Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

stratdax
Sep 14, 2006

H110Hawk posted:

Super fun, last night was the first night we "needed" to run our shiny new furnace and it started making an awful whining noise about 10m into the cycle. I ran it for about 5 minutes a week ago just to verify it worked prior to it actually getting cold enough to need it with no noise. AC and Fan run without noise, this is something with the furnace. This morning I reproduced the noise and recorded it, a snipping is below. The original installer from a few months ago came by this morning to figure it out (no charge, no question), watched my video, and it wouldn't reproduce for him. Any ideas?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oTN7ac47zsE

It's Trane:

3. Furnish and Install One (1) Matching Trane SX8 Series 80% AFUE Furnace/with Multi Speed ECM Fan Motor/M#L8X1B060V3XSAA
4. Furnish and Install a Matching Attic High-Efficiency Evaporator Coil/with a TX Valve/to Operate on Environmentally Friendly R410A Refrigerant/M#G35636D175

I've heard that noise before, it was a failing gas pressure regulator and the gas was screaming through the reg intermittently. Next time it happens put your ear to the gas piping and see if that's the source of the noise. I'm not saying it's necessarily from the gas reg, could be some other restriction in the gas line, but to me the harmonics sound the same.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stratdax
Sep 14, 2006

H110Hawk posted:

Thanks, I'll try to run outside next time it happens. The closest exposed gas lines are 11' away in a straight line but I have to run through my entire house to get to them. :v: Maybe crud/sediment in the lines clogged the regulator?

Sorry for the extremely late post. First, I reserve the right to be wrong about everything, I'm just saying it sounds like a sound I heard before.
But! Your first step is narrowing down where the sound is coming from. If it happens again, and you put your ear anywhere on the gas line and hear it louder from there, then you at least know it's a problem with the gas. Could be the reg, the baffles, the gas valve, pressure, pipe size, anything.
Really just narrowing down the source is your first step, so I was just giving another option for the source of the sound based on something I had heard before.

Don't suppose you have any updates though? I'm curious.

stratdax
Sep 14, 2006

I need a nomograph for r407a but for the life of me I can't find one. Plenty for r507, r407f, etc, but nothing for 407a. Any refrig techs able to help out?

stratdax fucked around with this message at 23:38 on Jan 3, 2021

stratdax
Sep 14, 2006

Just spitballing some options here, but if you're sticking with two systems anyway, just using ductless splits in the downstairs (and no forced air at all) might be a way to go.

You can also put the house on one big condensing unit and use a mix of ducted air handlers for the upstairs, and ductless splits downstairs. (Or just eliminate all the ducts and use splits throughout the house). Companies (for example, mitsubishi) make multizone units that can do heating and cooling in different zones of the house at the same time (if that's required in your climate).

Or in floor heating in the downstairs and no AC.

stratdax fucked around with this message at 20:50 on Apr 7, 2021

stratdax
Sep 14, 2006

devicenull posted:

They also make ducted ductless mini-splits, which is a good option if you don't want the ugly mini-split on the wall. Maybe this would fit under your stairs? You'd only need to get refrigerant lines to it, which should be pretty easy if you're already down to the studs.

The high velocity systems are pretty niche, they're probably not going to be that cheap to get installed, and you're going to be at the mercy of the few local places that will work with them.

This post reminds me, if the air handler and ducts can't fit under the stairs, and you (Phil Moscowitz) don't want the minisplits scattered around your walls, they also make these, which may or may not be possible depending on what's going on with the downstairs ceiling.
https://www.mitsubishicomfort.com/products/indoor-units/horizontal-ducted

stratdax fucked around with this message at 21:36 on Apr 7, 2021

stratdax
Sep 14, 2006

PageMaster posted:

We have a two story home in the desert with ventral AC, but I think ceiling fans would be nice for cooking during the small times when temps aren't extreme but the wife doesn't like them because of how small they make the room look (we have low ceilings). I know we have a setting for it, but I never used the fan only option on our thermostats before is there a downside to this as far as lifespan or energy draw compared to running the AC, and would it even give any benefits as far as keeping air moving throughout the house?

Keeping the fan on will cost you pennies for the day and will circulate the air through your house. It will definitely help. Since you're only talking about running it while you're cooking it won't affect the lifespan of the fan. Don't worry about it.

angryrobots posted:

Normally I wouldn't suggest using the fan without the AC system as you will put a lot of humidity back into the air via evaporation from the condensate in the drain pan. Not sure if that's as undesirable in the desert, assuming it's an arid desert environment and the humidity is very low.

If he's not running the AC, there won't be condensate in the drain pan...
Any humidity formed from condensate leftover from when the AC was running will be unnoticeable.

stratdax
Sep 14, 2006

angryrobots posted:

No poo poo?

angryrobots posted:

Normally I wouldn't suggest using the fan without the AC system as you will put a lot of humidity back into the air via evaporation from the condensate in the drain pan.

??

Whatever

stratdax
Sep 14, 2006

angryrobots posted:

You are also assuming that he won't run the AC at all.

stratdax posted:

Any humidity formed from condensate leftover from when the AC was running will be unnoticeable.

Again, ??

Why are you so pissy bud. Relax.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stratdax
Sep 14, 2006

Calidus posted:

I am not brave(dumb) enough to do my own hvac work.

An alternative solution is an infrared radiant tube heater, either gas fired or electric. Commercial workshops and garages are heated with them. They work by heating people and objects directly (like feeling the warmth of the sun on a winter day), which then indirectly heat the remainder of the room. The electric versions are more effective than your usual electric space heater because you aren't needing to heat up the volume of air to heat up the thermal mass of the room, it's a direct transfer of heat that you immediately feel. So it's good for needing heat at a specific location within the room. Here's a residential example of a gas heater from Rinnai, there's probably cheaper brands out there. And I know Thermon makes a small electric version under the Caloritech brand, I've seen them over workbenches at a lab.
https://www.rinnai.us/residential/he-infrared-tube-heater

Depends on if it can even fit / if the garage door will crush it when it opens, but just thought I'd throw that out there.

stratdax fucked around with this message at 07:46 on Feb 2, 2023