Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
  • Locked thread
Bacon In A Wok
Jan 27, 2014


Mikaela

HP: 20/20 Luck: 17/17 Armor: 0 (1 with equipment) Souls: 0 Verses: 5/5)

Mikaela has been strangely silent since the arrival in the Nexus, unwilling to meet even the sightless gaze of her hostess and prone to breaking out in short, sharp fits of uncontrollable trembling. The Vessel granted to her appeared as a slim book with a cover of grey leather, most of its pages blank but a few inscribed with letters of pure radiance - Mikaela glanced at the first written page barely long enough to take in a few words, then snapped it sharply shut and refused to look at it again.

As Odessa experiments in the Crypt, though, Mikaela is startled into speech. "That - those things you are shaping - it... can't be."

As soon as anyone inquires into Mikaela's outburst, she continues, "I have only heard, ever, of one thing that can shape itself in the way I see now - essentia, that which comes from the wellsprings placed by God to let life into the world. But it acts only by its own will, or the Divine, never anything else now bound to the cycle. To change it, even so narrowly... what are you, starspeaker?"

quote:

Thief lvl. 1
HP: 20
Base Damage: D8
Alignment: Chaotic - Leap into danger without a plan.

STR: 8 (-1)
DEX: 16 (+2)
CON: 12 (0)
INT: 13 (+1)
WIS: 9 (0)
CHA: 15 (+1)

Angel- When you Spout Lore or Discern Realities about religious matters, demons or devils take +1.

Trap Expert Angelic Grace -
When you spend a moment to survey a dangerous area, roll+DEX.

✴ On a 10+, hold 3.

✴ On a 7–9, hold 1. Spend your hold as you walk through the area to ask these questions:

Is there a trap here and if so, what activates it?
What does the trap do when activated?
What else is hidden here?

Tricks of the Trade Opening The True Path -

When you pick locks or pockets or disable traps, roll+DEX.

✴ On a 10+, you do it, no problem.

✴ On a 7–9, you still do it, but the GM will offer you two options between suspicion, danger, or cost.


Backstab Wrath of the Righteous -

When you attack a surprised or defenseless enemy in melee, you can choose to deal your damage or roll+DEX.

✴ On a 10+ choose two.

✴ On a 7–9 choose one.

You don’t get into melee with them
You deal your damage+1d6
You create an advantage, +1 forward to you or an ally acting on it
Reduce their armor by 1 until they repair it

Flexible Morals Beyond Mortal Judgement -

When someone tries to detect your alignment you can tell them any alignment or Covenant you like.

Poisoner Tender of the Divine Garden -

You’ve mastered the care and use of a poison. Choose a poison from the list below; that poison is no longer dangerous for you to use. You also start with three uses of the poison you choose. Whenever you have time to gather materials and a safe place to brew you can make three uses of the poison you choose for free. Note that some poisons are applied, meaning you have to carefully apply it to the target or something they eat or drink. Touch poisons just need to touch the target, they can even be used on the blade of a weapon.

* Bloodweed Peacemaker (touch): The target deals -1d4 damage ongoing until cured

Gear
Load is 9+STR. (8)
Book of Verses (5 uses, 1w)
Leather Armor (1arm, 1w)
Rapier (close, precise, 1w)
3 Throwing Daggers (thrown, near, 0w)
Healing Potion (1 use, 0w)

Bonds
Whether or not she admits it, Odessa speaks with the voice of God.
Dominik is open to the Faith, and needs only the proper example to find the path for himself.
A devil has marked Ageiros; I must be ready to act to prevent further damage to his soul.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bacon In A Wok
Jan 27, 2014


slydingdoor posted:

It seems that souls are absorbed by any touch, even with a kicking foot, and have no mass, and no inertia: it cannot be slid along the floor. However, you two are just able to reach a common spot such that you can exchange the shield.

The quarrels that hit the circle of bronze all embed themselves in it, puncturing all the way through but not in such a way as to injure anyone. Adding iron to bronze makes the shield even heavier: +1 weight, +clumsy. The rest of the quarrels crisscross, The upper row fires at a downward angle and the lower at an upward angle. They stick fast in the stone floor and ceiling, but the latter cracks from the impact. The gash travels in a jagged path from bolt to wall, and drops a clod of dirt near Agerios. It splashes in the blood, then an entire brick follows, sure to crush him. What do you do?

Mikaela
HP: 20/20 Luck: 17/17 Armor: 0 (1 with equipment) Souls: 0 Verses: 5/5)

Mikaela's eyes go wide with shock, and she takes the only action -- other than a futile dive at the larger man -- that could possibly do any good.

She sticks one hand in the nearest soul alcove, forcing her mind away from any kind of distracting memories it may conjure up, and thrusts the other in the direction of Agerios and the plummeting plinth. Whatever may take shape, she wants it not in her own hands, but hurtling swiftly towards the block to try and deflect it. Her aim and control may be far less than perfect, however...

Guess this is Defy Danger, with Int - 2d6+1 = 9

Bacon In A Wok
Jan 27, 2014


Deltasquid posted:

"Okay, everyone. Stick behind me for now. Dominik, ready when you are."

And with those words, I cautiously approach the dais, my hoplon raised and trusty spear at the ready for an overhand thrust. Let's see what this artifact looks like, eh?
Mikaela looks upwards for a brief, frustrated second, then firmly steps in front of Agerios. "Wait, please."

She then seems to stand motionless for a second, eyes shut tight but head shifting back and forth slightly as if carefully examining everything around the dais. At last she opens them again and smiles, slightly. "The grace of God can sometimes see what mortal eyes cannot."

Using Angelic Grace to survey the altar - 2d6+2=8. Will spend the hold as soon as possible to ask "Is there a trap here and if so, what activates it?" and pass the information on to everyone. I am not going to be able to check the thread as often as other players, so if feasible I am interested in allowing other players to declare that Mikaela has used Angelic Grace reflexively in situations where one of them is about to jump into a new unexplored area.

Bacon In A Wok
Jan 27, 2014


Mikaela
(HP: 20/20 Luck: 17/17 Armor: 0 (1 with equipment) Souls: 0 Verses: 5/5 Stirge 2/2)

slydingdoor posted:

Agerios, as you approach the dais, its artifact takes a unique form in the same manner as the one at the top of the Nexus. But this one's nature is far more sinister than its sibling: rather than give life, this one extracts it from its user as a price for granting them greater power. Truth be told, it reminds you all of the Mist itself: it tempts you and exhorts you to sacrifice your petty worldly concerns and to fulfill your destiny.

Just as the Souls glow brighter and sprout a tail that seeks out your hands, this item seeks you out to be absorbed, leaving the dais and chasing you if it has to. What form does each of yours take? What do you think of it?
Mikaela's artifact is a living(?) thing - a repulsive fusion of enormous mosquito and skeletally-thin bird, which darts towards her on faintly buzzing gossamer wings. She makes a halfhearted attempt to slap it away, but it lazily dodges her backhand, perches on her left shoulder and begins to croon atonally into her ear, and she cannot find the will to swat it away. Soon after, it apparently finds some fold within her attire and burrows out of sight.

quote:

You link the light coming from above the bloodstain Agerios checked to that of the dais. Considering how it punched through the crack in the ceiling, it seemed as though it had mass. Furthermore, you notice that the more spell recovery items that are absorbed by your fellows, the more the cold, pale light seems to flow elsewhere than the vessels. It starts to look unsustainable by the dais, which cracks under the strain. You think that when the last spell recovery item finds its mark, the dais might break like a drat, and overflow with the "hard" light that seems to want to crush the Crypt Below. What do you do?

Mikaela looks at the others, gesturing for them to come closer. "This place does not want us to tarry -- it means to collapse beneath us. I think the only way to safety is up. I judge Odessa to be the lightest among us - can the rest of us boost her higher, so she can secure some rope or ballast to aid our ascent?"

Bacon In A Wok
Jan 27, 2014


Mikaela
HP: 20/20 Luck: 17/17 Armor: 0 (1 with equipment) Souls: 0 Verses: 5/5 Stirge 2/2)

StringOfLetters posted:

To Ser Dominik, I mentioned, "Our belongings, I think, were tied to our bodies. We arrived as spirits. Bringing them here couldn't have been easy... if I didn't mention it, I drowned in the open ocean. As for our purpose in being here, there's nothing I'd like to know more." I paused, and added, "But I suppose that's always been the case."
"My body should have been assumed into the Heavens, once given the least moment of attention by God. The notion that my flesh might have been hidden away here for so long says something most unsettling, about either our whereabouts or our hosts. Or else --" and Mikaela breaks off abruptly with a sudden gritting of teeth, and refuses to say anything more.

quote:

And I'll run off to the spiral-sword's twin on the ceiling, trailing a rope. If we arrived there, maybe we can propel ourselves back through some similar mystical shenanigans. Whatever spirits guided us to seize the vessels, hopefully, won't leave us hanging on that account. If I reach the spiral-sword, and no urges come to mind, and poking at it or tugging it doesn't do anything, I will resort to prayer.
Mikaela seems at a loss for how to proceed, but snatches up the other end of the rope and digs in her heels. With any luck, the only use for her grip will be to pull herself towards Odessa once whatever power within the sword has been unleashed. If things go poorly -- and truth be told, she's basically resigned to things going poorly at this point -- she intends to pull Odessa away from whatever might try to impale or melt or smother or eat her.

Bacon In A Wok
Jan 27, 2014


Mikaela
HP: 20/20 Luck: 17/17 Armor: 1 Souls: 0 Verses: 5/5 Stirge 2/2)

Mikaela pays the Pessimist only the barest minimum of attention, after taking a moment to size him up. All may have the chance to follow God, but those who blatantly scorn to do so need not be coddled. The notion of rendering down the spiritstuff-gear she is carrying into some other rawer form is not even worth a dismissal, at the moment.

StringOfLetters posted:

"If I might make a suggestion, I'm intensely curious to see Lady Mikaela's homeland. Above else, I want answers about why any of this has happened. Being closest to the heavens, I imagine we may find some sort of insight there."
Mikaela bites her lip. "If all of you wish to travel to the lands I was summoned to and fought within, I... will not oppose. But I fear it is less than Odessa might hope for, even if it remains unchanged by whatever time has passed. Some of the Faithful dwell -- or dwelt -- there, but many less righteous, as well. Many holy places had been claimed by the barbaric, or ignorant, or those who claimed the prophets to be hollow and false."

"For myself, I would prefer to see the city of ibn Agerios, to begin with. Faith of any kind is perhaps unlikely to offer satisfactory answers to where we find ourselves and what has been done to us. A city that is ruled by philosophers might be a better place to start."

Bacon In A Wok
Jan 27, 2014


Mikaela
HP: 20/20 Luck: 17/17 Armor: 1 Souls: 0 Verses: 5/5 Stirge 2/2

StringOfLetters posted:

I make a gagging sound. Ick. I turn to Agerios to say something sarcastic about the smells of home, but when I see the look on his face, I feel like a prick and realize that this is certainly not how he remembers it. I frown, with a horrified curl on my upper lip, and say, "Gods... is this what the mist leaves in its wake?"

"I doubt that any mere... mist... could do something this completely vile simply out of pure nature. Corruption is the work of the denier and the deceiver, not something that simply comes about for no purpose. Find whichever monstrosity wanted this place to be this way, and we will find a way to undo it. Or, at the least, claim vengeance."

Mikaela is inclined to strike out towards the temple, but stays at Agerios's side for now, willing to follow the warrior's lead and aid him in whatever way she is able.

Bacon In A Wok
Jan 27, 2014


Mikaela
HP: 20/20 Luck: 17/17 Armor: 1 Souls: 0 Verses: 5/5 Stirge 2/2

Mikaela mutters something decidedly unangelic as the beetle plows its way towards her comrades, and sprints towards a rise near the side of the path. As she rushes up it, though, she abruptly kicks into a reverse-flip, shackled wings fluttering in sympathy, and attempts to leap onto the beetle's carapace. Even as her feet twist towards a stable purchase she's manifesting a rapier in her hand, looking ahead to gaps in the chitin where she can strike, to at least distract if not hopefully kill.

Defy Danger, 2d6+2 = 8

Bacon In A Wok
Jan 27, 2014


Mikaela
HP: 20/20 Luck: 17/17 Armor: 1 Souls: 0 Verses: 5/5 Stirge 2/2

Mikaela winces as the other beetle bears down on Dom, but decides that another attempt to get in close is only likely to give the creature more victims. Instead, she tries to look for some sort of high ground further on to catch sight of what might be inside the temple, or else attracted to the fracas from elsewhere in the wilderness. She demanifests the damaged rapier as she goes, and instead switches to a throwing knife that might be used to either distract another well-armored adversary or seriously discomfit something lighter and more nimble.

Bacon In A Wok
Jan 27, 2014


Mikaela
HP: 20/20 Luck: 17/17 Armor: 0 (1 with equipment) Souls: 0 Verses: 5/5)

slydingdoor posted:

Mikaela, you sprint ahead and find what lies in store: birds with human faces and voices circle you in the skies like buzzards, and leafless trees with branches that slowly lean and reach for you when you near them flank replace the thin, soot and tumor covered trees from before. You near the Temple, can see it through the leafless trees, but they cross their branches right in your path like the polearms of palace guards.
Mikaela moves forward slowly, not even realizing she's vanished from the sight of the clash going on further back along the path. These guardians might simply be reacting to a stranger's presence, and due to pull back as soon as Agerios arrives... but they might not, either, and Mikaela has no desire to stay in this land any longer than she absolutely must. She stops just outside of branch-arm's reach, and focuses her mind on trying to identify some path past the trees and into the Temple.

Discern Realities - roll on IRC was 2d6=11. The question Mikaela wants answered, since she hasn't read the DW rulebook, is 'How do we get past the trees?'. Not sure which if any of the questions on the standard list best translates, let me know if I need to ask a different question altogether.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bacon In A Wok
Jan 27, 2014


Mikaela
HP: 20/20 Luck: 17/17 Armor: 1 Souls: 0 Verses: 5/5 Stirge: 2/2)

slydingdoor posted:

The trees are either mobile and leafless, or covered in soot and tumors, which are likely highly poisonous. A way to spread the disease to the trees that reach would be useful in getting past them, and valuable if you desired to do so quickly and without taking too many losses.

The harpies seem not to be circling far beyond the trees, they probably mean to eat the scraps after the branches would tear you apart. They also are clucking to one another and laughing at you, as if they have a plan to expedite your end. You should be on the lookout for an attack from the skies even through the canopy.

That means the trees must let the harpies pass through their branches, in fact, you see some fat ones even nesting in one tree. Their relationship is clearly symbiotic, but the harpy likely gets the better end of the deal: picking the trees clean of meat is hardly an imposition. The harpies are the ones really in control. Agerios likely has no such pact with either of them.

The harpies above are circling lower, and some smaller ones are darting through the branches to watch you closer. As the circling turns into swooping, you see just how large those adult harpies are: greater than the largest condor. Their talons could easily fit around a person's torso. The leafless trees seem to realiez that you are staying out of reach, so their branches instead move aside, leaving you completely exposed to a dive from above. What do you do?
Soul Bank: 100
Festering wood-tumors are one thing, and not the sort of weapon Mikaela is inclined to use unless needs must, even if she had some way to do so. The Peacemaker essence kept carefully corked in several small vials at her belt is something else, and God willing will serve much the same purpose. She deftly spreads some onto her knife, raises the blade, darts forward -

aaaaand because Mikaela's been proactive enough, that's as far as I get before the arrival of the others, or outside events, start messing everything up.

  • Locked thread