Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

Being in Hong Kong I'm definitely interested in the Xiaomi Mi Mix. It's beautiful! And the price is great. Just gonna wait on reviews, and hope that it's rootable/not riddled with spyware.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

Well the Mi Mix has a fingerprint scanner, so...

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

I'm sure the NSA can look at anyone's personal info whenever they want. What is China going to do to you?

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

Hurrah for being white! But yeah, I can definitely imagine China spying on its own citizens, because of course they do, but I can't see what use they'd have for spying on an American or European phone owner. They might be though. Hopefully this'll be moot and I'll be able to root the Mi Mix and stop any spyware anyway. Hopefully...

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

A $100 is a lot of money to some people, Hyper Privileged Man! Also I don't think the Pixel justifies that insane price tag. I'd rather try out the Mi Mix. You don't even need to "fix" it anyway, it's just for people who are paranoid about spyware.

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

Well I've been using ROMs for like 4 years and never had a problem. Well, maybe I have and someone has stolen ALL my data, but if I don't know it's happened it's ok, right guys?

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

Electronico6 posted:

Mi Mix uses a Qualcomm SoC, so you most likely will get a CM port at the least. Most Xiaomi Qualcomm get one eventually.

That's pretty cool. I haven't used CM in years, but it's nice to know it might be an option! Honestly I'd just be happy with root. Can't live without it.

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

LastInLine posted:

The key difference being that data exfiltration portals and silent malware installers are not intentionally being built into non-Chinese handsets.

How do you know? :p

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

You're absolutely right, it's indefensible. And it definitely does happen with certain Chinese handsets (maybe all of them).

In an ideal world I'd rather no one steal my data. But if I had choice between China or America, well... I just don't see what China would do with it. I don't see how it would help them at all.

I'll wait and see what happens with the Mi Mix, maybe there won't be any spyware? There probably won't be, right?

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

Everything you are saying is absolutely true. For me I think it's the second question you posed, as well as hoping that the Mi Mix is a big deal and I'm hoping that Xioami will be more stringent with security, as well as hoping that root and ROMs will give more security/control over my device, and that if there is an exploit someone will find it and I'll know about it and remedy it (probably).

I shouldn't HAVE to do any of this, but I'd rather put up with a possibility of that and have an interesting phone than pay an extra $200 for a boring Pixel.

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

Are you mocking me son

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

Seeing some YouTube videos saying the Mi Mix camera is poo poo. That's a shame

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

I'm looking at either the Xiaomi Mi5S Plus or the Note 2. I'll wait for reviews to see if the Note is worth the extra dolla dolla. The Mi Mix will be too scarce and pricey outside of China I think. The Mi5S is a ridiculously good price for what you get.

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

The irony is that we were mainly talking about ordering phones from China, and the only ones affected by this were BLU phones available exclusively from Amazon in America.

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

I got my ZTE Axon 7 yesterday as it happens, so went looking for some news. The head of the technology department for ZTE posted on the official forums that the exploit is not on my phone at least! And he wouldn't lie to me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

I saved $350 :p

• Locked thread