Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
This is wacky as hell, good thing I'm a few beers in

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan
Man, Melissa has an amazing voice. You don't really realize it all the way until she's doing ring announcer stuff after normal people talk.

(edit) Wow, it wasn't just one spot, LU was all over that show. Good thing they brought Rey who isn't afraid to throw a little shade at WWE. Also, Cuerno is more well-spoken in English than I thought.

Silly overall, but probably good exposure

StarkRavingMad fucked around with this message at 07:54 on Jan 27, 2016

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan
https://twitter.com/realkevinnash/status/692239275434336259

Big Sexy approves, can't ask for more than that

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

mundo has zero charisma the minute he opens his mouth to read scripted lines

Charles Gnarwin
Jul 31, 2014

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

I love Lucha Underground so much. They have the biggest luchador ever in the United States and they could easily just debut Rey on those grounds. But nope, they have him showing up to investigate the death of a luchador who taught his disciple an exploding heart technique only for her to turn on him because of an evil underground fight promoter with a literal monster brother in a cage.

Revenant Threshold
Jan 1, 2008

Pinwiz11 posted:

I just finished watching the end of Ultima Lucha again and I still can't believe what they did with Drago and Aerostar. One is a literal dragon and the other travels by spaceship... :allears:
Don't be ridiculous.

Aerostar IS the spaceship.

electric funeral
Oct 16, 2004

ACCIO PANTIES
*swoosh flick*

oatgan posted:

mundo has zero charisma the minute he opens his mouth to read scripted lines

I think I've only seen him deliver maybe one promo that was any good, his debut of the John Morrison character in ECW. Even that one had some delivery issues iirc. He was also a part of one of the absolute worst segments of all time with Melina giving a 20 minute soliloquy from a podium on Smackdown.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
What's sad about Mundo's lack of charisma when doing promos is he's actually a pretty engaging speaker OOC. Guess he just has Malenko-itis.

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan
He's pretty good in the pre-taped backstage stuff when he has a director and Dario to work off, and even his in-ring promos in LU have been decent. But man, put him in a live interview with scripted statements and yeah, he sounds like a kid giving a book report. Good thing Rey was there.

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan
https://twitter.com/LuchaElRey/status/692406921014448128

Hot.

They're putting on the full-court press media-wise before the premiere. Aside from SportCenter last night and like a million podcast appearances, you got:

Rolling Stone interview with Pentagon: http://www.rollingstone.com/sports/features/pentagon-jr-on-blood-breaking-arms-and-bringing-lucha-underground-back-20160127

IGN with Mundo: http://www.ign.com/articles/2016/01/27/johnny-mundo-is-ready-to-take-lucha-underground-to-the-next-level

Forbes: http://www.forbes.com/sites/alfredk...g/#75b5836676f2

Slate: http://www.slate.com/blogs/browbeat/2016/01/27/lucha_underground_on_el_rey_network_reviewed.html

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

LU is the AVClub's top pick for tonight:
http://www.avclub.com/article/rock-says-know-your-role-and-watch-lucha-undergrou-231304

Pinwiz11
Jan 26, 2009

I'm becom-, I'm becom-,
I'm becoming
Tana in, Tana in my mind.

OH GOD ONE HOUR TO GO :woop: :derp:

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

Pinwiz11 posted:

OH GOD ONE HOUR TO GO :woop: :derp:

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

They're doing a good job of at least getting the product talked about in different places. Hope the buzz actually leads somewhere because they're hosed if they can't get this on something besides El Rey.

At least we know we're getting two more seasons.

Charles Gnarwin
Jul 31, 2014

he knows...

Thauros posted:

They're doing a good job of at least getting the product talked about in different places. Hope the buzz actually leads somewhere because they're hosed if they can't get this on something besides El Rey.

I take solace in the fact that 3 seasons is the bare minimum that we will get of this beautiful, beautiful thing.

45 minutes, mother fuckers! Let's do this!

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

Thauros posted:

With two seasons' time to finance further deals, I'm not that worried. They've also picked up some corporate sponsorships; about halfway through the S2 tapings there were suddenly "Proudly Sponsored By" Autozone and Cricket Wireless signs all over the place.

It's also worth talking about Robert Rodriguez; dude is firmly in the Quentin Tarantino mold of "little bit nerdy director who really really wants to be a rock star." He came to a Season Two taping and came out to give a little speech thanking the fans, and got a huge sustained "THANK YOU ROBERT" chant for like five minutes while he tried to be modest. Then he got up on stage and played with his mediocre band to the fans, and then grabbed a camera and VERY DRAMATICALLY shot footage himself for a bit. Basically, this whole thing is a wet dream for him and I believe he's gonna try to keep it afloat. poo poo, the whole station can't be making any money, he just has it because he likes it.

I mean, you're not wrong that they definitely need wider distribution, but TLN shows that they're at least still trying to make some deals (they keep saying things are in the works) and I don't think they are in immediate danger. If they can cut a few deals in the next year, they should be good. If they're still only on El Rey in 2017, then there is cause for alarm.

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan
Man Puma/Muertes was such a great match

Lumbermouth
Mar 6, 2008

GREG IS BIG NOW

StarkRavingMad posted:

Man Puma/Muertes was such a great match

I forgot how amazing looking that top-rope Flatliner was. It's that kind of shot that WWE is always trying and failing to capture.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
Getting hype, staying hype

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe
The Fubo count is going up. There's 70 people in chat for the premiere.

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

Lumbermouth posted:

I forgot how amazing looking that top-rope Flatliner was. It's that kind of shot that WWE is always trying and failing to capture.

When you don't use screen shake constantly, it has a lot more effect when you pull it out

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
I wanna see Lucha Shao Kahn and Latina Sindel

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
Psychotic Break Division

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
I feel like you are not being sincere, Vamp.

Luchadork
Feb 18, 2010

Take a look at the masked man
Beating up the wrong guy
Oh man! Wonder if he'll ever know
Chris Benoit killed his family
Vamprio is somehow cool again

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan
This is already rad

NickRoweFillea
Sep 27, 2012

doin thangs
drat vampiro poo poo

NickRoweFillea
Sep 27, 2012

doin thangs
PRO TIER SWERVE

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
please eat him vampiro

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

"So like, do I still gotta job?"

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
The only wrestling show where I actually look forward to the plot.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
As great as Dario Cueto is I am willing to give sexy new boss a try.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
YES MIL SHAO KAHNS

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
That loving throne

NickRoweFillea
Sep 27, 2012

doin thangs
Jesus Christ Mil

Akileese
Feb 6, 2005

Maxwell Lord posted:

As great as Dario Cueto is I am willing to give sexy new boss a try.

I am okay with this since Shao Muertes.

Charles Gnarwin
Jul 31, 2014

he knows...

How does Matt Striker have such a gnarly awesome car?

OH poo poo GETTING RIGHT TO IT

Erebus
Jul 13, 2001

Okay... Keep your head, Steve boy...

This has already been better than months of Raw.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
Remember, the comic is canon so those skulls on the throne are literally people's skulls harvested by the Trios champions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fresh Like Zafo
May 31, 2012

I haven't stopped smiling since Vaimpro ate that dude. I"m so happy this is back.

• Locked thread