Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MustardFacial
Jun 20, 2011
George Russel's
Official Something Awful Account
Lifelong Tory Voter
Just saw this thread and it's making me pine for my old FC. It was an 88 GXL I bought from some kid for $100 because he lost the keys.

At 135,000km and "still on it's first engine, I swear bro" the thing was in incredible shape. A couple months later it starting getting harder and harder to start to the point I had to pour a spoonful of oil through the spark plug hole in the housing just to start it. Tore the engine apart to replace what I thought was apex seals, and instead it was a severely worn housing and irons. Saved up to buy a new engine but decided to get married instead, and left the car in my parents back field for about 4 years. Time and money prevented me from working on it in the meantime, and after a while the elements and lost parts did so much damage it was beyond my ability to restore.

Goodnight Sweet Prince. I'm so sorry.

MustardFacial fucked around with this message at 04:17 on May 7, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

You should be sorry, one of those wheels is on the wrong side.

"Which one?" You think to yourself, not knowing that this was the test of manhood, and to fail would mean death.

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

Hey 1500, which day are you racing on? The 14th, or the 15th?

E: man we totally said 15. How the gently caress did we get on 14 in the rally thread?

MustardFacial
Jun 20, 2011
George Russel's
Lifelong Tory Voter

Slung Blade posted:

You should be sorry, one of those wheels is on the wrong side.

"Which one?" You think to yourself, not knowing that this was the test of manhood, and to fail would mean death.

It's the back one. There is no other answer to this question. To think otherwise would be so foolish so as it would bring into question your whole belief structure.

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

MustardFacial posted:

It's the back one. There is no other answer to this question. To think otherwise would be so foolish so as it would bring into question your whole belief structure.

You chose, wisely.

MustardFacial
Jun 20, 2011
George Russel's
Lifelong Tory Voter

Slung Blade posted:

You chose, wisely.

There is no other choice.

Tony quidprano
Jan 19, 2014
IM SO BAD AT ACTUALLY TALKING ABOUT F1 IN ANY MEANINGFUL WAY SOME DUDE WITH TOO MUCH FREE MONEY WILL KEEP CHANGING IT UNTIL I SHUT THE FUCK UP OR ACTUALLY POST SOMETHING THAT ISNT SPEWING HATE/SLURS/TELLING PEOPLE TO KILL THEMSELVES
I feel like having a japanese sportscar with half the direction rims off the wrong way is a right of passage.

Race is definitely the 15th. Spent the day reorganizing the van including raising the platform so the kart stand fits under it so it doesn't take 40 minutes to unload or load everything at the track.

Clutch looks a little toasty.

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

That was fun as hell today man, thanks for letting me join in on the festivities.

Let me just cross-post these pictures for anyone who is interested.

Slung Blade posted:

Today I joined 1500quid at the Strathmore karting track. loving phenomenal facility and a great atmosphere.

The little tykes were having a good time.

The track itself is gigantic.

1500's ride.

Entering the track.

Bad distance shot.

Charging up the main hill after the rear end-kicking hairpin bitch of a turn that claimed the aspirations of many.

Pits. There are some pretty serious teams who show up for this, full on race trailers and mobile workshops. I love it.

I was acting as pseudo pit crew, trying to help where possible. We tensioned the chain and adjusted a couple things here and there, but the transponder fell off after corner #3. Fortunately that was close enough to the stands that I saw it come flying off (I had no idea what it was at the time) and saw roughly where it landed. We managed to pick it out of the grass during a short break in the action.

The zipties available were too big for the hole, so I improvised and reamed them out a little bit with some torx bits. Good enough to race on.

The marshals and volunteers are cool. They use a little golf cart as a recovery/tow vehicle :lol: (please note this is not 1500, he finished all his races just fine)

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

It looks like similar when I went to see a friend race his motorbike. He said it was nothing big, certainly nothing like superbikes and then we roll up to the race track (Donnington, fact fans) and the place is teeming with huge trailers and tents everywhere, the pit garages full of race teams. It was very definitely the opposite of 'nothing big' and was fantastic, an entire day's racing.

Sadly our guy crashed out about 3 corners in but the bike was all good aside from the trashed fairings, he was a little roughed up too but after a couple of hour's work the bike had new(old) fairings and was good to go again for the afternoon.

Racing is great.

Tony quidprano
Jan 19, 2014
IM SO BAD AT ACTUALLY TALKING ABOUT F1 IN ANY MEANINGFUL WAY SOME DUDE WITH TOO MUCH FREE MONEY WILL KEEP CHANGING IT UNTIL I SHUT THE FUCK UP OR ACTUALLY POST SOMETHING THAT ISNT SPEWING HATE/SLURS/TELLING PEOPLE TO KILL THEMSELVES
Yeah it was my first race and I'll try and put an effort post at some point but after a year of practice sessions a race is completely different in pretty much every aspect. Even I was a little blown away by the atmosphere and how much it felt like "a race".

I was pretty much just trying to keep from getting lapped. I think there's still a few things the kart needs, something isn't quite right with the engine still and my rear tires were completely toast by the end. They were so bad by the final that I was getting wheel spin just touching the throttle in most corners.

Slungblade was great to have there and now has first hand experience with the endless fiddling with the chain that occurs every time I have to adjust the tension.

MustardFacial
Jun 20, 2011
George Russel's
Lifelong Tory Voter

1500quidporsche posted:

rear tires were completely toast by the end. They were so bad by the final that I was getting wheel spin just touching the throttle in most corners.

how much torque does that little thing put out? I can't imagine it's much being a 2 stroke, but then again I know very little about almost everything.

off the top of my head:
- brake(s)
- camber (can you even adjust the rear camber?)
- engine torque
- caster (?)
- over/under inflation
- Are you prepping the tires at all?

Other than that the only thing I can think of is driving style.

MustardFacial fucked around with this message at 22:24 on May 18, 2016

Tony quidprano
Jan 19, 2014
I really think it was just the tires being completely done though. See if you can spot the wear indicator on the rear, second image is a front tire for comparison.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011

MustardFacial posted:

Just saw this thread and it's making me pine for my old FC. It was an 88 GXL I bought from some kid for $100 because he lost the keys.

At 135,000km and "still on it's first engine, I swear bro" the thing was in incredible shape. A couple months later it starting getting harder and harder to start to the point I had to pour a spoonful of oil through the spark plug hole in the housing just to start it. Tore the engine apart to replace what I thought was apex seals, and instead it was a severely worn housing and irons. Saved up to buy a new engine but decided to get married instead, and left the car in my parents back field for about 4 years. Time and money prevented me from working on it in the meantime, and after a while the elements and lost parts did so much damage it was beyond my ability to restore.

Goodnight Sweet Prince. I'm so sorry.

I've bought cars sitting for 10 years and put them back on the road with just a bit of elbow grease. SHAME.

• Locked thread