Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

This might be more the electricity thread, so I'm going to crosspost. This old rear end house we bought has electric baseboard heaters in the basement. The thermostat is old and you can't really read any of the temperature settings. We have a total of 2 baseboard heaters on different walls, and I believe they are on different circuits. What the hell kind of basic thermostat do I need for them? I see different options, but I don't need anything more complicated than off and on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

Motronic posted:

Take well lit pictures.

Nobody wants to guess at the possibilities of what you have.

I'm also going to ask right up front: do you own this home or are you renting?

I'll see if I can get the thermostat off the wall and take a picture of it, the wiring, and any thermostat ID info. As for the does it matter aspect, if I can spend 20-30$ on a basic thermostat that allows for a bit more temperature adjustment depending on the ambient temp in the basement (which because old house, is often pretty cold right now), that would be nice to have.

Eventual plan is to go down to studs and do actual insulation and all that, but gotta save up some cash beforehand. We also have a natural gas fireplace insert that we aren't using until we have it inspected first, but one thing at a time.

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

I guess I should clarify that the current unreadable thermostat is adjustable but the dial is worn to the point that we can’t read it. I would simply like a new one (maybe digital) for easier use that we could adjust the heat output from these baseboard heaters. Nothing fancy, so yes, like a normal thermostat. I’ll try to get identifying info so I can make sure I am buying a compatible one.