Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
black pete
Mar 24, 2015

DON'T MIND ME!

I'LL MAKE JOKES ABOUT RAPE.
Mac users are gay phags and Steve Jobs was a pedophile

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat
"Aw great. My goddamn cupholder's broken again!"

The Six and a Half Figgy IT worker takes his Mercedes in to the dealer to get its fiddly, over-engineered plastic cage of a cupholder repaired.

Syncopated
Oct 21, 2010
LOMARF

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS
A Cobol programmer made so much money doing Y2K remediation that he was able to have himself cryogenically frozen when he died. One day in the future, he was unexpectedly resurrected.

When he asked why he was unfrozen, he was told:

"It's the year 9999 - and you know Cobol"

curse of flubber
Mar 12, 2007
I CAN'T HELP BUT DERAIL THREADS WITH MY VERY PRESENCE

I ALSO HAVE A CLOUD OF DEDICATED IDIOTS FOLLOWING ME SHITTING UP EVERY THREAD I POST IN

IGNORE ME AND ANY DINOSAUR THAT FIGHTS WITH ME BECAUSE WE JUST CAN'T SHUT UP
there's only 10 people in this world, those who understand binary and those who don't, and like 8 other people.

Phoenixan
Jan 16, 2010

Just Keep Cool-idge
microsoft called it windows because windows break easily

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gZA2770_f84

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

pram
Jun 10, 2001

lol

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

goldmine

Inverse Icarus
Dec 4, 2003

I run SyncRPG, and produce original, digital content for the Pathfinder RPG, designed from the ground up to be played online.
edward snowcrash over here

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder
bill gates named microsoft after his penis: micro and soft

mekkanare
Sep 12, 2008
We have detected you are using ad blocking software.

Please add us to your whitelist to view this content.
What was the computer charged for his shave and cut?
Two bits.

Linux Pirate
Apr 21, 2012

holy poo poo lmao

Bored Online
May 25, 2009

We don't need Rome telling us what to do.

Bloody posted:

chome failfox slowfari Internet exploiter Microsoft project spurtin

internet exploder

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

voting six

Linux Pirate
Apr 21, 2012

what did bill gates name microsoft after?
him penis

Dans Macabre
Apr 24, 2004

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mcSujceZDmg

free tom collins

jony ive aces
Jun 14, 2012

designer of the lomarf car

Buglord

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder
yesterday I was in a room training up two new guys. my boss walks in and asks 'pair programming eh?'

me: 'More like au pair programming! "

Alighieri
Dec 10, 2005

:dukedog:

C:/DOS
C:/DOS/RUN
RUN/DOS/RUN

du -hast
Mar 12, 2003

BEHEAD THOSE WHO INSULT GENTOO
me n ma nigga trollie was chillin one day... talkin about perl and poo poo... finally one of us collapses due to the incredible amount of king cobra we have ingested

me: programming is loving terrible
trollie: true.dat

yeah ill take the probe for this one

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug
Two Polish computers are building a house. One of them is putting on the siding. He picks up a nail, hammers it in. Picks up another nail, throws it away. Picks up a nail, hammers it in. Picks up another, throws it away. This goes on for a while, and finally his friend comes over and asks him why he is throwing half of the nails away.

He replies, “Those ones were pointed on the wrong end.”

His Polish computer friend gets exasperated and says “You idiot, those are for the other side of the house!”

Roosevelt
Jul 18, 2009

I'm looking for the man who shot my paw.

context: forums poster nbv4 posts a thread

this guy replies:

quote:

I work as a programmer coding software for an automatic sewing machine that runs entirely on cow manure to be used primarily by wives of cattle farmers (not even kidding). Despite how it sounds, we somehow have a steady stream of consumers and the software itself is surprisingly complicated -- the machine manages all different kinds of needles and threads, switching between them via a simple interface and it alerts the user when spools are running low, etc. It's not exactly the most fun work I've done, but it's unique and it pays well.

Anyway, the code-base is absolutely garbage and it makes heavy use of factories for creating any and all objects. What's even worse is that the coding standard here for factories is to use all single letter identifiers that consist of the first letter of the word that they represent. The exception to this rule is that if you want to represent something that is two or more words long, you use the first letter of each of those words (I.E. the generic factory for creating objects that represent "Needles" is a global object simply called "n" and the factory that produces objects that represent "Tatting Needles" is called "tn" ). Furthermore, we have a strict versioning convention where you append "v#" to any new factory name that is a revised version of another factory where # is the version number). For instance, at some point early on in development before I got here, the type for representing upholstery needle's was totally revamped and a new type was created -- rather than reuse the same factory name, the old one still exists, but if you want the new type, you have to use the "unv2" factory, where "unv2" stands for upholstery needle version 2. Couple this with the fact that there are pretty much no comments and you get impossible to read code that you have to analyze to figure out what it's supposed to be doing.

Case in point, we have different factories for threading needles that work with different internal types based on whether the machine is running on cow manure or bull manure or a combination, so there is a factory "nc" for "no cow" if it is trying to thread a needle when running strictly on bull manure, "cb" if it is trying to thread a needle while running on cow and/or bull manure, and "nb" if it is trying to thread a needle while running on just cow manure. What's worse is, these factories are constantly being revised so seeing an expression like "cbv3()" for "cow and bull version 3" is way too common.

To make a long story short, one afternoon back in 2002 I was making updates to the threading functionality and when I tested my changes on the actual machine, everything seemed to work fine except that whenever I went to work with strictly bull manure, all the spools were getting covered in feces! I looked back at my code but because it was a long day I couldn't figure out what the problem was so I just started a new version of the "no bull" code and increased the version count to 5.

Everything works fine now if you use the latest factory, but to this day, nbv4 produces nothing but lovely threads.

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

lol

(worth the probe just to post lol)

elite_garbage_man
Apr 3, 2010
I THINK THAT "PRIMA DONNA" IS "PRE-MADONNA". I MAY BE ILLITERATE.
q: what's the difference between a woman and a computer?

a: a woman doesn't accept a 3 and a half inch floppy.

Incomplete Fish
Apr 22, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Knock Knock.

Whos there?

Java

*really long pause*

Exception in thread "main" java.io.FunnyNotFoundException: jokes.txt (Bad Joke)
at java.io.JokeInputStream.open0(Native Method)
at java.io.JokeInputStream.open(JokeInputStream.java:195)
at java.io.JokeInputStream.<init>(JokeInputStream.java:138)
at java.io.JokeInputStream.<init>(JokeInputStream.java:93)
at java.io.JokeReader.<init>(FileReader.java:58)
at com.funny.Main.main(Main.java:16)
at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke0(Native Method)
at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(NativeMethodAccessorImpl.java:62)
at sun.reflect.DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.java:43)
at java.lang.reflect.Method.invoke(Method.java:497)
at com.intellij.rt.execution.application.AppMain.main(AppMain.java:144)

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

Syncopated
Oct 21, 2010

well are you a newfag smythe

bradzilla
Oct 15, 2004

How many programmers does it take to change a light bulb?
None – It’s a hardware problem

also it never ceases to amuse me when goons in this forum are huge babies about 6 hour probes

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder
i love getting probed by smythe he can probe me as much as he wants

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

MALE SHOEGAZE posted:

i love getting probed by smythe he can probe me as much as he wants

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

lol hes mad