Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro
Relevant:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lntSSu6Ij14&t=592s

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RaySmuckles
Oct 14, 2009

:vapes:
Grimey Drawer
40+ hours into my first ever game. perfectly poised to go into the end game.

save bug. :suicide:

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011

RaySmuckles posted:

40+ hours into my first ever game. perfectly poised to go into the end game.

save bug. :suicide:

For what it's worth, it might not be hosed. I got an error like that too once and somehow restarting subnautica (or the computer, I don't remember exactly) made it load like normal. Worth a try anyway.

RaySmuckles
Oct 14, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Gobblecoque posted:

For what it's worth, it might not be hosed. I got an error like that too once and somehow restarting subnautica (or the computer, I don't remember exactly) made it load like normal. Worth a try anyway.

its on ps4 and its not that i can't load, its that i can't save

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro

RaySmuckles posted:

its on ps4 and its not that i can't load, its that i can't save

IRONMAN RUN GO!!!!

RaySmuckles
Oct 14, 2009

Grimey Drawer
game finished, thankfully. had to kinda bum rush my way through the endgame, but it was fine. fuckin buggy mess, unfortunately. game crashed right before the credits rolled, but i got all the trophies so its all good. my time capsule sucked though.

i'm one trophy short of a plat so i'm wondering if i should load an old save and release the cuddle fish i randomly happened to find an egg for ages ago.

fun game, just the last third was severely tainted for me by bugs.

hopefully their new game will be more stable, cuz the concept is rock solid.

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

They tapdance not, neither do they fart
No one is finished as long as you have a save before the last bit.
So you can build a base in every biome and just go swimming when you need to relax in the shallows.

RaySmuckles
Oct 14, 2009

Grimey Drawer

OgNar posted:

No one is finished as long as you have a save before the last bit.
So you can build a base in every biome and just go swimming when you need to relax in the shallows.

ah, but if you read my previous posts, you'll see i don't have that kind of save because the game glitched out so i've been low powering my game between playthroughs since it won't save

Ceyton
Oct 9, 2004

YOU'RE DEAD ARMITAGE!
YOU'RE DEAD ARMITAGE!
YOU'RE DEAD ARMITAGE!

Subnautica in general is pretty buggy, but it gets a lot worse in the late game. I had to replay a section 4 times because I kept getting stuck in a way that not even console commands could fix.

Loved the game, but that left a really bad taste in my mouth.

RaySmuckles posted:

hopefully their new game will be more stable, cuz the concept is rock solid.

Given that they abandoned Subnautica 1 in the state that it's in, I wouldn't get your hopes up.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
Yea, UWE as a developer has a very poor reputation in terms of engine quality, polish of product, post-release support, etc. Great games, but the company started out as a bunch of modders and it still shows a decade later. You can fully expect them to hit 1.0, ship a few bugfix patches, then walk away from it.

Faffel
Dec 31, 2008

A bouncy little mouse!

Serephina posted:

Yea, UWE as a developer has a very poor reputation in terms of engine quality, polish of product, post-release support, etc. Great games, but the company started out as a bunch of modders and it still shows a decade later. You can fully expect them to hit 1.0, ship a few bugfix patches, then walk away from it.

Their only other major release got years of support though. Pretty sure it even got a major ish patch last year or this year at some point? Said game came out in 2012 too, so. Also Subnautica isn't even on their proprietary engine, this is just Unity poo poo. As buggy as Subnautica is, it seems you need a lot of support from Unity directly to not massively cock up a project of any real scale. See Escape From Tarkov before and after they got a direct pipeline of support from the makers of Unity.

FURTHERMORE, I had a (noticable) bug-free run start to finish so it works on my computer. :smug:

Faffel fucked around with this message at 00:23 on Oct 12, 2020

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
They dropped support for an entire OS in a multiplayer-only game.

That's not a very dramatic sentence and I don't know how to flash it up, but trust me when you go from playing a game daily and supporting the community to being told "Meh? Go bother someone else, and no, no refunds" it kinda sticks with you.

Xik
Mar 10, 2011

Dinosaur Gum
They're the Bethesda of indie studios.

The best thing that could happen to the studio is to be acquired by Ubisoft or something so we can get a AAA Subnautica sequel with the polish of Far Cry/rear end Creed engines.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Probably doesn't help that Subnautica's development was all over the place; they started out going for a sandbox game with terraforming and procedural generation iirc and ended up changing course mid-development.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
And good on them for realizing poo poo wasn't working. A whole lot like what's going on in Below Zero.

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed
There is probably only so much that you can do without starting over with a whole new engine. After all the time in early access, they just wanted to do something new and not wrangle with the old buggy stuff.

Drewsky
Dec 29, 2010

Zesty posted:

And good on them for realizing poo poo wasn't working. A whole lot like what's going on in Below Zero.

What’s the similar situation in Below Zero?

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Drewsky posted:

What’s the similar situation in Below Zero?

They threw the entire story out and started over. Hell I think they've done it twice now.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro
IIRC the lead writer quit and they had to completely redo the story. And as has been mentioned, the story has already been scrapped and rebuilt once.

Don't watch the sausage get made, friends...

Plek
Jul 30, 2009
Yeah I don't get the UWE hate I hear sometimes, they're a dinky little studio doing fairly ambitious projects that have some weird bugs. I am one of the folks with an almost bug free run on Subnautica so I haven't had the negative experiences others have had, but Bethesda level of suck they are not.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

Xik posted:

They're the Bethesda of indie studios.

The best thing that could happen to the studio is to be acquired by Ubisoft or something so we can get a AAA Subnautica sequel with the polish of Far Cry/rear end Creed engines.

Can't wait to purchase the Seamoth DLC and collect 40 leviathan hides for my next depth module.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Plek posted:

Yeah I don't get the UWE hate I hear sometimes, they're a dinky little studio doing fairly ambitious projects that have some weird bugs. I am one of the folks with an almost bug free run on Subnautica so I haven't had the negative experiences others have had, but Bethesda level of suck they are not.

my experience with subnautica was the buggiest gaming experience i have ever had in my entire life and it completely soured me on the game. it was way, way the gently caress worse than the experiences i have had with any bethesda game around launch.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Plek posted:

Same here but like, you still hear people fussing about how buggy New Vegas was because it launched buggy, despite being fixed in short order, and despite never encountering any of those bugs myself. Hell, even Bethesda Buggy stopped meaning very much to me past Xbox Morrowind.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー

Khanstant posted:

Same here but like, you still hear people fussing about how buggy New Vegas was because it launched buggy, despite being fixed in short order, [...]

My FNV experience was trying the game out last year, and quitting about 20 minutes in after everyone had no hair and a blue box was popping up whenever I aimed. Some reputations are earned.

Faffel
Dec 31, 2008

A bouncy little mouse!

Serephina posted:

My FNV experience was trying the game out last year, and quitting about 20 minutes in after everyone had no hair and a blue box was popping up whenever I aimed. Some reputations are earned.

Your install was obviously broken lol.

Gamebryo engine is so far beyond any other badness in videogames that it can't be overstated though. I need to replay Subnautica and see if I get any crazy bugs cuz the worst thing I ever got was fish inside my base.

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

I got the, "there's now gravity underwater, you are not swimming" bug, that was something else.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro

Faffel posted:

Your install was obviously broken lol.

Gamebryo engine is so far beyond any other badness in videogames that it can't be overstated though. I need to replay Subnautica and see if I get any crazy bugs cuz the worst thing I ever got was fish inside my base.

Yeah, I was lucky. One time a wall in the Lost River didn't load and I got out into the level's nullspace, but I made it back so it was fine. :shrug:

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ
Being attacked by flying bonesharks in dry undersea caves took me out of the experience somewhat

As did losing a bunch of progress because my prawn suit docked in the cyclops but wouldn't let me get out or undock

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

I got flung out of the map to my death like 6 times in Lost River. The game really did not like where I put my base

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

my glitches included falling out of the map multiple times, falling out of the cyclops multiple times, getting stuck in geometry after it drew in while i was already inside of it multiple times, i made a save once after a 6 hour session that decided to not actually save and i had to redo all that poo poo again (including packing up and moving my base from grand reef to lost river), i also had what the gently caress ever this poo poo is happen:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ovHSLLNYv8Q

which never fixed itself so i had to deal with it for the rest of my playthrough (not shown is how this invisible object made the cyclops glitchy as gently caress, i guess since the object had collision it made the cyclops randomly flip the gently caress out).

i cannot overemphasize how much the bugginess ruined subnautica for me.

Comrade Koba
Jul 2, 2007

The issue isn’t the bugginess, it’s that many of the game-breaking bugs were thoroughly documented and pointed out by the players long before the game even left beta, but UWE apparently just went “lol, nah” and the bugs are still there literal years later.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Comrade Koba posted:

The issue isn’t the bugginess, it’s that many of the game-breaking bugs were thoroughly documented and pointed out by the players long before the game even left beta, but UWE apparently just went “lol, nah” and the bugs are still there literal years later.

I can understand people feeling that the Successes and strengths of Subnautica are very much in spite of the dev team. Who spent years poo poo talking anyone worried they wouldn't fix any number of things because they are veterans of the industry, eventually turning into "Well EVERYONE knows it's literally impossible to fix that in Unity!"

Particularly when they would spend dev time doing things like tearing out the realtime exact energy readout of the engine room and replace it with redundant icons of the modules installed. After it was used to prove "No you guys, the thermal module is STILL bugged to take over 300 minutes while parked over lava to refill ion cells, rounded down. Which makes me wonder why there are players shouting 'if anything I feel it's still TOO op and too fast after the patch made it better! ". But hey, at least they finally fixed that bug in the process :v:

I love the game, but good lord I would not suggest it except on sale and with reminders to regularly back up save files. Because the good stuff is great, but the flaws have a way of going from zero for countless hours, to maximum :stare: if you are not one of those fortunate enough to never see them.

EDIT: Anyone else remember that stretch of time before they shrunk save folders down from 2-4 gigs in size, but after they added the game making a temporary duplicate of your entire gigs worth of saves folder to your OS drive. Discovered when it bugged out and failed to quietly erase itself and causing the question "Why am I missing a couple gigs from C?" :doh: Also answering the question of why some people had their game freeze when loading their save for the first time in a session.

I still wonder why they didn't wait until they got save files down to a reasonable size before implementing that.

Section Z fucked around with this message at 06:19 on Oct 13, 2020

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Kind of a weird case in that either you encounter forty zillion bugs or barely any, it seems like.

HiKaizer
Feb 2, 2012

Yes!
I finally understand everything there is to know about axes!
I have been fortunate that I only encountered weird bugs when playing with mods when I came back and played the game for real. But I was there in EA and I can definitely understand there are bugs that can frustrate people's experiences with the game.

Aoi
Sep 12, 2017

Perpetually a Pain.
Honestly, the only really vexing bugs I've run into, having started playing in, like, february of 2019, have been getting teleported out of the cyclops while staying in land-walking mode, due to ocean currents moving it around while I'm walking inside it/standing inside it, or something like that, and that only really happened in a few spots in the game (the bulb zone was particularly bad about it).

And even there, it's fairly easy to solve with the console warping me a few meters ahead to put me back into swimming mode.

But yeah, it seems like it's pure personal luck whether you run into virtually no bugs or a mountain of them, and I can see how people dealing with the latter wouldn't have much fun.

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."
A game breaking bug I've never seen posted anywhere else is that if you breed a gasopod and release it outside your base, after a while you'll stop being able to interact with anything in the area and either have to revert the save somehow or find a way to kill it. I spent hours rescuing a 40 hour save by constructing another seamoth far away from the base so I could come back into the area and ram the thing to death.

That's kind of a fringe case though and relatively forgivable. Stuff like "walking on land is always terrible" is harder to overlook, especially when you're in a prawn suit in any of the alien areas and having to grapple your way around because you keep getting stuck in doorways.

RaySmuckles
Oct 14, 2009

Grimey Drawer
the worst thing about the bugs is that the games is such a solid concept but is held back so obviously by performance.

Ebola Dog
Apr 3, 2011

Dinosaurs are directly related to turtles!

NoEyedSquareGuy posted:

A game breaking bug I've never seen posted anywhere else is that if you breed a gasopod and release it outside your base, after a while you'll stop being able to interact with anything in the area and either have to revert the save somehow or find a way to kill it. I spent hours rescuing a 40 hour save by constructing another seamoth far away from the base so I could come back into the area and ram the thing to death.

That's kind of a fringe case though and relatively forgivable. Stuff like "walking on land is always terrible" is harder to overlook, especially when you're in a prawn suit in any of the alien areas and having to grapple your way around because you keep getting stuck in doorways.

The most irritating bug I ran into was with the prawn suit in the alien bases at the end of the game. You are clearly supposed to take the prawn into the bases as their is even a mining node for it but any slope had a high chance of bugging the prawn out and rendering it immobile, even the grapple wouldn't get it moving again. When you got out of the stuck prawn you would also be a half height or partly sunk in the floor. The only way I got it moving again was cheating in a repulsion gun to knock it free.

Aoi
Sep 12, 2017

Perpetually a Pain.

NoEyedSquareGuy posted:

On this note, while piloting a PRAWN suit, never try to use the gravity elevator in the alien base.

Jumping down it just does *not* turn out well.

You can feel free to walk into it if you're at the bottom, it just won't do anything, but coming down from above is, uh, bad news.

Aoi fucked around with this message at 10:56 on Oct 13, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Just Offscreen
Jun 29, 2006

We must hope that our current selves will one day step aside to make room for better versions of us.
Yeah theres a lot to love about the game but you have to be willing to work past some poo poo.

Like look at my own posts- I got killed when a sea dragon killed me through a wall without even seeing it.

On iron man mode.