Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Did you choose Bulbasaur, Charmander or Squirtle
I chose you, Bulbasaur
I chose you, Charmander
I chose you, Squirtle
View Results

• Locked thread
Mr. Creakle
Apr 27, 2007

Protecting your virginity

soscannonballs posted:

Gyarados was poo poo in Gen 1 because most of the good moves he could learn scaled off his terrible SpA stat instead of his attack, he had a 4x weakness to Electric, and was slow. Starmie, Slowbro, and in some cases Vaporeon were the good water types.

Well yeah but ingame you could have a Tentacool spamming Surf beat the Elite 4, it's not like the game was hard unless you went into Smogon-style tryhard competitive battling

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fuck da Mods
Jun 27, 2013

fina get poz'd? :cabot: :gizz: :baby:
i choose Doland Truamp

Bloodfart McCoy
Jul 20, 2007

That's a high quality avatar right there.
My cousin is twelve and he asked for a Pokemon video game for Christmas. After he opened it, I told him this was the last year I was buying him any Pokemon stuff.

Jukeboxblues
Jul 29, 2015

Grimey Drawer

social vegan posted:

my elite 4 team:

Tittymack
Henry Jerkins
Godsmack
lapras
Angry hut man
sad worm

Thats a p strong team, got all ur bases covered.

Top Bunk Wanker
Jan 31, 2005

Top Trump Anger
I had a Geodude named Rqcky because I could not see the difference between o and q on my Game Boy screen until it was too late.

Rahonavis
Jan 11, 2012

"Clevuh gurrrl..."

Hector Beerlioz posted:

When you were a kid did you choose Bulbasaur, Charmander or Squirtle? Please explain you reasoning.
Did you choose the Dome or Helix fossil in Mt. Moon?
Which Pokémon did you evolve Eevee into?
Did you choose Hitmonchan or Hitmonlee at the Fighting Dojo?
Did you enjoy the Space Shuttle Columbia exhibit at the Pewter City Museum?

1) Bulbasaur, cause he's the cutest.
2) Helix, because Omanite is cuter than Kabuto.
3) Vaporeon, cause she's the prettiest.
4) Hitmonchan because elemental punches.
5) Yeah, it made me emotional.

Hector Beerlioz
Jun 16, 2010

aw, hec

Top Bunk Wanker posted:

I had a Geodude named Rqcky because I could not see the difference between o and q on my Game Boy screen until it was too late.

Please be more careful in the future

Hometown Slime Queen
Oct 26, 2004

the GOAT
Oh here is a retarded story for you guys:

Okay several years ago I found my old toaster gameboy and it still had the Blue cartridge in it, so I loaded it up and took a spin around the Pokeworld and I was looking through my boxes of caught pokemons... and I came upon what was apparently a loving ingenious plan to a much younger me about battle strategies. I found out that I had an entire box in the Pokecomputer that was full up with like ten rattattas and one ninetails, and all of them were named Cooby. And I was confused as heck about what all these Coobys were possibly for. Then I very very vaguely remembered this weird plan I had as a kid where I was like, going to fake out all my competitors at school with all these weak rattatta Coobys and they would be lulled into a false sense of security by the Coobys, but then I was going to pull out this high level ninetails who was ALSO named Cooby and was going to totally own them because they were going to be so surprised by the one chosen Cooby.

:confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused:

Hector Beerlioz
Jun 16, 2010

aw, hec
The Cooby maneuver is textbook strategy

Jukeboxblues
Jul 29, 2015

Grimey Drawer

QUEEN CAUCUS posted:

Oh here is a retarded story for you guys:

Okay several years ago I found my old toaster gameboy and it still had the Blue cartridge in it, so I loaded it up and took a spin around the Pokeworld and I was looking through my boxes of caught pokemons... and I came upon what was apparently a loving ingenious plan to a much younger me about battle strategies. I found out that I had an entire box in the Pokecomputer that was full up with like ten rattattas and one ninetails, and all of them were named Cooby. And I was confused as heck about what all these Coobys were possibly for. Then I very very vaguely remembered this weird plan I had as a kid where I was like, going to fake out all my competitors at school with all these weak rattatta Coobys and they would be lulled into a false sense of security by the Coobys, but then I was going to pull out this high level ninetails who was ALSO named Cooby and was going to totally own them because they were going to be so surprised by the one chosen Cooby.

:confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused:

You're killing me over here

glowstick party tonight
Oct 4, 2003

by zen death robot

Jukeboxblues posted:

lol if you play on easy mode and try to say its smarter just lol

valid point pokemon is way more fun to play when you use all the cool ones who are dumb and weak

Edmund Sparkler
Jul 4, 2003
For twelve years, you have been asking: Who is John Galt? This is John Galt speaking. I am the man who loves his life. I am the man who does not sacrifice his love or his values. I am the man who has deprived you of victims and thus has destroyed your world, and if you wish to know why you are peris

TacticalUrbanHomo posted:

lol if you don't use the fastball from azalea town to catch an abra in the first area

lol if you had to use a special ball to catch an abra

it only takes like 3 tries at most with regular balls to catch one.

Edmund Sparkler
Jul 4, 2003
For twelve years, you have been asking: Who is John Galt? This is John Galt speaking. I am the man who loves his life. I am the man who does not sacrifice his love or his values. I am the man who has deprived you of victims and thus has destroyed your world, and if you wish to know why you are peris

Hector Beerlioz posted:

The Cooby maneuver is textbook strategy

Cooby Yashi Maru

Hector Beerlioz
Jun 16, 2010

aw, hec

FIRST TIME posted:

Cooby Yashi Maru

Ha!

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib
•RIP Cooby ⚰⚰⚰⚰⚰⚰⚰⚰⚰⚰⚰⚰⚰⚰⚰⚰⚰⚰⚰⚰⚰⚰

Hector Beerlioz
Jun 16, 2010

aw, hec
Cooby's Poké House

Edmund Sparkler
Jul 4, 2003

Hector Beerlioz posted:

Cooby's Poké House

Frynais

Piled high

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
Are we fighting about the best overall Pokemon now? Because it's Gengar.

Ol' Babadookin' Gengar.

Hector Beerlioz
Jun 16, 2010

aw, hec

Das Boo posted:

Are we fighting about the best overall Pokemon now? Because it's Gengar.

Ol' Babadookin' Gengar.

Funny way to spell Electrabuzz

Edmund Sparkler
Jul 4, 2003

Pokemon that you have to trade to evolve are bitchmade.

Mr. McGibblets
Sep 17, 2015

by Deplorable exmarx
I remember my "best friend' convinced me to trade my holographic Blastoise card for a 1st edition Machamp. Then I got home and realized most Machamp cards are first edition and I got royally hosed. We are no longer friends to this day.

Also:

Water puts out fire
Fire burns leaves
Grass Pokemon suck

Blastoise for life.

Hector Beerlioz
Jun 16, 2010

aw, hec

Mr. McGibblets posted:

I remember my "best friend' convinced me to trade my holographic Blastoise card for a 1st edition Machamp. Then I got home and realized most Machamp cards are first edition and I got royally hosed. We are no longer friends to this day.

Also:

Water puts out fire
Fire burns leaves
Grass Pokemon suck

Blastoise for life.

Looks like he made you a Machump

glowstick party tonight
Oct 4, 2003

by zen death robot

Hector Beerlioz posted:

Funny way to spell Electrabuzz

You mean like... Electrabuzz?

Mr. McGibblets
Sep 17, 2015

by Deplorable exmarx

Hector Beerlioz posted:

Looks like he made you a Machump

I'm not the one that watches anime to this day so I would say in the end I won.

Hector Beerlioz
Jun 16, 2010

aw, hec

Mr. McGibblets posted:

I'm not the one that watches anime to this day so I would say in the end I won.

Fair point

Chrs
Sep 21, 2015

Bulbasaur
Dome
Flareon
Hitmonchan
Yes

Edmund Sparkler
Jul 4, 2003

The stupidest poo poo in those games is the whole HM thing. Like that's cool that they let you gradually let you unlock the map with moves you had to get in certain ways but making them moves that you had to teach your Pokemon and then they could never be forgotten was mindbogglingly dumb.

Yeah, sure I want to drag an otherwise useless Pokemon around just so I can cut down a stupid tree or see in a cave.

extra stout
Feb 24, 2005

ISILDUR's ERR

FIRST TIME posted:

The stupidest poo poo in those games is the whole HM thing. Like that's cool that they let you gradually let you unlock the map with moves you had to get in certain ways but making them moves that you had to teach your Pokemon and then they could never be forgotten was mindbogglingly dumb.

Yeah, sure I want to drag an otherwise useless Pokemon around just so I can cut down a stupid tree or see in a cave.

it's definitely a dumb concept because most of the HMs have no place in battles so you are mostly wasting a pokemon, but the reason i'm fine with it is is because if you're not bad you still beat every pokemon game ever with 5, because it is literally for kids

ChairmanMeow
Mar 1, 2008

Fire up the grill everyone eats tonight!
Lipstick Apathy
surf was pretty great, and you could use fly a lot but yeah

social vegan
Nov 7, 2014

sometimes i wake up n just feel like a muk on cinnabar island this guy knows wht i'm talking about here's ur sign

Mooktastical
Jan 8, 2008

soscannonballs posted:

Gyarados was poo poo in Gen 1 because most of the good moves he could learn scaled off his terrible SpA stat instead of his attack, he had a 4x weakness to Electric, and was slow. Starmie, Slowbro, and in some cases Vaporeon were the good water types.

You forgot Lapras.

Mooktastical
Jan 8, 2008
Charmander
Helix/Omanyte
Hitmonlee
No

Charmander
Pikachu
Jigglypuff
Abra
Dugtrio

There's the lineup for the whole game. Once you get Kadabra, trade him to evolve him, and teach him Thunder Punch and Ice Punch. From there, and after Dugtrio owns Lt. Surge, give him literally all the experience and he'll one shot everything in the game. Kids games don't stand up to even the most basic meta-gaming.

Fuck da Mods
Jun 27, 2013

Mooktastical posted:

Charmander
Helix/Omanyte
Hitmonlee
No

Charmander
Pikachu
Jigglypuff
Abra
Dugtrio

There's the lineup for the whole game. Once you get Kadabra, trade him to evolve him, and teach him Thunder Punch and Ice Punch. From there, and after Dugtrio owns Lt. Surge, give him literally all the experience and he'll one shot everything in the game. Kids games don't stand up to even the most basic meta-gaming.

you sound cool

Fuck da Mods
Jun 27, 2013

FIRST TIME posted:

HM01 for life breh

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

i think my line-up for FireRed was:

Blastoise
Fearow
Zapdos
Flareon
Kadabra
Nidoqueen

god it's been 10 years since i last touched that game but i still have pretty vivid memories.

a whole buncha crows
May 8, 2003

WHEN WE DON'T KNOW WHO TO HATE, WE HATE OURSELVES.-SA USER NATION (AKA ME!)
Squirtle squad obviously and then farm up a beedrill cos they look cool as gently caress

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
i tried playing a pokemon game. then i stopped because it was very boring. i figure that unless you first play one as a kid none of it is very engaging.

Fuck da Mods
Jun 27, 2013

i caught a pikachu at that early level forest with all the metopodes

Mooktastical
Jan 8, 2008

If by cool you mean autistic, you're right.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib
The only thing that matters is almost all the strengths and weaknesses are intuitive so when newer games or whatever try to pull some dumb poo poo like ice is actually strong against fire they can get hosed

• Locked thread