Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Whorelord
May 1, 2013

Jump into the well...

Just struck me that my base at the bottom of the sea guarded by various ocean predators gives off the impression that I'm actually some kind of Bond villain.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tylana
May 5, 2011

Pillbug
Sonar upgrade on the Cyclops was very very helpful in actually getting the huge barge of a thing down to the suitable areas.

Then I planted my creepvine cluster for making silicone and lubricant so it grew into the base above it and I couldn't reach the seeds.

Can advise the grapplearm and jetpack upgrade on the prawn though. (The jet pack works underwater despite it's weird description)

And yeah. Just get down there, poke around.

EDIT : Remember your PDA will tell you which crafting station makes which part. Often MK1s are built in the vehicle upgrade station then upgraded in Modification Station.

Tylana fucked around with this message at 22:36 on Apr 12, 2020

Tagichatn
Jun 7, 2009

Serephina posted:

No, that's incorrect. I mean... obviously? Stop reading spoilers and just keep playing.

I dunno why you think I'm being spoiled, I'm looking at the kyanite in my cyclops right now.

Hwurmp posted:

You should be able to reach some Kyanite with the Mk1 Prawn depth module.

Comrade Koba posted:

You only need the MK.1 depth module to mine kyanite, not the MK.2. :ssh:

Thanks, you're right. I got so used to living out of my cyclops that I forgot the mod station in my cyclops only does upgrades so I was looking at the mk2 upgrade the whole time. Ugh, now I need to go all the way back out of the lava area to pick my prawn up.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Tagichatn posted:

Thanks, you're right. I got so used to living out of my cyclops that I forgot the mod station in my cyclops only does upgrades so I was looking at the mk2 upgrade the whole time. Ugh, now I need to go all the way back out of the lava area to pick my prawn up.

This is now why I always shove enough materials to build a mini moon pool base in the lava zone into my cyclops storage. To reduce backtracking. Walking all the way with a prawn gets real embarrassing without foreknowledge, too.

That's the real power of the cyclops. Less backtracking for anything and everything outside of power, until you get that sorted.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
Someone somewhere recommended using the cyclops as a base, and he's not wrong. It easily has enough storage space for everything on earth, and once you get properly set up its actually possible to become self-sustaining. Practically, I had a charging/water filt station at the Tree, but honestly it was only used a few times before I found the needed modules&plants.

Tylana
May 5, 2011

Pillbug
You can't use the moth this deep, so I'm surprised you didn't have the prawn with you regardless. I wonder if the mobile vehicle bay works underground.

Can you fit a growbed and a modification station in the Cyclops? Actually I guess I should check if you can shove the vehicle upgrade console in the dock.

Tylana fucked around with this message at 00:51 on Apr 13, 2020

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Tylana posted:

You can't use the moth this deep, so I'm surprised you didn't have the prawn with you regardless. I wonder if the mobile vehicle bay works underground.

Can you fit a growbed and a modification station in the Cyclops? Actually I guess I should check if you can shove the vehicle upgrade console in the dock.
Yeah, you can fit growbeds on the Cyclops.

The upgrades on the go problem is that there are Moon pool specific modules. You can upgrade a prawn depth module on the cyclops, but you can't make one in the first place. Or the cool jet booster upgrades, or anything else that is a default state module for the prawn/seamoth.

I'm hazy on the history and current status of "Identical crafting station as what you would put in a base, but it only makes thing if you craft it on a cyclops" which used to be a common sticking point in EA.

I eventually ended up a bit all or nothing with my Cyclops usage. Now by the time I finally build one, it's time to make a line drive run for everything left past the tree cove. You can do a hell of a lot with just the seamoth and spare power cell just in case. Though I definitely used it more for moving van capacity when I made more bases per game. Now I'm boring and just make a single early biome base, a couple tubes that can run fabricators, and a lava land moon pool with a thermal reactor.

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
I fondly remember the grand project that my move down to the Tree Cove became, involving laying out the path via buoys (because I didn't want to get lost piloting the Cyclops), disassembling large chunks of my Safe Shallows base and loading it into my Cyclops alongside my Prawn Suit, and then slowly lumbering my way down there to unload and rebuild.

and then I just jetted back up there with the handheld jet to pick up the Seamoth because I couldn't bear to be separated from it, even if the Seamoth could only safely sit at the top of the Tree Cove

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Podima posted:

and then I just jetted back up there with the handheld jet to pick up the Seamoth because I couldn't bear to be separated from it, even if the Seamoth could only safely sit at the top of the Tree Cove

This logic is one of the reasons reasons I developed my habit of vertical double decker "Won't quite smash into the one below me launching" Moon pools, yes :allears:

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ
This is a must-have mod: https://www.nexusmods.com/subnautica/mods/83

quote:

Adds all recipes from the Vehicle Upgrade Console to the Cyclops fabricator.

Whorelord
May 1, 2013

Jump into the well...

Fond memories of trying to outfit my Cyclops with the final depth module, only to realise that taking the module out would mean that the Cyclops would be crushed in the time it would take for me to remove it, go to my base, fabricate it and return. Of course, I could've built the Modification Station in my Cyclops rather than my Base but that makes too much sense.

Tylana
May 5, 2011

Pillbug
I had to build a spare (and go drilling for another ingot of titanium), ascend to 900m, swap to a mk1 so I could take my mk2 and turn it into a mk3. Haha.

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

Whorelord posted:

Fond memories of trying to outfit my Cyclops with the final depth module, only to realise that taking the module out would mean that the Cyclops would be crushed in the time it would take for me to remove it, go to my base, fabricate it and return. Of course, I could've built the Modification Station in my Cyclops rather than my Base but that makes too much sense.

I did exactly that. Pop out the module, upgrade it inside the cyclops, put it back in. It barely did any damage even though I was hundreds of meters below the max depth.

Same for the Prawn: It can easily survive for a minute or two at 900m+ without any depth modules at all (which is enough to mine the titanium nodes you need to make a moonpool + vehicle upgrade station...)

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Tamba posted:

I did exactly that. Pop out the module, upgrade it inside the cyclops, put it back in. It barely did any damage even though I was hundreds of meters below the max depth.

Same for the Prawn: It can easily survive for a minute or two at 900m+ without any depth modules at all (which is enough to mine the titanium nodes you need to make a moonpool + vehicle upgrade station...)

I did the same and I don't think there was any noticeable damage. The Seamoth takes crush damage fast but the Prawn and Cyclops seem to have a grace period. I think the idea is to emphasise the Seamoth's relative fragility and encourage you to seek out upgrades but by the time you've got the Cyclops it can be assumed you know what you're doing, and also they aren't nearly as nimble as the Seamoth.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
Yea, the seamoth juts sparks and takes damage, but the cyclops has a lot more work put into it, it groans and moans as it slowly takes damage.

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

does the game ever explain why a person can swim around fine at depths that crush a reinforced titanium sub?

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

all Alterra employees are equipped with depth modules

don't ask where

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf

Wafflecopper posted:

does the game ever explain why a person can swim around fine at depths that crush a reinforced titanium sub?

Humans are mostly made of incompressible fluids, just make sure you flatten your lungs completely before you exit the cyclops

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
Yea, I feel that was a missed opportunity to have depth itself be a threat to the diver. The reduced oxygen thing woulda been great, if it wasn't disabled instantly by a single item. Same with lava and water temperature, etc.

edit: vvv It's a video game man, of course they're not going to do stuff like a 14 hour decompression for a 15 minute dive. But, imagine if there was no rebreather mask, and going deeper meant having to be faster and faster for mandatory diving sequences. Or having suits that matter. It's real easy to mix it in with a fun game mechanic, and UW just... decided not to. Didn't someone say that the O2 meter was not in the first iterations of the game, like how off the mark could you be?

Serephina fucked around with this message at 14:22 on Apr 14, 2020

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Krazyface posted:

Humans are mostly made of incompressible fluids, just make sure you flatten your lungs completely before you exit the cyclops

yeah, liquid breathing kinda exists (it's being slowly researched, but not yet workable), so it's plausible in a scifi environment. i can get why they didn't go there though, you'd have to have a transition of some sorts every time you switch from breathing air to breathing liquid and that's not fun

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro
If you don't upgrade the dive suit, every hundred or so meters down increases your oxygen loss by an order of magnitude. Even with the depth upgrade to the suit and high pressure tanks, you'll still lose air pretty quickly in the deepest depths compared to the shallows.

Truga posted:

yeah, liquid breathing kinda exists (it's being slowly researched, but not yet workable), so it's plausible in a scifi environment. i can get why they didn't go there though, you'd have to have a transition of some sorts every time you switch from breathing air to breathing liquid and that's not fun

They could have made exiting the sub/suit fatal below a certain depth, but that doesn't seem like it would make the game more fun. The prawn suit side-steps the need for liquid breathing pretty easily, after that you can hand-wave it away with ~future pressurization technology~.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Or the water on the planet is weird.

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Being social makes me swell!
Or your suit comes with its own pressure pills.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Serephina posted:

Yea, I feel that was a missed opportunity to have depth itself be a threat to the diver. The reduced oxygen thing woulda been great, if it wasn't disabled instantly by a single item. Same with lava and water temperature, etc.

edit: vvv It's a video game man, of course they're not going to do stuff like a 14 hour decompression for a 15 minute dive. But, imagine if there was no rebreather mask, and going deeper meant having to be faster and faster for mandatory diving sequences. Or having suits that matter. It's real easy to mix it in with a fun game mechanic, and UW just... decided not to. Didn't someone say that the O2 meter was not in the first iterations of the game, like how off the mark could you be?

iirc an early version of the game had a nitrogen narcosis/bends mechanic that sounded like absolutely no fun at all

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.

Serephina posted:

At the end of the day they chose not to make that a significant obstacle. You already have to search to find a suit upgrade once, they could have had you do that a few more times but then that'd just be more of the same. Any other conceivable mechanic ultimately detracts from the exploration focus of the game (because then you're not out there exploring.)

Base oxygen drain and dangerous critters are perfectly serviceable to restrict the player's movement in deep dive situations. Building extra oxygen tanks is a tradeoff for the player because those things hog inventory. Dying can really suck when you don't build bases in the deep (and thus likely have to build another cyclops to go back to your first one.)
And before you had hud icons for your vehicles it was surprisingly easy to lose your seamoth in the dark depths of the ocean, even with it's lights on.

Realism sucks. Versimilitude is where it's at. And if that doesn't fit with what the game is designed for, it's ok for the game to ignore it (ideally so that the player also ignores it.)

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Toxic Fart Syndrome posted:

If you don't upgrade the dive suit, every hundred or so meters down increases your oxygen loss by an order of magnitude. Even with the depth upgrade to the suit and high pressure tanks, you'll still lose air pretty quickly in the deepest depths compared to the shallows.

They could have made exiting the sub/suit fatal below a certain depth, but that doesn't seem like it would make the game more fun. The prawn suit side-steps the need for liquid breathing pretty easily, after that you can hand-wave it away with ~future pressurization technology~.
Leaving your prawn suit IS essentially fatal, unless you prepare accordingly with the reinforced suit :v: But I am just now remembering that there is no reinforced helmet, so a rebreather mask is protecting the rest of your head from lava land just as well as the rest of your suit :downs:

Also I expect the main reason also has to do with implications for other mechanics. If you were "realistically instant killed" outside of a vehichle, then they would have to re-balance their whole game around the fact you can't repair your vehicles anymore in those areas. Or give us means to repair the cyclops via the prawn or without stepping outside. "I hate the Cyclops! I'm walking the whole way with the prawn!" runs would also get some serious alterations unless a new means of repairing them was introduced as well.

Throwing in another failure state means having to QA test around it (well, in theory, if you're not half assing it). Imagine the added pressure on "I fell out of my cyclops" bugs if they were guaranteed death instead of a coinflip it kept swim physics active so you could scurry back inside.

EponymousMrYar posted:

Realism sucks. Versimilitude is where it's at. And if that doesn't fit with what the game is designed for, it's ok for the game to ignore it (ideally so that the player also ignores it.)

Never forget "The replicator destroying your items unless you stop to manually click and pick up each individual object IS realistic!." beta changes that half this thread rushed the official forums to say how bad an idea that was.

Section Z fucked around with this message at 02:09 on Apr 15, 2020

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Or the water on the planet is weird.
It wouldn't be a property of the water though.

I think the real one you'd need to avoid is O2 toxicity? With earth gravity and atmospheric composition, it's a concern around 66m deep. Knowing that the surface of the planet is breathable unassisted sets a lower limit on the relative gravity, estimate it's equivalent to 20,000ft on Earth or about half. That gets us to ~130m. It's tempting to start adjusting the partial pressure of oxygen in the atmosphere to sorta halfass nitrox, but that pulls away from our "breath at the surface" metric so it's not really viable.

If you really want the tension of diving and coming up at the last possible moment in-game, the speedrun essentially does that? Carry enough mats to slap up a moon pool with a solar panel, make sure you die after breaking the surface.

Subnautica is a land of contrasts.

Dyz
Dec 10, 2010

Section Z posted:

Never forget "The replicator destroying your items unless you stop to manually click and pick up each individual object IS realistic!." beta changes that half this thread rushed the official forums to say how bad an idea that was.

I think my favorite one that all the brokebrained hardcore players loved to defend was 30 minute crafting times on the fabricator.

Comrade Koba
Jul 2, 2007

I love how it’s really easy to find people online going all :goonsay: about how it’s ~unrealistic~ that you can swim around freely at crush depths, but I’ve yet to see a single person complain about how the best high-tech oxygen tank in the game only lets you breathe underwater for less than four minutes even at surface depths.

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Look, the Planet's got two huge-rear end moons crazy close in orbit. The fact that we don't have 30-metre waves kinda suggests that physics/chem/bio is out to lunch in this 'verse.

Aoi
Sep 12, 2017

Perpetually a Pain.

Wafflecopper posted:

Something something Alterra survival suit you wear from the start under everything else something something. It has a blueprint entry and everything.

That's all the explanation you'll be getting, deal with it.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
But boy howdy did they push realism hard when it came to craft times for their matter replicator. Can't have it be too fast. That would be unrealistic.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

WarpedNaba posted:

Look, the Planet's got two huge-rear end moons crazy close in orbit. The fact that we don't have 30-metre waves kinda suggests that physics/chem/bio is out to lunch in this 'verse.

They're just not very dense

Tylana
May 5, 2011

Pillbug
I'm pretty glad a lot of things lean towards convenience. Like, the about of titanium you need for most of the big things feels intentionally small (especially the cyclops)

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
Yea, it always amuses me when you get a dozen softballs' worth of titanium, rub them together real quick, and end up with a pure-metal structure the size of an apartment building. The launch pad never ceases to amuse.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Dyz posted:

I think my favorite one that all the brokebrained hardcore players loved to defend was 30 minute crafting times on the fabricator.
That was around the same time. I still get a giggle out of the developer response of "It's NOT 'over a minute!' " then linking a chart showing 45 second crafting timers :downs:

Comrade Koba posted:

I love how it’s really easy to find people online going all :goonsay: about how it’s ~unrealistic~ that you can swim around freely at crush depths, but I’ve yet to see a single person complain about how the best high-tech oxygen tank in the game only lets you breathe underwater for less than four minutes even at surface depths.

People get very funny in the head over such things, but you can guaranteed nine times out of ten it's gonna be people trying to justify some form of inconvenience. Then U turning to "It's just a game!" if you suggest something realistic that would improve QoL rather than give some form of bragging rights.

That said? You can't even escape it with well meaning people. I've got a pal who we have to talk down from giving us even MORE absurd bullshit than we already have in the rare times we can do DnD nerd games online. But he will go into full "But that's not realistic" mode over the most mundane of things. Airship trading company with goblin butlers and hoping to get us construct servants because 'Guy who would loot an acid pit' is running the show, but nonlethal takedowns with a bow are right out because "Arrows are SHARP! that's not realistic! they would bleed out obviously". Then offer to let is start manufacturing blunt tip arrows.

VectorSigma
Jan 20, 2004

Transform
and
Freak Out

Humans being an interstellar species in the time frame that preserves modern body layout, let alone spoken language and the idea of a corporation, that's the real fiction.

But I don't care, I just want to go underwater and look at glowing scary poo poo.

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Modern body layout? You expecting everyone to go full cyborg?

VectorSigma
Jan 20, 2004

Transform
and
Freak Out

Space is big, and we're not going to go any faster than moderate relativistic velocities any time in the next thousand years. Even in peak form with all the future medical assists, there's no way our feeble meatbag bodies can survive the time scales needed for meaningful interstellar society.

You're going to want a machine body, because your Amazorg Omega membership comes with free Same-Century Shipping, but it's not coming to your Sector until AE.4675. Until then, that beer you like from that planet you went to 800 years ago will take 150 years to ship. Fortunately cryo-preservation works on beer better than it did on people.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

VectorSigma posted:

Space is big, and we're not going to go any faster than moderate relativistic velocities any time in the next thousand years. Even in peak form with all the future medical assists, there's no way our feeble meatbag bodies can survive the time scales needed for meaningful interstellar society.

You're going to want a machine body, because your Amazorg Omega membership comes with free Same-Century Shipping, but it's not coming to your Sector until AE.4675. Until then, that beer you like from that planet you went to 800 years ago will take 150 years to ship. Fortunately cryo-preservation works on beer better than it did on people.

That's specifically not the universe of subnautica though. It's a universe where jumping instantly between star systems (owned by different corporations) is super common. In fact the Aurora was on it's way to build a new jump gate on the "slow" part of the journey that was still FTL (afaik).

If we had that kind of technological ability right now, we could be jumping to/from Alpha Centauri within our life time, and our kids could potentially be jumping to these stars within their life time:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_star_systems_within_30%E2%80%9335_light-years

Plus the idea that it takes "thousands of years" to create big discoveries is demonstrably false. Look at how long it took to go to the moon after the invention of "magic" (electricity).

Now it may turn out to be literally impossible to go FTL even through exotic sci-fi means, but if that's the case "thousands" of years isn't going to make a difference.

ate shit on live tv fucked around with this message at 06:57 on Apr 16, 2020