Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
Replaced both the caps in my outdoor units and now the lights are much happier when they come on. I’m sure the compressors and motors are too. They were out of spec low by about 8-10%.

Micro Farads, macro difference.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

Warbird posted:

As a moron and homeowner, what steps can I take to ensure system performance and longevity beyond keeping on top of replacing filters? System is likely 12+ years old and works fine most of the time.

Stay on top of your run and compressor capactiors--mine were about the same age as yours but had fallen out of spec, which makes it harder on the motor and compressor to start up (and dims your lights as the motor is stalled longer). After 12 years being outside, yours are probably out of spec.

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
I need to promote airflow to a basement storage area (supply in main area -> return in supply area), but the storage is back by the utility plant and noisy due to air handler, powered water heater, etc. Normally I would just cut a jump duct between above the door, but I have insulated for sound between the rest of the wall and here.

Do they make jump ducts with offsets or baffles to cut down on sound transmission? I can probably MacGuyver something but wanted to check if there's a standard solution.

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
Jeezus, two replacement caps in three years? Are your outdoor units on the south side of the building or something?

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
Air handler for upper story being in the attic is everywhere where I am right now as opposed to where I grew up two hours south where it was always in a second floor bedroom or closet. Ducting would use the attic either way so v:)v

Aren’t the cool kids now making the attic part of the building envelope?

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
I have zoned heating/cooling and this time of year (it got hot this week in the Midwest) my upstairs smells a bit when the air starts. It’s not musty but just smells like hot cellulose. Like an attic.

The unit is in the attic, and registers are all fed with freaking flex duct. Is the hot attic smell likely a leak in the flex duct, or just inevitable with the air handler being outside the building envelope?

I’m curious if there’s anything I can do about it.

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
So is the cool thread Rec ecobee? 4? Lite?

I need two since I have zoned systems and I don’t think I need extra sensors. I will never yell at my thermostat or use Goog/Alexa, I will just set a program and I guess enrich HA via Zwave/ZigBee. HomeKit would be ok but that can be through HA.
Having charts would be interesting I guess but I’ll never look at them except to say “see, the whole house dehumidifier was awesome look what it did”

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

Motronic posted:

Even better - I don't know what those can do but I at least trust an known insustrial/resi controls company to make proper controls. If it does whatever "smart" things you think you need awesome.

I have z wave stats in my house, hooked up to my local only home automation. The only thing I use this for is setting back the heat at night, like I could do with a $40 programmable not at all wifi thermostat. Outside of vacation cabins, etc I'm not quite sure I understand the value proposition of connected thermostats.

Do you have a Honeywell T6 Motronic? I was looking around for some basic ones that I can still integrate into HomeAssistant—I basically want to be able to set it back when I’m away and forgot to change it, and it would be nice to have an internal humidity sensor as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

Motronic posted:

Lol sheer laziness to set the unit sideways. I wouldn't have accepted that job.

Yeah wtf?