Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
EagerSleeper
Feb 3, 2010

by R. Guyovich
I think the protagonist voice is okay, and it will probably help out with trying to keep things straight in a game series where I imagine things can get quite confusing later. :)

Also, a karma arm being worth losing a real arm? Our dear diary writer seems to be the interesting one indeed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EagerSleeper
Feb 3, 2010

by R. Guyovich
The submachine has a defense system? Oh, this I have to see...

My theory so far about what's going on is that our character has a karma arm too, just like Murtaugh. That's why they can do things that no one else can do, or reach into places that other explorers probably would have if they could. Simple theory is theory. :v:

EagerSleeper
Feb 3, 2010

by R. Guyovich

I feel so bad for the random people those dots that are far away from everyone else represent. It's already pretty alienating being in the submachine net, buy dying so far away and isolated in an inhuman place seems pretty nightmarish.

Glad this LP is back!

EagerSleeper
Feb 3, 2010

by R. Guyovich

Tombot posted:

Just what is a submachine anyway? I've been reading through and I'm still not sure why anybody would make a machine like this.

I don't think it was created by humans. I'm not sure if alternate universes are at play, but if there's a thing about a karma arm opening up doors to different places, then maybe a Submachine is something that's keeping track of all the different realities, and cataloging them for... stuff?

Another theory is whether there's even a 'real world' for us to return to. Maybe submachines are what's real, while we're actually kinda in a Matrix movie sort of situation that we just woke up from.

Just tossing stuff at the wall, and seeing what sticks.

EagerSleeper
Feb 3, 2010

by R. Guyovich
So according to the notes in this updates, the outer rim was created by humans in the early 20th century/1900s, which we've seen an example of as being the pipes-and-bricks section from the earlier games. And apparently that section gained sentience and abandoned humans. And apparently humanity in the 20th century had a fourth dynasty? What the hell is up with this universe? Is there even a "surface world" that's outside of these submachines to look forward to, or has humanity been constantly adrift in this strange, uncaring place?

EagerSleeper
Feb 3, 2010

by R. Guyovich
I am pumped for the next episode.

EagerSleeper
Feb 3, 2010

by R. Guyovich
I think that it only takes a couple of electrodes on your head to zap you to another dimension is cool and subtlety chilling. Being to interact with other worlds is as simple as changing your perspective.

Good old urban exploring. Lol at the fact that the navigator is literally the photo from the urbex livejournal, but it does seem to give some insight into the submachine series creator's aesthetics. I myself have always thought that old, abandoned, and decrepit industrial zones would make a great set piece for a game.

EagerSleeper
Feb 3, 2010

by R. Guyovich
I hope Liz is still alive... :ohdear:

Thank you for the dimension hopping story recommendations! I have one of my own called "The City, and the City" by China Mieville. In that story, there are two cities occupying the same space, but its citizens are trained from birth to subconsciously block out the residents and architecture of the other city. People from both cities could be walking right next to each other, and not even know it. However, there's rumors of a fabled third city unknown to everyone that could change the way the city is thought to work.

EagerSleeper fucked around with this message at 10:32 on Nov 28, 2016

EagerSleeper
Feb 3, 2010

by R. Guyovich
A couple questions I'd like to ask Mateusz:

Is there a conventional Earth like the one that we know, or has humanity in the Submachine series been living adrift in these strange, floating worlds of the submachines forever?

Did you ever sketch official character art for some of the characters like Mur and Elizabeth?

Did the submachines exist before humans? If so, then were the submachines ever meant for a different non-human civilization?

EagerSleeper
Feb 3, 2010

by R. Guyovich
This is why I'm grateful to Carbon Dioxide for lp'ing this game, because I'm terrible at puzzle games.

EagerSleeper
Feb 3, 2010

by R. Guyovich
Yeah, it seems to me that the Submachine net having its own intelligence was obvious a while back. When we had reached the core of the net, there were turrets set up to shoot any 'invaders' (humans) that tried to pass, so whatever the submachine net is, it's not being ran by humans, so an AI is responsible. My question is whether it was always like that however. Is this world just a world first created by an AI, and humans happen to be living in it?

Also the implication that what could be seen in the sky and a microscope being recursively linked/looped together is kinda horrifying. I don't think I want to live in the Submachine Series... :gonk:

EagerSleeper
Feb 3, 2010

by R. Guyovich
I asked a ton of questions before, but here's another one: what are some things that most people don't know about your game series or haven't noticed yet? Any plot details or design decisions would be cool to know.

EagerSleeper
Feb 3, 2010

by R. Guyovich
Question for Mateusz: Why is Murtaugh so mean? Living people to die doesn't seem like a very nice thing to do.

Also, who are the people who worshipped Murtaugh and placed him in a sarcophagus? Is Liz pissed about being buried next to him?

EagerSleeper fucked around with this message at 09:31 on Apr 23, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EagerSleeper
Feb 3, 2010

by R. Guyovich

Antivehicular posted:

I might be wrong about this, but I think what's going on is that the viewpoint character is traveling through time as well as space, so the locations we're visiting and the stories we can piece together are happening over a fairly large amount of time. Here's what I think the timeline with Murtaugh is:

1) Murtaugh goes camping near a waterfall and undergoes some kind of weird event (contact with the Submachine?) that causes him to lose an arm and become aware of a "karma arm" that lets him open portals. He immediately starts screwing around with this and opening portals around and through the Submachine, starting to damage the structure of reality. He moves into the Kent Lighthouse and presumably starts building the lighthouse digouts Submachine connection
2) At some point, Murtaugh slips into the eighth layer of reality, where he can't meaningfully perceive other human beings -- this is where he becomes full rear end in a top hat Murtaugh. Elizabeth is, for some reason, the exception to this; he can perceive her normally, so she remains fully human in his eyes.
3) The karma portals get destructive enough that people notice and blame Murtaugh and attempt to kill/punish him by burying the lighthouse. Mur escapes (which is, uh, not a surprise from a guy who can make portals) and goes on the run, getting involved with/possibly founding(?) the Lab in the process to help his exploration. Since he's still trapped on the eighth layer of reality, he's happy to use explorers as disposable tools to gain knowledge.
4) The protagonist shows up, alerts Mur to their existence via pinging the lab, and is rescued from the Loop by Mur to be recruited. Protagonist does Mur's bidding and is left to die, and Mur heads to the Core to seek revenge on those who tried to bury him alive (possibly Liz?).
5) Whatever happens at the Core, Liz or another power finally gets Murtaugh unstuck from the eighth layer, which returns him to perspective and makes him stop being an rear end in a top hat. Ashamed and repentant, he works with Liz to try and repair reality. Presumably they gain acolytes through this process and may also start time-traveling themselves?
6) Decades pass as Liz and Mur work on this, apparently successfully, and presumably their friendship recovers in the process. When they die (of old age?), they're entombed by their acolytes in the Temple.

The protagonist is jumping all around this timeline, and it's possible that Mur and Liz are navigating it too, so who knows at this point. The salient point: Mur's karma powers screwed up his brain, our limited direct interactions with him were during this brain-hosed rear end in a top hat period, but we've seen plenty of evidence that this will eventually get straightened out.

No word on where Einstein got to, though.

kvx687 posted:

I think there might be some self-fulfilling prophecy type time travel happening as well; as Carbon Dioxide noted the lighthouse burial doesn't seem to make sense timeline-wise, since it apparently happens in revenge for Murtaugh loving up the timeline but it happens before he really gets started with his large-scale experiments. It's possible someone else, probably SHIVA, is messing with the timeline for some purpose that hasn't been explained yet.

Thank you for answers! I have a hard time following this game's plot at times, and I'm glad to have a better understanding of what's happening in this very interesting game. That's why I'm also hoping that Shoeless' questions will also get answered, so that way the plot can be answered.

Carbon dioxide posted:

Okay, so I have no idea if these were meant as questions for the thread or for Mateusz. So a request for everyone:

Yeah, it was a question to Mateusz, and I have edited the post now.

Question for Mateusz: What is up with Einstein the cat? Also what do you think the scariest detail you have put in your game is? For me, it is the part about how submachine can loop itself 'vertically'.

• Locked thread