Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
«39 »
MRC48B
Apr 2, 2012

If you really want that pump on a gfci for safety reasons add another electrical box and put the gfci in that, with the furnace on the upstream side of the gfci

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

B-Nasty
May 25, 2005

Sterling_Archer posted:

I'm trying to add an outlet for a condensate pump. Why not GFCI? There is a water heater next to it and a condensate drain next to it so I figured it'd be safer to have than not.

My crusty old condensate pump works fine on a GFCI receptacle. No float shutoff switch hooked up, but it is in a non-finished basement that I visit frequently, so a small puddle won't ruin my day.

My kitchen fridge circuit and garage freezer circuits I ran recently are both not GFCI/AFCI protected. Come at me code-bro; I'm not chancing hundreds of dollars of food on 75 cents worth of electrical components made in China.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

MOTRONIC FOR MODERATOR, MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN

Grimey Drawer

MRC48B posted:

If you really want that pump on a gfci for safety reasons add another electrical box and put the gfci in that, with the furnace on the upstream side of the gfci

That doesn't stop the furnace from working with a properly set up condensate pump.

corgski
Feb 6, 2007

B-Nasty posted:

My kitchen fridge circuit and garage freezer circuits I ran recently are both not GFCI/AFCI protected. Come at me code-bro; I'm not chancing hundreds of dollars of food on 75 cents worth of electrical components made in China.

Iím not going to tell you what to do but nuisance trips on modern AFCIs are really overstated these days, mostly by people who are afraid of change.

(And by people who insist on using ancient X10 home automation kits.)

Your fridge isnít going to trip an AFCI without an underlying wiring problem.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.

Yeah, literally the only thing I have that nuisance trips my 2015-2020 AFCI breakers is my ragged old shopvac with bearings and brushes so shot I'm constantly surprised that it runs at all. And it's going in a dumpster soon. Seriously, it sounds like it has gravel for bearings and the motor comes to an abrupt halt when shut off instead of decelerating smoothly. I'm sure the brushes are just arcing enough to legitimately set it off.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

B-Nasty
May 25, 2005

corgski posted:

Iím not going to tell you what to do but nuisance trips on modern AFCIs are really overstated these days, mostly by people who are afraid of change.

(And by people who insist on using ancient X10 home automation kits.)

Your fridge isnít going to trip an AFCI without an underlying wiring problem.

I agree, but for a fridge/freezer circuit, it's more of a cost/benefit analysis. The fridge and freezer circuits are dedicated runs of 2019 vintage, 12g NM direct from the receptacle to the panel, and the chassis of both appliances are connected to a proper EGC.

Granted it's not a breaker, but I've had multiple GFCI receptacles fail due to ??? (age, maybe.) The last one was actually upstream of the fridge before it had it's own run. Sounded like a machine gun firing (relay clicking), and then it failed open. If I wasn't there to investigate/repair it, I would've been filling a trash bag with the contents of my fridge the next morning.

«39 »