Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー

Ambaire posted:

:saddowns:
I'm deeply sorry that some of you seem to hate Breathedge and the narrator. It's my favorite game ever and I love the irreverent humor and the suit AI is my best buddy. Condom oxygen balloons? Hell yes. Fart propulsion? Hell even more yes.
[...]
Edit 2: Loaded a Normandy save to see what comes after for myself. This is... I don't know what this is, but the game is complete garbage now.
Early access version was good and fun. Release Breathedge is .. don't bother playing this crap.

That is the fastest turnaround from a game's apologist I've ever seen, you got a good hearty laugh from me. Care to spoil what made it garbage for those of us who won't play the game but have morbid curiosity?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler

Serephina posted:

That is the fastest turnaround from a game's apologist I've ever seen, you got a good hearty laugh from me. Care to spoil what made it garbage for those of us who won't play the game but have morbid curiosity?

So, activating the Normandy makes it warp to the liner's core area, and after a good gratuitous 2 minute long slowboat to a docking area, I was greeted by this 'malfunctioning' diagnostic AI that makes overt sexual references complete with moaning and sound effects to removing some glass enclosed rose rod jammed into its console. About 30 seconds into its spiel I just alt+f4'ed...

Wrr
Aug 8, 2010

Sounds about right from what I played.

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

Ambaire posted:

:saddowns:
I'm deeply sorry that some of you seem to hate Breathedge and the narrator. It's my favorite game ever and I love the irreverent humor and the suit AI is my best buddy. Condom oxygen balloons? Hell yes. Fart propulsion? Hell even more yes.

Regarding tools, you can get an upgraded handy scrapper fairly quickly (past the first area, once the radiation lowers, you can scan it in an engineering shuttle near the glowing areas) and there's also an infinite durability version later on. The other stuff is mostly cost-benefit deals where you trade the resources for the tool for its durability in aluminum or alkali or resin or rubber, etc,. and you really don't need much.

The deployable oxygen generators are very useful for scavenging an area.

Edit: hmm. I hadn't actually launched the game since the release; my last experience was with the Early Access version. Seems they've changed a few things... different music after exiting the starting area for the first time, different warning sounds; and checking the Steam discussions, apparently the post-Normandy sections are totally different and on rails from what came before.

Now I'm regretting not backing up the EA version somewhere.

Edit 2: Loaded a Normandy save to see what comes after for myself. This is... I don't know what this is, but the game is complete garbage now.

Early access version was good and fun. Release Breathedge is .. don't bother playing this crap.

this post was a real roller coaster ride

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...

OgNar posted:

There is an actual invisible wall at some point, but unknown how much past that, or even if they are adding more middle stuff.

I disagree that it's an "invisible wall." Like, "invisible vestibule" maybe? There's a 'natural' spot to put the invisible wall, but they really wanted to make sure players didn't think it was just the walking-janky-garbage-collision so they blocked off 10 feet in front of the 'wall'.

Nukelear v.2
Jun 25, 2004
My optional title text

Wrr posted:

I want a new dungeon keeper so badly and I got Dungeons 3 free from epic or humble bundle or somewhere. Played the first mission and, yeah, I just can't do it. Its heartbreaking.

Keep an eye out for Evil Genius 2, comes out next month. It's basically Dungeon Keeper but with a James Bond villian scheme. The original was super fun so I'm psyched to see it make a comeback and maybe do a good job of it.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

Nukelear v.2 posted:

Keep an eye out for Evil Genius 2, comes out next month. It's basically Dungeon Keeper but with a James Bond villian scheme. The original was super fun so I'm psyched to see it make a comeback and maybe do a good job of it.

I too am looking forward to Evil Genius 2. The first one was a lot of fun.

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Being social makes me swell!

Wrr posted:

I assure you I absolutely cannot just ignore the voice-overs, unless there is a separate volume slider for VO. I thought I was tough and brave but Borderlands 3 disabused me of that notion.

Aaaah! That's the term I was looking for! It's Reddit humour!

PDP-1
Oct 12, 2004

It's a beautiful day in the neighborhood.
I didn't think the BZ trailer was too spoilery but I've intentionally avoided pretty much all pre-release BZ info up to now so if something really was a big spoiler I didn't catch the significance of it.

Captain Monkey posted:

Lol if anyone didn’t immediately notice the fake space subnautica was going to be awful when they made a big point about ‘your immortal chicken sidekick!’

I was so interested for about 7 seconds into the trailer and I’ve never had my interest in a game drop off so fast.

I wonder how much that trailer cost them in sales. I pretty much had my credit card out when I heard "Subnautica In Space" but put it back in my wallet about mid way through the video.

Judging from the reactions in this thread they should have shown it to a test audience of about 10 likely fans and taken notes when 8 of them didn't want to play the game anymore afterward.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
That game is trying SO HARD to get sales via "Subnautica in space" marketing, which you see all over the positive reviews. And then you check the negative reviews...

quote:

Initially looks like a great crafting game, like "subnautica in space". And then you keep getting asked to make things out of urine, improve your speed with farts, and to make "crap imposed by developers" which turns out to be a giant dildo. On completion you're asked if you want to "install" that dildo.

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Guy's got massive repression issues if he think that looks phallic.

..btt
Mar 26, 2008

Zesty posted:

That game is trying SO HARD to get sales via "Subnautica in space" marketing, which you see all over the positive reviews. And then you check the negative reviews...

Yeah, if that kind of puerile thing irritates you, definitely don't play the game.

I played through the new content last night myself, and I enjoyed it for what it was, but it's a pretty strange choice to give you base building so far into the game, then a few hours later effectively render it pointless. Though ironically, this is how I usually play Subnautica - build a base to get tech'd up, then build a cyclops and abandon it. The later sections aren't really on-rails, besides some scripted events and a fairly lengthy sequence at the very end, but it doesn't feel much like the early game at all.

I think the devs lacked a good vision, which is a shame because with a few tweaks it could have been pretty good. There are some bizarre design decisions. Like there are a number of corridors that just weave back and forth in a very small area, that you have to walk down several times. Why? This adds nothing to the game other than 2-3 minutes of tedium, and could trivially be replaced by a much shorter, direct corridor. I think the early access process didn't work well at all here, there are palpable breaks in gameplay style for each of the big content releases they did.

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

They tapdance not, neither do they fart
I never really used the Cyclops for anything other than transportation of the Prawn suit.
Last few times i've even considered just using the prawn suit to travel down alone instead of banging sides all the way.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

I grabbed a mod that lets the Cyclops strafe, and that was a huge QoL improvement on its own for driving through the Lost River and other tight spots.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!
I put lockers over every square inch of wall on the Cyclops and went about collecting a locker full of everything in the game.

I thought about making a base that extended from the lifepod all the way down to the final alien base, so that you could literally just walk the entire way, but figured the game would choke on it.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

I take the cyclops everywhere because of the horn. Also I love its voice.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

Bad Munki posted:

I take the cyclops everywhere because of the horn. Also I love its voice.

:hmmyes:

*leviathan roars*

*honk tauntingly as I lumber away*

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Leaving base? HONK

Returning home? HONK

Surfacing? HONK

Diving? HONK

Throttle up? HONK

Throttle down? HONK

Turning left? HONK

HONKing? HONK

Laughing Zealot
Oct 10, 2012

Everything about the Cyclops is great/perfect. It's issues are mainly the environment not really being designed around it.

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

OgNar posted:

I never really used the Cyclops for anything other than transportation of the Prawn suit.
Last few times i've even considered just using the prawn suit to travel down alone instead of banging sides all the way.

Pretty much. I'll also use it to haul all the lead and titanium I need to construct my enormous evil underwater lair with ghost tree observatory.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Laughing Zealot posted:

Everything about the Cyclops is great/perfect. It's issues are mainly the environment not really being designed around it.

It sure would be nice if it could turn upwards and downwards without having to smoosh up against a wall to lever yourself against in order to not try to go directly down with the greatest possible surface area impacting whatever may be in the way.

Or if it had a floorplan where you could more naturally put in a bed without the headboard sticking out too much.

Or if you could dock directly with your base instead of having to fumble around batteries.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

I’ll absolutely agree that some sort of docking coupler would have been awesome. Let it drain a base’s power to charge itself, and let me walk into my base.

Xik
Mar 10, 2011

Dinosaur Gum

quote:

Subnautica Below Zero is coming to PlayStation, Xbox, and Nintendo Switch

I'm not even willing to give the team the benefit of the doubt for a Switch port. If it's anything less then a garbage cash grab that looks and runs like poo poo I will be completely shocked.

Omnicarus
Jan 16, 2006

Zesty posted:

I've got to say I've never seen such a jarring mismatch between art style and genre and the audio and writing of a game. The game looks quite good and plays ok, though it feels like the gameplay is from a 2009 survival game. The writing and audio, dear god, it is genuinely awful to a point that it overwhelms any positives. The audio quality is bad, and the audio design is somehow worse. The art style and presentation don't match at all, with the style being gritty and the audio being a mix of psychedelic rock and with the music's bass being plagued by static like it was mixed on the wrong settings.

The writing can be much more succinctly summarized. The game has a character named Mr. Libtard.

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

See, I don't mind that humour if it's done well.

But it wasn't done well at all.

Sailor Dave
Sep 19, 2013
I was already wary of Breathedge when it says outright on the store page that it's "ironic" humor, and that just made me think of the terrible jokes in Journey to the Savage Planet, so I wasn't expecting much going in. Then a couple of hours in, I see this.

At first I thought maybe this was some sort of commentary on corporations using LGBTQ+ stuff as a vehicle to appeal to people and sell junk or something, but going by the tone of the game so far and what I've read elsewhere, I think they were 100% genuine about being shitheads. Not even going to bother with the rest of this, and the gameplay was poo poo and repetitive anyway with it being way too easy to over-explore and softlock yourself into running out of resources if you don't know exactly where you're going. Pass.

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

I am the coolest person ever with my pirate chalice. Seriously.

Dinosaur Gum
There's a 2.something GB update from 25 Feb that I'm getting right now. Is it complete or ???
edit: from the patch notes "To our amazing adventurers, we are nearing the end. This update marks our final major update. While we have added a complete story, the finale will remain hidden until release to keep the mystery alive. "

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

They tapdance not, neither do they fart

redreader posted:

There's a 2.something GB update from 25 Feb that I'm getting right now. Is it complete or ???
edit: from the patch notes "To our amazing adventurers, we are nearing the end. This update marks our final major update. While we have added a complete story, the finale will remain hidden until release to keep the mystery alive. "

Its my understanding that we are now at ver 1.0.
Though the end is still cut off, it is essentially finished.
At least until may.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
Wait until May so you don't get an unfinished and unpolished experience. They aren't waiting an extra 3 months for nothing.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

Zesty posted:

Wait until May so you don't get an unfinished and unpolished experience. They aren't waiting an extra 3 months for nothing.

Heh, if it's anything like the original I'm still expecting tons of bugs.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
We raise a solemn toast to those who purchase on launch day, those brave souls who suffer the slings, arrows, and bugs of a 1.0 product.

I'll be buying at least a few months down the line, I've got my plate full enough.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?
I bought the game two years ago because I knew I'd buy it eventually and it was cheaper then. Still haven't installed it though, and probably won't until at least version 1.02 so they can patch the major launch bugs and whatever bugs the rushed launch patch inevitably brings.

Ethics_Gradient
May 5, 2015

Common misconception that; that fun is relaxing. If it is, you're not doing it right.
There are actually very few bugs in the game now

f#a#
Sep 6, 2004

I can't promise it will live up to the hype, but I tried my best.

Xik posted:

I'm not even willing to give the team the benefit of the doubt for a Switch port. If it's anything less then a garbage cash grab that looks and runs like poo poo I will be completely shocked.

i mean, Hitman 3 on Switch just streams from the cloud...

...but lol at Unknown Worlds running servers or paying up for that

Jagged Jim
Sep 26, 2013

I... I can only look though the window...

OgNar posted:

Its my understanding that we are now at ver 1.0.
Though the end is still cut off, it is essentially finished.
At least until may.

Yeah, sounds like they're feature complete and are just using the time until 1.0 to squash bugs.

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

Ethics_Gradient posted:

There are actually very few bugs in the game now

I'm having a mostly fun bug with the new large room base pieces where normal fish are able to float through my base at will. I've always had the bug where the decal fish float through but this is the real, interactable fish so I can be crafting something, spin around to snatch a peeper or three out of the air and go back to crafting. It was less fun when a brute shark got halfway in and started eating me but that's only happened the once.

e: I've also twice been able to use the booster air tank to superman fly inside my base when it's not flooded which on the scale of Subnautica bugs falls firmly into the fun camp.

AllisonByProxy
Feb 24, 2006

FUCK TERFS/BLM/ACAB

Xik posted:

Here's the devs doing a Q&A over footage of the switch port. Looks shockingly good actually.

https://twitch.tv/videos/902376570

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

Would be kinda funny if it was less buggy because they had to focus on porting it to a less powerful system.

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

Omnicarus posted:

The writing can be much more succinctly summarized. The game has a character named Mr. Libtard.

Literally the thing that made me request a refund on the game. The humor was, as mentioned before, rather juvenile, but just Kept On Getting Worse.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
Now that most of the story is out I played through below zero again. I thought I could finish it but the invis wall stopped me in the end.

My biggest complaint is that they removed the cyclops from the game because people couldn't drive it and then they added a seatruck and made the game have even smaller areas underwater to explore. If someone couldn't drive the cyclops in subnauticas huge rear end caverns they are gonna have mega problems with the seatruck.

Seatruck is meh, compartments for it are meh.

The open land portion of this game is still really bad. Back in the earlier access the snowfox areas were really weak and they hardly improved them. I haven't seen the ice worm until now and that area is a complete boring nightmare. And you can completely cheese it with the prawn because the ice worm cant touch the prawn. I think the worst part is that it blizzards every minute and you can no longer see where your going.

End game area is really trying to be the next lost river but falls really short and the final end game area is pretty boring to the lava zone.

I like the talking protaganist but there are some gaps that happen in the story. I had to look up where the ice worm area was as I missed any conversation that led me to the bridge. I actually jumped across the bridge when I first got there with the prawn to go to the first alien artifact next to the bridge. Really you could skip all of the snowfox stuff with the prawn too, its just a better land vehicle.

Since the level design is so much denser in below zero, scanner rooms are near loving worthless for seeing the topography of the area. Cameras were also nerfed being they arn't given with the scanner room also not a big deal tho.

In short, unless you really want more new subnauctica the first game is just better all around. Below zero is just not as polished as the first game.

Tenzarin fucked around with this message at 06:55 on Mar 7, 2021