Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

There's still time for P5P with a female protagonist

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Two Vita games just came out....

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

Sakurazuka posted:

i hope the system just gets random vita releases every couple months until the PS6

Healbot
Jul 7, 2006

very very very fucjable
very vywr very

Sakurazuka posted:

The Dreamcast also had some releases past the platforms death.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

As long as a console can run home brew it’s never dead

Vita means immortality

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

It is kind of amusing a console that was abandoned by its maker a year and half after its launch, before the PS4 even came out, is still getting official releases just as the PS5 is announced.

Oscar Wild
Apr 11, 2006

It's good to be a G
Is there a good place to get new vitas in the US?

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

The glove box of a Delorian? I think the new ones are all gone aren’t they?

Oscar Wild
Apr 11, 2006

It's good to be a G

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

The glove box of a Delorian? I think the new ones are all gone aren’t they?

Amazon or ebay it is.

Healbot
Jul 7, 2006

very very very fucjable
very vywr very

Oh my, I forgot Sony ceased their handheld production in November, so any new units you can get out of Japan cost upwards of €400 lmao.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

Oscar Wild posted:

Is there a good place to get new vitas in the US?
No, but, a lot of people who bought Vitas played it for a week and put it in a drawer for years, then sold it. So the ones on the used market are generally in good shape.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Yeah I’ve bought a used 1000 and two used 2000’s and they were all like new. Maybe I got lucky but I think Sony making GBS threads the bed with the vita combined with it not being a console generally bought for children means they’re in pretty good shape most of the time.

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT
I hope P4G on PC drives down the price of used Vitas and more people can buy them before they turn into collector's items.

It's still the single best portable emulation device. None of those little RG whatever chinese handhelds come close. I have a new 3DS XL, a Switch and an assortment of phones and controllers all running Retroarch but if I want to play anything PS1 era or earlier I reach for the Vita. It still travels with me more often than my Switch, or at least it will until I'm done with SOTN, the Persona 2 duology, P3P, FFIX and MGS 3. And the Suikodens, and hell it's the best looking way to play SMB3 which will always live on every system I own that can play it.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

It's still the single best portable emulation device. None of those little RG whatever chinese handhelds come close. I have a new 3DS XL, a Switch and an assortment of phones and controllers all running Retroarch but if I want to play anything PS1 era or earlier I reach for the Vita. It still travels with me more often than my Switch, or at least it will until I'm done with SOTN, the Persona 2 duology, P3P, FFIX and MGS 3. And the Suikodens, and hell it's the best looking way to play SMB3 which will always live on every system I own that can play it.

I thought this too, until I got an nvidia Shield portable. Not quite as portable as the Vita but it destroys it on the emulation front.

Don’t get me wrong I still love my dead gay console, but the shield. Hoo boy is it good

ShadowedFlames
Dec 26, 2009

Shoot this guy in the face.

Fallen Rib
Have an OLED Vita, and a Vita TV that I recently got back after it being used for streaming P4G a couple years ago by someone. Figured I’d put CFW on the Vita TV and leave my regular Vita unmodded, mainly for emulation (that should be more accessible to add randomizer ROMs to than over R-Pi) to play on a 50” tv.

So naturally after everything else goes right the SD2VITA card doesn’t read...or at least I *think* that’s the issue.

I did everything properly to downgrade from 3.73 to 3.60 and have Ensō on it. The SD card works fine, it had the blank image and format done and nothing went wrong. But here’s where I’m not sure if it’s the reader or if I somehow missed a step.

Went through the steps listed in the hacks(dot)guide site, but when running VitaShell to look at memory it’s showing that the Vita memory card is still in the ux0 folder that the 128 GB SD card should be, despite the plugins and such being set up correctly. (I tried taking the proprietary card out, leaving the SD in, and lost all of my CFW bubbles and options. So I doubt it’s the presence of multiple storage things simultaneously.)

So my question is simply: did I goof and miss a step somewhere or does a CFW Vita TV, when the primary card can’t be read, just move the next option in line up to be primary for that boot cycle? I’m leaning towards the latter being correct, and me needing to order another SD2VITA or three, but wanted to be sure I had read the situation properly.

TV Zombie
Sep 6, 2011

Burying all the trauma from past nights
Burying my anger in the past

Sakurazuka posted:

What are they?

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

The Utawarerumono remake and some dumb indie rougelike I cant remember the name of

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

ShadowedFlames posted:

Have an OLED Vita, and a Vita TV that I recently got back after it being used for streaming P4G a couple years ago by someone. Figured I’d put CFW on the Vita TV and leave my regular Vita unmodded, mainly for emulation (that should be more accessible to add randomizer ROMs to than over R-Pi) to play on a 50” tv.

So naturally after everything else goes right the SD2VITA card doesn’t read...or at least I *think* that’s the issue.

I did everything properly to downgrade from 3.73 to 3.60 and have Ensō on it. The SD card works fine, it had the blank image and format done and nothing went wrong. But here’s where I’m not sure if it’s the reader or if I somehow missed a step.

Went through the steps listed in the hacks(dot)guide site, but when running VitaShell to look at memory it’s showing that the Vita memory card is still in the ux0 folder that the 128 GB SD card should be, despite the plugins and such being set up correctly. (I tried taking the proprietary card out, leaving the SD in, and lost all of my CFW bubbles and options. So I doubt it’s the presence of multiple storage things simultaneously.)

So my question is simply: did I goof and miss a step somewhere or does a CFW Vita TV, when the primary card can’t be read, just move the next option in line up to be primary for that boot cycle? I’m leaning towards the latter being correct, and me needing to order another SD2VITA or three, but wanted to be sure I had read the situation properly.
Yes, if your card or whatever can't be read it just uses whatever else is there.

Why are you using SD2Vita on a VitaTV instead of USB?

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

Akuma posted:

Why are you using SD2Vita on a VitaTV instead of USB?

Wouldn't it be better than taking a USB port that would be more useful for an arcade stick/whatever?

ShadowedFlames
Dec 26, 2009

Shoot this guy in the face.

Fallen Rib

Saoshyant posted:

Wouldn't it be better than taking a USB port that would be more useful for an arcade stick/whatever?

Basically this. I want the USB port for any additions I might run into to add. Plus all my USB drives are 16 GB and under, and I had an 128 GB card to spare.

Plus I don’t have any physical Vita games so it’s not like I intend to remove it from the Vita TV any time soon.

That said, thanks for the info; I have a couple more adapters coming in tomorrow to try.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
I guess if you don't mind it being bit of a rat's nest of cables you could throw a powered USB hub in there.

Andrigaar
Dec 12, 2003
Saint of Killers

kirbysuperstar posted:

I guess if you don't mind it being bit of a rat's nest of cables you could throw a powered USB hub in there.

Can you do this? The only one I tried was old and didn't work.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Andrigaar posted:

Can you do this? The only one I tried was old and didn't work.

Dunno, I don't have one but theoretically..

Zeether
Aug 26, 2011

So I replaced my Vita 1000's screen recently and I noticed some minor scratches, the kind that leave a tiny rainbow effect on the screen when it's on. Is there a way to fix these? They're not super deep, just little surface ones.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=emIRumvPkeo

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Vita means YEAH YEAH YEAH YEAH

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

Zeether posted:

So I replaced my Vita 1000's screen recently and I noticed some minor scratches, the kind that leave a tiny rainbow effect on the screen when it's on. Is there a way to fix these? They're not super deep, just little surface ones.

There's some two part plastic polish you can get on amazon that does the trick.

I jumped into Danganronpa on a whim and it's loving great. People are dying who I definitely did not think were going to in hilarious ways.

Zeether
Aug 26, 2011

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

There's some two part plastic polish you can get on amazon that does the trick.
Novus? I know folks use that for cleaning pinball plastics, didn't know it worked on scratches too

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

That or plexus. I use it all the time on motorcycle windscreens and it works good

BisterdDave
Apr 21, 2004

Slitzweitz!
I've been reviewing the hacking process for my slim model running 3.73, and I was wondering, should I leave my current official 64gb memory card out of the system while I perform the full hack and firmware downgrade, or is it safe to leave it in throughout the whole process?

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

BisterdDave posted:

I've been reviewing the hacking process for my slim model running 3.73, and I was wondering, should I leave my current official 64gb memory card out of the system while I perform the full hack and firmware downgrade, or is it safe to leave it in throughout the whole process?

As a rule I remove all unnecessary storage from a device when I'm firmware flashing it and that goes double for stanky hacks off the internet.

John Romero
Jul 6, 2003

John Romero got made a bitch
rip

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

I can't believe we're still getting games for this thing.

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer
https://twitter.com/Wario64/status/1314280265460584448

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:rip:

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

The web store sucks anyway and I refuse to believe that there are any vitas left on earth that aren’t hacked

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

The web store sucks anyway and I refuse to believe that there are any vitas left on earth that aren’t hacked

i never bothered to!

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

That would require getting it out of whatever drawer I stuck it in with my 3DS

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Neither of mine are.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

my vita isnt hacked because as i was doing the mimana iyar chronicle exploit, literally AS I WAS LOADING THE ROOTING DATA FROM MY COMPUTER, sony threw out a big update to everything