Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

VectorSigma
Jan 20, 2004

Transform
and
Freak Out

ate poo poo on live tv posted:

That's specifically not the universe of subnautica though. It's a universe where jumping instantly between star systems (owned by different corporations) is super common.

Yeah, that was the point of my original statement. Why be concerned with being realistic about pressure effects and how tidal forces would affect the oceans when the entire premise is bordering on fantasy to begin with.

ate poo poo on live tv posted:

Plus the idea that it takes "thousands of years" to create big discoveries is demonstrably false. Look at how long it took to go to the moon after the invention of "magic" (electricity).

Now it may turn out to be literally impossible to go FTL even through exotic sci-fi means, but if that's the case "thousands" of years isn't going to make a difference.

Discoveries are one thing, practice is another. Warp drive may be possible, but the energy required would likely be far beyond anything we will wield in a future measurable by mere human lifetimes. The hypothetical Alcubierre Drive would need something like the energy equivalent of the mass of Jupiter. Exponentiating technology or not, whatever can take a gas giant in the gas tank is going to be a little bit more than a hip-hop minute to build.

VectorSigma fucked around with this message at 07:08 on Apr 16, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

VectorSigma posted:

Yeah, that was the point of my original statement. Why be concerned with being realistic about pressure effects and how tidal forces would affect the oceans when the entire premise is bordering on fantasy to begin with.

Well for the purpose of consistency in fantasy the initial premise must be accepted (FTL through phase gates is possible). But that doesn't mean that either gravity, objects having mass or the concept of individual consciousness should be arbitrarily ignored as well. Basically it doesn't matter what common rules you break/change to create your setting, but once those rules are established to the player they should be immutable.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Serephina posted:

Yea, it always amuses me when you get a dozen softballs' worth of titanium, rub them together real quick, and end up with a pure-metal structure the size of an apartment building. The launch pad never ceases to amuse.

Been said that Subnautica at least sidesteps a lot of crafting game implausibility by having you specifically using what's more or less a Star Trek replicator. (which is on the fritz)

WarpedNaba posted:

Look, the Planet's got two huge-rear end moons crazy close in orbit. The fact that we don't have 30-metre waves kinda suggests that physics/chem/bio is out to lunch in this 'verse.

Kinda funny that the ocean is always calm as a lake considering, and the Degasi logs even mention the planet supposedly has devastating storms that eventually half-buried their original base. But again, obviously engine limitations. I don't think ANY 3D game has made a real effort to simulate a stormy sea.

VectorSigma
Jan 20, 2004

Transform
and
Freak Out

Certainly things like basic gravity and up and down aren't at play here, only a mechanism that most lay-people don't know exists. It's also clearly a gameplay consideration here.

I liked how The Abyss explained how the crew of the Deep Core survived their rapid surfacing.

"They musta done something to us."

madfury
Dec 21, 2005
rõve loom
fellow goons, I loved base game and have been waiting for the expansion to be feature and story complete before diving in. Its one of those very rare games that I do not want spoiled so I have avoided this thread like the plague. But the last info from dev was that they are changing writing and story direction due to personnel changes.
Is the game story complete (equivalent to release version of base game)? I dont mind if they plan to expand the story further but Id like the first playthrough experience to have a beginning, middle and end.

Comte de Saint-Germain
Mar 26, 2001

Snouk but and snouk ben,
I find the smell of an earthly man,
Be he living, or be he dead,
His heart this night shall kitchen my bread.

madfury posted:

fellow goons, I loved base game and have been waiting for the expansion to be feature and story complete before diving in. Its one of those very rare games that I do not want spoiled so I have avoided this thread like the plague. But the last info from dev was that they are changing writing and story direction due to personnel changes.
Is the game story complete (equivalent to release version of base game)? I dont mind if they plan to expand the story further but Id like the first playthrough experience to have a beginning, middle and end.

I haven't played it, but I've watched a few clips of the early access gameplay. Basically, the previous story was unfinished and will never be finished because the writer left and they've decided to totally redo the story. The new version has some characters and story beats in common, but otherwise is totally new- it's also not done yet.

I'd wait till it comes out of early access to be sure the story is done.

Mouko
Nov 27, 2004

Jagwah.

Ghost Leviathan posted:

I don't think ANY 3D game has made a real effort to simulate a stormy sea.

Assassin's Creed: Black Flag made a pretty decent effort at stormy seas. You don't spend much time in the water when it's stormy though!

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Being social makes me swell!
I loved the boating stuff in Black Flag. It's a shame it was an rear end creed game, though.

Dyz
Dec 10, 2010

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Been said that Subnautica at least sidesteps a lot of crafting game implausibility by having you specifically using what's more or less a Star Trek replicator. (which is on the fritz)

Kinda funny that the ocean is always calm as a lake considering, and the Degasi logs even mention the planet supposedly has devastating storms that eventually half-buried their original base. But again, obviously engine limitations. I don't think ANY 3D game has made a real effort to simulate a stormy sea.

Below Zero adds storms (no stormy seas though).

Aoi
Sep 12, 2017

Perpetually a Pain.
I like Below Zero's storms a lot, they look great both above and just below the surface.

I do want them to figure out how to not make bases you've built above ground fill up with fog or whatever when that and other 'omnipresent' storm types are taking place. I built that 200 meter high tower with the quad observatories up top for a reason, and having it worthless for enjoying my lunch while taking in nature's spectacle is vexing, to say the least.

IMJack
Apr 16, 2003

Royalty is a continuous ripping and tearing motion.

Fun Shoe
I'm new to this nonsense. Is there a known bug in Below Zero where the water stops working if you spend too long messing around on the Glacier?

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

The most virtuous child in the entire world.
Water not acting like water sounds like a longstanding Subnautica bug. The old "sink through the floor of your Cyclops and end up falling to your death through water to the seabed" glitch.

Speaking of glitches, has anyone else had their Cyclops bang up their Seamoth while traveling around? I'll be going fine and then suddenly hear this awful BANG like I collided with something. And if I don't stop and go repair my Seamoth immediately, there's a better than even chance it will disintegrate by the time I reach my destination. It's getting kind of old.

Aoi
Sep 12, 2017

Perpetually a Pain.

IMJack posted:

I'm new to this nonsense. Is there a known bug in Below Zero where the water stops working if you spend too long messing around on the Glacier?

Not that i'm aware of, but if you're having that issue, try using the console (f8, then f3, then f8 again to get rid of it, then use 'enter' to bring up the console command entry) and use 'warpforward xm'. It should teleport you a few meters forward and automatically bring you back into 'swimming' mode if the game somehow gets thinking you were in 'walking' mode, even underwater.

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

They tapdance not, neither do they fart
Below Zero got a big update

https://unknownworlds.com/subnautica/below-zero-frostbite-update/?k=8

Experience the beginning of an all-new story and intro cinematic
Explore the extensively reworked Glacial Basin
Interact with the new cold mechanics and avoid hypothermia
Discover new Snowball interactions with the Snow Stalkers
Encounter escalating weather conditions
Uncover further improvements and polish to existing biomes
Enjoy crisper, and more clear in-game text

Which may be exactly what I need for this funk i'm in.

Iceclaw
Nov 4, 2009

Fa la lanky down dilly, motherfuckers.
So far I can't say I'm thrilled by the new story. Having someone to banter with was pretty nifty. Now it feels like a rehash from the first game's plot.

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

First game's plot was okay, though. I mean, the game's entire schtick is 'build and explore underwater while experiencing occasional bouts of claustro/zoophobia'. Plot is kinda optional at that point.

That said, now that the overhauls' done, I might just install and play the thing for the first time.

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

FYI its still bug ridden.
The new pod you crash in, I noticed that the fire wasn't animated.
I walked around it and saw that it was just a static sprite.
Also, I later fell through the world and had to reload a save from 30m before.

I'm still playing it though, new stuff is new stuff.
I haven't heard any interaction between the sisters yet.
I kinda liked the players voice.

OgNar fucked around with this message at 07:38 on May 1, 2020

Iceclaw
Nov 4, 2009

Fa la lanky down dilly, motherfuckers.

OgNar posted:

I haven't heard any interaction between the sisters yet.
I kinda liked the players voice.

That's because the plot changed. Sam isn't in a space station orbiting the planet, she was a researcher on the ground who went MIA and that Alterra declared dead. Robin is looking for her.

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

The Base Control Room is new in BZ isn't it?
I don't remember it before.

Also, just like in my last play of Below Zero, I think i've broken the story again.
Last time in my ever exploring fashion, I think I found things before I should have and could never progress.
I think I have managed to do it again.

Also, when you died previously, did you drop all your items on the ground?
Maybe I never found the stuff before or maybe its new.
But I died right at the docks this time trying to get in my truck.
And when I swam back, I saw all this ore just rolling down to a gully.

I have still found like 6 PDAs that consist solely of TBD as text.

OgNar fucked around with this message at 22:14 on May 1, 2020

zzMisc
Jun 26, 2002

For those who have been playing around with Sub Zero more than I have - is there any kind of compendium of what plot used to be there that was removed or anything? I played through the intro, then found a computer AI that decided my body was the perfect host, then found basically nothing further of interest. Was there further development beyond that I just never saw? Is that AI bit still in, or is that now removed? My gf happened to be watching me play at the time and we both kinda thought it was funny and wanted to know where it was going from there.

If it's still there in the current incarnation of the plotline, then please don't spoil it as I'll play it eventually, but if it's gone now I'd really love to know where it was going.

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!
I think the new story continues off what you did with the robot, just less 'I've been infected with an alien AI but I don't ask my sister in space for help because ??????'

Last time I went down to meet him in the daily version you couldn't do the thing you could in the old story, I assume you can now though.

Comrade Koba
Jul 2, 2007

Ali Aces posted:

For those who have been playing around with Sub Zero more than I have - is there any kind of compendium of what plot used to be there that was removed or anything? I played through the intro, then found a computer AI that decided my body was the perfect host, then found basically nothing further of interest. Was there further development beyond that I just never saw? Is that AI bit still in, or is that now removed?

IIRC they’ve stated that the alien in your head is still in. It definitely isn’t an AI, but that part was also in the scene you played.

For anyone who’s played the latest patch - did they put any of the new story in at all? I crashed the shuttle and found the lifepod, but there weren’t any beacons PDAs or radio transmissions at all after that.

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf
I've only just now picked this up, and it's hard to know where to go. I found this one base really early, but I couldn't scan any of it. I found another on an iceberg, but the door doesn't work-- there isn't even a prompt, so I don't know if it's a bug or what. I've got the sea truck, and the mod station has options to upgrade the Mk1 depth thing to a 2 and then a 3, but I can't actually make a Mk1-- in fact, the only thing the mod station can do is make thermo-knives, which are nice but really a let-down.

That one scene Ali Aces mentioned is still in. Weirdly, it's completely unvoiced. The captions pop up (including stage directions for the voice actors), but no audio at all.

Is there any way to get the sea truck into that one flooded human facility with the vertical shaft, and all those drillable minerals? I get the feeling you're supposed to do it "on-foot", but it's a huge place to explore without an air source.

IMJack
Apr 16, 2003

Royalty is a continuous ripping and tearing motion.

Fun Shoe

Krazyface posted:

Is there any way to get the sea truck into that one flooded human facility with the vertical shaft, and all those drillable minerals? I get the feeling you're supposed to do it "on-foot", but it's a huge place to explore without an air source.

No but you can get a Prawn in there, and there should be most if not all of the Prawn fragments you need in the maintenance bay about halfway into the mine. You could do like I did and bring a spare tank of air on your first delve.

zzMisc
Jun 26, 2002

IMJack posted:

No but you can get a Prawn in there, and there should be most if not all of the Prawn fragments you need in the maintenance bay about halfway into the mine. You could do like I did and bring a spare tank of air on your first delve.

Wait you can just.. make a second tank.. and carry it around and swap it out?

...somehow that never occurred to me before, that's gonna make a lot of things substantially easier.

Comrade Koba
Jul 2, 2007

Krazyface posted:

There is. You need to look for a small cave opening somewhere above that huge door that leads to the mining site. It’ll take you down to the area where the first shaft is.

It’s not easily spotted, so you might have to search the area a couple of times.

GoingPostal
Jun 1, 2015

I love Derek Smart
U love Derek Smart
If we didn't love Derek Smart, we'd be lame

Ali Aces posted:

Wait you can just.. make a second tank.. and carry it around and swap it out?

...somehow that never occurred to me before, that's gonna make a lot of things substantially easier.

Yeah, that blew my mind when I figured it out too. The big think is that you need to keep both tanks refilled. Nothing's quite as fun as swapping to your second tank and remembering you forgot to refill it.

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

The forums are filled with people saying the story is now worse than it was before for Below Zero.
I understand it is early access but poo poo, you don't just rip out most of what story you had and leave people hanging without any direction.

I actually got info to send me to that place Krazyface found on the iceberg.
But it consisted of "Cryptic directions to greenhouse" but had no actual directions, had to look it up on the wiki.
But after reading up, you can't actually get in until an interaction you need to have with a prawn suit on the glacier base with the rocket, that is seemingly non functional now.

While I dont recommend 'not' playing the new update, dont come in expecting a functioning game.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

OgNar posted:

The forums are filled with people saying the story is now worse than it was before for Below Zero.
I understand it is early access but poo poo, you don't just rip out most of what story you had and leave people hanging without any direction.

I actually got info to send me to that place Krazyface found on the iceberg.
But it consisted of "Cryptic directions to greenhouse" but had no actual directions, had to look it up on the wiki.
But after reading up, you can't actually get in until an interaction you need to have with a prawn suit on the glacier base with the rocket, that is seemingly non functional now.

While I dont recommend 'not' playing the new update, dont come in expecting a functioning game.

Sounds like they played the "Directions? Just explore more, I guess." card again for new guidelines. But this could actually be good, in a twisted way... Depending on if they actually realize the mistake they have repeated at least.

Because this time instead of a bunch of people declaring "I found it no problem, so you're just too lazy to explore!" like every time they reduced direction in the main game, the majority of active players are all equally clueless rather than with hundreds of hours worth of foreknowledge skewing their opinions.

So maybe this time around instead of removing or dumbing down hints over time, we'll get some actual first time playthrough polish on them?

Section Z fucked around with this message at 19:12 on May 2, 2020

SynthesisAlpha
Jun 19, 2007
Cyber-Monocle sporting Space Billionaire
The new story is cool for what it is so far. Being a stranded researcher was cool but it didn't make a lot of sense why you wouldn't just gently caress off the planet ASAP. The new reason for getting wet 'n' cold is much more compelling. I mean there's no voice acting beyond the intro sequence and lots of PDAs just say TBD, and there's otherwise almost no direction.

But it's more subnautica and I'm gathering poo poo and building bases and SO MANY THINGS EAT YOU NOW. There are so many more predators and a loving rock butthole with tentacles dragged me in, at 70% of my HP, and spat me back out INTO a swimming bitey guy that swallowed the rest of me.

Also fun bug, I never got the fabricator recipe with the habitat builder! I have to hike back to my lifepod to make anything until I can finish a Seatruck Fabricator. It sucks!

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed
The story has nothing to do with what makes Subnautica a great game, and Below Zero already has enough gameplay elements to be fun, so to me it doesn't matter a whole lot what the story is.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

I didn’t really care about the plot in Subnautica but I did appreciate that it pushed me to explore and the environmental storytelling was great. Love to find wrecks in weird spots with little stories about what happened.

Perpetual
Sep 7, 2007

SynthesisAlpha posted:

Also fun bug, I never got the fabricator recipe with the habitat builder! I have to hike back to my lifepod to make anything until I can finish a Seatruck Fabricator. It sucks!

Fabricator is a scan at the moment, not an automatic recipe. I know there's one you can scan in the new busted mini-base in twisty bridges, and I think the one in the base on rocket island is also valid.

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

I found mine in a small base south of the lifepod, about 110 metres down.

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

So you can build 2 layer big room which allows 2 layer containment. Sadly the containment feels a little too 'clean' without the planter bottom. And its bigger so feels a little more empty. Also, the glass top doesnt really fit well with the containment, but its all new so maybe thats still coming.

I do like being able to color and name the base now through the control room.

Beware the control room has a joystick that lets you use your wasd to move the whole base around in a 3d projection, but doesnt indicate what key to get out of it.
I just started hitting every key out of frustration and got out. Maybe its the tool alt key?
You can also click on a room to disable it in that projection, though the only room you'd need to do that with is the scanner since it has a constant power draw.
But thats why you always have a bio reactor running.

e: it seems if you can drive into the moonpool with a extended truck, it yanks off the cab and will reconnect you on re-entry.
I truthfully though it would just fling me off into the distance and saved before trying.

OgNar fucked around with this message at 23:02 on May 2, 2020

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

Perpetual posted:

Fabricator is a scan at the moment, not an automatic recipe. I know there's one you can scan in the new busted mini-base in twisty bridges, and I think the one in the base on rocket island is also valid.

IMO thats a good design change.

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

Finally unlocked all the truckster modules I could find.

Sadly while I scanned 3 Planter fragments and unlocked it, it doesnt show up on the Mobile Vehicle Bay to be crafted.
About 75 feet long and drives like poo poo with all modules attached and Truck upgrades installed.

Fabricator
Storage
Aquarium (only holds 16 fish?)
Sleeper (with picture frame and jukebox)
Docking

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro

OgNar posted:

Finally unlocked all the truckster modules I could find.

Sadly while I scanned 3 Planter fragments and unlocked it, it doesnt show up on the Mobile Vehicle Bay to be crafted.
About 75 feet long and drives like poo poo with all modules attached and Truck upgrades installed.

Fabricator
Storage
Aquarium (only holds 16 fish?)
Sleeper (with picture frame and jukebox)
Docking

That looks better than I thought it would but Cyclops 4eva. :allears:

Drake_263
Mar 31, 2010
I might consider just going gently caress it and building two, three trucks that I specialize a little. Make them less of a pain in the dick to maneuver and have a backup in case one has a leviathan-related accident.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mike the TV
Jan 14, 2008

Ninety-nine ninety-nine ninety-nine

Pillbug
Can you make an underwater aquarium train with all aquarium modules?