is theoretical or unproven. It is known with 100% certainty that these exploits have been and will continue to be present. Is it just the assumption that there is nothing valuable worth safeguarding on your device? Or is it the assumption that since you don't know about it personally and intimately that it may as well not exist and is therefore not a risk?

ClassActionFursuit fucked around with this message at 14:28 on Oct 29, 2016

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

Everything you are saying is absolutely true. For me I think it's the second question you posed, as well as hoping that the Mi Mix is a big deal and I'm hoping that Xioami will be more stringent with security, as well as hoping that root and ROMs will give more security/control over my device, and that if there is an exploit someone will find it and I'll know about it and remedy it (probably).

I shouldn't HAVE to do any of this, but I'd rather put up with a possibility of that and have an interesting phone than pay an extra $200 for a boring Pixel.

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

yea I'd much rather pay 400 dollars for a phone that is guaranteed to be compromised but will maybe get fixed

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

Are you mocking me son

whatever7
Jul 26, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

LastInLine posted:

That's all stuff to be expected and also completely irrelevant to the point I posted. Of course governments have access to the infrastructure, but we're talking about devices.

So to be succinct:

We know there to be backdoors in software produced by Chinese companies, and malicious actors, both state agencies and malware producers can find and exploit those backdoors.

Of course you can't safeguard yourself against a state actor, but certainly one would be wise to avoid devices with known, exploitable security holes? It seems like the argument being posited is that because perfect security is impossible, there is no value in caring about it at all which is just ridiculous on its face. Do you leave your door unlocked simply because a SWAT team can break it down if they want? Do you use the use the knowledge that battering rams exist to justify not even owning a lock?

Again, it's not like this is theoretical or unproven. It is known with 100% certainty that these exploits have been and will continue to be present. Is it just the assumption that there is nothing valuable worth safeguarding on your device? Or is it the assumption that since you don't know about it personally and intimately that it may as well not exist and is therefore not a risk?

I haven't owned any China phone yet, not because I am afraid of being hacked but every time I tried to get a China phone, I came across a better LG or Samsung deal. If you are in the US, its very easy to find better deals.

I do read Chinese btw. When I hang out in Chinese tech forums, the only kind of hacks I saw were personal data leak through installing apps from 3rd party app markets. Most of the posters on Chinese tech forums are pretty tech savvy btw. If you assume otherwise you are wrong. If I have a specific question about for example my Fuji camera and 3rd party external flash, I can get better answer in a Chinese photography forum than a English forum. That's fine if you don't trust the Chinese hardware. I understand it but I draw my conclusion from my experience.

THE BIG DOG DADDY
Oct 16, 2013

Rasheed was, with Aliases, the top 7 PvPers in Bone Krew.

No one talks about this.
"I don't think there's anything the Chinese government would do with my personal data"

Are you loving kidding me

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

Seeing some YouTube videos saying the Mi Mix camera is poo poo. That's a shame

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

I'm looking at either the Xiaomi Mi5S Plus or the Note 2. I'll wait for reviews to see if the Note is worth the extra dolla dolla. The Mi Mix will be too scarce and pricey outside of China I think. The Mi5S is a ridiculously good price for what you get.

VERTiG0
Jul 11, 2001

go move over bro
I have shattered the glass on the front of my Redmi Note 3 Pro. I am now looking at the Xiaomi MI5, ZUK Z2, and Oneplus 3.

Sleepfin
Sep 2, 2008
Good people, buy tempered glass screen covers and never shatter your glass again. They cost a dollar with shipping from aliexpress.

Now if you count Huawei(and Honor) Chinese smartphones, then soon we have to open threads for non-chinese android smartphones.
I bought a Honor 8 and this thing is a beast. Might not have the specs of OP3 but the functionality and usability are awesome on this phone. Optimized for real good performance. It will be interesting to see how big Huawei gets in the coming years, but I would not be surprised to see them #1 players in smart phone market soon.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

I came back to see how the thread was reacting to the latest news of pre-installed backdoors in Chinese handsets. Funny how it always seems to happen to the same few OEMs...

Probably coincidence.

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

The irony is that we were mainly talking about ordering phones from China, and the only ones affected by this were BLU phones available exclusively from Amazon in America.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Alan_Shore posted:

The irony is that we were mainly talking about ordering phones from China, and the only ones affected by this were BLU phones available exclusively from Amazon in America.

Actually a full list hasn't been posted yet, but the reports I've found all say "... and other devices sold internationally". Reports allude to the company having their software on ZTE and Huawei devices but I haven't seen anyone mention any specific model other than the ad-supported Blu phone.

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

I got my ZTE Axon 7 yesterday as it happens, so went looking for some news. The head of the technology department for ZTE posted on the official forums that the exploit is not on my phone at least! And he wouldn't lie to me.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

So that you and anyone else in here doesn't have to take their word for it, from Android Police:

quote:

If you wish to check your own device, the APK files reportedly responsible for transmitting data and remotely accessing hardware are "com.adups.fota" and "com.adups.fota.sysoper."

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe
Guys I need a new phone and am a massive cheapass. I love the look of some of these but will some bureaucrat in the PRC have a wank over my naked selfies??

VERTiG0
Jul 11, 2001

go move over bro

Sleepfin posted:

Good people, buy tempered glass screen covers and never shatter your glass again. They cost a dollar with shipping from aliexpress.

I bought a Honor 8 and this thing is a beast. Might not have the specs of OP3 but the functionality and usability are awesome on this phone. Optimized for real good performance. It will be interesting to see how big Huawei gets in the coming years, but I would not be surprised to see them #1 players in smart phone market soon.

I had a tempered glass protector on my last phone, dropped it, and the screen shattered.

I also own an Honor 8 now, bought it during the Newegg Black Friday sale. I couldn't be happier for $400 CAD, it feels and performs like it cost twice that price.

Chas McGill posted:

Guys I need a new phone and am a massive cheapass. I love the look of some of these but will some bureaucrat in the PRC have a wank over my naked selfies??

I did previously have a Xiaomi Redmi Note 3 Pro (Snapdragon 650) that I really did like for the 7 months I used it before I dropped it and busted the screen, but man, you cannot beat the value there. Just be aware that you don't get things like Gorilla Glass in these phones.

VERTiG0 fucked around with this message at 22:04 on Dec 10, 2016

lllllllllllllllllll
Feb 28, 2010

Now the scene's lighting is perfect!
I ordered a Ulefone Metal for my girlfriend from amazon.de and it arrived within two days. It even came with a (cheapish) protecting case and a display-protector. We are quite pleased with it so far. It has a weird little "ring" that acts as a quick-menu for accessing various items, but its just in the way in my opinion. No way to turn that off either, as far as I can tell. Still, try getting a phone with 3GB RAM for around 115 EUR. Not a bad buy.

If anyone has this phone, could you tell me how to show a list of open apps or how to close open apps? There is a button in the lower left corner with the symbol (several rectangles on top of each) but it does something different. So far I couldn't figure out how to show the list of open apps, but maybe that my fault. Thanks!

Cream
May 6, 2007
Fett-kart

lllllllllllllllllll posted:

I ordered a Ulefone Metal for my girlfriend from amazon.de and it arrived within two days. It even came with a (cheapish) protecting case and a display-protector. We are quite pleased with it so far. It has a weird little "ring" that acts as a quick-menu for accessing various items, but its just in the way in my opinion. No way to turn that off either, as far as I can tell. Still, try getting a phone with 3GB RAM for around 115 EUR. Not a bad buy.

If anyone has this phone, could you tell me how to show a list of open apps or how to close open apps? There is a button in the lower left corner with the symbol (several rectangles on top of each) but it does something different. So far I couldn't figure out how to show the list of open apps, but maybe that my fault. Thanks!

I had a look around, and in a youtube review video it was shown that there is a setting to turn it off. Around the 10 min mark https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tc0JPS8lfLA . Hold down the home button to see open apps. Out of interest, how long does the battery last? The phone looks good enough as a Dad phone.

Cream fucked around with this message at 12:56 on Dec 14, 2016

Pilsner
Nov 23, 2002

lllllllllllllllllll posted:

On my Xiaomi, I can go to Settings -> Additional Settings -> Buttons and reassign all the three buttons, and assign a secondary function to them that is invoked when holding the button for a second. Try looking for that.

If you need to google for help, the button with the squares / lines is called the "recent" or "recents" or "recent apps" button,

Squatch Ambassador
Nov 12, 2008

What? Never seen a shaved Squatch before?
You might want to think twice about getting an Elephone, they've been known to add malware to their phone via updates. I work in the IT department for a college, and a couple weeks ago an instructor asked me for help getting some malware off his phone. After a factory reset it would immediately start downloading and installing all sorts of terrible poo poo as soon as it got an internet connection. On Google I found plenty of posts from people having the same issues, and people installing custom roms on their Elephones just to escape the malware.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Hungry Computer posted:

You might want to think twice about getting an Elephone, they've been known to add malware to their phone via updates. I work in the IT department for a college, and a couple weeks ago an instructor asked me for help getting some malware off his phone. After a factory reset it would immediately start downloading and installing all sorts of terrible poo poo as soon as it got an internet connection. On Google I found plenty of posts from people having the same issues, and people installing custom roms on their Elephones just to escape the malware.

Believe me when I say that people posting in this thread are proud to be a part of the Botnet Army.

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

The more you kick against the pricks, the more you suffer.
Yeah but I saved $30.

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

I saved $350 :p

whatever7
Jul 26, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
I will pick up any 1gb prepaid phone under $20.

So far all my favorite cheap rear end phones are koreans. $20 1.5gb Tribute HD and $40 LG volt last year.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lllllllllllllllllll
Feb 28, 2010

Now the scene's lighting is perfect!
This is late, but thank you Cream and Pilsner. Much appreciated. The Ulefone Metal's battery life is quite okay, thanks to its around 3000 mA battery. I generally agree with this review (though never had a problem with Wifi):
http://www.gizbeat.com/review/ulefone-metal-review/

• Locked thread