Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
  • Locked thread
mistaya
Oct 18, 2006

Cat of Wealth and Taste




Dom
HP: 32/32 Armor: 0 (3 with equipment) Souls: 0 Sinner's Beads: 5/5

I stand at the precipice and look down uncertainly. "If God wills my death, or I find it by my own misfortune, then so be it, but I will not cast it away on a lark- even if it holds no meaning in this place."

I realize it sounds stuffy, but that can't be helped. I do mean it. But I am curious enough to wait and see what happens if anyone chooses to take the Candle-lighter up on her wager.

---

At the altar, I reach into the light and pull forth a string of fired clay beads. Each is the size of a small plum, brown as dried blood, and hollow. Sinner's beads, they're called. The monks wore them about the neck or the wrist, the sound of them clacking together meant to remind them of the Saint's way. They're delicate things, meant to be crushed in hand in times of trial, a small act of meaningless destruction to remind one not to destroy the things that matter in anger or despair. I have not had a set of my own since I was a boy.

I tie them around my shield wrist, where normally they would be hidden from view... but not now, for my shield- as well as my sword and armor- have quit me. I wear only a plain grey tunic and breeches, and the flesh of my hands is strung as tight as hard leather. My hair, vain though it seems to admit, is as vanished as my armor, and my face- though I have not seen it, for there is nothing to see it in- feels... sunken and skeletal. I must look a walking corpse. Would that I had my helmet, but for now it seems I must bear the shame of it.

----

"Watch it we shall, but aught else may be difficult, unarmed," I tell Agrius, as he approaches the stain on the floor. As the holes open I step forward in case he needs help.

"Are you alright?" I ask, kneeling to peer into the empty hole in the lower-crypt recession. The upper is occupied, and though I find the lights fascinating, I'm going to wait until I have greater need to plunder the dead.

Though if I see one with a sword...

Discern Realities: 2d6 = 9. "What is about to happen?"

----

quote:

Name: Ser Dominik Colfax
Look: Fiery Eyes, Bald, Worn Holy Symbol, Fit Body

Stats:
Classes: Knight lvl. 1
HP: 32
Base Damage: D10
Alignment: Lawful- Grant Rest to a Damned Soul

STR: 15 (+1)
DEX: 9 (0)
CON: 16 (+2)
WIS: 12 (0)
INT: 8 (-1)
CHA: 13 (+1)

Moves:
Human- When you Pray for Guidance, even for a moment, and ask, "What here is evil?" the GM will tell you, honestly.

Lay on Hands- When you Touch Someone, skin to skin, and pray for their well-being, roll+CHA. On a 10+ you heal 1d8dmg or remove one disease. On a 7-9 they are healed but the damage or disease is transferred to you.

Armored- You ignore the clumsy tag on armor you wear.

I am the Law- When you give an NPC an order based on your divine Authority, roll +CHA. On a 7+ they choose one:
*Do what you say
*Back away cautiously, then flee
*Attack you
On a 10+ you also take +1 forward against them. On a miss they do as they please and you take -1 forward against them.

Quest:
When you Dedicate yourself to a mission through prayer and ritual cleansing, state what you set out to do:
(See pg 123 for full listings.)
Current quest: "Defend the Human Leader (Agerios)"
Boons: An unwavering sense of direction to the Spiral Sword, Senses that pierce lies.
Vows: Honor (forbidden: cowardly tactics and tricks, Piety (required: observance of daily holy services) and Truth (forbidden: lies)

Completed quests:

Gear
Load is 12+STR. (13)
Clay Beads (5 uses, 1w)
Scale Armor (2arm 3w)
Mark of Faith (0w) A crudely carved wooden figure with no face.
Long Sword (close, +1dmg, 1w)
Shield (1arm, 2w)
Adventuring gear (1w) (4/5)

Bonds:
Mikaela's misguided behavior endangers their very soul!
I respect the beliefs of Odessa, but hope they will someday see the true way.
Agerios is a brave soul, I have much to learn from them.

mistaya fucked around with this message at Jan 30, 2016 around 08:28

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mistaya
Oct 18, 2006

Cat of Wealth and Taste


Dom
HP: 32/32 Armor: 0 (3 with equipment) Souls: 0 Sinner's Beads: 5/5

"Oh, bother," I mutter, staring at the quarrels.

While Odessa and Agerios are happily discussing the merits of the shining lights, which apparently contain the memories of the dead and their belongings, I am standing on a deadly trap. On one hand, Odessa proved earlier that death is no great difficulty here. On the other, having been struck once in the shoulder by a crossbowman I don't want a repeat experience, especially not ten times over.

"Have a care where you step," I say to the others. "There are traps in the floor panels. I do believe I've sprung one. Odessa, can I borrow that shield a moment? Else I will make a fine hedgehog when these arrows let fly..."

mistaya fucked around with this message at Jan 25, 2016 around 21:01

mistaya
Oct 18, 2006

Cat of Wealth and Taste


Dom
HP: 32/32 Armor: 0 (3 with equipment) Souls:0 LCK: 11/11 Sinner's Beads: 5/5

"Perhaps slide it along the floor?" I suggest, crouching and reaching towards her. The sparkle skids in my direction, and as I pick it up it becomes the strangely shaped shield once more.

"Alright, I'll do my best to block what I can but- well, on three you might want to jump clear."

I don't bother holding the shield as you're meant to, instead two-handing it before me and covering as much as I can with the bulk of it.

"One... Two... THREE!"

I step forward, not back, making the shield a larger target and saying a quick prayer.

Defying Danger with CON, 2d6+2 = 11!

mistaya
Oct 18, 2006

Cat of Wealth and Taste


Dom
HP: 32/32 Armor: 0 (3 with equipment) Souls:0 LCK: 11/11 Beads: 5/5

I pull a few quarrels from the borrowed shield before giving it up as a loss and offering it back to Odessa. "A bit worse for wear, I'm afraid, but thank you," I say, bowing to Mikaela as well. "And thank you for the timely intervention with the boulder, that could have gone badly otherwise."

What Agerios says makes sense, though I cannot understand why my body should be here. "I suppose there is only one way to find out," I say, approaching the higher of the two recessions this time and reaching for the light. I find myself in better spirits now that we've all faced something perilous together and survived. "Can one rob one's own tomb, do you think? And who brought us here? The Candle-lighter said she doesn't leave the Nexus, so it can't have been she."

mistaya
Oct 18, 2006

Cat of Wealth and Taste


Backing up just a bit...

Dom
HP: 32/32 Armor: 3 Souls:0 LCK: 11/11 Beads: 5/5

The weight of my father's armor settles uncomfortably around my shoulders. Steel, with a brassy finish. Meant for formal occasions- such as meeting one's own death- but still fully functional when it comes to defense. My sword is more familiar, and my heavy kite shield with the rearing lion painted on it that's taken many a blow for me in the past...

*click*

"Well, we should have seen this coming-" I manage to get out before Odessa springs the trap. I brace myself behind the shield again, hoping that Laitram-forged metal is a bit sturdier than Agerios' hoplon, even if it's tapering shape is far less suited as an arrow-blocking device.

Defy Danger, CON. 2d6+2 = 8, +1 forward from previous DR = 9.

mistaya
Oct 18, 2006

Cat of Wealth and Taste


Dom
HP: 32/32 Armor: 3 Souls: 0 LCK: 11/11 Beads: 5/5 Salts: 2/2

I let out a sigh of relief and pull the arrow from my boot. Could have lost a toe there, but I was lucky. Odessa's cry of pain is a sharp reminder that I have more than myself to be aware of here and I wince as I watch her dealing with the bolts... She had the shield, after all, I'd thought she'd use it!

The lack of blood from her wounds is unnerving.

"What, indeed?" I echo Odessa. "And even more important, what is our purpose? Someone brought our bodies here, to this tomb. Our spirits came as well, drawn to the candles, perhaps? But why did our arms and armor need to come separately? And why the gifts... Surely there IS a purpose to all of this... There must be."

It would be too cruel if there wasn't.

---

A short glass vial on a silver chain manifests in my hand. There's a cork for a stopper, and white salt inside. We used to carry salts like this into battle, the scent being powerful enough to bring a man stricken back to consciousness. The grains glitter like crystals, and I wonder if it's quite the same sort of thing as I remember, though I have no real need to test it now. I slip the chain over my head and tuck the vial under my shirt, where it will be safe.

Mikaela has wonderful news for us.

"I don't suppose we could just run out the door we came in?" I ask, glancing backwards.

mistaya
Oct 18, 2006

Cat of Wealth and Taste


Dom
HP: 32/32 Armor: 3 Souls: 0 LCK: 11/11 Beads: 5/5 Salts: 2/2

As the light nears I give Mikaela a shove to get her onto the ceiling quicker and then hand-over-hand myself up the rope. A moment of vertigo as the world readjusts and I'm after the others, though weighted down by my armor I am a bit slower than they. "Keep going, hurry!"

Defy Danger, STR to pull myself up off the floor. 2d6+1 = 10!

mistaya
Oct 18, 2006

Cat of Wealth and Taste


Dom
HP: 32/32 Armor: 3 Souls: 0 LCK: 11/11 Beads: 5/5 Salts: 2/2

I too am less than eager to see the remains of Laitram laid bare before me. "You do speak as though you know God personally, Mikaela. It would be... enlightening, to see what has become of a place where He held the people so closely. Though if this is the grave of worlds, as I imagine it to be, then we will only find ruin in them..."

I sigh, feeling troubled once more.

"Still, if we were chosen to be witnesses, then witness we must. And perhaps there is a way to change what has become of our worlds, if we look hard enough. I will not give up hope as quickly as that man over there has."

mistaya
Oct 18, 2006

Cat of Wealth and Taste


Dom
HP: 32/32 Armor: 3 Souls: 0 LCK: 11/11 Beads: 5/5 Salts: 2/2

I can see what this place could have been once, before it rotted, and it makes me sad to think of it. "Is there nothing we can do for this poor soul?" I ask, motioning to the tree. "Could we not burn it, or behead it... give it rest in some manner? Unless you think there is a way to undo whatever curse holds it prisoner... Just leaving it here is wrong."

Discern Realities, studying the tree to see if there's something we can do. 2d6= 6. Anyone want to Aid?

mistaya
Oct 18, 2006

Cat of Wealth and Taste


Dom
HP: 32/32 Armor: 3 Souls: 0 LCK: 11/11 Beads: 5/5 Salts: 2/2
Ongoing: -1 INT/WIS/CHA


"That was bloody awful!" I blurt out, as Odessa tries to warn me not to approach the stain to no avail and I'm forced to live through the legionnaires' last moments. I peer up at the tree and resolve to do something about it when I'm able.

Kneeling before the tree I rest both hands on my sword and pray, even as the insects descend on us. "Oh God, though you have forsaken this land, do not forsake me. Help me to protect my brother Agerios as we travel to the great city he calls the Polis, and help me to stand strong in the face of the evils that we will surely face. Amen."

Dom sets up his Quest, which is Protect Agerios since we're in his world. Boons: Sense Lies and Know the Direction of the Spiral Sword. Oaths: Honor, Piety, and Truth.

That being done, I reach into my bag for a torch and light it, waving it at the bugs that have settled on my armor until they decide to find a less threatening resting place. "Ah, Odessa, that is foul, come here-" I do my best to get them off her and the others as well. "We'd best get out of here. To the temple then?"

Adventuring Gear -1, 4 uses remain. Torch get!

mistaya fucked around with this message at Jan 30, 2016 around 08:28

mistaya
Oct 18, 2006

Cat of Wealth and Taste


Dom
HP: 32/32 Armor: 3 Souls: 0 LCK: 11/11 Beads: 5/5 Salts: 2/2
Ongoing: -1 INT/WIS/CHA


"OK that is enough of that," I announce, drawing my sword. Not that swords are terribly great weapons against giant flies, but if the torch didn't work I'm out of clever ideas.

The idea here is to beat a fighting retreat out of the rancid olive grove, hopefully we can manage it with minimal casualties..

Hack and Slash, 2d6+1 = 6. Welp. Someone can possibly Aid, or I can stab myself in the foot, either/or. 10 souls for the bank in any case.

mistaya
Oct 18, 2006

Cat of Wealth and Taste


Dom
HP: 32/32 Armor: 3 Souls: 0 LCK: 11/11 Beads: 5/5 Salts: 2/2
Ongoing: -1 INT/WIS/CHA


"Odessa, stop helping!" I yell, trying to get to her in time, but the olives are slick and I don't make it. She goes under the beetle and- and that's it. She's gone. "ODESSA!"

The shock of it stuns me for a few seconds as the beetle turns towards Agerios. There's no body... nothing at all where Odessa was last. The Candle-lighter's words are the only hope I have- that death cannot take us farther than the Nexus. But finding out will have to wait, unless we all end up joining her-

-where the hell did Mikaela go?

"Agerios, we need to flip it over, like Mikaela did the last one!" I sheathe my sword, because it's not long enough to act as a pry, and reach for a fallen branch, as thick as I can carry. Hopefully it's not too rotten to do the job. "Brace yourself!"

Dom chases after the beetle, waiting for it to stop running, then levers it over with the fallen branch. Defy Danger STR: 2d6+1 = 10!

mistaya
Oct 18, 2006

Cat of Wealth and Taste


Dom
HP: 32/32 Armor: 3 Souls: 0 LCK: 11/11 Beads: 5/5 Salts: 2/2
Ongoing: -1 INT/WIS/CHA


I stand up, watching in wonder as Odessa's spirit is called back from the beyond. "That is... something," I say. "Mikaela's gone on ahead, scouting I think." I give her a warm smile. "Welcome back."

To Agerios, I nod. "That was well done, ser. Should we try to salvage your gear or can you re-constitute it as you did before?"

If he wants to get his things back I will try to help, but I'd rather catch up with Mikaela as soon as possible.

mistaya
Oct 18, 2006

Cat of Wealth and Taste


Dom
HP: 32/32 Armor: 3 Souls: 0 LCK: 11/11 Beads: 5/5 Salts: 2/2
Ongoing: -1 INT/WIS/CHA


I chase after Agerios as we run into harpy territory and find the girls. I would rather deal with horrible bird beasts than horrible bug beasts, personally, though I have never encountered anything like them before coming to this world. I briefly wonder if they existed before the fall of the Polis, and if they did, if they were beautiful instead of hideous. There isn't time to ask though.

"Odessa, stand behind my shield and you should have time to speak your prayers. You said they had power, did you not? It will be difficult for us to use our weapons unless they swoop at us."

Swooping does seem likely though.

Standing in Defense of Odessa, cuz she's had a really bad day! 2d6+2 = 9, so 1 Hold

mistaya
Oct 18, 2006

Cat of Wealth and Taste


Dom
HP: 32/32 Armor: 3 Souls: 0 LCK: 11/11 Beads: 5/5 Salts: 2/2
Ongoing: -1 INT/WIS/CHA
3-hold to Defending Odessa


Note that due to Agerios' aid Dom hit 10 with his defense roll last turn so has 3 hold instead of 1. Thanks buddy!

Birds on one side, trees on the other. Odessa and Agerios both being dragged underground by roots. At least one of the harpies was dead. I swipe at the roots with my sword, intent of severing them and freeing my friends, then stand off against the nearest of the trees. "Come on then, wood, test my steel!"

---
Using 1 hold to halve the effect of the roots, in this case I'm hoping that frees one of the two trapped people?
Odessa, if it will help, you can have +1 forward vs. enemies out of my remaining Hold, just say so in your post.
Attempting a Hack n Slash on the closest tree: 2d6+ 1 = 5. Can we get some new dice? 10 for the pot.

mistaya
Oct 18, 2006

Cat of Wealth and Taste


Dom
HP: 30/32 Armor: 3 Souls: 0 LCK: 11/11 Beads: 5/5 Salts: 2/2
Ongoing: -1 INT/WIS/CHA


Yelling seems to be effective, let's try yelling. "Aaaaaah!" *slash, swing, thunk*

Hack and Slash vs. Trees, 2d6+1 = 8! Damage, 1d10 = 4.

mistaya fucked around with this message at Feb 13, 2016 around 15:39

mistaya
Oct 18, 2006

Cat of Wealth and Taste


Dom
HP: 23/32 Armor: 3 Souls: 0 LCK: 11/11 Beads: 5/5 Salts: 2/2
Ongoing: -1 INT/WIS/CHA


"Oof!!" I grunt as the trees collapse on top of me. One I could have handled but four was just too heavy, and I was driven to the ground with the wind knocked right out of me. From the ground my horizontal, and somewhat fuzzy, perspective helps me to realize something I hadn't noticed before. "Oh... These aren't trees..." Four fingers and a gnarled thumb, like a giant's hand that was only peeking through the earth... Yes, running away seemed like a VERY GOOD IDEA. If I could get up again.

Things are looking dire, when...

"Ahah! Reinforcements!" I yell. "Glad to see you could join us!"

Well then, Dominik, time to stop laying down on the job. Heave----hoooooo!

*crunch*

"Gwaaaa..."

Maybe... maybe I'll just take a nap... Yes, a nice nap. Everything is getting so dark...

Defy Danger STR to get out from under the trees: 2d6+1 = 4! TREES WIN.

mistaya
Oct 18, 2006

Cat of Wealth and Taste


Dom
HP: 9/32 Armor: 3 Souls: 0 LCK: 11/11 Beads: 5/5 Salts: 2/2
Ongoing: -1 INT/WIS/CHA


My vision clears as pain draws me back from the brink of unconsciousness just in time to see everyone fleeing without me. Wait! I want to yell, but all that comes out is a nasty wheeze. I... I should be happy that they're free, right? I should be.

I manage to get my arms under me and puuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuush with all the strength I have left, ignoring the biting clawing harpy. The dried wood groans, but I can feel it starting to give way at last.

Defy Danger STR, I just want to get out of here! 2d6+1 = 9!

mistaya
Oct 18, 2006

Cat of Wealth and Taste


Dom
HP: 25/32 Armor: 3 Souls: 0 LCK: 11/11 Beads: 4/5 Salts: 2/2
Ongoing: -1 INT/WIS/CHA


"Now, now, I'm alright," I say to Odessa, giving her a pat on the head. She runs off in the direction I can sense the second sword before I can do much besides straighten my tunic. A bit frustrated, I reach for my sinner's bracelet, and crush one bead between thumb and forefinger. A curl of ash rises from the inside, and the smell of it reminds me of the grand cathedrals from my home, where I felt safest. My wounds sting a bit less, all but the worst of them closing on their own. It itches, a bit.

I follow the others down the side-path towards the vista.

Does Dom still feel the sword is nearby?

mistaya
Oct 18, 2006

Cat of Wealth and Taste


Dom
HP: 25/32 Armor: 1 Souls: 0 LCK: 11/11 Beads: 4/5 Salts: 2/2
Ongoing: -1 INT/WIS/CHA


"I would like to find the spiral sword, horrible breathing notwithstanding," I say, after listening to all of this. "Consulting with the creator of the lightning device might be useful, but we don't have anything that 'smells' like him just yet, and the spiral swords seem to have strange powers of their own."

I am feeling rather naked, bereft of my armor a second time. Recreating it would be lovely but I haven't any of the white souls with which to craft it yet.

"Stand clear," I mutter, reaching for the edge of the door. This might not be the best idea but I didn't see anything to use as a lever, and I have to do something before Odessa runs off again. "Heave-ho!"

DD, STR, pulling open this door with manly strength! 2d6+1 = 7.

mistaya
Oct 18, 2006

Cat of Wealth and Taste


Dom
HP: 25/32 Armor: 3 Souls: 0 LCK: 11/11 Beads: 3/5 Salts: 1/2
Ongoing: -1 INT/WIS/CHA


I realize what a fool I've been while the rogue is trying to steal the sword, and take a whiff of my smelling salts. The pungent odor brings to mind the mud and blood of battle, and it is no difficulty at all to imagine my armor and then... bring it forth. It does hurt though, and requires a second of my beads to restore me to something resembling health.

By the time it's done however, things have started to happen. Agerios dashes ahead of me, yelling, and I don't quite manage to stay apace with him, before the snake-head on the creatures tail begins spitting at us.

I raise my shield and stomp down the tunnel ahead of the girls, trusting the steel to block at least some of it... If I have to lose it to get close enough to use my sword, well so be it. "Come on!"

Defy Danger CON: 2d6+2 = 10!

mistaya
Oct 18, 2006

Cat of Wealth and Taste


Dom
HP: 25/32 Armor: 3 Souls: 0 LCK: 11/11 Beads: 3/5 Salts: 1/2
Ongoing: -1 INT/WIS/CHA


Lava-spit still steaming on my shield, I take my sword in both hands and give a mighty chop at the base of the snake-tail, and add my battle cry to Agerios'! "YAAA!"

Hack and Slack: 2d6+1 = 10!
Damage roll: 1d10 = 10!

mistaya
Oct 18, 2006

Cat of Wealth and Taste


Dom
HP: 25/32 Armor: 3 Souls: 0 LCK: 11/11 Beads: 3/5 Salts: 1/2
Ongoing: -1 INT/WIS/CHA


I can't help staring in horror as the wriggling decapitated (de-tailed?) snake lunges at the girls. It was not my intent to make things worse! But it seems to have finally quit, and so I turn back to the bleeding beast.

Rattled, my next blow is not nearly as effective... Or perhaps I just forgot to yell loudly enough.

Hack and Slack: 2d6+1 = 5! Well, there goes my karma.

mistaya
Oct 18, 2006

Cat of Wealth and Taste


Dom
HP: 25/32 Armor: 3 Souls: 0 LCK: 11/11 Beads: 3/5 Salts: 1/2
Ongoing: -1 INT/WIS/CHA


"Handled?" I repeat, glaring at the beast. I know exactly how I want to handle it after it tore us all up so badly!

But as I raise my weapon, it cringes, no longer fighting. This is Agerios' world, so I do my best to listen to him.

"BEAST!" I yell, keeping my sword raised. "By my authority as a Knight, and as chosen witness to the end of days, you will come to HEEL, or I will strike you dead." With my shield-hand I point at the floor. "DOWN."

If, perhaps it is trained, then... Well, I have no idea what will happen next.

Using my move "I am the Law" to order an NPC to obey me. 2d6 = 7!
It can choose 1: *Do what you say, *Back away cautiously, then flee, *Attack you

mistaya
Oct 18, 2006

Cat of Wealth and Taste


Dom
HP: 32/32 Armor: 3 Souls: 0 LCK: 11/11 Beads: 5/5 Salts: 2/2
What a strange feeling, I think as my body returns to as it was when I first arrived here. Even the broken beads have reformed, as if... Well, I don't know what's done it but I can't help but be grateful.

"Good boy," I mutter, fetching the rope ladder and looking to see if there's something sturdy to affix it to. "Would someone light and nimble like to find out what that soul's got? Agerios and I can fetch you up post-haste if it looks dangerous."

mistaya
Oct 18, 2006

Cat of Wealth and Taste


Dom
HP: 32/32 Armor: 3 Souls: 0 LCK: 11/11 Beads: 5/5 Salts: 2/2

"The lightning mechanism has some solution to do with that poem that we do not know the answer to," I say, sighing. "I would much rather press on in a new direction until we know more. If we can find a piece that the harpies would accept to take us to the trap-maker, for instance, we would not have to risk a third death in one day." I give Odessa a meaningful look.

I turn to Agerios. "I'm for the well, myself, but this is your land, ser. I will follow your lead."

mistaya
Oct 18, 2006

Cat of Wealth and Taste


Dom
HP: 32/32 Armor: 3 Souls: 0 LCK: 11/11 Beads: 5/5 Salts: 2/2

"Odessa!" I shout as she climbs up onto the step. "Surely there is a better way! I refuse to be part of some macabre suicide pact." Even though she may dislike it, I pick her up off the stair and set her down on the ground beside me. "If backtracking is the course we've chosen then let's see it through. The harpies may have answers for us if we can find something to tempt them, right? Or perhaps there is something else in that direction, we saw a graveyard and a river at least, and both of those seem far better than risking this without the key."

I offer her my hand and start to walk back towards the grove, and those damnable trees. "I really would have rather risked the well," I say with a small sigh.

--

For clarity, Dom's heading back regardless of if anyone comes with him, he doesn't want anything to do with these drat stairs yet.

mistaya
Oct 18, 2006

Cat of Wealth and Taste


Dom
HP: 32/32 Armor: 3 Souls: 0 LCK: 11/11 Beads: 5/5 Salts: 2/2

Given we have more friends and how badly the last attempt to get through here went I think redoing this fight would be better than Backtracking it.

"I wonder if the trees and harpies are guardians for the steps, given that they only seem eager to harm us when we go in that direction..." I say out loud. "Of course these rancid insects are no such thing, but- as I recall if we upend one of the beetles, the flies will be too busy devouring it to chase us again. It was very heavy though, does anyone have an idea before we rush in and try to flip it by mean strength?"

slyding says I should Spout Lore on this so here goes: 2d6-1 = 11!

mistaya fucked around with this message at Mar 30, 2016 around 17:47

mistaya
Oct 18, 2006

Cat of Wealth and Taste


Dom
HP: 32/32 Armor: 3 Souls: 0 LCK: 11/11 Beads: 5/5 Salts: 2/2

Odessa helpfully flops, which is a little bit scary since it's how she died the last time, but it should attract the beetle's notice. I stand before her with my shield in both hands, planning to ram the beetle as it turns, hopefully knocking it over...

Defy Danger STR, 2d6+1 = 6. I need an adult assist!

It's just a bit too heavy for me to do alone! "Someone help with this!" I yell, bracing myself. Just a little farther!

mistaya fucked around with this message at Apr 5, 2016 around 00:07

mistaya
Oct 18, 2006

Cat of Wealth and Taste


Dom
HP: 28/32 Armor: 3 Souls: 0 LCK: 11/11 Beads: 5/5 Salts: 2/2

"Oh bother that," I growl as the flies turn off the first beetle. No insect was going to get the better of me, again! I scramble to my feet, flicking olives off my shield and raising my sword high. I bang it once on my shield, a bit of bravado to steel my nerves. "That's right you mindless beast, pick on someone your own size!" I aimed for the crease in the carapace, where the soft bits were hidden and swung overhanded!

H&S this here second beetle. 2d6+1 = 11! Damage roll: d10 = 6!

mistaya
Oct 18, 2006

Cat of Wealth and Taste


Dom
HP: 28/32 Armor: 3 Souls: 0 LCK: 11/11 Beads: 5/5 Salts: 2/2

There is very little I can do to help deal with the fire, which is spreading alarmingly fast. Not that I mind seeing those harpies get what's coming to them, again. But still...

"Beyond the sword then, there must be something we've missed."

---
not much of a post but uh yeah lets go that-way.

mistaya
Oct 18, 2006

Cat of Wealth and Taste


Dom
HP: 28/32 Armor: 3 Souls: 0 LCK: 11/11 Beads: 5/5 Salts: 2/2

The strange goat man seems very friendly! But I saw nothing of this place when we looked down on the gulch from the vista. And... I recall the madly dancing satyrs in Philkronos' death-vision. Crossing these folk would be unwise.

Quietly, I ask God for guidance. What we do now could put us all at great risk.

---

Using my Human skill to ask "What here is evil?"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mistaya
Oct 18, 2006

Cat of Wealth and Taste


Dom
HP: 28/32 Armor: 3 Souls: 0 LCK: 11/11 Beads: 5/5 Salts: 2/2

There is no doubt in my mind that this place is as rotten as the olives in the Gulch, but saying so in front of the Greeter is difficult. I try not to worry too much about Odessa when she takes the satyr's bait so quickly, and plan my own course of action instead.

"This place has a fair face and a foul heart," I whisper to Agerios. "If we are to get involved it should be to rid the pools of their erstwhile master, not to partake of the pleasures here."

I am not particularly pleased to find more people like us. Perhaps we are not as special, as Chosen, as I thought? No, I have stronger Faith than that. I trust in Him, who made all things, and now seeks to unmake them.

"Actually," I say to Sweep, "If Siberay knows the Harpy tongue I would very much like to meet him. We seek the inventor of the thunderous stairs, and it seems the Harpies are holding him above the clouds. If Siberay could assist us in this we would be able to proceed back the way we came without passing through your valley at all."

  • Locked thread