Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
That sounds unfun. :thumbsup:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug
So I just noticed one of the comments on the Trello card requesting a nerf to OP lantern fruits.

quote:

Seems... fixed? changed? Whatever the appropriate word is.

Either way, much better. No longer can I carry four space-peaches and survive a 5 day expedition!

Well, no wonder they wanted it nerfed. They were using fantasy land lantern fruits that will never rot after 5 in game days, instead of rotting in roughly 10 minutes. Nevermind that four fruits is an 8x8 chunk of inventory space or how much food value they have :sigh:

Sushi in Yiddish
Feb 2, 2008

I screwed up and ate the marblemelon instead of planting it. Can't find any more on the floater island. Do I have to just do console commands at this point?

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Sushi in Yiddish posted:

I screwed up and ate the marblemelon instead of planting it. Can't find any more on the floater island. Do I have to just do console commands at this point?

If you've already searched the place and can't find more, then yup, it's console time. On that note, make sure you've scanned BOTH Exterior, and Interior Growbeds before you go.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya
On a related note, is the supply of Marblemelons limited to those initially placed when the game world first spawns? It seems like you can plant them in a growbed, but once you pick them there's nothing left to spawn another.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Paracelsus posted:

On a related note, is the supply of Marblemelons limited to those initially placed when the game world first spawns? It seems like you can plant them in a growbed, but once you pick them there's nothing left to spawn another.

If you have the room, you can shove a grown melon back into a pot or bed, then stab it for seeds.

The bigger issue to worry about is accidentally eating them anyways because you are fumbling between the PDA inventory and the planter inventory.

It's one of the lesser quirks, but oh man I'm getting tired of clicking M1 on something and then having it bust out the inventory grid because it was in line of sight of what I clicked. Entering the hatch to a base, pops open the inventory of a locker if it's close enough. Entering the hatch of an alien containment, pops open the planter grid. Picking a Mellon, pops open the planter grid, etc.

Section Z fucked around with this message at 17:28 on Jul 24, 2016

StrangeAeon
Jul 11, 2011

Had the scare of my life today when a Reaper spawned basically on top of me, right next to the standard entrance to the Aurora engine room.

In retrospect it was a little funny, as I was grappling with a sand shark rear end in a top hat at the time, and all of a sudden the shark stops biting me and swims away as fast as it can. I was like 'wut?' and then 'OHGODNO'

I wish I'd had the presence of mind for a screenshot-- the Reaper's face-horns were actually in my field of view from right behind me, it was that close.

Lonos Oboe
Jun 7, 2014

Turned on today and found this right next to my primary base. As bugs go, it's pretty rad.

scuba school sucks
Aug 30, 2012

The brilliance of my posting illuminates the forums like a jar of shining gold when all around is dark
What are those, giant shelf corals?

Lonos Oboe
Jun 7, 2014
It looks like they are from the mushroom forest. Which is weird because that is where I was coming from. They just go straight into the ground right next to my base. I got lucky that it wasn't damaged. I reloaded and all that is there now is the bits of debris you can make out.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

It's actually the lips of the biggest fish in the game

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

Away all Goats posted:

It's actually the lips of the biggest fish in the game

Your mom

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Whales aren't fish

Solid Poopsnake
Mar 27, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo
Nap Ghost
I picked this up on a whim yesterday, and I'm kicking myself for never having paid attention to it earlier. This game is dope as heck. Work proceeds apace on the Lotan:

Bladderfish and Reginald breeding to port, storage to starboard. I'm not sure where to go next with it, probably something up on the second story where the observatory is now. I haven't progressed much through the game proper, like getting the Seamoth and what-have-you, mostly because I spend all my time looking for quartz.

This poo poo is really tempting me to drop a hundo on a Gear.

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe
So I realized just last week that solar collectors can go underwater. I've been building little islands for them above the water.

<sigh>

Teikanmi
Dec 16, 2006

by R. Guyovich

Solid Poopsnake posted:

I picked this up on a whim yesterday, and I'm kicking myself for never having paid attention to it earlier. This game is dope as heck. Work proceeds apace on the Lotan:

Bladderfish and Reginald breeding to port, storage to starboard. I'm not sure where to go next with it, probably something up on the second story where the observatory is now. I haven't progressed much through the game proper, like getting the Seamoth and what-have-you, mostly because I spend all my time looking for quartz.

This poo poo is really tempting me to drop a hundo on a Gear.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IRsPheErBj8

You're supposed to just do it, not b all jovial about it

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Solid Poopsnake posted:

I'm not sure where to go next with it, probably something up on the second story where the observatory is now.

Not much of an observatory with that poor view. Put some windows on the ends. :colbert:

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.

Hav posted:

So I realized just last week that solar collectors can go underwater. I've been building little islands for them above the water.

<sigh>

But the more water they are under, the less well they work, putting them above water is the reliable way to get the best performance. (and it's just cooler)

Solid Poopsnake
Mar 27, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo
Nap Ghost

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Not much of an observatory with that poor view. Put some windows on the ends. :colbert:

Ok.

Solid Poopsnake fucked around with this message at 19:09 on Jul 28, 2016

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
What are those labels? Do they come from a scanning room (I never built one)?

Also, a random question: is there any useful purpose for the air pipes you can make?

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

WithoutTheFezOn posted:

Equip a frequency. And I think you can pipe in air from the surface with those pipes.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

WithoutTheFezOn posted:

Also, a random question: is there any useful purpose for the air pipes you can make?

Not really. You can use them to pump in air from the surface. I can't think of a use for them besides maybe giving yourself some air at the very beginning of the game in the safe shallows. Other than that, you won't stay in an area long enough to make use of a long air tube and you'll have a submersible anyway.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
Oh the only signals I've seen were "heat source".

And pipe in air to what, your tank directly? Buildings seem to provide their own air somehow.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
It just forms a bubble at the end of the pipe. Sit above the bubble and you get air added to your tanks when it hits you. It works the same way with the bubbles that come out of brain coral.

Solid Poopsnake
Mar 27, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo
Nap Ghost
I hope this is an adequate number of windows.

E: While those particular signs are from signals, you can also craft beacons and leave them places with names attached, to easily find things again. For example, there's a beacon at this base that broadcasts its name. It's suspended on the far side of that rear t-section.

Solid Poopsnake fucked around with this message at 19:38 on Jul 28, 2016

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Solid Poopsnake posted:

I hope this is an adequate number of windows.

E: While those particular signs are from signals, you can also craft beacons and leave them places with names attached, to easily find things again. For example, there's a beacon at this base that broadcasts its name. It's suspended on the far side of that rear t-section.

Almost! Maximum Windows would be also building hatches on the underside of all those glass hallways :pseudo:

Also yeah, crafted beacons are loving sweet. With the way draw distances can be I've actually driven past wrecks and lifepods I wanted to get back to constantly, so I always have a beacon or two on me, and stashed inside my seamoth.

Solid Poopsnake
Mar 27, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo
Nap Ghost
dream the impossible dream

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

Solid Poopsnake posted:

Just how much quartz did that take?!

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Solid Poopsnake posted:

You've got real style :allears: All my base work so far is super boring outside of some token "And this MP room will have three observatories!" :sigh: But I just really like MP towers linked by glass tubes. 5 Tall is exactly enough for a pair of double stack containment tanks with a bio in the middle :buddy:

double nine posted:

Just how much quartz did that take?!

Well, if just the ones in the screenshot got hatches? 24. That's not even enough to fill a wall locker :shepface:

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.

Section Z posted:

Well, if just the ones in the screenshot got hatches? 24. That's not even enough to fill a wall locker :shepface:

Counting the glass corridors though?

128 quartz just for that square section. (including the 24 for hatches, 108 spent on the corridors and the window at the end of that t junction.)

Also two lithium bulkheads to support it. (I see 4 on one tower, that's tons of hull integrity for stuff like this.)

Solid Poopsnake
Mar 27, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo
Nap Ghost
24 is correct, but it made walking those halls a real pain in the tuchus, so I took them out. If you're having trouble finding enough quartz to support your glass habit, the caves in the shallows should have all you need.

So I entered and welded the Aurora, what's next? I'm curious where I can find more Seamoth fragments.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
The blood kelp is filled with quartz. Build a cyclops and a seamoth, park the cyclops above the blood kelp trench and collect with the seamoth.

Solid Poopsnake
Mar 27, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo
Nap Ghost

Cojawfee posted:

The blood kelp is filled with quartz. Build a cyclops and a seamoth, park the cyclops above the blood kelp trench and collect with the seamoth.

You can also do this near the Aurora with a Seaglide, a bunch of extra batteries, two O2 cans, and a lot of patience.

E: And no sooner said than I found two more Seamoth fragments. Yay submersibles!

Teikanmi
Dec 16, 2006

by R. Guyovich

Solid Poopsnake posted:

24 is correct, but it made walking those halls a real pain in the tuchus, so I took them out. If you're having trouble finding enough quartz to support your glass habit, the caves in the shallows should have all you need.

So I entered and welded the Aurora, what's next? I'm curious where I can find more Seamoth fragments.

That's basically the entirety of the story missions in the game. Seamoth fragments are usually nearby the tail section of the Aurora, where the Reapers chill.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.

Solid Poopsnake posted:

You can also do this near the Aurora with a Seaglide, a bunch of extra batteries, two O2 cans, and a lot of patience.

E: And no sooner said than I found two more Seamoth fragments. Yay submersibles!

It's nowhere near the same volume. For example, with the Cyclops and Seamoth (for shooing away pesky reapers/general scuttlebutt) you go to the Crash Site for titanium and all the ingots you need to fully upgrade the dive modules on the cyclops/Seamoth.
IIRC that's somewhere around 300 titanium. (15 plasteel ingots plus a locker or two of titanium, maybe some additional titanium ingots but I forget.) And I only cleaned out the shallow side of the Aurora, I didn't even touch whatever's at the bottom of the sheer falloff on it's south side.

That's how much quartz you can pull from one of the blood kelp zones (and there's TWO zones.)

Edit: Your next step in the story is checking out the signals you've probably picked up from around the Aurora and seeing if they lead you to any abandoned seabases.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Teikanmi posted:

That's basically the entirety of the story missions in the game. Seamoth fragments are usually nearby the tail section of the Aurora, where the Reapers chill.

You can also find Seamoth fragments in the much less deadly (but still deadly) Red Grass Biome.

Captain Scandinaiva
Mar 29, 2010

This game is really addictive. I've set up a base right next to the spiky mountain islands close to the Aurora. Plenty of room for farming and lots of rare metals and other resources. I stumbled upon lots of Cyclops and Moonpool fragments on the outskirts of the Mushroom forest. I've built the Moonpool but I'm holding out on the Cyclops a bit more, so much time has been spent building the new base I feel like I still haven't explored properly.

If you upgrade the Seamoth with the defensive system, does it function in a radius around the Seamoth so you can park it and keep an area safe? There's a wreckage where I need to cut open a door but it's guarded by two Stalkers.

Also, I've been to afraid to try, does depth do damage to yourself? I have the depth upgrade for the Seamoth, if I dive to 300 m and get out will I get squished by the pressure? I got out for a short wile at around 200 m once and the depth indicator was red but it didn't seem to do anything.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

Just for fun I went into creative mode and explored that sheer cliff on the opposite side of the Aurora. Turns out there's nothing there, the cliff just keeps going and going and going until at about 3000m depth you get to very jagged rocky area that seems impossible for the Cyclops to navigate, but if you take the seamoth you can swim through some cracks and go underneath the landmass.

again nothing there but it feels really claustrophobic to be swimming underneath this mass of rock with no exit except by turning back.

Solid Poopsnake
Mar 27, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo
Nap Ghost

Captain Scandinaiva posted:

Also, I've been to afraid to try, does depth do damage to yourself? I have the depth upgrade for the Seamoth, if I dive to 300 m and get out will I get squished by the pressure? I got out for a short wile at around 200 m once and the depth indicator was red but it didn't seem to do anything.

For some reason, your soft, fragile human body is incompressible.

To that end, I am considering building a station below the DSL as soon as I find enough bits and bobs to bring submersibles down there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Captain Scandinaiva posted:

If you upgrade the Seamoth with the defensive system, does it function in a radius around the Seamoth so you can park it and keep an area safe? There's a wreckage where I need to cut open a door but it's guarded by two Stalkers.

The seamoth defensive system doesn't work unless you're in the seamoth using it. However, you can use it offensively; zap the stalkers and they should swim away. Also since they are stalkers you can bring them metal salvage to distract them.

You won't take damage from depth, only your vehicles do. However keep in mind that if you dive below 200 meters without a rebreather you will consume oxygen quicker.