Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
«145 »
Dunno-Lars
Apr 7, 2011

Double Punctuation posted:

Somebody earlier mentioned that marblemelons were bugged. What, exactly, is the problem with them?

They are hard to knife if you stand ontop of the big growbox I guess. You have to stand next to the planter to get seeds.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Time was trying to harvest Mellon seeds was basically a near guarantee of carving a hole through your base walls, even if your planter was in the middle of the room. Because your baby knife that needs a dozen swings to destroy a tiger plant could effortlessly rupture reinforced titanium from six paces This of course, was met with the usual "Well I think it's great, you should just be more careful, I never have any problems. Melons farming must be hardcore and cutting your base in half is realistic" sort of playerbase responses every time the subject came up.

I've had good luck with them this run n my bases and cyclops (Though I ignore wall planters for how buggy those still seem to be if you want to remove them), even if I too need to resort to crawling on top of the planter occasionally. But I would not be surprised if I overlooked some lingering actual bugs.

Section Z fucked around with this message at Feb 18, 2018 around 23:09

Ellipson
Sep 14, 2007

everything's cool

Just blasted off. What a great game.

Anyone else find the Cyclops... kinda useless? I got it pretty late into the game, when I was already exploring the deeper sections of the game. At that point I had developed a Multipurpose + Moonpool + Scanner room leapfrog base system with Bioreactors and all the fixings. It would have been nice to help transport my PRAWN suit, but that's about it.

I stuck a grappling hook and some food and water in my capsule. I loved Bionic Commando'ing it up and the food and water would be useful for just about anyone.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Anyone for a cuppa?

If you love building huge stupid bases like I do, the cyclops is the most useful thing in the game because it has CARGO CAPACITY. Head down to the aurora wreck, fill up twenty lockers with titanium, then go to town. Also makes for an easy storage area for food and water and alien artifacts and other stuff you might need in areas you dont have a base but that you dont want taking up inventory space.

Ellipson
Sep 14, 2007

everything's cool

Yeah I can see that. I had my primary base set up already at that point, and got lucky that it was really close to some Important poo poo. Would have been nice to have it when I was setting up originally, but when I finally got it I had already made it to the 1st volcanic alien base. I went through unspoiled in about 35 hours and reading through this thread/the wiki is eye opening. I had no idea that there were teleporters between the two islands or that the stillsuit... existed. Also apparently got really lucky with the crown plant for the fetch quest; I found one right next to my main base while I was grabbing some copper.

I drowned once and killed myself checking out the edge of the map; a hardcore run seems totally doable but kind of pointless.

(I have no idea how important the spoiler tags are for this thread but better safe than sorry)

EDIT: Oh yeah, and if you're reading this and you're just starting out: scanner rooms... are good. Don't be like me and build your first one at like hour 15.

Ellipson fucked around with this message at Feb 18, 2018 around 23:40

Ambaire
Sep 3, 2009

Oven Wrangler

It would seem that the 'force wreck to temporarily despawn' bug is still in effect. If you build a scanner room or whatever so it's clipping into a wreck, the wreck just .. vanishes when you finish constructing the room. Hello floating goodies...

Also, scanner rooms continue to be hilarious. One goes from "can't find sandstone for anything" to "oh my god the circles are taking over the world".

Edit: It looks like 'temporarily' is actually 'permanently'. Tried it on a different wreck with an L-shape, removed it and wreck's still gone. Tried going away from the area and coming back, wreck still gone. I'm almost afraid to try it out on the Aurora and see if I can get it to vanish. Anyone want to check?

Ambaire fucked around with this message at Feb 19, 2018 around 00:11

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> propitiate the dread god arengee

Pillbug

If you like this sort of thing, Giant Bomb dropped their release Quick Look today.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KU-6kWo2Yjk

Listening to it in the background while I try to navigate the spooky poo poo and going 'oh if only you knew ' is kinda fun

QuantaStarFire
May 18, 2006

You can use this bug to make the Aurora disappear as well. The speedrun uses it to get the rocket schematics without going thru the ship, since you can just seaglide to the captain's quarters.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

QuantaStarFire posted:

You can use this bug to make the Aurora disappear as well. The speedrun uses it to get the rocket schematics without going thru the ship, since you can just seaglide to the captain's quarters.
In a perfect schadenfreude world, this would finally encourage the devs to fix hosed up terrain after their faux hardcore fans turn on them for how speedruns are too easy thanks to the longstanding bugs .

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Have you seen my glasses

Ciaphas posted:

If you like this sort of thing, Giant Bomb dropped their release Quick Look today.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KU-6kWo2Yjk

Listening to it in the background while I try to navigate the spooky poo poo and going 'oh if only you knew ' is kinda fun

I'm enjoying this but is 'quick look' like an in-joke cause this video is 38 minutes long

TheParadigm
Dec 10, 2009

HexiDave posted:

And the sub power notification idea is great - looks like it's easy, so I'll be trying that soon.

Edit: Yeah, it was - I'll build it into a mod soon

Outstanding. Nice work!

HexiDave posted:

My large, submersible son is ugly, but powerful:

what have I done.

I sorta figured the devs would be lazy and take the easiest method of disabling a feature or item and just flipping a bit to off. Normally that'd be enough, but it makes undoing it fairly easy.

But no, really. thanks. I slept on it a bit and have some further shower thoughts about the game to offer on the Quality of Life/why is this not a thing topic.

Y-branching power transmitters? Being able to multibeam one power source to two nearby bases is one of those 'why can't you do this?' moments.

How hard is it to add new recipes? I think nuclear power would be a lot more attractive(not to mention renewable!) if you could reuse the reactor rods. Say, bring a depleted rod and 3 fresh uranite to the fabricator to make a fresh reactor rod. Save the casing, pop new isotopes in.

we finally got the ability to manage seamoth/prawn inventory while docked, but its absolutely a hastle to haul around a moonpool and power for it inside a cyclops just to make torpedoes. But at the same time it being totally doable means there should be a hastle-saving shortcut.
Can you make the cyclops upgrade console have the (option to) fabricate other vehiclestation's mods too?

Relatedly, would it be feasable to make a second recipe for the computer chip(or items in general). You know, a second variation to the right that makes the same item? Being able to make the same item(s) a few different ways might help with the scattered resouce problem. I got stung fairly hard by the recipe changing, and I sometimes wish there was more than one means to an end.
Mockup:

If there's any lingering frustrations with bases, its not being able to slap a battery pack on a wall for those times when you have to turn on water and/or charge up a moonpool docked vehicle. Its solved quite easily with 'just building more power' or using a bio reactor for the maximum capacity addition, but its still sort of annoying. A simple item you can attach to a base and up the power limit would be ideal, depending on how much work it is. http://subnautica.wikia.com/wiki/Cut_Content the accumulator might be nice to revive, if its low hanging fruit. This might also be solved just by modding power numbers though.

That being said, checking how hard it is to re-enable content that have not been deleted would be good to know in general.

How hard would it be to expand the player's inventory by a row? I was sort of thinking its a shame there's not more useful gear options, and the semi-recent before release change about gloves seems sorta forced just to make them useful. Not that you should, but the ease of it or if it breaks anything is worth looking into.

Unrelated side question: Is it possible to use a power transmitter through a teleporter? I sorta noticed that solar panels get extra power if you build them on land or up high; and so I was struck by the possibility of building a bunch of power on the floating island, and seeing if I could send it through to the gun island.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox

Hey guys, I'm looking to build a multipurpose room and have read you have to find a degasi habitat first . I have a signal for a "proposed" one, but haven't been able to find it.

Any guidance?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
It doesn't help that I'm fat as fuck, so my face shouldn't be shown off in the first place.

Stand on the lifepod or any other decently high spot and take a careful look around. The answers to the multipurpose will come to you.

«145 »