Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
OldTennisCourt
Sep 11, 2011

by VideoGames
This thread is meant as a place to nominate and discuss the worst matches of all time. To start, I’d like to say that we should try and keep away from things like the Briscoe/Patterson Evening Gown match, by that I mean the weird comedy matches that are more of a skit than an actual match. I know this rule is sort of murky as there are tons of matches that skirt that line, but I guess I’m just trying to stop posts about that Trump and Rosie comedy match.

Also if possible make a good and clear point as to why the match is bad. Was it the in ring performance? Was it something to do with backstage meddling? I’m pretty ignorant on the major history of wrestling in general so it’d be interesting to see points on matches that are more than just terrible in ring work.

To start with

Brock Lesnar Vs. Goldberg (Wrestlemania XX)

This one had problems working against it from the start. Both Goldberg and Lesnar were leaving the company after the match, something the crowd knew and already had in their minds prior to the match even starting. The guest ref was Stone Cold, really he’s the only highlight of the match aside from the crowd itself.

Both men really do nothing for huge portions of time, staring each other down and simply just walking around. Then we get a long rear end lock up and we get the start of the crowd reactions. They loving can’t stand this thing. NOTHING. loving. HAPPENS. It’s honestly stunning, JR and King try their damndest to try and think up things to talk about but they have nothing. It’s lock up and lock up with the crowd booing it constantly, to the point that the announce team has to even acknowledge it.

We get a nice variety of chants from the crowd until we finally get a lame finish with a jackhammer but the crowd does not give half of a gently caress about it. This is one of the weirdest matches I’ve ever watched. Two massive dudes in a match that the crowd literally could not care less about. It ends with an amazing pan over a crowd who have no reaction aside from one dude giving a thumbs down.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

Here you go mate

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JLUAmC7-czI

DarkstarIV
Apr 6, 2010

OFFICIAL RACIST
Can't forget Sting vs Jeff Hardy at Victory Road 2011.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E5AWX8uapKo

Or these "classics"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_3pjjqhgUt8

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

This was the match that caused Bryan to say the famous line iirc:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KwHTcBdwvVU

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

The only clip I can find of this match is this 9 minute segment (the match went to a 30 minute draw), but apparently it was extremely disappointing, considering the competitors. People were expecting a fast paced, high flying match, but instead got a lot of wear down holds.

The only ever match between The British Bulldogs and The Rock-n-Roll Express:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rHrmG4PMGjw

werty420
Mar 20, 2007
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5nNduF5fijI

An all time classic.

OldTennisCourt
Sep 11, 2011

by VideoGames

It's always great when JR just straight up calls a match poo poo.

Ostentatious
Sep 29, 2010

I love all of these matches actually

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Mad Man Pondo vs. Super Ninja (Abrams UWF - 1991)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MLR1-lkaJYI

So bad that the entire commentary team starts making GBS threads on it

yep
Dec 29, 2012
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Corfl44XvnI

James Storm vs. Chris Harris in a blindfold match at TNA Lockdown 2007.
Blindfold matches in general are awful but unique to this match is that they can't even keep the blindfolds on their heads for any length of time.
There was also an electrified cage match on that PPV where they switched the lights in the room on and off repeatedly anytime someone ran into the cage. Can't find video of it in not-poo poo quality, though.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
The Stro vs Ricky Shane from NWA Mountain State Wrestling Episode 268

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CDOAiHahCHo

Watch the intro and skip to 37 minutes or so if you must. Just a legendary match.

Volcano Style
May 2, 2006

THERE IS ONLY ONE
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9LUMuX8MIkk

The Big 'Un in Wigan.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

I was shocked when I played this on PSP-tv a few months ago and no one recognized it.

delfin
Dec 5, 2003

SNATTER'S ALIVE?!?!
Start with Bobby Eaton, Steve Austin and Terry Taylor. Not bad, right?

Now team Eaton with frighteningly talentless fat gently caress rapper P. N. News. Still capable of being worked around.

Now put them in a scaffold match, thirty feet up in the air, which for some reason is a 'capture the flag' scaffold match.

Now have some genius make the scaffold so narrow that they can't even pass each other safely, even if one of them wasn't a spandexed rhino.

I give you Great American Bash '91's opener, and the show barely got better from there. An utter failure of design.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lkwx_O7PRBQ

CityMidnightJunky
May 11, 2013

by Smythe
Undertaker and Kane wrestled Kronic back when the Invasion was still going on. I haven't seen it in over 10 years, but it was apparantly utter dogshit to the extent that I can still remember it now. I distinctly recall two things. First, one of Kronic taking the worst whip into the outside ring post I've ever loving seen, by slowly walking toward it and headbutting the air half a metre away from the post. And two, the Undertaker breaking character halfway through and throwing a huge tantrum, including audibly swearing, because of how poo poo Kronic were.

Kronic were never seen again.

Psychlone
Sep 3, 2004

It's never straight up and down!
The first Uncensored card is all around horrible, but I'd like to nominate the match with Dustin Rhodes and the Blacktop Bully in the back of a moving semi truck. First, the truck was constantly moving them around, so doing moves other than a punch or throwing your opponent into a bale of hay was pretty much impossible. The match didn't end with a ref calling a pinfall, but with a wrestler ringing a bell at the front of the truck. Lastly, the match was clearly pre-taped and put together from times at different parts of the day, making it look like an Ed Wood film when the match goes from a well lit road, to dusk falling, then back to a lit road in the middle of the day.

Jenny Angel
Oct 24, 2010

Out of Control
Hard to Regulate
Anything Goes!
Lipstick Apathy

MassRafTer posted:

The Stro vs Ricky Shane from NWA Mountain State Wrestling Episode 268

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CDOAiHahCHo

Watch the intro and skip to 37 minutes or so if you must. Just a legendary match.

Weren't a bunch of goons live watching this a few years ago and insisting it was really good? Is this an uncharacteristically bad match, or was it like an ironic thing

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Jenny Angel posted:

Weren't a bunch of goons live watching this a few years ago and insisting it was really good? Is this an uncharacteristically bad match, or was it like an ironic thing

That was my doing and I never claimed NWA MSW was anything but what it was although they had a good match or two here and there. I exist to make people watch bad things.

HOTLANTA MAN
Jul 4, 2010

by Hand Knit
Lipstick Apathy
It's still Jenna/Sharmell

purkey
Dec 5, 2003

I hate the 90s

HOTLANTA MAN posted:

It's still Jenna/Sharmell

Jenna/Sharmell is awful, but half of Heroes of Wrestling is like a real life Requiem for a Dream

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

TK.Frampt posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Corfl44XvnI

James Storm vs. Chris Harris in a blindfold match at TNA Lockdown 2007.
Blindfold matches in general are awful but unique to this match is that they can't even keep the blindfolds on their heads for any length of time.

What always stands out in my memory is that I think they had another match at the next PPV which was actually REALLY loving good?

HOTLANTA MAN
Jul 4, 2010

by Hand Knit
Lipstick Apathy
Yeah they had a "South Texas Deathmatch" a month later and it was incredible.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Psychlone posted:

The first Uncensored card is all around horrible, but I'd like to nominate the match with Dustin Rhodes and the Blacktop Bully in the back of a moving semi truck. First, the truck was constantly moving them around, so doing moves other than a punch or throwing your opponent into a bale of hay was pretty much impossible. The match didn't end with a ref calling a pinfall, but with a wrestler ringing a bell at the front of the truck. Lastly, the match was clearly pre-taped and put together from times at different parts of the day, making it look like an Ed Wood film when the match goes from a well lit road, to dusk falling, then back to a lit road in the middle of the day.

can i preemptively nominate the main event of uncensored '96

Rusty Shackelford
Feb 7, 2005
Global Wrestling Federation out of Dallas had a match between Chaz and Steven Dane in what they called a Bungee Cord Match.

The match was held inside a shark cage suspended by a crane and both guys had a bungee cord tied around their waist. The winner was the last man in the cage.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dZiTbU5JTUk

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN

Psychlone posted:

This match at least has a notable postscript. Dustin got fired for blading, went to WWF and developed the Goldust character, so it's kinda fun to think about how different the mid-to-late 90s would've been if he stuck around WCW.

yep
Dec 29, 2012

Jerusalem posted:

What always stands out in my memory is that I think they had another match at the next PPV which was actually REALLY loving good?

I wouldn't remember. It wouldn't surprise me, though. They weren't bad, themselves. The entire idea behind this match in particular was just doomed to be a shitshow. Extra TNA jank with the loose blindfolds added to that. I watched a little bit of Impact at the time but this was the only PPV I ever purchased.

HOTLANTA MAN posted:

Yeah they had a "South Texas Deathmatch" a month later and it was incredible.

Hmm. Maybe worth looking into, then.

yep fucked around with this message at 06:29 on Jan 25, 2016

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

This was the first match that came to mind when I saw this thread.

Had Jackie Gayda had any televised matches before this one? It's amazing how completely lost and clueless she is during this one.

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

Dexie posted:

This was the first match that came to mind when I saw this thread.

Had Jackie Gayda had any televised matches before this one? It's amazing how completely lost and clueless she is during this one.

You can see poor Trish trying desparately to talk her through it, and Jackie manages to gently caress up a drop toe hold and completely fail to take the finish at all. It's hilarious.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

ayn rand hand job posted:

can i preemptively nominate the main event of uncensored '96

And it's even debatable as to whether that was the worst match in that show.

Sushi in Yiddish
Feb 2, 2008

I remember a old clip from a random botchamania where the person being interviewed was talking about some exploding cage match that they set up that went horribly wrong and was basically lamenting how stupid of an idea it was to begin with

Here's one I actually remember watching based on the reviews

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oYLe5EkP5Gc

Sushi in Yiddish fucked around with this message at 07:27 on Jan 25, 2016

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

it means nothing, but says everything!
Pillbug
I'm gonna be the one asking a stupid question here: How can wrestling matches be bad when they are more or less scripted? Even if it's mostly improv, wouldn't the guidelines for the match say "Go through spectacular move #1, #2 and #3, have at least one throw out of the ring and two slaps with a chair, don't have too much dead time, wrestler #2 wins on his fourth submission attempt"?

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

evobatman posted:

I'm gonna be the one asking a stupid question here: How can wrestling matches be bad when they are more or less scripted? Even if it's mostly improv, wouldn't the guidelines for the match say "Go through spectacular move #1, #2 and #3, have at least one throw out of the ring and two slaps with a chair, don't have too much dead time, wrestler #2 wins on his fourth submission attempt"?

How can movies be bad if they are more or less scripted?

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

You know they say that all demons are created equal, but you look at me and you look at Pyro Jack and you can see that statement is not true, hee-ho!

evobatman posted:

Imagine going to a see a live performance of Death of a Salesman, but the actors can't remember half of their lines and the guy playing Willy Loman keeps tripping over stage props and equipment.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Jenny Angel posted:

Goons were ironically liking NWA Mountain State for about a full year or so, and got one of their wrestlers to post on here.

The sheer cardio on display in that ring. Business is about to pick up.

Paper Lion
Dec 14, 2009

NWA Mountain State owns but not as hard as SSW

Also the TNA match I will always remember as offending the most is a tie between the X Division cage match with way too many guys that ended in a DQ, and when prompted Vince Russo said "Show me in the rules where it says it CAN'T end in a DQ??? :smuggo:" and the one where they have an Empty Arena match, complete with footage of all their fans being sadly shuffled out the doors, between Kurt Angle and Sting, but before they even start the match commentary reveals that for some reason the Main Event Mafia has refused to leave the building, and are just sitting backstage waiting to interfere if things go bad (which they promptly do).

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

Rusty Shackelford posted:

Global Wrestling Federation out of Dallas had a match between Chaz and Steven Dane in what they called a Bungee Cord Match.

The match was held inside a shark cage suspended by a crane and both guys had a bungee cord tied around their waist. The winner was the last man in the cage.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dZiTbU5JTUk

My god, it's everything that's poo poo about scaffold matches except without the big bump to make up for it. They somehow managed to make the scaffold match concept even worse.

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Sushi in Yiddish posted:

I remember a old clip from a random botchamania where the person being interviewed was talking about some exploding cage match that they set up that went horribly wrong and was basically lamenting how stupid of an idea it was to begin with

That was Joey Styles talking about Bad Company vs. Public Enemy at November to Remember 1993 IIRC

That show was so bad (and poorly lit) that I don't think any full matches from it were released

An Actual Bear
Feb 15, 2012

evobatman posted:

The same way a film or TV show can be bad? There's any number of reasons why a match can suck. The wrestlers might just be poo poo, maybe the gimmick is a terrible idea, maybe someone is having an off night. It's not like you can just do something again if you gently caress it up because the crowd has already seen it at that point. At least you can reshoot a movie scene or whatever.

Punch McLightning
Sep 19, 2005

you know what that means

Grimey Drawer
The Elimination Chamber from last year with Mark Henry's pod getting hosed up is a good example of how easy it is for a match to go off the rails. Up to that point the match had been okay, probably a bit above average or so, and then it just went downhill hard once everyone got confused and panicked.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

El Generico
Feb 3, 2009

Nobody outrules the Marquise de Cat!

An Actual Bear posted:

The same way a film or TV show can be bad? There's any number of reasons why a match can suck. The wrestlers might just be poo poo, maybe the gimmick is a terrible idea, maybe someone is having an off night. It's not like you can just do something again if you gently caress it up because the crowd has already seen it at that point. At least you can reshoot a movie scene or whatever.

Also matches don't always get enough time to have a proper build-up and payoff, a lot of bad matches are like six minutes long including entrances.

• Locked thread