Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ethics_Gradient
May 5, 2015

Common misconception that; that fun is relaxing. If it is, you're not doing it right.

Laughing Zealot posted:

Coming from the original to BZ I'm baffled by how rare table coral is.

I'm not too mad about it - it was common enough that it barely needed to even be in the first game, just felt like an afterthought. Making it a bit more rare (not obnoxiously so) was probably a decent balancing move.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
Common crafting ingredients for exotic stuff is fine! As long as there's a choke point in the recepie *somewhere*, let there be 500 common herbs and spices to make the world more lively. Its kind of like when I was hoarding acidic mushrooms, since "I might need them later!". Quickly got disabused of that notion, abundancy is nice.

Laughing Zealot
Oct 10, 2012

Another thing regarding the coral in the original is that it is similar to the kelp forests in that it is a big part of the environmental design. Despite being the same thing for all intents and purpose in BZ it's treated more like minerals, just single things placed randomly. Once you know just where and what to look for this isn't game breaking, but it feels like a step backwards.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Laughing Zealot posted:

Another thing regarding the coral in the original is that it is similar to the kelp forests in that it is a big part of the environmental design. Despite being the same thing for all intents and purpose in BZ it's treated more like minerals, just single things placed randomly. Once you know just where and what to look for this isn't game breaking, but it feels like a step backwards.
It helps to remember that this is the fanbase that demanded lantern fruits be nerfed in the base game even back when they made you vomit blood because "It's free food!", but superior Melons got a pass because you had to risk carving a hole in your titanium hallways with your pocket knife harvesting seeds to clickspam through more UI windows replanting them.

Also probably why the 15 minute realtime cycle slightly bigger bottle machine put a dent in a nuclear reactor all by itself, when we could source infinity instant bottles of pure water from respawning fish in our zero power drain alien containment tanks with a single solar panel to run the replicator easily.

One saves you button presses and a little bit of time, the other you have to click more buttons but isn't any harder. More mild inconvenience = more gameplay time.

Section Z fucked around with this message at 16:51 on Jan 18, 2021

Laughing Zealot
Oct 10, 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W2gWMKDFiv0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3ubI4mhv5u0

Didn't expect to love the jukebox.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!

Section Z posted:

even back when they made you vomit blood

what

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug
Yeah for a large span of the early access period if you ate too much food in a row in like, a minute? Then even if it was bags of chips from a vending machine, you would vomit blood. Lose a bunch of meter in the process.

This isn't as hardcore survival management as it sounds because the default food types like bladderfish or bleach based water bottles, or cooked fish, which would max you out before you could ever trigger it.

So you would only really notice it trying to max out a low meter in a hurry with weaker foods, like the lantern fruit tree. You were less likely to have it trigger with Melons because those were (and still are) stronger.

But because tree fruit caused "But you don't even have to replant it! That is too casual" outrage in this game with several sources of easy infinite food and water (I love the heat knife, hop out of the prawn and stab a fish for an instant high value meal), it was nerfed down to around 5 food value, before bringing it up to it's current 10.

This mindset is also why you now don't get a stillsuit on average until it is about time to wear the reinforced suit instead so you don't boil alive repairing your prawn suit or cyclops in lava land with a bunch of spare water bottles in your prawn backpack, or a marble melon patch in your cyclops. It used to be much earlier, but they kept shoving it further back into the tech tree. Not making the game any harder, just increasing the amount of button presses on average for snack time.

Could be worse. They could have kept the experimental change that deletes items made on the replicator on a missclick, alongside increased crafting times.

Subnautica and it's development was such a wild ride. Overall it is still probably one of the easiest survival games of all time (When the bugs are not ruining your day), but it is full of tweaks and changes like that convinced it is for the sake of hardcore survival simulation.

Section Z fucked around with this message at 21:25 on Jan 24, 2021

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
Don’t play this game with hunger/thirst. They don’t add anything worthwhile.

It’s a problem until an hour in when it’s not, and then it’s just a stupid chore and takes up a couple inventory slots.

Laughing Zealot
Oct 10, 2012

On the subject of accessibility...the highlight interact-able setting is a game changer. No more hiding from me, you drat camouflaging mineral!

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Laughing Zealot posted:

On the subject of accessibility...the highlight interact-able setting is a game changer. No more hiding from me, you drat camouflaging mineral!

It’s such a small thing, and I loving loved it.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Laughing Zealot posted:

the highlight interact-able setting

THE WHAT

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Below Zero, Accessibility settings :)

Laughing Zealot
Oct 10, 2012

BEHOLD!

Mason Dixon
Jul 28, 2001

Crimson Butterfly

That might end up being a bigger spoiler for me than any of the actual plot. That's very welcome.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Holy moly.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

It’s a serious game-changed :dadjoke:

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

Reactor: Online
Sensors: Online
Weapons: Online

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL
What the gently caress

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

They tapdance not, neither do they fart
Yeah, too bad its not it the first one, would be useful for quartz searching in red grass.

Duodecimal
Dec 28, 2012

Still stupid

OgNar posted:

Yeah, too bad its not it the first one, would be useful for quartz searching in red grass.

Do that at night.

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!
It's extremely well done, it should be on by default.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

OgNar posted:

Shale nodes were the worst. Always had to run a scanner room for those.

Laughing Zealot
Oct 10, 2012

Late game Below Zero spoilers:

I kinda feel sorry for the artist team that worked on the shadow leviathan because while the design is really cool and creepy it gets dragged down by the loving things being all over the end game biomes and insanely aggressive, in the end making them more annoying than scary.

Beefeater1980
Sep 12, 2008

My God, it's full of Horatios!

That said it’s so satisfying (end game spoiler kinda) when you finally get to zap the fucker when he comes in for a snack.

yook
Mar 11, 2001

YES, CLIFFORD THE BIG RED DOG IS ABSOLUTELY A KAIJU
Yeah, that seemed like an over-correction from the original game.

With the original game, most of the fear drains out of the leviathans once you realize the game pulls its punches a lot. Unless you're near death already they won't kill you immediately, they will back off after attacking once and usually you can juke or ourtrun them.
The leviathans in below zero are incredibly aggressive in general compared to the original. The Chelicerate will ignore the yelling Cryposuchus nearby and dive into cracks after you instead. The ice worm will knock you off the snowfox 4+ times crossing a single room until you find the upgrade.

The shadow leviathan is a bit egregious since they don't have protruding mouths like the Chelicerate and their area is full of broken up crystals that should provide plenty of hiding space, so not only does it seem to always detect you but it can pull you out of gaps it should have no realistic way of getting to. They just heavily abuse that leviathans are able to partially clip through terrain and any form of contact counts as getting grabbed. If it can bump you with the tip of its shovel head, it means you're now in its mouth getting chewed on.

Especially with the end area being a lot of red crystals with little/no ways to hide and needing to hunt around for the last architect fragment means getting grabbed a ton. I don't think that area is reasonably clearable without foreknowledge or the perimeter defense weapon, but said weapon is so overpowered the leviathan just becomes a jarring constant annoyance. They really needed to be easier to avoid in general along with the perimeter defense nerfed so it doesn't trivialize them.

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

They tapdance not, neither do they fart
Got bored with what I was playing and did yet another run though of Subnautica this weekend.
I think i've been bugged differently every time i've taken the Prawn suit into the final area.
This time I couldn't walk and had to travel everywhere by grapple.
Good times.

Even though I pretty much know where everything is, I still seem to miss out on stuff.
This run I never unlocked the reactor for the base.
Last time I never found a beacon.
Still though, this is one game that I can just restart over and over and still enjoy it.

Just need them to finish up BZ.

DrDraxium
Dec 2, 2002

Plz state the nature of the medical emergency
The wait for BZ is killing me slowly.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
https://thumbs.gfycat.com/OrneryEvergreenHog-mobile.mp4

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Wow, nature is so beautiful

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008
There's pretty good comic timing with the Gasopod swimming along fine for 1 second before the physics engine catches up.

Whorelord
May 1, 2013

Jump into the well...

drat, I uninstalled this game at some point and the game's deleted my save file where I'd completed the story now that I've reinstalled it. RIP my comfy giant base in the Mushroom Forest and my multiple Cuddlefish.

LionYeti
Oct 12, 2008

DrDraxium posted:

The wait for BZ is killing me slowly.

The BZ Early Access version now is almost the whole game except for the end.

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...
I had foolishly assumed the price bump was somehow tangentially related to letting me see the fully-voiced finale? How silly.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

Original game question- does building a base right in the middle of a Reaper spawn mean it never comes back later?

I built a big condo highrise on the far side of the Aurora wreck, dodging the Reaper the whole time, and went to all that trouble of putting windows in just to see him pissed off and now he never comes.

Geodude
Mar 21, 2004

Geodude used Reply to Thread! It's super effective!
They shouldn't just disappear?

In my experience, they don't aggro your base much, but they will watch for anything leaving. And if they happen to swim around in a loop and knock into your base, it will definitely get damaged. Hearing reaper screams in the distance is horrible.

But I do preface it by saying "in my experience" since there's no rhyme or reason with the amount of bugs.

I had a base in the dunes that was juuuuust close enough to a reaper patrol that some days he'd be gone and I'd forget they patrol, and others I'd have to wait around before picking from my water planter crops and getting into the seamoth.

Also, I keep rushing back to this thread every new post in the hopes to see a "BZ IS FINAL" post :( .

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

A fishperson in an intimidating hat!

GD_American posted:

Original game question- does building a base right in the middle of a Reaper spawn mean it never comes back later?

I built a big condo highrise on the far side of the Aurora wreck, dodging the Reaper the whole time, and went to all that trouble of putting windows in just to see him pissed off and now he never comes.

Probably swam into the terrain and can't get out

e: maybe hosed off to be the surprise Safe Shallows Reaper for someone else's game

Laughing Zealot
Oct 10, 2012

LonsomeSon posted:

Probably swam into the terrain and can't get out

e: maybe hosed off to be the surprise Safe Shallows Reaper for someone else's game

I'm not much for fighting the reapers but the one that pulled that stunt made me quickly reconsider it. I was really sad that the corpse despawned, would have been a cool landmark.

Laughing Zealot
Oct 10, 2012

One lukewarm at best take I have about BZ is that the Ice worms should have been axed outright. The concept doesn't fit the relatively small areas that take place above ground and the execution is a joke.

Dyz
Dec 10, 2010
But what if Dune but snow?

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Being social makes me swell!
That's Frostpunk

The coal must flow.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aoi
Sep 12, 2017

Perpetually a Pain.

Laughing Zealot posted:

One lukewarm at best take I have about BZ is that the Ice worms should have been axed outright. The concept doesn't fit the relatively small areas that take place above ground and the execution is a joke.

They're the only critter in either game to just make me go all :| and just 'ok, fine. yeah. got me again. ok. even though I'm using the snowfox jump. ok. well. used another first aid. whatever. can't leave yet. fun. woo.' rather than...excitement, or fear, or fascination, or...anything. They aren't even really a creature, they're a special effect, you can't interact with them, can't run from them, and, at least, on the build I used, couldn't even use the thumpers to effectively distract them. They suck, and I can't say that about anything else in either game, even warpers, as frustrating as they could be, you had an emotional response to them, beyond resigned acceptance.