Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
«8 »
  • Locked thread
Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

Four Brain Food Lunches and a Coke. ...and some dry white toast.



Ysolde Stormcrow
HP: 12/24 Luck 8/8 Armor: 0 Souls: 0 Jar: 5/5 Ring: 1/2 | Cantrips, Invisibility, Magic Missile

"I might be able to teach you that," replies Ysolde. "It depends on your ability, but it's possible. Trade secrets for secrets, perhaps?"

She pauses. "As for the sword... you could try. How quiet are you? The dog's sleeping soundly, but without the sword, it won't be held back by the chain. Of course, if we have the sword, we may not even need to fight it. If you want to try, I won't stop you."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

deadking
Apr 13, 2006

Hello? Charlemagne?!


Venner
HP: 16/20 Armor: 1 Luck: 14/14 Flask: 5/5 Souls: 0
trap expert: 2 holds


"Everything has its price of course, of course. I never went to school or nothing, but I'm a quick study. That's for later, though."

Impetuousness gets the better of Venner. "You know, if the door opening didn't wake that thing up, I'm sure I can get in there and get that sword without getting bitten." He grins, "but please do try and kill it before it eats me if it all goes south, yeah?" Venner creeps through the doorway...

defy danger 2d6+2: 5. uh oh!

slydingdoor
Oct 26, 2010

Are you in or are you out?

Venner, the sword is stuck fast, you suspect it has been drilled deep into the stone. At your touch, a mound of ash rises from the ground at the foot of the sword, and begins to glow orange. The torches in the tunnel brighten in sympathy, and you notice a white soul shining from the bottom the nearby well, quite a ways down.

Then the beast awakens. You hear a growl like a roaring bonfire, and the rattling of the chain dragging across the stone ground as it circles behind you. Its wide open white eyes emit a harsh glare, and its snake-headed tail uncoils and whips around with a hiss like steam. You see all the mouths of the creature secrete flecks of glowing magma.

What do you do?
Soul Bank 170

StringOfLetters
Apr 2, 2007
What?

Odessa
HP: 18/22 Luck 10/11 Armor: 1 Souls: 0 Flask: 3/5 Spice: 2/2 | -1 INT/WIS/CHA | Rotes, Bless, Speak with Dead

I practically hold my own breath while Venner creeps down the hall. And, when the beast rises, I flinch on his behalf.

I want to help, truly, but I don't think getting within reach of that snake-head tail (how many brains does that thing have?) is going to be very constructive. I can always ~pray~!

I hold my divine symbol aloft, let it catch the light of the spiral sword and reflect it back toward Venner. I mutter, "Alarai preserve him."

Spell: Bless: Venner: 2d6+1 8
Edit: Revoked.

StringOfLetters fucked around with this message at Feb 28, 2016 around 04:45

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013


Agerios Lapheusix
HP: 30/30 Armor: 3/3 Souls: 7 Luck: 6/7 Bag of Obols: 3/5 Shears: 1/2

When I see Venner's bad situation, I decide to go on the offensive right here and now, plans be damned. "Dom! With me!" I yell, and I charge down the corridor, shield in front of me and spear at the ready for a good strike. I seem to catch the creature when all its attention is on the hapless thief, and go for a nice jab to its side.

Hack & Slash roll: 11.
Damage: 6

I roar like a lion when I jam it deeply into the beast's flank, and pull it out again without much difficulty. Then, I hold my shield high, and brace to be put on the defensive. Hopefully I can keep its heads or claws at bay with the length of my spear.

deadking
Apr 13, 2006

Hello? Charlemagne?!


Venner
HP: 16/20 Armor: 1 Luck: 14/14 Poison 2/3 Throwing Knives: 2/3 Flask: 5/5 Souls: 0
trap expert: 2 holds


As the beast circles him, Venner fights to keep his composure. He smiles non-threateningly and addresses the creature in an easy tone. "Easy there beautiful, let me see if I've got a nice piece of jerky for you." He dips his hand beneath his coat and surreptitiously coats a throwing knife in poison.

When Agerios charges and he feels the warmth of Odessa's blessing flow over him, Venner jumps backward, hoping to take advantage of the monster's distraction. He flings the knife, hoping the dose is large enough for a creature of this size. Landing, he pulls his sword from its scabbard.

Volley: 2d6+3: 13
Damage: 1d8: 5

Serpent's Tears: Anyone dealing damage to the target rolls twice and takes the better result.

deadking fucked around with this message at Feb 28, 2016 around 15:33

slydingdoor
Oct 26, 2010

Are you in or are you out?

The beast howls at the spear that punctures its flank and the knife that pierces its left eye, then it pounces at you, Venner, baring black fangs that shine in the bright light like obsidian razors. At the same time the snake seemingly strikes the at air between you, Agerios, but each lunge launches a glob of magma your way. Anyone else running up the tunnel will have to contend with the molten rain as well.

What do you do?
Soul Bank 170

mistaya
Oct 18, 2006

Cat of Wealth and Taste


Dom
HP: 25/32 Armor: 3 Souls: 0 LCK: 11/11 Beads: 3/5 Salts: 1/2
Ongoing: -1 INT/WIS/CHA


I realize what a fool I've been while the rogue is trying to steal the sword, and take a whiff of my smelling salts. The pungent odor brings to mind the mud and blood of battle, and it is no difficulty at all to imagine my armor and then... bring it forth. It does hurt though, and requires a second of my beads to restore me to something resembling health.

By the time it's done however, things have started to happen. Agerios dashes ahead of me, yelling, and I don't quite manage to stay apace with him, before the snake-head on the creatures tail begins spitting at us.

I raise my shield and stomp down the tunnel ahead of the girls, trusting the steel to block at least some of it... If I have to lose it to get close enough to use my sword, well so be it. "Come on!"

Defy Danger CON: 2d6+2 = 10!

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

Four Brain Food Lunches and a Coke. ...and some dry white toast.



Ysolde Stormcrow
HP: 12/24 Luck 8/8 Armor: 0 Souls: 0 Jar: 5/5 Ring: 1/2 | Cantrips, Invisibility, Magic Missile

Well, that went poorly.

Ysolde doesn't have time to contemplate her bad advice to Venner, because there are more important things to worry about, like the result of that bad advice. She tries to move to get a clear shot on the beast, realizing only too late that there's magma filling the corridor... but her mind's already focused on working her magic, bringing its full force to bear. A part of her is contemplating just how much this is going to hurt, but maybe she'll manage to make the monster hurt in turn.

DD (Dex) to get a shot: 2d6 4
Cast a Spell (Magic Missile the chimerberus): 2d6+2 14
Magic Missile damage (two sets, Serpent's Tears): 2#2d4 5 4

5 damage, and, uh, probably some bad times comin'.

StringOfLetters
Apr 2, 2007
What?

Odessa
HP: 18->7->18/22 Luck 10/11 Armor: 1 Souls: 0 Flask: 3->2/5 Spice: 2->1/2 | -1 INT/WIS/CHA | Rotes, Bless, Speak with Dead

Such ferocity! Such valor! I am profoundly blessed, not only in being Alarai's chosen, but in finding myself alongside such brave and competent warriors. I'm certainly not going to shoulder my way past both of them, and lava-spit, only to probably distract them. Not unless I'm certain I see an opportunity to aid somebody.

I take a puff of the spirit spice in its pipe. Without putting a flame to it, it still grows hot and parts with a trickle of smoke when I suck air through it, as if there's an ember that never extinguishes. Before I release a breath, I can feel the spice working. My senses sharpen, the haze of normality lifts from my mind, my pupils dilate, and the world feels more real and present around me. When I exhale, something more than air and smoke leaves my lungs. (-11hp, +spells)

Then I shout, "Yeah! Way to go!" down the hall, and take a sip from my canteen of soul juice. (+11hp)

deadking
Apr 13, 2006

Hello? Charlemagne?!


Venner
HP: 16/20 Armor: 1 Luck: 14/14 Poison 2/3 Throwing Knives: 2/3 Flask: 5/5 Souls: 0
trap expert: 2 holds


Venner shifts back, feigning retreat as the creature pounces. At the last second, he lunges forward, trying to avoid the monster's jaws. As he moves, he shifts towards the eye with the knife sticking out of it. Hoping to catch his target in its new blind spot, Venner tries to bury his sword in the hound's neck.

Hack and Slash: 2d6+2 5

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013


Agerios Lapheusix
HP: 30/30 Armor: 3/3 Souls: 7 Luck: 6/7 Bag of Obols: 3/5 Shears: 1/2

Acting on reflexes, I do a combat roll to dodge the magma glob that is thrown my way, and try to get closer to Venner.

DD + Dex: 13!

If I get close enough to Venner to do so, I immediately move in to cover him with my shield and draw the monster's attention.

Guarding... Oh. A 5.

mistaya
Oct 18, 2006

Cat of Wealth and Taste


Dom
HP: 25/32 Armor: 3 Souls: 0 LCK: 11/11 Beads: 3/5 Salts: 1/2
Ongoing: -1 INT/WIS/CHA


Lava-spit still steaming on my shield, I take my sword in both hands and give a mighty chop at the base of the snake-tail, and add my battle cry to Agerios'! "YAAA!"

Hack and Slack: 2d6+1 = 10!
Damage roll: 1d10 = 10!

slydingdoor
Oct 26, 2010

Are you in or are you out?

Dominik, your shield becomes heavier and lighter as lava-shot splatters onto it then sloughs off. The serpent-tail, thick as your thigh, hisses back at you when you cry out, then is silenced when you sever it in one mighty blow. It writhes on the ground as if it belonged to a mere gecko rather than the twisted beast before you.

Venner, the dog-heads of the beast ignores the decapitation of the serpent-head in the rear. The half-blind one tracks your movement no doubt thanks to its twin's eyes, and it snaps up the inside of your arm before you can bring your sword around into its neck. The fangs sink deep into your upper arm and shake you until you drop your weapon, then the beast rears up, bucks back and forth to turn towards the tunnel, and tosses you up in the air where you will soon drop into its open maw. bite: 1d10+1 3

Agerios, the beast's cave-vibrating leaps not only turn it to face you, they also whip its chain up and down, pulling it taut right in front of you as you stand out of your roll and arresting your advance long enough for its right head to go low and strike. The sideways-turned head snaps around your waist and slams you prone, then lifts you into the air and viciously shakes you back and forth.
bite: 1d10+1 11

Ysolde, before you incant the final word of the spell you are struck in the abdomen by a molten stone shot put that knocks the wind out of you. It burns straight through your flimsy clothes where it strikes them and sets the ring around the area alight. You hear the loud chop and thud of a headsman's execution, then see the writhing serpent twitching and winding past Dominik and down the tunnel, hemorrhaging lava from both ends, eyes locked on you. But while the shot continues to press upon your diaphragm and sink deeper through your flesh, you are unable to project your voice and finish the spell before your enemy delivers its final, dying strike.
magma: 1d10+1 10

Odessa, while you puff and quaff, the severed serpent head slithers narrowly past you, giving you only the chance to move out of its way. However, the stream of lava it leaves in its wake begins to flow down the slight slant in the tunnel meant to channel spilled well water, and you are in its path.

What do you do?
Soul Bank 200

deadking
Apr 13, 2006

Hello? Charlemagne?!


Venner
HP: 13/20 Armor: 1 Luck: 14/14 Poison 2/3 Throwing Knives: 2/3 Flask: 5/5 Souls: 0
trap expert: 2 holds


Venner cries out when the creature sinks its teeth into his arm. His sword clatters to the ground as the dog-head tosses him into the air. Venner desperately twists in flight, trying to roll away from the waiting jaws. At the same time, he claws open the clasp on his sheath and pulls out his knife. As he descends, Venner aims for a spot between the monster's necks...

Hack and Slash: 2d6+2 12
Damage: 1d8 3

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

Four Brain Food Lunches and a Coke. ...and some dry white toast.



Ysolde Stormcrow
HP: 12 -> 2 -> 14/24 Luck 8/8 Armor: 0 Souls: 0 Jar: 4/5 Ring: 1/2 | Cantrips, Invisibility, Magic Missile

The molten shot literally took Ysolde's breath away, and it's several long, agonizing moments before she can even begin to recover her bodily integrity, let alone her composure. One hand scrabbles for the glass globe on her belt, shaking it to knock an orange-yellow berry from the tiny plant inside, then finally managing to retrieve the loose berry and raise it to her mouth. Ysolde only manages to chew it twice before she forces it down her throat, and she's in too much pain to even register the long-awaited taste of the fruit, but at last she's able to inhale again and stay on her feet, however shakily.

The spell's still coiled around her mind, and at last, with air in her lungs, she unleashes it again, pointing at the semi-beheaded monster to unleash her twinned Magic Missiles. This creature isn't the only one that can be defiant in the face of death.

Spending a recovery item use to gain half HP back, then repeating the last rolls, since I was given the okay for this on IRC:
Cast a Spell (Magic Missile the chimerberus): 2d6+2 14
Magic Missile damage (two sets, Serpent's Tears): 2#2d4 5 4

No spell cast due to focusing on recovery/being in a spot.!

Antivehicular fucked around with this message at Mar 7, 2016 around 03:32

mistaya
Oct 18, 2006

Cat of Wealth and Taste


Dom
HP: 25/32 Armor: 3 Souls: 0 LCK: 11/11 Beads: 3/5 Salts: 1/2
Ongoing: -1 INT/WIS/CHA


I can't help staring in horror as the wriggling decapitated (de-tailed?) snake lunges at the girls. It was not my intent to make things worse! But it seems to have finally quit, and so I turn back to the bleeding beast.

Rattled, my next blow is not nearly as effective... Or perhaps I just forgot to yell loudly enough.

Hack and Slack: 2d6+1 = 5! Well, there goes my karma.

slydingdoor
Oct 26, 2010

Are you in or are you out?

Ysolde, you bite into the healing berry as the serpent sinks its fangs into you. Its weight and convulsions unbalance you and drag you to the ground, sending you both rolling into the tunnel wall. Then the twitching stops: the snake has failed in its final task.
dying bite: 1d10+1 6

Venner, you deflect the snout of the creature, falling away from its jaws, and slice deeply where its necks converge. A blood jet kicks up dust as it paints a line in the ground, and the creature groans. It turns toward you, drops Agerios gently on the ground, and backs away with its heads down.

Dominik, you see that more blood that the beast loses, the dimmer its eyes become, and the more the bonfire that Venner sparked before begins to flicker and die. You are the only one standing with weapon in hand.

What do you do?

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013


Agerios Lapheusix
HP: 19/30 Armor: 3/3 Souls: 7 Luck: 5/7 Bag of Obols: 3/5 Shears: 1/2

Argh, being mauled by that thing seriously hurt! I lie motionless on the floor, trying to come to terms with the mind-numbing pain.

I painfully grunt to Dominik: "Imagine that the keeper of a huge, strong beast... notices what makes it angry... what it desires... how it has to be approached... and... handled..."

Hoping Dom gets lucky and figures out how to calm the beast. Rolled a 7!

mistaya
Oct 18, 2006

Cat of Wealth and Taste


Dom
HP: 25/32 Armor: 3 Souls: 0 LCK: 11/11 Beads: 3/5 Salts: 1/2
Ongoing: -1 INT/WIS/CHA


"Handled?" I repeat, glaring at the beast. I know exactly how I want to handle it after it tore us all up so badly!

But as I raise my weapon, it cringes, no longer fighting. This is Agerios' world, so I do my best to listen to him.

"BEAST!" I yell, keeping my sword raised. "By my authority as a Knight, and as chosen witness to the end of days, you will come to HEEL, or I will strike you dead." With my shield-hand I point at the floor. "DOWN."

If, perhaps it is trained, then... Well, I have no idea what will happen next.

Using my move "I am the Law" to order an NPC to obey me. 2d6 = 7!
It can choose 1: *Do what you say, *Back away cautiously, then flee, *Attack you

StringOfLetters
Apr 2, 2007
What?

Odessa
HP: 18/22 Luck 10/11 Armor: 1 Souls: 0 Flask: 2/5 Spice: 1/2 | -1 INT/WIS/CHA | Rotes, Bless, Speak with Dead

I shout something like, "Eep!" and then hope nobody was paying attention to me. Where is all this molten stuff coming from? This monster shouldn't be physically possible! I suppose that's why it's a monster. I've a mind to chase after the slithering head and squish it, but it dies on its own soon enough. Good.

Lacking any means to outwit a flow of lava, I try to leap up-hill and over it.

Defy Danger: Dex: 2d6-1 5

I'm certain I can find a way to hurt myself in the act.

slydingdoor
Oct 26, 2010

Are you in or are you out?

Agerios, as the beast bleeds out, breathing heavily, you see the red tip of the flame rising from the dying bonfire, the first you've seen, bend toward it in the same way that white souls bent toward you before taking flight on the same path. In addition, the soul of the beast is not white, but the same color as the smoldering ashes beneath the bonfire, except in its tail, which is white and points to Dominik. The two red flames awoke, and now flicker in perfect synchrony. If the beast dies, its soul will go to the Knight, and the red soul will be no more. On the other hand, it has a mighty soul itself, which can be yours.

Dominik, the beast does not understand your words, but its eyes follow your gesture: down. It strafes over to the well, eyes locked on you, preparing to fall.

Odessa, this leap fails to clear the lava stream, and both of your feet land atop it. Your footwear ignites, and its soles melt. Your nerves are so overwhelmed that you feel no pain, only the sensation of pressure and minor discomfort, as if your feet swelled in too snug a shoe, then numbness. It is still easy enough to run atop the molten rock to safety, and snuff the flames, but walking afterwards becomes awkward and distracting, as if you had no feet at all. Take 3 damage from the lava burn, and -1 ongoing to rolls pertaining to on-foot movement.

What do you do?
Soul Bank: 220

slydingdoor fucked around with this message at Mar 7, 2016 around 19:50

StringOfLetters
Apr 2, 2007
What?

Odessa
HP: 15/22 Luck 10/11 Armor: 1 Souls: 0 Flask: 2/5 Spice: 1/2 | -1 INT/WIS/CHA/FOOT | Rotes, Bless, Speak with Dead

I whimper, sit down on the stone floor, and take a moment to admire the horror of my ruined feet. They're in worse shape than my burned hand, now. I de-manifest what remains of my boots (originally peeled off another dead woman) to give myself room to swell, and then practice shuffling around on my swollen-stumped ankles. Ouch, to say the least. I'll be keeping that to a minimum.

Then, I turn my attention to the wounded beast and try to parse what's happening with its ebbing life and the spiral-sword's light. I speculate aloud, "Its soul is split into parts? And, um, part of it is bound to the spiral? What in the world..."

What in the world, indeed. I realize I'm being too mindful of the literal, of the physical, where I'm far out of my depth as a weak, hobbled, burnt girl. I turn the bar of Alarai's constellation to catch the reddish light of the bonfire, and beseech it for guidance, "My lord, where would you guide this beast's life?"

Cast Spell: Guidance Rote: 2d6+1 8
Revoked

slydingdoor
Oct 26, 2010

Are you in or are you out?

Odessa, the constellation of stars that represent your merciful god appear above the beast and the bonfire. They would have you save them from impending death.

What do you do?
Soul Bank: 220

StringOfLetters
Apr 2, 2007
What?

Odessa
HP: 15/22 Luck 10/11 Armor: 1 Souls: 0 Flask: 2/5 Spice: 1/2 | -1 INT/WIS/CHA/FOOT | Rotes, Bless, Speak with Dead

I do so love it when divine omens are so straightforward. Pity to those whose divine patrons are less bright and clear than great Alarai.

I'll say, "Please, stay your hands. I think we'll be better served keeping this beast, and its fire, alive. You've soundly beaten the fight out of it, and I think it is ready to submit."

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013


Agerios Lapheusix
HP: 19/30 Armor: 3/3 Souls: 7 Luck: 5/7 Bag of Obols: 3/5 Shears: 1/2

I grin. "Good fight." I cough a few more times as I struggle to my knees, and repeat: "drat good fight."

There is no honour in striking down a yielding foe. "Let us see what happens now."

StringOfLetters
Apr 2, 2007
What?

Odessa
HP: 15/22 Luck 10/11 Armor: 1 Souls: 0 Flask: 2/5 Spice: 1/2 | -1 INT/WIS/CHA/FOOT | Rotes, Bless, Speak with Dead

Hoo boy. It dawns on me that the beast is going to either bleed out or fling itself off a cliff. That's an impressive amount of loyalty, at least. This is going to be harder and scarier than just asking someone to stop fighting..

I hobble over towards the murder hound, and drop to my knees, both to appear less threatening and because gently caress my feet. I shuffle forward on my knees, slowly extend a fist towards its burning snoot, and try very hard to keep my voice calm and even as I say something like, "Hi there. I'm not going to hurt you. Hey there. Hey. It's alright. Have a sniff. Friends? Buddies? Yeah?"

If I'm able to get close and touch it without being growled at or being barfed on with flame, I'm going to manifest up a portion of rations (-1/5) to offer it, as a stronger peace offering. If it's receptive to my dried, salted food, I'll see if I'm physically able to pour out and share a sip of my spirit flask.

edit: If it snaps at me, I will shriek, jump back, and scream, "Kill it kill it kill it!"

StringOfLetters fucked around with this message at Mar 7, 2016 around 23:28

deadking
Apr 13, 2006

Hello? Charlemagne?!


Venner
HP: 16/20 Armor: 1 Luck: 14/14 Poison 2/3 Throwing Knives: 2/3 Flask: 5/5 Souls: 0
trap expert: 2 holds


As the beast retreats, Venner winces as he feels the bite wound on his arm. He smiles at his good fortune when he finds that no tendons have been severed. He retrieves his sword and returns it to its scabbard. Venner pulls a cloth from his pockets and first wipes the sweat from his face, then the blood from his knife. As he cleans the blade he turns to Agieros, "well no one died at least, so that's something." He regards the rest of the party, "Thanks, by the way, I thought my luck had turned for a moment."

Venner rolls his eyes slightly as Odessa approaches the creature on her knees. "Careful now, that thing tossed me and our friend around like a terrier going after alley rats. I don't trust it, even if it's dying." He glances back to Agieros, "no offense, of course."

slydingdoor
Oct 26, 2010

Are you in or are you out?

Odessa, one dog-head goes for the food, the other the contents of the flask. Its wounds close, and the bonfire finishes igniting, making the spiral sword flash brilliantly then twinkle. The flames are warm and soothing, dwarfing the anodyne of your recovery items. The beast looks you in the eye, yowls at you as if trying to speak, waits a beat, then curls up by the bonfire and goes back into a deep sleep, throat and belly exposed. Only touching the beast or the spiral sword will awaken it.

Agerios, since the beast was pacified the closer you in particular get to the bonfire the more you are reminded of the strange feeling of being lost in time, as you felt while in the Nexus. The world outside the room blurs and clears as your close or withdraw from the warmth.

What do you do?
Soul Bank: 220

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

Four Brain Food Lunches and a Coke. ...and some dry white toast.



Ysolde Stormcrow
HP: 14 -> 8/24 Luck: 8/8 Armor: 0 Souls: 0 Jar: 4/5 Ring: 1/2 | Cantrips, Invisibility, Magic Missile

Ysolde hits the wall hard, and before she even collects her thoughts enough to think about standing, her hands move to the chunk of molten rock still embedded in her flesh. It's not too deep, and she feels strangely strengthened by the sheer fact of her survival, so she follows instincts and simply yanks hard on the stone to remove it before flinging it back towards the wall. There's an ugly, scorched hole in her robes around her midriff and an uglier, ragged burn/stab wound beneath... but she'll live. Or "live," really.

Ysolde inhales, pushes herself to her feet, and begins to pull at the serpent's head that's embedded itself into the flesh of her leg. This one is a two-handed job, and the paired puncture wounds are still seeping, without the auto-cauterizing effect of the lava. A quick test determines she can put weight on the leg, though, and she slowly begins to head towards the others, still carrying the disembodied serpent's head in both hands. Perhaps there's something that can be scavenged from it?

"... You didn't kill it? Interesting. How'd the fire get started?"

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013


Agerios Lapheusix
HP: 19/30 Armor: 3/3 Souls: 7 Luck: 5/7 Bag of Obols: 3/5 Shears: 1/2

I approach the bonfire and ask: "Are you guys seeing this? The world... Seems to blur together."

I drop to my knees, half from exhaustion, half from wanting to pray, and collect my thoughts. "Was this it? We fight our way through my devastated homeland, meet eye to eye with a hellhound... A cerberos? All for a bonfire? What answers does this give? What are the questions we are even supposed to be asking?"

I pound my fist on the floor. "When we see that wax-eyed hag, I'll shake the information out of her. What a sick prank to play."

I sit in silence and watch the bonfire. Its warmth and soft crackling is soothing, and I finally decide, more calmly this time: "Perhaps we should go find this inventor. Let's take five to recover, and we'll be on our way. Venner," I turn to the thief, "do you think you could extract venom and antidote from the severed snake head? Just in case there's more of those beasts out there." I don't like poisoning enemies as a principle, but the rules of life and death have changed in this place.

slydingdoor
Oct 26, 2010

Are you in or are you out?

Agerios, when you will it and recline by the bonfire, everyone Recovers. The circular door returns to the place you found it, blocking the tunnel. The dog awakens again, one head sniffing at Odessa's rations and the other staring down the well, at the large white soul. The snake head is coiled up and slumbering.

What do you do?

StringOfLetters
Apr 2, 2007
What?

Odessa
HP: 22/22 Luck 10/11 Armor: 1 Souls: 0 Flask: 5/5 Spice: 2/2 | Rotes, Cause Fear, Charm Person

When Ysolde asked how the fire got started, I could only shrug, and say, "Magic? It seems connected to the hound, somehow."

Agerios has some visions, and I say, "Seeing what? Uh, no."

I kneel down by the bonfire and relax for some precious slow moments. It warms my spirit, if not my body. I stare a bit at Alarai's emblem. It looks especially radiant in the bonfire's light, like it's soaking it up. It was carved from a meteor, likely tossed down by Alarai for exactly this purpose, and has a hatched, almost crystalline pattern across its surface. In light, it scintillates quite unlike anything forged by human hands. I feel like there's insight in the pattern of light coming off it.

When Agerios mentions snake venom, it brings my attention back to the world. I say, "Good idea. But, an 'antidote' for a snake bite? I've never heard of such a thing, miracles aside."

Then the world shimmers and reasserts itself to the past, I recover miraculously, everything is crazy, and I stay very still for a moment to ensure I'm not hallucinating or something. After a long pause, I will say, "I think that's the strangest thing that's happened today. And that's really, really saying something. Uh, wow. Do you suppose the spiral pattern on that spike has some symbolic significance? The passage of time, as a spiral...? I have no idea. Wow."

I will pet the hell-hound, and progress to gently scratching its head if it seems amenable.

And I'll find a pebble to drop down the well. How long of a drop, and how hard of a landing, I wonder?

deadking
Apr 13, 2006

Hello? Charlemagne?!


Venner
HP: 20/20 Armor: 1 Luck: 14/14 Poison 3/3 Throwing Knives: 3/3 Flask: 5/5 Hanging Rope: 2/2 Souls: 0

Venner reclines by the fire. He fishes into his pockets and pulls out a pipe and a small pouch of tobacco. He fills the pipe, frowning at the pouch's meager contents. drat it, almost gone; who knows if I can get more in this hell? Venner sighs and carefully lights the pipe using the fire.

A wave of relief and momentary peace washes over the thief as time unwinds and his wounds close. He blinks and rubs his eyes as the feeling passes. He looks from Agieros to Odessa and joins their conversation, "have you considered that none of it means anything? Maybe there are no questions because there aren't any answers..." Venner shrugs.

He perks up when the hoplite's question about poisons gives him something he can wrap his mind around. "Could be done, I suppose? I weren't really one for poisoning, but I did learn a thing or two from the alchemists down Brewers' Row." He turns to Odessa, "and you can use some poisons to make yourself immune from the same, odd as that may sound. Some of the merchant lords back home used to take a little bit every day to ward against a fellow poisoning their food. Still, a knife in the back works all the same."

Venner grins crookedly as he rises to his feet. He crosses to the creature's tail and studies it intently, thinking about how he might extract the venom and brew a poison or antidote.

Spout Knowledge: 2d6+1: 10

I assumed that the human thief ability (+1 when you Spout Lore or Discern Realities about criminal activities) would apply. If not, the result is a 9.

slydingdoor
Oct 26, 2010

Are you in or are you out?

Venner, you could extract a magical lava secreting gland, but as it goes with many extremely toxic poisons, only if your hands were immune to it. In your land you recall alchemists-assassins who either synthesized or had a pre-mist cache of a black, ashy substance that, when their hands were caked in it, made them able to wield horrifying weapons coated in a paste that burned with unquenchable fire when exposed to air. It isn't a "venom" or "poison" as such, and thus has no "antidote," but it kills all the same.

Odessa, the stone falls a long way, past the white soul, before dinging against what you assume is a metal grate and then splashing into a liquid. The beast, awakened by your scratching, yowls at you again and points like a hunting breed down the tunnel. In front of the closed door lies the rolled up rope ladder you all passed by before, which in the confusion of the fight had been consumed by the lava.

What do you do?
Soul Bank: 220

mistaya
Oct 18, 2006

Cat of Wealth and Taste


Dom
HP: 32/32 Armor: 3 Souls: 0 LCK: 11/11 Beads: 5/5 Salts: 2/2
What a strange feeling, I think as my body returns to as it was when I first arrived here. Even the broken beads have reformed, as if... Well, I don't know what's done it but I can't help but be grateful.

"Good boy," I mutter, fetching the rope ladder and looking to see if there's something sturdy to affix it to. "Would someone light and nimble like to find out what that soul's got? Agerios and I can fetch you up post-haste if it looks dangerous."

StringOfLetters
Apr 2, 2007
What?

Odessa
HP: 22/22 Luck 10/11 Armor: 1 Souls: 0 Flask: 5/5 Spice: 2/2 | Rotes, Cause Fear, Charm Person

Oh, I thought sniffing at the food meant it was already awake. Oops! I flinch when it snaps up, then quickly calm down, since it's friendly. Yay!

Venner says something cynical, and I reply, "No answers? Nonsense. I, at least, was hand-picked by one of the Gods. The rest of you must have similar destinies in store. There's so much that's gone wrong in this place, my running theory is that we're here to set much of it right. Even if I'm mistaken, the nexus, the wax-eye'd oracle, the very deliberately constructed mausoleum holding our bodies... this is far too much to be meaningless."

When Dom says 'and nimble,' my eyes flit to Venner. Those were some pretty slick maneuvers, earlier. But he also looks pretty strong... I eye Ysolde up and down to estimate which of us is lighter. Then I sigh, raise a hand, and say, "I'll go. Please hold on tight."

And, once Dom has elevation in hand, I'll go down and poke the glowy thing.

StringOfLetters fucked around with this message at Mar 9, 2016 around 03:18

slydingdoor
Oct 26, 2010

Are you in or are you out?

Odessa, you get a short vision of hammering spikes in the wall of a well whose mouth is sealed by a circular stone, such that you can steal from the temple above. To your surprise, your candle reveals that the circular stone seal is a right above you--nowhere near as high as it was supposed to be. You're only about halfway through the hill. Then you hear the grinding of stone on stone and the seal quickly but at an even speed lowers onto you and smears you against the wall.

You absorb 130 souls. Split 5 ways, it's 26, but you could keep them all.

What do you do?

StringOfLetters
Apr 2, 2007
What?

Odessa
HP: 22/22 Luck 10/11 Armor: 1 Souls: 0->30 Flask: 5/5 Spice: 2/2 | Rotes, Cause Fear, Charm Person

I climb back up and say, "That's a relief - no death-traps! It seems that light was once a thief, climbing up through... I guess there must be a sewer or something, if she was coming from below. She knew this place as a temple, and wanted to rob it. And then got squished by a stone seal that once plugged this well, which I suppose was a death-trap. It was quick, at least. Here, let's see if I can't share a portion of it..."

If I'm able to make change, I'll pass 20 out to everybody else, and keep a share of 30 for assuming the risk. What would anyone even do with an extra six souls? Everything worth anything comes in tens.

Having forgotten a torch, I'll make a silent prayer for Light, to see if there's anything else within reach of the rope ladder. Who knows what maddened construction has gone on. Alarai's symbol should shine pure and bright, like all the stars on a moonless night.

Cast a Spell: Light: 2d6+2 6

But I suppose that's not really up to me. Dom, do you think you could hold the ladder extra steady or something?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

Four Brain Food Lunches and a Coke. ...and some dry white toast.



Ysolde Stormcrow
HP: 24/24 Luck: 8/8 Armor: 0 Souls: 0 Jar: 5/5 Ring: 2/2 | Cantrips, Invisibility, Magic Missile

Even in the welcoming light of the campfire, Ysolde still feels a touch too haggard to volunteer for the exploration. Her flesh (and her clothes) are rapidly knitting back together, though, and she sits up a bit straighter. "I don't know if I think we're chosen," she says, "but I can't believe none of this means anything. There's some sort of pattern here, and we're going to have to figure it out. I guess we're chosen by virtue of being the ones still around... maybe it's nicer to have a god choose you than all this."

Ysolde looks up as Odessa returns. "It's generous of you. Funny that there should have been a thief here that late, but I suppose everywhere dies at its own pace. ... Need a hand with something?" The cleric's magic isn't much like her own, but she can still recognize the gestures of magic, and of magic frustrated.

  • Locked thread
«8 »