Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

iForge
Oct 28, 2010

Apple's new "iBlacksmith Suite: Professional Edition" features the iForge, iAnvil, and the iHammer.
We didn't have a HVAC thread so here goes.

I work primarily on large commercial and industrial systems, so the majority of my contributions to this thread are going to be that.

This thread may or may not me an excuse for me to post pictures of all the cool stuff I get to work on, but feel free to contribute or ask questions about your system.

Just a few primers:

* Never disable any safety devices on your HVAC system. They are there for a reason and you can burn your house down, die, be seriously injured, or all of the above if you disable them and something goes wrong.

* Refrigerant sprayed/leaked onto your skin will give you frostbite and is made up of hazardous chemicals. Do not mess with the refrigerant side of systems unless you know what you are doing.

* Electricity is dangerous. Seriously. It will kill you, and it will hurt the whole time you are dying. Again, if you don't know how to safely work with it, DON'T. Always turn off the power to whatever you are working on. Buy a quality meter and learn how to use it BEFORE you touch live electrical.

* Gas leaks will blow your house up, burn it down, or burn you. Shut the gas off before you take any pipes apart and make sure the space is well ventilated when opening up any lines containing fuel gas.

* Youtube will not teach you everything. Just because you see someone do something in a video doesn't mean it is the right way to do things in your particular case. I am not liable if you break something and it costs you your savings to fix.

This video is a good primer on how A/C systems work. It doesn't teach you everything, but you will learn the basic concepts.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_lFUlA1PZ8U

The systems I work on the most have a capacity 150-600 times larger than a standard unit you would have at your house but they work using the same basic principles. Most of the time they are chillers, which chill water which is then pumped through the building to coils like the evaporator described in the above video. I do work on smaller units, but not as often.

I work in rooms like this a lot:

Sometimes on huge boilers half the size of a city bus:

Other times, it's large fan blades for a cooling tower:

Motor bearings on a 540 horsepower electric motor off a chiller:

Sometimes it's coils so clogged with bird poo poo that the machine won't run due to lack of airflow:

Or just a simple gas valve replacement on my parents' heater:

iForge fucked around with this message at 06:11 on Jan 24, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

iForge
Oct 28, 2010

Apple's new "iBlacksmith Suite: Professional Edition" features the iForge, iAnvil, and the iHammer.
Just some pictures of what I am working on right now. It is a teardown/rebuild of a centrifugal compressor 450 ton Trane Centravac chiller. The rating of tons is not weight, but the heat transfer that 450 tons of ice melting can do in 24 hours. Some of these parts are aluminum and weigh 50-100 pounds. Others are steel and weigh upwards of 1200 pounds.

Hung my hat up for the weekend.

iForge
Oct 28, 2010

ExplodingSims posted:

Oh cool, and HVAC thread. I guess I can contribute here too!

I work on commercial units, mostly just package and split systems, up to like 50 tons. It's pretty much all the same stuff you have in your house, just on much larger scale.
Through I do refrigeration as well, everything from stand up fridges and freezers, to warehouse sized walk-in freezers and coolers. Oh, and ice machines, can't forget about ice machines!

Our company also does supermarket rack refrigeration, which is some cool mechanical stuff, and a whole shitton of electrical stuff. I'll have to grab some pics next time I'm out.
But, in the meantime, enjoy this picture of a compressor room from Google:

Yeah, I wish the rooms I worked in were that clean and organized.

The basic way of describing this imagine one compressor feeding multiple units. Or in the case of most stores, 3 monster compressors feeding upwards of 10 reach in coolers, 12 walk-ins, and a deli display.
Usually home pretty heavy duty stuff, big 3 phase 50HP motors, Big heavy compressors, and multiple panels completely filled with contractors, wires, and relays for the evap motors/defrost/monitoring system, etc. Plus these things take a shitton of refrigerant to run, upwards of 300lbs. (For reference your home split-system might take like 10lbs.)

So I'll be happy to contribute as best I can, and answer any questions about refrigeration you might have as well.

E. Question for iForge, do you work on any Ammonia systems? Or all just normal refrigerant systems?

I have never worked on an ammonia system and as far as I know, we don't have any customers under contract that have ammonia systems so I won't be touching one any time soon. Glad to see someone else in the trade contributing, I've done very little with commercial refrigeration so feel free to talk about that all you want! I mostly do large tonnage chillers, cooling towers, packages, splits, and the occasional boiler.

iForge
Oct 28, 2010

Thanks for doing that, I was going to get around to writing something up eventually. Well done!

literally a fish posted:

Someone bring me a Rolls-Royce Merlin. I found a better supercharger.

E: The Subaru's A/C compressor has started going TAPTAPTAPTAPTAP when it's hot/operating. Is this because it spent a couple of weeks upside down (not being operated), or did it just died?

Could have gotten a slug of oil in the wrong spot from being upside down and bent/broke something when it started, or it could coincidence and just died. Send me a video of it on whatsapp if you think of it.

iForge
Oct 28, 2010

slap me silly posted:

I'm just here for the pictures and boy are they awesome.

Oh I've got a random question though. Apartment buildings are springing up all over the place around me. Each unit has its own little system (heat pump I guess?) but surely there is some additional stuff going on for ventilation. How is that usually handled in modern "just-meets-code" type of multiunit construction?

I don't know much about residential codes and installs since I do commercial/industrial, but I'd imagine it's a small unit with a/c + gas heat like my apartment.

Also, have some pictures of a failed babbit sleeve bearing and scoring on the shaft! This bearing was absolutely bone dry, but that doesn't make sense as the system won't run if it doesn't see oil pressure and there were no clogs in the 3/8 line that feeds oil to the bearing. The pressure transducer 10 inches away from the bearing tests fine. More investigation required, but now to figure out how to get a 1600 pound motor out of this basement, crate it up, and ship it to North Carolina to be rebuilt. Fun fun!

Shaft diameter where the bearing rides is around 6.5 inches.

The lighter scoring is from the labyrinth seal rubbing, the deeper scoring inside that pocket is where the bearing sits.

iForge
Oct 28, 2010

Nice work, Sims!

I've been busy as hell and not doing anything picture-worthy. Parts came in for the motor on that Trane Centravac I've been working on, so reassembly starts tomorrow. I'll snap pictures if anything interesting arises

iForge
Oct 28, 2010

very nice! I'm just starting a rebuild of a 1280 ton centravac at a hospital. Trane had it apart 3 years ago to do bearings but its leaking so the hospital is having us come in and fix what they didn't get right. Going to be very interesting, the motor weighs 3200lbs and there is very little room to work.

iForge
Oct 28, 2010

I haven't been up to anything worth posting, really. I got pulled off that chiller rebuild job, so no pics of that. Spent almost a month at a data center going through 96ish 30 ton Liebert units, 10 air handlers, 3 rooftops, making a list of the needed repairs, and then fixing most of the stuff. Not allowed to take pictures in there by their security policy so I don't have pics of anything. Mostly replaced chilled water valve actuators, bearings, and fixed a few leaks on the coils.

iForge
Oct 28, 2010

Ive been working at secure sites a lot lately. Can't have a phone in those datacenters, so I can't take pics of the stuff I find. Prepped a motor to come off a chiller today. 4160v ~800hp motor was smoking over the weekend so they shut it down. They had a company come out and test it in place, but we all knew it would have to come down. It is grounded and needs to be rewound, and the customer wants to buy spare motor from us just incase this happens to one of their 5 other identical chillers. The new motor is probably $70,000, and the rewind is probably $30,000. Add in labor, and this breakdown is costing them (ballpark) north of $110,000. Business is good.

iForge
Oct 28, 2010

Tore down a compressor off a Vilter low temp chiller at a local ice arena. I'm guessing that it got a slug of liquid. All pistons, liners, and the crankshaft are a loss. It will get rebuilt next week when the parts come in, but I'm not sure if I will be there for it.

iForge
Oct 28, 2010

angryrobots posted:

Good idea, worth a shot but no dice. Still misbehaving.

Check that the relay or contactor is staying pulled in, and if its getting a steady 24v. Ran into a bad transformer last week that was causing a similar problem. Check all electrical connections while you are in there as well.

iForge
Oct 28, 2010

Seconding proper disposal of that thermostat. Most HVAC supply houses in my area take them off your hands for free and properly dispose of them. YMMV

iForge
Oct 28, 2010

davebo posted:

We moved into this much-larger-than-my-old-house house in April, and as expected it was nothing but problems, but at this point most of those have been fixed or replaced. Got a new HVAC unit for the upstairs which was very efficient keeping it cool in the Summer, in terms of electric costs this 4,100 sqft house wasn't much more than my old 1,500sqft. Now that things are cold I got hit with a $450 electric bill last month, and realized that the thermostat wasn't set properly to gradually ramp up the heat pump, so it was defaulting to auxilliary heat. So we got that sorted but when it gets cold it's still resorting to auxiliary a fair amount. I'm keeping track of Pepco's daily usage on the website and it's definitely less than last month, but not by as much as I was hoping. So my first question was just does that sound normal for a large house built in 1957? I probably need to have the insulation in the attic redone and that might help.

My main question is the downstairs level has a gas furnace, and when I transition down the stairs I smell it faintly for like a few seconds, but then don't notice it. So it's not like a full on gas leak I don't think, but I'm not used to having a gas furnace. Do gas furnaces just smell faintly like natural gas (or whatever it is they add to natural gas so you can smell it), or should it smell no different than an HVAC because hot air is hot air and I need to troubleshoot some small leak?

Sometimes you can smell some burning dust the first few times you run a gas heater for the season. If you smell gas or fumes get a qualified hvac guy to check your heat exchanger for cracks sooner than later, if you smell fumes, you could be breathing carbon monoxide.

As far as your first question, where do you live? Us knowing the current outdoor air temperature for your area is important for the answer you want

iForge
Oct 28, 2010

Turn off the power to your furnace first. Verify the blue isnt hooked to anything already and land it on the C terminal. Hook the other end of blue to the C terminal on your new stat, turn power back on. If you have questions, post a pic of the control board where the thermostat wires are connected inside your furnace.

IMO the nest stats are better than the ecobee, but pick whichever you want.

iForge
Oct 28, 2010

Charles posted:

No I think I'll get another quote then.

Is this just for a/c or are they replacing the furnace as well?

iForge
Oct 28, 2010

US Motors has their Rescue brand line for rare and hard to find replacements for old systems if you cant find a universal replacement for yours

iForge
Oct 28, 2010

Dandywalken posted:

Is this an ok thread to ask about getting into the service -side of HVAC as a career, or is the A/T forum better suited?

Fire away

iForge
Oct 28, 2010

Seconding the Union apprenticeship, I got a ton of knowledge out of mine. Depending on your location relative to harrisburg, the philly local is huge and has plenty of work. Some trade school or community college courses will look good on your application, but as was already said, the UA is realizing that a lot of guys are retiring in the next 10 years with not enough techs coming in to replace them so a big hiring push is coming.

iForge
Oct 28, 2010

DkHelmet posted:

Welp, my AC unit is dying. I've been getting water buildup inside the furnace and my AHS contractor just declared the evap coil and drain pan dead. Since the unit's 25+ years old I'm not crying too much, but it's not worth it to replace 6 lbs of R-22 on a 25 year old condensor. While I'm in there I'll get the furnace updated for something made this century as well.

Anything I should be looking out for on residential AC/furnaces? CR has some brand reliability guidelines but it's pretty thin indeed on what to actually look for. Is there a minimum SEER and AFUE floor? Brands I should be avoiding?

The original contractor recommended a 3.5 ton replacement Goodman unit, SEER 14, AFUE 85. Meh. My house is wood frame circa '92, 2000 ft^2, two floors in SE PA. Anyone in the know want to ballpark a price so I don't get screwed?

I personally do not like goodman units and prefer to go with the ICP (Carrier) offbrands. Arcoaire is a really good unit for the price. I put one in my parents house (3 ton) last summer and came in just under $3000 for parts (did not charge them labor.) I'm going to go ahead and ballpark that you were given a price of $9500 if it was a big name, a bit less for a smaller local contractor. Whatever you have installed, I recommend you have them add a low pressure cutoff safety if the unit doesn't have one. They cost like $15 and take 3 extra minutes to install, and if all your refrigerant leaks out the compressor doesn't run till it dies as well. Many residential units don't come with them. If you want to PM me pictures of estimates I can look them over.

iForge fucked around with this message at 03:02 on Jun 1, 2018

iForge
Oct 28, 2010

It doesn't look that dirty, you are likely experiencing a loss of fan or low refrigerant charge. Set your thermostat very low so the unit doesn't shut off, make sure the fan is running, and let it go for an hour or so. You might need to leave the system off for a couple hours to let the house warm up. if it still ices up and you know the fan is running and you are getting good airflow, you know its a refrigerant issue. While it is running for a while, check the larger of the two pipes that go to your outdoor condensing unit. If the larger is "beer can cold" you are in the ballpark for proper refrigerant charge. Its not an exact science that way, but it sounds like you don't have the tools to do the proper tests. You can buy some no-rinse evaporator cleaner off amazon if you can get in there to spray it. Don't get it in your eyes, wear goggles, etc.

iForge
Oct 28, 2010

mcgreenvegtables posted:

I had it set to 75 because I knew it would never get that low. I woke up and the thermostat read 78 and the coils were frozen over. Also forgot to mention the cold side line at the compressor was frozen over as well, for the inch or so that wasn't covered by insulation.

Have a service call set for tomorrow morning. I also dumped a can of coil cleaner each on the compressor outside and the evaporator inside. The evaporator might actually be totally compacted with dirt...the tiny little spot I was able to rub with a brush was full of dirt. But I'm not Gimpy so I couldn't get my hand any higher up in the return air duct to brush more of it. I may fashion some sort of brush on a stick to try to clean more of the evaporator coil surface if you guys think that isn't a totally terrible idea.

As long as you don't bend the fins, go hog wild with the brush.

iForge
Oct 28, 2010

mcgreenvegtables posted:

Update if anyone is interested.

The technician came today and set up his gauges to take a reading.

He told me based on the superheat (SH) number of 50, the refrigerant was low and said based on the outdoor temperature it should be reading about 10 and that his guess was it was at 60% charge. I asked if this meant there was a leak and he said "the service fittings looked a bit loose, so my guess is that is where the leak was" and he didn't bother to look for an actual leak. Which I thought was illegal? He charged me $85 service charge + $140/pound to put in 2.5 lbs of R22. Let me know if that is ripoff pricing and if so I'll throw his business card in the trash. But my guess is that is reasonable?

Hard to tell yet if the system is working better. The tech promised me the recharge would change everything. Based on my IR temp gauge vent air is now around 52F instead of 60F, and the refrigerant line is definitely colder to the touch at the evaporator. Fingers crossed this solves my problems for the next few years.

Refrigerant and other parts are commonly marked up by contractors but $140/lb is absurd. If memory serves right, I pay around $22/pound for R-22 last I bought it around a month ago. If I was doing the repair, I would have charged no more than $40/pound. I'd find a new contractor.

iForge
Oct 28, 2010

Jaweeeblop posted:

Also $22 per pound seems pretty high. Supply houses here in San Antonio are at $475 per 30lb cylinder.

Very possible that I am remembering wrong, since I buy with a corporate account and don't really have to pay attention to price. I did just look and we sell it to the customer for $30/lb so we must get it well under $22

iForge
Oct 28, 2010

kid sinister posted:

Eh, as it turns out, the original company that installed it didn't go out of business like I thought, they just moved to the other side of the county. The must be somewhat reputable if the guy was trying to upsell me to Amana.

I just found my original invoice from 7 years ago and it says I got an expansion valve. It also says they mismatched the condenser and coils too. Anyway, my valve has "MWP 680" written on it.

99% certain that is going to stand for max working pressure 680 (PSIG)..

Without you having the tools to take the necessary measurements anything we say here is really spitballing. However, I find it odd they were adjusting a 7 year old txv. Generally the failure modes of a txv are that the head/sensing bulb lose their charge and dont work at all, or the screen in them plugs up and restricts flow. Otherwise, there isn't really anything else to go wrong. Sounds like the guy was just trying whatever he could without knowing for sure. I recommend getting a reputable company to come look at it.

iForge
Oct 28, 2010

kid sinister posted:

So I did that. I got the original installers out. The stupid thing just needed refrigerant. He had to reverse what the first guy did, but now it's blowing cold again! Cheap too. :toot:

Now just bear in mind, systems don't consume refrigerant, so that means you have a leak somewhere and unless they fixed it you will have the same problem anywhere between a couple months to a couple years down the road.

iForge
Oct 28, 2010

kid sinister posted:

How bad does that happen compared to a car AC system? Car ACs bounce and shake around a lot more, so some loss is expected over the years.

It depends entirely on the size of the leak and where it is in the system as you can imagine. If (when) it happens again, decide if its worth it for you to have someone spend the time to find and fix it, or if a top-up every year or every other year is better.

iForge
Oct 28, 2010

Pimblor posted:

is it fair to say car ac units last as long as they do thanks to the rubber hoses in-between the hardpipes?

That rubber is a requirement. Your engine is on somewhat flexible mounts and will move around a little bit, so there has to be some flex in the lines that go to the condenser and the evaporator. If everything was hard piped, it wouldn't last a week.

iForge
Oct 28, 2010

the third option is going to be your best bet to stop that oil can effect. You can use some thin flat bar or angle iron from home depot and screw it to the outside of the duct where it is flexing.

iForge
Oct 28, 2010

Check filter once a week, change as needed until conditions improve. Using a lovely fiberglass filter increases your risk of clogging up your a/c coil, as well as having a lower indoor air quality. I end up changing mine every 2 months, and I get the filters in bulk for $3 each

iForge
Oct 28, 2010

Big K of Justice posted:

Hey, I'm poking my head in here looking for vacuum pump recommendations...

I'm using it with a vacuum chamber mostly for degassing purposes on resins and urethanes but there's crossover with automotive service so I can work on my trucks HVAC system from time to time.

I picked up a single stage 3 cfm oil Robinair import "amazon special" , and it does the job, but man its noisy as hell, really noisy to the point I may contact Robinair to see what their db spec is for the pump.

I heard that 2 stage pumps are quieter than 1 stage, so I may return the robinair and get a more expensive or another model.

I found a few pumps designed for indoor lab use that's rated at 40-50 db which would be perfect, but they are $1500+ dollars. Is there anything like that in the $500 or less range that folks have experience with? Since I'm at 1000 ft above sea level I can draw a max of vacuum of 28 inches of mercury or so vs 29.9 at sea level so maybe a good diaphragm based model would work in that case.

Yellow Jacket is the gold standard for HVAC pumps. I prefer the 6cfm 2 stage "superevac" model (part number 93560). It is on the upper end of your price scale but they are robust and I have evacuated everything from residential split systems to centrifugal chillers with the two I have. If you have a friend with access to account pricing at a hvac supply house or grainger you will likely get it cheaper than online. United Refrigeration had them on sale for $415 in December, unsure what they are now.

iForge
Oct 28, 2010

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

Following up on this, as I'm looking at replacement fans, does static pressure matter at all if I'm just trying to exhaust the hot air from the building/generate through air flow? Should I just be looking at CFM at 0" static pressure or is there a certain amount I should be looking for? Math says the building is around 75,000 cu. ft. so I've been looking at something 15-20000 CFM for a 3-4 minute air change.

It's a metal roof with clear skylights and no insulation in a hot part of the country-the radiant heat is killing me. My thermometer inside topped out at like 118F last summer with no fans running and I don't want to suffer through that again. White silicone coating on the roof is probably what I need to do, but that's serious $$$$.

Replace the motor with the same horsepower and speed that it originally had. You can buy and mount a larger motor pulley to speed the fan up. You will have to buy a longer belt as well. you can use this calculator to experiment, I wouldn't recommend going any more than 10% faster.

iForge fucked around with this message at 00:53 on Mar 29, 2019

iForge
Oct 28, 2010

MRC48B posted:

non comedy option:

The HVAC Thread: Please change the filter

This one will do nicely.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

iForge
Oct 28, 2010

SourKraut posted:

Thanks! I'm just nervous how it compares against a 100% speed unit, something like a vacuum cleaner, etc., since we have a dog who has a seizure disorder and hates certain high-pitched whines. She can easily lay outside though when our existing old builders-grade 100% speed Goodman unit is going 10-15 feet away.

Hoping now to get some Goon input and answers related to the quotes and such we've gotten. I'm heavily leaning now towards variable speed blower + variable speed compressor, but the last company I got a quote from, told me that they thought I could probably get what I want by doing a variable speed blower + two-stage compressor combination also, which could save me a decent bit of money.

We're also now interested in adding at least one additional return since the manual J calcs a couple of them have performed indicated that our unit size (5 ton) is appropriate, but that our return duct size is undersized for a 5-ton unit. The existing return is outside our bedroom and it's definitely noisy when on. We also have a front office room that gets pretty warm since it has windows on two sides, which we're going to possibly add a return to in order to help.

Company 1:
* Option 1: Trane XR17 two-stage compressor + Trane XV80 variable speed furnace (16.00 SEER / 12.5 EER)
- approx. $1000 more than the other two's quotes
* Option 2: Trane XV18 variable speed compressor + Trane XC80 variable speed furnace. (18.00 SEER / 12.5 EER)
- approx. $1100 more than the other two's quotes
* A second return included, somewhere in our hallway that serves all of the bedrooms
* Each additional return would cost $700
* They propose increasing the supply duct for the warm office I mentioned from the existing 10" to 12", but had also mentioned that the flow seemed reasonable currently
* They would use "anti microbial treated" sheetmetal for the new plenums, whatever that means.
* Company has been in business ~ 40 years
* 2-year labor warranty standard

Company 2:
* Option 1: Trane XV18 variable speed compressor + Trane XC80 variable speed furnace (18.0 SEER / 12.5 EER)
* Option 2: Lennox XC20 variable speed compressor + Lennox XC80 variable speed furnace (19.0 SEER / 13.0 EER)
- approx. $1700 more than the Trane combo above, because "Lennox"
* A second return included, placed in the front office room
* For a Trane install, they will include a wireless sensor for the Trane t-stat to help with temperature balancing
* They didn't quote the XR17 unit because they said with Trane's rebates, the XR17 is more expensive than the XV18...
* Company has been in business for "70 years", though it's changed ownership/name during that time
* 5-year labor warranty standard

Company 3:
* Option 1: Trane XR17 two-stage compressor + Trane XV80 variable speed furnace (16.00 SEER / 12.5 EER)
* Option 2: Trane XV18 variable speed compressor + Trane XC80 variable speed furnace. (18.00 SEER / 12.5 EER)
- approx. $1100 more than the other two
* No additional return included
* Each return would cost $750
* Company has been in business 7 years...
* 2-year labor warranty standard

I've asked for a quote from Company 2 for a Lennox combo of their 2-stage compressor with variable speed furnace, but I'm leaning toward them regardless given some of what they showed me and their 5-year labor warranty. I liked Company 3 but not being in business seemingly that long, plus being more due to not including a return, means they're not much less than Company 1. Company 2 is also the only one who would install a secondary condensate pan between the entire furnace/coil + plenum, while the other two would put it just under the coil and adjacent plenum.

Sorry for the long post, but I keep finding various/conflicting info on some of the HVAC forums I've been reading on, and figured I'd probably get some more common sense feedback here.

Let me preface this by saying that while I do have some knowledge here, I am not a residential tech. I do commercial/industrial service work. Bear in mind, the more expensive your install, the longer it takes to break even on energy savings. The more complicated the equipment, the more parts there are to fail at some point, and the higher the cost of those replacement parts and the labor time to troubleshoot/install goes up as well. I tend to lean more towards simplicity rather than energy savings for the long haul.

That being said, if I were to pick one, I would go with company 2 option 1. You are getting a much longer labor warranty with a company that has been in business for a long time and will most likely continue to be in business for the length of your warranty. The equipment quality of that option is on par with the rest of your options and you have a cheaper install cost with similar energy savings through variable speed components. A residential tech may chime in here and correct me, thats just my 0.02