Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
KatWithHands
Nov 14, 2007
Only just got into LU a few weeks ago and oh my god, I've fallen hard. Fell out of wrestling years ago, probably around the first time The Rock retired, but LU is basically everything I loved about it and none of the stuff that put me off. Those vignettes, those moves... It's glorious :allears:

Finally had enough time to watch AW2, and holy moly what a ride. Still kinda pissed at how Cuerno's getting chumped so easily this season, though. He was such a fave during the first season, and it's not like anything about him has changed? He's got staying in character locked in better than most, always looks like he's seeing everything that's going on, and it's not like his fighting has gotten worse, it's just everyone else is suddenly one step ahead of him. His submission was barely an afterthought in AW2. Probably the first time in the series I've genuinely gone "Aw, bullshit :mad:"

I think everyone in my life is already sick of how much I'm into this show, but whatever. I've already got my eye on upcoming lucha events in my town.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KatWithHands
Nov 14, 2007
Did anyone else hear some dude in the crowd during the Aerostar/Drago fight yell something like "Come on, Aerostar! ... I like you too, Drago!" because :3:

KatWithHands
Nov 14, 2007

Jenkem Delivery posted:

Non spoiler notes from yesterday's taping:

There is a lot of lining up involved to get into the Temple but its well worth it. Note to future attendees: wear a hat or sun screen you will be in the sun for about an hour and a half to two hours.

It gets hot in the Temple, even on a relatively mild day (high 70s maybe low 80s). I was in the balcony and it was toasty up there with the lights.

I got a spot by the entrance door above Dario's office and got to high five a bunch of the wrestlers. Sexy Star is loving yoked. Fenix smells like minty chewing gum (and dreams). I also was behind someone during a promo on top of the office so I may be on TV, yay!

The fans are mostly really cool. There was one obnoxious moron who kept doing this sort of "woo" thing but it came out as a horrible screech that sounded like nails on a chalkboard and he did it throughout the taping. He also kept catcalling Melissa and would not stop loving chanting for one heel wrestler. He was the only one chanting for minutes at a time and earned a well deserved "Shut the gently caress up" chant. He was right by me and I was hoping he'd get knocked over the balcony railing.

I always wondered what they did for people like that in live tapings. I assume it's generally just one little voice, so do they just cut it out in post? There was an episode in season one, can't even imagine which one it was (I want to say during the Aerostar/Drago best of five, since I just rewatched those recently), but the mic picked up the weirdest laughter during a match. It sounded loud enough that it could've been Matt or Vampiro, but they were both talking at the time. Did the sound guy just think "Ahaha that's awesome" and leave it in?

KatWithHands
Nov 14, 2007
I forget, is Prince Puma just a descendant of Aztec warriors, or did Konnan say at one point that he was straight up reincarnated?

KatWithHands
Nov 14, 2007
"King Cuerno! Big comeback time, bud!"

... Welp :(

KatWithHands
Nov 14, 2007
So does that tape on the skin (kinesio tape?) actually help? I kept seeing it on Drago's back, but never realized what it was for until Fenix was wearing some on his shoulder in that vid.

KatWithHands
Nov 14, 2007

StarkRavingMad posted:

A lot of wrestlers swear by it. I feel like I've seen all the LU guys wearing it somewhere at one point or another. Cesaro is using it in the WWE now, too.

SamuraiFoochs posted:

I looked it up out of curiosity and the consensus is a lot of the science is dodgy but it literally can't hurt and in a lot of ways with muscle injuries the guys believing they're more protected can actually do a lot of good completely separate from any actual scientific benefit so :iiam:.

Ahh, thanks guys. Haven't watched wrestling in years, so when I saw Drago wearing it, I just figured it was decorative or covering new tattoos or something because it was black and matched his costume, and looked pretty cool.

KatWithHands
Nov 14, 2007
So for you lucky bastards who get to go to the tapings, can you hear Matt and Vampiro commentating while the fight is going on, or are they just off in their corner recording their audio? I remember in a few of the earlier episodes when the main roster had their little intro videos, they'd reference the video after it played, so was that just ADR?

KatWithHands
Nov 14, 2007

Well that's not who I was expecting at all. Should be interesting, though, if they're giving him an actual storyline. (As long as Striker has already exhausted his military puns in that one fight, because jesus that was overkill.)

KatWithHands
Nov 14, 2007
Major kudos to Marty for that character work, for real. I kinda skimmed his intro when it happened, but going back to watch through season one, he really did start out as just a goofy fanboy with a dream. And yeah, they did an instant 180 from "cold assassin" background jobber to "war vet"/audience empathy for Killshot, and targeting him with Marty's brand of creep definitely suggests they're leaning more face. I think without Big Ryck there to be the leader of the group, they saw how much people accepted the Mack and figured they'd try it out with Killshot, too.

It was a pretty fun match, all things considered. Though there were still a few moments when their timing didn't seem to be on the same page, they both shine a lot brighter when they aren't being put up as filler matches against the star fighters. Also, Marty licking his hand and putting it in Killshot's mouth was loving disgusting, holy poo poo.

Also, did I see it wrong, or did Aerostar keep his medallion in his power core :3:

My favourite part of the episode was definitely Daga's reaction to Kobra Moon, though.

KatWithHands
Nov 14, 2007
So apparently this Wednesday is going to be the happiest day of my life.

https://twitter.com/LuchaElRey/status/739169945846587393

Also, thanks to this show, I'm going to my very first event tonight! Up in Canada. Super far from all the lucha cup and Lucha Underground stuff. But it'll do :)

KatWithHands
Nov 14, 2007
I've started going back and watching AAA matches to see these guys outside of Lucha Underground, and it's so weird seeing some of their relationships. Aero Star and Super Fly's feud, Sexy Star being a heel and working often with Pentagon Jr, etc. I guess this show was a fun chance to play something different, or interact more with other fighters, without having to go through big storyline change-ups back in the real world. Cool stuff!

(It's also made me really want certain matches in the Lucha Underground canon though, that I know are never going to happen... or they've probably done them but as dark matches :()

Also, holy crap but could they have edited Aero Star's voice more in that 'previously' segment? He already sounded way gravelly when they first shot it, but it was like they were trying to make him sound like Drago was speaking.

KatWithHands
Nov 14, 2007

sticklefifer posted:

Mil's red eyes look like full sclera contacts. Those are not comfortable to wear, let alone wrestle in.

I think it was either one of the Fenix fights, or when he took the championship from Prince Puma, but one of those big fights ended with Mil Muertes only wearing one contact lens, and I was so unexpectedly grossed out. Taking a bad hit or something with those contacts in is one of my greatest fears for these guys. They look cool, but eye stuff :gonk:

KatWithHands
Nov 14, 2007

Charles Gnarwin posted:

I missed the opening vignette so had to catch it now. How the hell is Nightclaw going to wrestle in that mask?

I really want it to be like Drago's initial mask, where really all that's covering his mouth is one of those little halloween :3: mouths on the elastic string, spray painted black.

KatWithHands
Nov 14, 2007

According to their facebook, SRM's got it.

KatWithHands
Nov 14, 2007
How goddamned perfect was that reveal?

KatWithHands
Nov 14, 2007
It's so weird growing up with RMJ and thinking now that he's like the old guard, then realizing he, Mil Muertes, and Drago are all within the same year of each other.

KatWithHands
Nov 14, 2007
That, paired with him smiling and laughing and singing carols and playing around with the other tecnicos in AAA's holiday special are totally screwing with my head. I love it :3:

KatWithHands
Nov 14, 2007
Thank goodness for region-free Facebook, so I don't have to pull out all the vpn nonsense on this sad little backwoods internet. I love you El Rey, but your geoblocking is killer.

https://www.facebook.com/LuchaUnderground/videos/1282409591784229/ for outside the US!

KatWithHands
Nov 14, 2007
Have I lost my mind or has Aerostar never done his flamethrower intro in LU before? I saw it in the preview and got all excited about it like It's A Big Thing, and now I can't remember.

(Not sure why I'm spoilering, I guess for people who have only seen LU?)

KatWithHands
Nov 14, 2007

StarkRavingMad posted:

THERE IT IS

FIIIIRE

Even though I saw it in the preview, seeing it now still made me go "THERE IT IS. THERE'S MY BOY!"

KatWithHands
Nov 14, 2007

StarkRavingMad posted:

it's like a 15 foot gout of flame, that thing isn't loving around

He linked to a fight on youtube just today where it kept guttering out, like this poor little hairspray can was trying so hard but just not lighting. I'm so glad his first LU flamethrower was so fuckin rad.

I love the Worldwide Underground guys, but Aerostar, Drago, and Fenix are the team of my heart.

KatWithHands
Nov 14, 2007
HELL YES.

KatWithHands
Nov 14, 2007
Thank god they got the trios match out of the way.

KatWithHands
Nov 14, 2007
If I were to graph the enjoyment levels throughout the night, depending on how badass the Rey/Puma match is promised to be, it would look like a half-pipe. I liked the middle fights well enough, but they're just bookended by far more enjoyable matches.

KatWithHands
Nov 14, 2007

JT Jag posted:

Really, aren't the beginning and the end the most important parts

You know what, I'll give you that. I was riding the trios high throughout the rest of the matches, so no complaints.

KatWithHands
Nov 14, 2007

Benne posted:

Did I ever mention the From Dusk Till Dawn show looks like total loving garbage

It IS hot-rear end garbage, and yet I keep watching it.

KatWithHands
Nov 14, 2007
Has Rey looked this good in years? I thought the line was that he was old and busted and best in short bursts. Dude's slick as hell right now.

KatWithHands
Nov 14, 2007
Did he just flash the LA area code instead? Amazing :allears:

KatWithHands
Nov 14, 2007

JT Jag posted:

Is this the begining of an actual Heel Pentagon

gently caress I hope so. I love cheering for him, but I feel weird cheering for him as the hero in a fight.

KatWithHands
Nov 14, 2007
Is Matanza going to go Terminator on the police station to get to Dario next season?

KatWithHands
Nov 14, 2007
Man, looking at all the dark matches they've put on over the last two seasons... I would pay so much for a best of collection of those :sigh:

KatWithHands
Nov 14, 2007
So in the blessed event of a season four, do you guys think there'd ever be a chance of bringing in someone like Faby Apache for more female talent? I'm a pure beginner at Spanish, so I have no idea how well she cuts her promos or if there's drama there, but I read that she doesn't go light on the other women wrestlers while training. That seemed like prime LU material. I'm still pretty new to the whole thing though, so you guys would know more about that.

KatWithHands
Nov 14, 2007
If it's anything like From Dusk Till Dawn, it should be international, yeah. Probably billed as a Netflix Original, too. At least that's what happened up here in Canada.

El Rey's trying to single-handedly salvage 2016 for us, you guys.

eta: VVV I've been praying nightly for something more than men's t-shirts in 4 designs on the Canadian merch site. Looking at the official site's variety is torture.

KatWithHands fucked around with this message at 14:51 on Jul 29, 2016

KatWithHands
Nov 14, 2007
The Rock does biceps curls with Cage the way Cage did with everyone else. Episode wins an Emmy. All is right with the world.

KatWithHands
Nov 14, 2007
And here I thought the season 2 trailer with the Rey-veal was the greatest thing I've ever seen.

It's beautiful :allears:

KatWithHands
Nov 14, 2007
I just want to know who is playing Kobra Moon's minions... though I think I get why they're attacking Aerostar :ohdear:

KatWithHands
Nov 14, 2007

StarkRavingMad posted:

From what I know, they are played by Steve Pain and Judas Devlin

Oh hey, that's cool! I must've completely missed that they were involved. I actually don't know who Judas Devlin is, but I've seen some of Steve Pain's stuff, so I'm down with this.

And yeah, I don't mind Chavo returning to the screen because they seem to know where, when, and just how much Chavo works best for the story.

KatWithHands
Nov 14, 2007

oatgan posted:

judas is the former fcw/nxt guy with the knockoff jeff hardy tattoos who wrote the letter about the conditions in nxt that got bill demott fired

Oh no poo poo, okay I do remember that. Hope he's found a good gig at LU, then.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KatWithHands
Nov 14, 2007

StarkRavingMad posted:

There's still a lot of rumors about a Netflix deal in the works, but who knows. They also might have had to sign some sort of exclusivity deal with iTunes to get that done for new episodes, I remember it being advertised as some sort of exclusive when the deal first went down.

Isn't that 'big news' Vampiro mentioned Too Soon supposed to come out in the next week? Everyone was expecting a Netflix deal, maybe it's still incoming.

• Locked thread