Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Daikatana Ritsu
Aug 1, 2008

is that game as Balls and poo poo as all the previous Mario RPG games since 1000 Year Door?

Doctor Goat
Jan 22, 2005

Where does it hurt?
i played it a little. i don't nkow how to feel about it

the battle gimmick in the first boss i fought overstayed its welcome

SM64Guy
Apr 1, 2005

Retarded_Clown_
Feb 18, 2012

Daikatana Ritsu posted:

is that game as Balls and poo poo as all the previous Mario RPG games since 1000 Year Door?

Yes, and I will continue to buy all the loving bad paper Mario and Mario and Luigi bullsjit that comes out. Not because I like them, but because I've been with Nintendo since childhood and will continue to support them.

I'm an adult now with a job in IT - $100 dollars is a meal out at a restaurant for me, so I don't see why I wouldn't want to support a beloved company.

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

Bowser's Inside Story, Dream Team and now Paper Jam are all epic games. Mario RPGs with surpringly brutal combat? Yes please.

Bolverkur
Aug 9, 2012

can't wait for a 20 minute philosophical video about the nature of Toads

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I've played about 2 hours and it seems awesome so far. It is definitely Paper Mario in a Mario and Luigi game, not Mario and Luigi in a Paper Mario game though.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Daikatana Ritsu posted:

Sticker Star sucked major rear end but the other Mario and Luigi games were moderately competent (dream team) to really good (bowser inside)

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I didn't play dream team but the overwhelming complaint that I heard is that the game started too slow and had too many tutorials. In this game all the tutorials are optional stuff you can read about in menus, and the game also has a speed up button like FFXII.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

I bought this yesterday but I still need to beat Dream Team so I haven't played it yet. GameStop gave me some Mario papercraft poo poo with it too which is kinda cool

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

In Training posted:

I've played about 2 hours and it seems awesome so far. It is definitely Paper Mario in a Mario and Luigi game, not Mario and Luigi in a Paper Mario game though.

what do you mean? like leveling up and stuff is more conventional RPG stuff instead of paper mario's way of doing it?

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Bobnumerotres posted:

what do you mean? like leveling up and stuff is more conventional RPG stuff instead of paper mario's way of doing it?

Yeah. And it's the M&L combat with a third person, although Paper Mario does have unique physics. Also, his health functions different. He has super low health comapred to the other two but he maintains Paper Copies. As long as you have at least one copy alive you don't take damage from attacks, just lose clones. You have to burn a turn to get more copies, but the more copies you have a alive, the more damage you're attacks do, but you also have to do slightly longer attack inputs. Its fairly cool. Also no badges, I was hoping they would include that as part of the crossover. The Trio Attacks are pretty involved too, and they're awesome to pull off succesfully

Bolverkur
Aug 9, 2012

I also heard that the game is more set in M&L's world instead of Paper Mario's, which I think is a drat shame if true

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up
i hate people whining and crying about paper mario games

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

elf help book posted:

my input is that both paper mario games were seriously, extremely good

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

In Training posted:

Yeah. And it's the M&L combat with a third person, although Paper Mario does have unique physics. Also, his health functions different. He has super low health comapred to the other two but he maintains Paper Copies. As long as you have at least one copy alive you don't take damage from attacks, just lose clones. You have to burn a turn to get more copies, but the more copies you have a alive, the more damage you're attacks do, but you also have to do slightly longer attack inputs. Its fairly cool. Also no badges, I was hoping they would include that as part of the crossover. The Trio Attacks are pretty involved too, and they're awesome to pull off succesfully

this sounds pretty cool actually, shame about the badges though. so im guessing it has M&L's equipment type stuff instead? there were some cool goodies you could find in inside story that were effectively badges so if they've got that im set. im probably just gonna buy this digitally right now cause im working OT today

Lumpy the Cook
Feb 4, 2011

Drippy-goo-yay, mother-gunker!

elf help book posted:

I've never seen people do this... Super Paper Mario was sort of an odd departure but the first two are some of the best RPGs ever.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Super Paper Mario was a pretty much a platformer with very few RPG elements but it's an okay game

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

it was shallow but it had Mr. L and a lot of the areas, especially some of the last ones were epic looking

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

I'm already on my way to making Mario a glass cannon, just picked up a pair of boots that gives him attack bonuses for having no extra gear on. The battle sprites are really great in this game, I love seeing paper mario cheer on mario and luigi as they do bros. attacks.

And drat, Yoko Shimomura really brought out her A-game for the battle themes in this one.

Michael Transactions
Nov 11, 2013

It seems bad

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
i should get my gamecube from my parents' house so i can play thousand year door again.alternately get a wiiu and the virtual console

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off

Bobnumerotres posted:

it was shallow but it had Mr. L and a lot of the areas, especially some of the last ones were epic looking

i kinda liked it but the inventory+crafting situation was really bad.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

PleasingFungus posted:

i kinda liked it but the inventory+crafting situation was really bad.

i dont remember it having an inventory or ever dealing with healing items until the flopside pit of 100 trials lol

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

Daikatana Ritsu posted:

I couldn't get into TYD, it just fell flat for me after play SSS which for my money is still the best Mario RPG

i actually own BIS and played through some of it, but bought MH4U shortly after that and welp

yeah actually they will
Aug 18, 2012

In Training posted:

I didn't play dream team but the overwhelming complaint that I heard is that the game started too slow and had too many tutorials. In this game all the tutorials are optional stuff you can read about in menus, and the game also has a speed up button like FFXII.

my main criticism with dream team was the battles and exploration and story and boss battles weren't fun

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

elf help book posted:

I would like them to make another one.

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

Bobnumerotres posted:

this sounds pretty cool actually, shame about the badges though. so im guessing it has M&L's equipment type stuff instead? there were some cool goodies you could find in inside story that were effectively badges so if they've got that im set. im probably just gonna buy this digitally right now cause im working OT today

It's the same equip system as inside story, Mario and Luigi get their own set of equipment and Paper Mario has unique stuff. You get a hammer and boots then up to 3 other gear slots that you can put whatever combo you want into.

There's also a set of cheevo boots that get stronger as you unlock achievements. I'm definitely going for 100/100/100 in this game.

The achievements all give you currency that you can use in a special shop with unique gear.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

modest bros

welp i bought and downloaded it. ill be trying this out later

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

This Is A Long Course For Someone Without Any Powerups

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

FactsAreUseless posted:

Lmao

Mr. Sophistication
May 16, 2014

I know this wasn't your original avatar but I just love this game. Cheers, rediscover.

FactsAreUseless posted:

lol

A Great Big Bee!
Mar 8, 2007

Grimey Drawer
a neat thing about this game is that up until paper mario joins, the battle theme is a remix of the original one from superstar saga

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4SYLQl98orI

Chilled Milk
Jun 22, 2003

No one here is alone,
satellites in every home
picked this up today. got some Plane time coming up so it's good timing

gonna lay out some related opinions:

dream team was way too long + the gimmick battles were Distilled rear end but overall was ok

sticker star isn't as bad as every one says. the thing that everyone complains about -- cant attack w/o stickers literally, does not matter in the least. just use the stickers. it;s fine you'll get more. seriously just lay down some shiny smackdown

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

The Milkman posted:

sticker star isn't as bad as every one says. the thing that everyone complains about -- cant attack w/o stickers literally, does not matter in the least. just use the stickers. it;s fine you'll get more. seriously just lay down some shiny smackdown

I really like the area design in sticker star, especially the enigmansion.

Anyway in this game a certain angry worm is kicking my rear end and I haven't saved since the start of his area. I'm underleveled so I'm in this for the long haul.

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine
I hated Sticker Star since the combat felt insanely hollow compared to the previous games. No leveling up? Are you seroius? And since all attacks are ammunition there's like no point to fighting any of the enemies running around. Add on to that the fact there's hardly any dialogue (something the mario RPG's are usually filled with) and it's one of my most disapointing games of all time.

Paper Jam is really good though. :)

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up

Austrian mook posted:

I hated Sticker Star since the combat felt insanely hollow compared to the previous games. No leveling up? Are you seroius? And since all attacks are ammunition there's like no point to fighting any of the enemies running around. Add on to that the fact there's hardly any dialogue (something the mario RPG's are usually filled with) and it's one of my most disapointing games of all time.

Paper Jam is really good though. :)

the more you fight, the more money you get at the end of the stage, meaning you can buy more giant stickers to use against bosses

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Evil Eagle posted:

I really like the area design in sticker star, especially the enigmansion.

Anyway in this game a certain angry worm is kicking my rear end and I haven't saved since the start of his area. I'm underleveled so I'm in this for the long haul.

He was so hard I had to actually completely revise my strategy for my second attempt

It's cool

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

i beat the first boss after getting paper mario in my party and im in love with this game. its better than bowser's inside story

• Locked thread