Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

mundo has zero charisma the minute he opens his mouth to read scripted lines

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

they did my boy fenix dirty!

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

StarkRavingMad posted:

Also murdered his general spine/neck/head area. But you know, he does that rising from the ashes thing

the booking, not the deerman and the skeleton people

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

I like that Matt Striker drove to pick up Vampiro, and then put that sheet over his car for no reason other than to reveal it dramatically to him

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

Lucha guys chop louder in general but the show is produced and edited differently which probably also helps

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

keevo posted:

Oh yeah what's the deal with that Angelico guy? Is he basically Justin Gabriel adjace?

Better wrestler, but yeah handsome x-treme south african

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

ZoDiAC_ posted:

profightdb.com is better as you get Meltzer's snowflakes for historical PPVs!

cagematch offers slowflakes for good matches and has far more matches in its database !

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

The median age is 50 howwwww

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

I actually think a lot of his critiques are sound but filtered through the Jim Cornette lens of gimmick hyperbole i.e. killing everyone with nuclear bombs. For a lot of people legitimacy is the ultimate goal of wrestling and that's cool, but for a lot of people it's not. I'm fine with both extremes as long as there's consistency. There's a lot of stuff lucha underground does that I think is really lazy and stupid but it is consistent and operates with its own logic. The strength of the performers and their charisma really rises above the negatives and makes the whole thing work

also who cares what jimbo thinks

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

fatherdog posted:

Who are these people and what does "legitimacy" mean in this context
Legitimacy as in traditional pro wrestling presented like a sport. Do you not believe that these people exist anywhere or should I comb social media and wrestling websites looking for examples of people who think wrestling is at its best when it's credible

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

fatherdog posted:

"presented like a sport" and "credible" are two different things. I'm sure there are many people that prefer the kind of old school stuff where rankings are important and the motivations of the wrestlers center around advancement and belts. If there are people out there who think wrestling should try to make people think it's not predetermined, I would say that they are a very small fringe of morons.

I don't know of anyone in the former camp, that's for sure. There's a difference between pro wrestling trying to convince you it's real and pro wrestling that respects you enough not to show you it's fake. If you don't immediately buy into the crazier elements of LU the whole thing falls apart but if you give it a chance there's enough dedication and consistency to the fantastical elements on the show that the only thing coming across as corny is the only "real" person on the show, Matt Striker.

It's good. I'm glad it's back

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

fatherdog posted:

Do you mean "the latter camp"?

Sorry I'm 12 hours into a 14 hour shift and words have lost all meaning tonight

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

SamuraiFoochs posted:

Wait they're already taping the season finale? What the gently caress? How long are these tapings? I thought they only had done a couple tapings so far.

Oh the season is shorter. That sucks, I LIKED the long S1. :(
I forget if it was 8 or 10 days of filming this year but they usually tape 3 episodes a day. I'd forgotten the first season was so long but that seems unsustainable

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

Supposedly when they secured funding for S2 they got it for S3 as well. Taping 60% as many episodes this time around probably helped with that

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

Dario was kicked out of the temple at the end of season 1 so he's on the road with Black Lotus and his monster cannibal brother making a living the only way he knows: murdering tourists

And yes Fenix is an actual phoenix

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

I thought the implication was that Dario was lying

The timeline on that angle was bizarre

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

for me the strangest thing about Lucha Underground is seeing Justin Borden ref matches without constantly getting poo poo on by the crowd

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

Gavok posted:

I feel like I might get lumped into the same crowd as the guy who suggested Heath Slater is the next Shawn Michaels, but Pentagon Jr. really gives me the same feeling of investment that I had years ago when Austin was starting to catch on. I didn't care about Austin fighting McMahon that much. I was more about Austin fighting EVERYONE. He was a piece of poo poo villain with a ton of charisma who had it in for everyone and it was rad because he was depicted as a total badass. Pentagon gives me the same vibe in the way that he'll snap the arm of the company's unstoppable monster heel and then outright tell the top face that he's going to do that to him without having any provocation. He gives zero fucks in a way that gives me deja vu.

Pentagon going after Mil Muertes even makes me think of the few times we got to see Austin fight Vader back in the day when they were both heels. Due to the way WWE fashions their heels, it's rare to even see that kind of dynamic.

I've seen Pentagon work a bunch of different places and he's instantly the biggest star in the building no matter where it is (except aaa which hates him for some reason and keeps him as the lesser half of uninteresting tag teams). He's very charismatic. If LU folded tomorrow i would still consider it a success in that it created demand for the luchadores in the US

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

speaking of pentagon, his mixed tag title partner sexy star just announced she's vacated their tag team championship because she doesn't want to do the job (again). This is after faking an injury to not work the previous show where they wanted her to drop the title

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

Illinois Smith posted:

Also was that Horus? I remember hearing his name for season 2.
yup

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

I'm shocked Borden hasn't joined Mt Rushmore tbqh

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

i was forever a justin borden fan when after the show he emerged from the locker room wearing a silk dragon ball z button down

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

Australian Suicide is pretty cool actually

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

from PWI

quote:

There has also been a lot of discussion lately that AAA performers who were booked for Lucha Underground's second season were unhappy about being required to pay the promotion a percentage for their LU bookings. According to multiple sources, talents booked for the first season through AAA received their pay directly from AAA after the Mexican promotion was paid by Lucha Underground. By the time wrestlers received their pay, as the story goes, AAA had taken a pretty sizable percentage.

For the second season, wrestlers are being paid directly by Lucha Underground but sources claim there has been pressure from AAA that the talents still pay AAA the same percentage. The frustration has been enough that there's been talk of some talents looking to leave the promotion for work elsewhere. There was also a concern that since AAA has ownership points in LU, that if they did, anyone who bolted would find themselves iced out of future Lucha Underground seasons, something none of the AAA/LU talent would want since across the board, they have been very happy with the treatment they've received from LU management.

this is insane!

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

lol joey ryan is a stripper cop but actually just a real cop

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

Takuan posted:

As someone that's never seen Joey Ryan outside of that gif that went viral a couple weeks ago: What's the deal with the lollipop?

He's a sleazy 70's guy and at live shows he asks who wants his blowpop and then feeds it to an audience memeber. There's also comedy spots where he tries to feed it to his opponent after sticking it down his tights or dropping it on the mat

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

Chris James 2 posted:

Didn't he give Dave one once when he came to a PWG show and the fans cheered

Joey asked who wants a lolli and the fans started chanting "MELTZER! MELTZER! MELTZER!" and he politely declined

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

this week's episode will be on dailymotion before you go to bed tonight Jerusalem

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

lol sure thing

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

SamuraiFoochs posted:

Pentagon Jr. is now my favorite wrestleman. Yes, above Ambrose.

Think about that. Cero Miedo, bitch.

I think pentagon is more skilled but they have similar appeal and skillsets. You could book Dean Ambrose just like this (minus the Higher Power stuff) and it would work. One is just booked to his strengths and the other is not.

what's even crazier to me is that pentagon is a skeleton death cultist and comes across like less of a cartoon character than ambrose does these days

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

Matanza is the one who has an Aztec God sealed inside him or w/e and their dad was (is?) the one who did the sacrifices/dark magic

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

After refusing to job and no-showing a handful of events Sexy Star is seemingly done with AAA. Last night was the third (i think?) time she and Pentagon were scheduled to lose the intergender tag titles so instead of cancelling at the last minute again they had Pentagon wrestle a handicap match which he won. He then vacated the titles afterwards. Interested in how this affects her prospects with season 3 of LU

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

they just broke up his two tag teams and had him win a handicap match rather than eat a pinfall i think he'll be ok

We'll see how well he does in Rey de Reyes which is similar to King of the Ring. His qualifying match against Fenix, El Hijo de Fantasma (King Cuerno) and a mystery opponent might be the only good match of the tournament

oatgan fucked around with this message at 23:55 on Feb 20, 2016

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

Chris James 2 posted:

My only guess is she was real insulted they would give her a prize that she'd just never defend, and making the only time they would defend it be to lose it insulted her even more that she said "gently caress it, I'm just not showing up"
There are a billion titles in lucha and this is how most of them work though. This is also not the first time Sexy has vacated a title instead of jobbing.

Call Me Charlie posted:

She held the title for over a year and only got booked to lose it after she complained publicly about what a pointless title it was.
no first she faked an injury to avoid jobbing, then publicly complained about how worthless the title was, and then didn't show up to defend it

sexy star doesn't need aaa she has plenty of money and her husband is a famous athlete

oatgan fucked around with this message at 02:01 on Feb 21, 2016

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

i don't think its dario because then there will be the expectation that he wrestles and that's never happening unless he transforms into some big monster backstage which i guess is theoretically possible in lucha underground

StarkRavingMad posted:

It'll be interesting to see what effect this has on her, if any, for LU Season 3. I feel like it would be tough for them to drop her entirely, but if she pissed off the Roldans enough, who knows.
mild spoilers on the state of things at the end of s2

I would have bet a large amount of money on S3 building to sexy star winning the title. Probably not right away, but after a roadblock early on there's no way they don't pull the trigger on being able to say they have a woman as world champion. But now? who knows. If she's really quitting AAA they won't want her on the show and this is a show where you can really kill someone off backstage so that's something to look forward to at least

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

mainstream lucha is mired in nepotism and seniority so while its difficult to take konnan at his word i believe him when he said the older guys were pissed at him for bringing in outside talent to AAA to do little more than job on the undercard because they thought he was eventually going to replace them

StarkRavingMad posted:

I wonder how complex it is on the LU side of things since they don't own all the characters. Like there's a Puma shirt and they have Mil's face on one of the Lucha Underground shirts since those are original characters, but for people who wrestle in multiple promotions, or for those who sell their own merch already, I guess those deals might have more moving parts. Does AAA own the Pentagon Jr character or does he own it himself? When Cero Miedo merch is selling on Masked Republic, where is the money going? I mean, I know half these guys sell their own shirts/masks in parking lots half the time. You'd think it would be as simple as going "hey, how about we sell your poo poo and take a cut since you'll get a hundred times the sales" but maybe they have concerns about only selling merch they have 100% control/ownership of or something.

AAA certainly owns Pentagon Jr. but if for whatever reason the man under the mask left the company you can be assured he'd start working as Pentagram Jr. or something similarly ersatz

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

Dario needs to hurry up because Catrina might be the worst actor on the show

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

Benne posted:

I'm not familiar with Taya's work. On a scale of Sexy Star to Cheerleader Melissa how good is she?

Taya Valkyrie is pretty good. I'm surprised she's still in Mexico and not NXT. She's a good fit for LU and especially Mundo. They've even got matching pants

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

vinny massaro is a pro follow on twitter btw

• Locked thread