Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

That's good to know. I'll just max out the depth on that then.

I was like "holy poo poo this is so cool" when I made the cyclops. It's really neat how they made it. But then you get in it and it's slow as hell, impossible to see anything, cumbersome in how huge it is and worst of all it's just constantly being attacked by everything. I feel like I spend 80% of the time repairing it. I know theres some Cyclops mods to help with that but I just do not want to use this thing at all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

veni veni veni posted:

I was like "holy poo poo this is so cool" when I made the cyclops. It's really neat how they made it. But then you get in it and it's slow as hell, impossible to see anything, cumbersome in how huge it is and worst of all it's just constantly being attacked by everything. I feel like I spend 80% of the time repairing it. I know theres some Cyclops mods to help with that but I just do not want to use this thing at all.

Are you taking it into the exclusion zone around the aurora or something? Nothing can hurt it except for leviathans, and you can actually outrun them and get out of their range. Also you aren't tooling around on Flanking speed are you? If you are running "ahead slow" you won't attract any of the leviathans anywhere the game expects you to take the Cyclops.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
The Cyclops is awesome, you must be doing it wrong.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
Nah, there's some electric shark that I recall being able to ding the cyclops. Hardly a threat but having the hp bar less than 100% annoyed me so that detail stuck with me.

To veniveni, the cyclops gets easier to pilot with practice and there's a certain statement of intent by bringing everything with you. The cyclops is also effectively deaggrod when parked, so you never have to worry about having it blow up when you go for a swim unlike the smaller vehicles.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth
I just have fond memories of going flanking speed into the deep crater and seeing dozens of bone sharks wrecking themselves on the hull. :twisted:

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed
The later sections of the game are much less tedious when you are using the prawn.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth
For sure. I never bother taking the cyclops deeper then the lost river. You can, but it's really annoying and I wouldn't recommend it.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

ate poo poo on live tv posted:

Are you taking it into the exclusion zone around the aurora or something? Nothing can hurt it except for leviathans, and you can actually outrun them and get out of their range. Also you aren't tooling around on Flanking speed are you? If you are running "ahead slow" you won't attract any of the leviathans anywhere the game expects you to take the Cyclops.

Nah I'm running at normal speed unless I'm trying to escape. Those big clear worm things (the ones at the edge of the map but I'm not there) and regular leviathans seem to attack it constantly. I was going into the river zone and one of them destroyed it in seconds but I save scummed.

Nickel ore is hard as gently caress to find. Kind of annoyed rn cause I found enough to bring the Cyclops to 1300 meters, but I also need it for the prawn, and I can't put a vehicle upgrade module on the cyclops so woo I guess I get to go down there and deep dive w my seamoth yet again even though I found almost nothing last time.

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

They tapdance not, neither do they fart
Build a base, biomatter gen and a scanner, nickle for days.
Just bring the scanner upgrades from another if you dont have the mats to make more.

Though truthfully you can find it near where you use the orange tablet, just coast along the walls around there high and low.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

For the love of God, if you are deconstructing your scanner room, MANUALLY REMOVE YOUR UPGRADE MODULES FIRST.

Otherwise you just flat out lose them.

Beefeater1980
Sep 12, 2008

My God, it's full of Horatios!

Owns. Good luck!

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW

ate poo poo on live tv posted:

For sure. I never bother taking the cyclops deeper then the lost river. You can, but it's really annoying and I wouldn't recommend it.

I took that monster all the way to the bottom. The hard part was removing the depth module, upgrading it, and jamming it back in before the entire ship collapsed around me. Because I did it at 800m instead of going back up to shallow waters first.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

YggiDee posted:

I took that monster all the way to the bottom. The hard part was removing the depth module, upgrading it, and jamming it back in before the entire ship collapsed around me. Because I did it at 800m instead of going back up to shallow waters first.

Semi-related: cycling the shield module will detach any of those little bastard larvae that attach and drain your batteries

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

Icon Of Sin posted:

Semi-related: cycling the shield module will detach any of those little bastard larvae that attach and drain your batteries

Good tip, maybe when I get a hair to play Subnautica again I'll take the cyclops all the way to the energy plant just to do it.

Waffle House
Oct 27, 2004

You follow the path
fitting into an infinite pattern.

Yours to manipulate, to destroy and rebuild.

Now, in the quantum moment
before the closure
when all become one.

One moment left.
One point of space and time.

I know who you are.

You are Destiny.

Icon Of Sin posted:

:doh: Thank you, that does help a lot.

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life

Oldstench posted:

So BZ is on sale, but I'm getting mixed messages from the thread and, of course, Steam reviews are either "it's god-tier" or "they ruined SN". I guess my question is, if BZ existed in a vacuum, would you enjoy it? Or do you just tolerate it because it's as close to more SN as we're getting?

Its a more focused version of the original, I'd say they're equally good for different reasons. They both do different things better/worse.

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!
I've come to realize is that below zero's problem for me isn't gameplay nor the quality of the writing, but the lack of mystery.

Everything about it seemed self explanatory past the initial alien friend

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I've only played it for maybe an hour but my early take away was that I really disliked how the protagonist talks all of the time and also it looks way better than the original game. I'm gonna play it after I finish the first one. The linearity will probably feel like a victory lap after I spent half the first game meandering around with no idea what to do next lol.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Omnicarus posted:

Ok storyline idea elevator pitch: What if you had a planet where it wasn't water but it was desert and there were giant leviathans in the sand? Instead of oxygen you'd have to manage water and you could have a big flying ship that could carry all your stuff, like a cyclops but instead it's like a Carry-all plane.

No need to credit me I just do this for the art not the gravitas.

In this game there should be a precious resource on the desert planet that people fight over, to create conflict. Maybe we can give it a cool one-word name like Desert or perhaps some other sand-related word that starts with the letter D

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

I've mentioned it before, but my biggest complaint of BZ, outside of the crashing, is thy if I want to build and use everything, then that means I'm extending my game play by a few hours past the story. There are so many things that seem unnecessary. Cool, but unnecessary.

Is there really any sort of large distance to travel that requires the sea truck teleporter module? After you've grown literally basic food, do you need the aquarium module? Anyone use the sleeper one, or whatever it's called?

These all COULD be used, but there's just little to no reason to do so. If the map was larger and the story was longer, I'm sure they'd all be put to good use.

I literally made the fabricator model for the sea truck and that was it; used the Prawn suit for everything else :clint:

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

veni veni veni posted:

I didn't like using the Cyclops much either, it has its own hatch but I exclusively used the vehicle bay because I wanted to pilot the Cyclops itself as little as possible. I was hesitant to use it at all at first but forced myself to try it a little more and found that it's fantastic as a mobile base, almost as fast as the seamoth but carries way more stuff and is almost invulnerable. This way I didn't ever have to worry about fetching some rare material from some other base, because everything is in my Cyclops. If Leviathans are attacking it then just park it somewhere where that won't happen.

I stopped using the Seamoth once I was able to spiderman around places in the Prawn

Parallelwoody
Apr 10, 2008

QuarkJets posted:

In this game there should be a precious resource on the desert planet that people fight over, to create conflict. Maybe we can give it a cool one-word name like Desert or perhaps some other sand-related word that starts with the letter D

Welcome... to Dirt

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

ikanreed posted:

I've come to realize is that below zero's problem for me isn't gameplay nor the quality of the writing, but the lack of mystery.

It needed something more sinister that Alterra was doing there. That rear end in a top hat executive in charge down there should’ve been shown to do some really hosed up poo poo and that’s why your sister got killed. Also could help with Margueritte’s plot line too

Omnicarus
Jan 16, 2006

ThisIsJohnWayne posted:

Do you have any idea how unsexy sand is? It gets everywhere, its horrible! From here on out only lubed ideas from you thank you

QuarkJets posted:

These are both really good ideas and I like this kind of innovative, disruptive thinking in the narrative space. In a lot of ways this would be a new direction for the Subnautica series, like in SN1 you mostly had to concern yourself with too much water, not enough oxygen. Then in Below Zero it was cold and water that you had to deal with. Now in Subnautica 3: A Sea of Sand, you flip the paradigm and have to deal with having plenty of oxygen but very little water, and rather than dealing with the cold you have to try and stay cold. See it's like poetry, it rhymes as a trilogy.

I think the idea for having a rare resource on the planet would work really well and the one word planet name would probably be far easier for players to remember than Planet 4546B. Since it's a desert and full of giant sand drifts traversed by giant sand leviathans, I think Drift would be a fantastic name. The opening credits could show planet 4546B and then zoom to a different planet to show they are in the same universe but different planets since otherwise it might confuse players that the planet has a different name and biome.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

For anyone interested in the Below Zero sale: it's $15 to buy Below Zero, but it's $13.50 to buy the "Subnautica Deep Ocean Bundle" if you already own Subnautica.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Anyone have experience with these games in VR? I bought the original on PC a while back and refunded it, because although it actually looked great in VR I was using the rift controllers and the right stick did nothing i.e. I could not turn at all unless I physically turned around in circles, which imo was an instant deal breaker. But it looks like maybe that wouldnt have been the case if I'd just used an Xbox controller and maybe it was just something with the oculus controller? Just seeing if anyone can confirm if they control allright with a normal pad.

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Fear is the glue that holds society together. It's what makes people suppress their worst impulses. Fear is power.

And at the end of fear, oblivion.

veni veni veni posted:

Anyone have experience with these games in VR? I bought the original on PC a while back and refunded it, because although it actually looked great in VR I was using the rift controllers and the right stick did nothing i.e. I could not turn at all unless I physically turned around in circles, which imo was an instant deal breaker. But it looks like maybe that wouldnt have been the case if I'd just used an Xbox controller and maybe it was just something with the oculus controller? Just seeing if anyone can confirm if they control allright with a normal pad.

Man I couldn't stand the UI more than the controls. Can't imagine a gamepad saves Subnautica VR.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

It's been a while but isn't just the same UI as flat screen?

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

A gamepad plus the VR UI mod so that the PDA isn’t stuck to the end of your nose.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Oh gently caress I forgot it sticks to your head yeah that's awful

Nukelear v.2
Jun 25, 2004
My optional title text

veni veni veni posted:

I did my second Subnautica playthrough that way. The VR mod is mandatory. I played seated with a keyboard and mouse, but controller I'm sure would be fine.
Even though the controls are very much 2D, eventually you get used to it and VR is honestly it's the best way to experience the game. Piloting the Seamoth is a trip and the scale of the environment and creatures is amazing.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Yeah, the sense of scale is by far the best thing. Everything seems so incredibly much bigger, even the starting shallows suddenly seems surprisingly deep, which means the actual deeps are immense.

Meskhenet
Apr 26, 2010

Nukelear v.2 posted:

I did my second Subnautica playthrough that way. The VR mod is mandatory. I played seated with a keyboard and mouse, but controller I'm sure would be fine.
Even though the controls are very much 2D, eventually you get used to it and VR is honestly it's the best way to experience the game. Piloting the Seamoth is a trip and the scale of the environment and creatures is amazing.

nar

Swiming with the controllers sucks

But, i think i spent about 30 minutes before i even jumped in the water from the escape pod and hosed righ back in once night came, even though IVE FINISHED THE GAME AND CRAVE LEVIATHIAN BLOOD ON MY PRAWN FISTS.

Its a vr game ive never gone back to

chainchompz
Jul 15, 2021

bark bark
I played Subnautica on keyboard and mouse and below zero with a controller. I think either is just fine.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

My wife and I both own SN on Steam, but our saved games aren't separate. What gives?

To clarify, I went to boot it up for the first time, for me, and her save was there. Same goes for BZ, except she owns it, and library shares with me.

We've done this with no issue in other games. Is this a known bug?

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."
I played through it the second time in VR with a controller, it works fine once you get the VR fix mod. It resolves a number of issues but the main ones are the cursor not matching up with the center of your view and the Seaglide being held directly in front of your face preventing you from seeing anything. There was still some weird stuff going on with the menus but being able to play it with the adjusted sense of scale is worth dealing with some drawbacks.

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

They tapdance not, neither do they fart

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

My wife and I both own SN on Steam, but our saved games aren't separate. What gives?

To clarify, I went to boot it up for the first time, for me, and her save was there. Same goes for BZ, except she owns it, and library shares with me.

Didnt even know that was a thing but from a quick search it sounds like thats how its supposed to work.
If the library is shared then it seems like the cloud saves get transferred.
But you can have as many saves as you want to just choose your own.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Subnautica stores its saves in the game install folder, so they're shared across everyone on the same PC.

This used to be basically standard behavior, now games often save to somewhere in the user home directory which then makes it Windows user specific but a lot of games still do the install folder thing.

Steam Cloud games have a userdata folder under the main Steam install location where each Steam user gets their own subtree.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

OgNar posted:

Didnt even know that was a thing but from a quick search it sounds like thats how its supposed to work.
If the library is shared then it seems like the cloud saves get transferred.
But you can have as many saves as you want to just choose your own.

This is kind of dumb, then. We both play No Man's Sky, along with a handful of other games, like Portal and Half life and whatnot and this is literally the first (and second, with BZ) time it's happened.

wolrah posted:

Steam Cloud games have a userdata folder under the main Steam install location where each Steam user gets their own subtree.

You'd think this would be happening for SN and BZ, but apparently not.

Just to fully clarify the situation, we currently have one gaming rig, and we both sign in to the same Windows account but have separate steam accounts/logins.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Avasculous
Aug 30, 2008

ikanreed posted:

I am only a few hours in, but yeah.

It was really immersive in SN stumbling on distinctly artificial structures and transmissions and becoming acutely aware that there was more going on than a crash.

BZ in contrast feels like it wants me to be really curious about whether the giant corporation is doing bad stuff for profit in general and to my sister who I've been told I care about which is not much of a rollercoaster.