Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
disperse
Oct 28, 2010

Avalon Hill recieved a letter from a scientist with a PhD (who was also an Avalon Hill fan) complaining he couldn't understand the rules.
Turn 18, Day 27: Trade, Hire, Hire, Hire, Hire

Only two days left! Four Hot weeks in a row has shortened this game from 28 to 20 days.

I've given up on fulfilling my Fame requirement, that would require time I don't have. Instead, I'll focus on maximizing my points in the other categories, Notoriety, Gold, and hopefully meeting my Spell and Great Treasure requirements by purchasing the Black Book from RHQ.

First, we sell everything except the breastplate to PHQ for a total of 28 gold.

Then, we hire back our two Rogues (I was hoping for three), for 12 gold, leaving us with 17.

Finally, revenge!

The Magician puts on his breastplate, this combat his job is to soak up as much damage as he safely can to allow his two rogues a chance at taking out the Patrol.

disperse fucked around with this message at 02:27 on Jan 27, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

disperse
Oct 28, 2010

Avalon Hill recieved a letter from a scientist with a PhD (who was also an Avalon Hill fan) complaining he couldn't understand the rules.
This isn't going to be an easy combat, it will require a good deal of luck. The Patrol are on horses and need to be unhorsed before they can be defeated.

Round 1

The short swordsman lures P1 while the Magician, hiding behind his breastplate, lures PHQ and P2. Then we deploy the archer against P1 as well.

We set up the Magician like this:

As long as PHQ doesn't change tactics and move to the unprotected smash space, the worst that we'll receive is a wound and damaged armor.

Then we set up our hirelings' sheet like this:

Our hope is the archer kills the horse allowing R3 to take out P1.

Both of the Patrol miss the Magician, note that PHQ actually did choose the Duck and Smash space and there was a 1 in 3 chance he would have changed tactics and killed the Magician:

But the archer changes tactics and doesn't fire an arrow, R3 still manages to take out the horse and emerge unscathed:

disperse
Oct 28, 2010

Round 2

I'm very nervous about PHQ but believe I have the best chance of coming out victorious if I stick with the same plan. I line up the same was as Round 1...

...and luck out again!

Note that R3 changed tactics and with his L3* attack would be unable to take out P1 but this time the archer's aim was true.

Round 3

Now that PHQ is flipped to his L2* side he is more dangerous to the Magician and less dangerous to R3 (who is fully armored) so we assign the remaining two members of the Patrol like this:

And everyone misses!

disperse
Oct 28, 2010

Round 4

We line up again as we did in Round 3. Because there were no wounds or fatigue in Round 3 it makes sense for the Magician to take a useless swipe at P2 with his dagger just to fatigue a chit. If two rounds in a row end with no wounds or fatigue, combat ends.

Everyone misses again and the Magician fatigues his L3* move chit to keep combat going.

Round 5

PHQ flipped to his M4* side and his horse is too fast for R3 to undercut so we swap targets this round, the Magician taking PHQ (risky) and R3 and the archer taking on P2.

We set up like this:

And both Rogues flip, neither dealing enough damage to kill the horse! PHQ misses the Magician as well who, so far, has avoided any damage this combat.

disperse
Oct 28, 2010

Round 6

Let's try something different. By assigning a single Patrol to each of the Rogues they do not roll to change tactics and we can be guaranteed that the swordsman can kill a horse and the archer shoots an arrow.

We set up for Round 5 like this while the Magician takes a breather:

And the results:

Well, the archer knew the risk when he signed up for this job, and his aim stunk. Now that P2 has been unhorsed the short swordsman just needs to line up an attack before PHQ murders the Magician.

disperse
Oct 28, 2010

Round 7

Setup:

Results:

More of the same. Both of the Patrol flip so it's time for R3 and the Magician to switch targets.

Round 8: Everyone misses, the Magician fatigues his Fight L3* to keep combat going.

disperse
Oct 28, 2010

Round 9

The short swordsman kill RHQ's horse!

Unfortunately, RHQ flipped to his M4* side and the Magician is going to have to take both on his sheet until one flips to their L* side.

Round 10: P2 and PHQ both miss the Magician and neither of them flip. Another turn of this and combat will end.

disperse
Oct 28, 2010

Round 11

PHQ lines up with the Magician and damages his breastplate, wounding him. This keeps combat going for another two rounds. Unfortunately, neither of the Patrol flip and things aren't looking good for the Magician and his hired man.

We wound our Fight L4 chit and move on to...

Round 12: Both of the Patrol miss and P2 flips to its light side which is safe to assign to the swordsman.

disperse
Oct 28, 2010

Round 13

On unlucky round 13 PHQ changes tactics and quickly, and fatally, stabs the Magician in his unprotected head.

Turn 18 Results: R.I.P. Magician

Andarel
Aug 4, 2015

R.I.P. Magician indeed.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

:smith:

Electric Hobo
Oct 22, 2008

What a view!

Grimey Drawer
Is this a common scenario, or was this a fluke playthrough? I don't know this game, but it looked a lot like throwing a live fish onto the pier.
Still look like a fun game just for all the weird stuff that happens.

disperse
Oct 28, 2010

Electric Hobo posted:

Is this a common scenario, or was this a fluke playthrough? I don't know this game, but it looked a lot like throwing a live fish onto the pier.
Still look like a fun game just for all the weird stuff that happens.

Well, I was playing as the Magician which lends itself to shenanigans.

If I had chosen, for instance, the White Knight, this WIP would have been a lot more straightforward.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

disperse
Oct 28, 2010

If this WIP seemed interesting, check out my recruitment thread. I'd love to start a massive game of 16 players but would also be fine with fewer players.

• Locked thread