Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Forum Hussy
Feb 8, 2005
About 6 months ago I had my downstairs package unit serviced for a reason I don't recall right now and it's worked fine, until I tried to turn on the AC for the first time this year. The blower motor turns on but the compressor kind of clicks occasionally and never starts. "Capacitor" is always the word you hear when the service guy comes so I figured I'd check that first. If I'm looking at this right, the compressor isn't even connected??? There's two leads on Common and two on Fan and thats it

According to the wiring diagram the yellow wire is supposed to go to the Herm term, would I be wrong to just swap it over? I tested capacitance and everything checks out fine.

Forum Hussy fucked around with this message at 08:11 on Apr 3, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Forum Hussy
Feb 8, 2005
I switched it over and turned everything back on, the compressor kicked on but the condenser fan didn't. I checked the capacitance values with a voltmeter and they were within spec the first time, then I couldn't get a reading from the fan side after that. I'm going to replace the capacitor and hope I don't have to get the fan motor swapped out too