Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD
Questions I don't know whether are answerable:

1) Home ducted aircon with a zone per room, close the doors of the cool rooms or open them?

If you close the doors you don't waste cooling power on the unused rooms.
If you open the doors the cool air can return to the intake.

2) What should be done with useless vents? There is a vent in the master bath that uselessly blows cool air so the master bedroom is positive pressure and leaks into the roof space. I've closed the louvres as best I can but is there something else to be done about that?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

ExplodingSims posted:

Ok, so there's a lot to ask here.
1. When you say a "zone per room" do you mean that you have a zoning control system? Like you have electronic dampers and individual temp control for each room?
I mean, in general you want to keep airflow as unobstructed as possible, because you're not "wasting cooling power", you're making the blower work that much harder to suck all the air back into the system.
I'm not quite sure what your issue is here? Are your rooms too cold?

2. Why do you say this is useless? You want your rooms to be in positive pressure. Hot air moves from hot spaces to cold spaces, so if you don't have a positive pressure in the building, then you're going to be sucking hot air in.
If you're that worried about it, then you're better off sealing up the leaky areas in your ceiling or whatever.

First, thanks for replying. Yes, our system is individual temperature control.
The reason I ask these questions is only about maximising efficiency, because it's fairly expensive to run obviously.

1. If the door to the bedroom is open, then cool air is flowing out of the room and into the hallways. So this is better than sealing the bedroom?

2. It's useless because I don't want my bathroom to be air conditioned. The cool air just goes through the fart fan into the roof. The master bath vent is always blowing if the master bedroom zone is turned on.
Also, there are vents in the hallways that always blow cold air but I'm guessing this is by design since the intakes are in the hallways.