Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008
They stick around, but once they're full sized, which happens immediately upon release, they act like a normal version of that creature. If you want to swim with a friendly Boneshark, you have to do it with juveniles inside the big tanks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sexual Aluminum
Jun 21, 2003

is made of candy
Soiled Meat

7c Nickel posted:

New feature! Machine lifeforms!

...the experimental mode has some texture errors right now.

Cribbing off Zero Dawn I see

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

GlyphGryph posted:

And the counterpoint is that they also simultaneously think that "there is something out there!" isn't enough of an incentive for people to go visit.

Can you find someone who can take it on as a quest to get the devs to implement damage immunity depth limits for the Seamoth and new Cyclops? I haven't got the persistence required to do so.

I'd say 100m for the Seamoth and 200m for the Cyclops. That way, you could at least safely park them.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.
The way its currently implemented they shouldnt attack anything unoccupied because it wont make noise

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

GlyphGryph posted:

<- Still Salty that the Stalkers are still the most work they have put into creature behaviour.

I totally agree on this point. Stalkers actually live up to the hype, and then everything else is just bog standard enemies who exist only to hunt the player. While people brag about how realistic it is predators willingly dive face first through an erupting volcano because it is the shortest distance to bite you while you are placing thermal generators, because it's only realistic if it's inconvenient :v:

I'll be sad if/when The Virus just flips stalker AI to always aggro as part of the plot. Considering how excited some people are it will apparently make even passive wildlife "more aggressive" :sigh:

Hell of an immersive lore building incentive to find a cure though. "Oh, it might kill me in a horrible and agonizing manner eventually? Whatever-OH MY GOD, THE STALKERS! :ohdear:"

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008
Ohh hey. Looks like "Subnautica with Friends" is still on the table.

https://twitter.com/Flayra/status/850497326288326656

Lonos Oboe
Jun 7, 2014
I think we can all agree that the devs shot themselves in the foot with the island. I generally don't buy into the whole "In Star Wars episode 1 we have super wire-fu Jedi because they are trained, whereas Empire is a kid and an old robot fighting so it's less complex." excuses

No, it's budget and means. They can add a load of fog and some flavor text to try and explain it away. But the reality is they did not think that far ahead. As for the sometimes mentioned underwater draw distance argument. Sure, sometimes it's cool and moody. but if you have ever scuba dived in a place similar to the safe shallows you know you can see huge distances. The draw distance sucks still. Going into the mushroom forest is embarrassing. The game is great in places and I adore it sometimes, but it has major flaws too. If a limitation has to be rationalized then it's just a weak design and that's fine. I know there is not a ton of that here, but Jesus Christ, you would swear some players have stocks in the game.

While I am on my high sea horse. I loving despise the fire mechanic in the Cyclops. I am not only talking about the realism of a Boneshark boinking off the Cyclops (which is underwater) and causing a fire. I just hate it because putting out fires in Subnautica is a really irritating thing to do. Give me flooding and the thing sinking and I would be much happier.

As for the abyss discussion. We talked a few pages back about a big elder god-esque creature that gets you if you stray too far. I was all for it. But a few other voices made the very good point that it would ruin the natural feel of the game. I am sure they will have some quarantine shield or the like.

As for adding diverse creatures, migrating pods of reefbacks and all the other great ideas. All I have to say is that the official release is May 2017 and the most complex creature is the Stalker. Hmmm

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.
Why would they do that.

They finally put those constant demands to rest.

What are they thinking?

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008

GlyphGryph posted:

Why would they do that.

What are they thinking?

It's not like they're adding it to 1.0 at the last second. This is for post release. Either as free or paid DLC or a standalone MP version.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

GlyphGryph posted:

Why would they do that.

What are they thinking?

You get more attention if you hold off on saying never ever. Which is why all the "No multiplayer" statments has most frequently been with disclaimers of "But maybe someday post launch (if we get someone else to do it for us that is). Or nested in forums posts rather than openly advertised there will never be multiplayer where purchasers can readily see it, etc.

So many launch dates have approached and been kicked back to next year, that I have no idea what to think about the latest "Launch is still May!" date. They have very defensivly said they will never "Put it out the door until we finish everything" whenever asked if they would do a 1.0 in name only launch. But, more and more things keep getting relegated to "optional non essential it's totally okay to launch without it".

Female models are hard you guys. Also, so are missing story areas. Or save slots and other "Quality of life upgrades". Or jetpacks. Yes we will tease you with the possibility of jetpacks but no fair expecting anything of us for saying it. Oh and clocks, clocks are also hard so maybe post launch.

7c Nickel posted:

It's not like they're adding it to 1.0 at the last second. This is for post release. Either as free or paid DLC or a standalone MP version.

At least from a business standpoint I can understand the constant dangling Multiplayer/co-op along like a distant possibility. Nobody on the staff wants to be the guy to burn that PR gains bridge even if nothing ever comes of it.

Section Z fucked around with this message at 00:38 on Apr 11, 2017

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Section Z posted:

At least from a business standpoint I can understand the constant dangling Multiplayer/co-op along like a distant possibility. Nobody on the staff wants to be the guy to burn that PR gains bridge even if nothing ever comes of it.

Like No Mans Sky?

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

GlyphGryph posted:

Like No Mans Sky?

Hinting at the possibility they will totally get someone else to add it later but dancing around commitment, isn't quite the same as acting like it is already implemented but dancing around commitment :v:

For all it's flaws both objective and subjective, Subnautica at least will be a game with tangible goals and means, and even the worst of silver shortages would be less grindy.

Flaws and stumbles seem more from a place of being in over their head while also having to regularly desperatly fix the results of trying to appease stereotypical sandboxers once the general public becomes more aware of the end result enough. (arbitrary crafting timers. Seaglide, silver, their latest 'Sorry but we worked real hard on it but oh my god im sorry' comments about the Cyclops. They know they've done wrong, but not until the damage is done).

So the big worries everybody can share are the optimizations and "Once your gameplay hits X hours, consider euthanizing your save file" that have been the most standout problems for quite some time.

Section Z fucked around with this message at 01:03 on Apr 11, 2017

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008
At least they have a definite end for the game in the form of getting offplanet. Too many other sandbox games just go "Uhh I guess you'll die at some point and that's the end?"

Mehrunes
Aug 4, 2004
Fun Shoe

GlyphGryph posted:

Why would they do that.

What are they thinking?

At release yeah, but it's brought up constantly so I'm not suprised Cleveland is fishing for ideas for potential DLC.

Mehrunes
Aug 4, 2004
Fun Shoe

GlyphGryph posted:

Like No Mans Sky?

:captainpop: Yeah this is exactly how Sean Murray teased multiplayer in NMS.

Mehrunes fucked around with this message at 07:30 on Apr 11, 2017

Lonos Oboe
Jun 7, 2014
The amount of people on the Steam community page saying "I would buy if this had MP" and cite how MP makes survival games better must have had an effect on them. The truth is it would boost sales quite a bit and if I had a buddy or 2 to tool around and build bases with, it would really add longevity. I do remember when they put a lock on it and said it wasn't happening unless they did an sequel/ expansion. Here is hoping they don't drop the game like a turd next month and announce another full price game with a few expansions and MP a week later.

I am sure the devs won't do that. But I can imagine someone suggesting it.

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

i've been playing Osiris: New Dawn with a buddy just to chill and chat and smoke and drink and in my opinion unless you're in to the PVP aspect of things, cooperating with another person adds nothing to this genre of game besides 'WHAT HAPPENED TO ALL THE loving CARBON???' when you log in

Lonos Oboe
Jun 7, 2014

Efexeye posted:

i've been playing Osiris: New Dawn with a buddy just to chill and chat and smoke and drink and in my opinion unless you're in to the PVP aspect of things, cooperating with another person adds nothing to this genre of game besides 'WHAT HAPPENED TO ALL THE loving CARBON???' when you log in

You should try something like 7 days to Die with a couple of mates. You are talking about 4 dudes who lived together through college but will straight up murder each other if you steal their favorite hat ingame. Or leave you to be killed by zombies because it's funny.

A game like Subnautica would be awesome to have a friend flying around in the Seamoth distracting Bonesharks while you try and collect resources and your other friend is in the Cyclops never not honking the horn because it's hilarious.

Xibanya
Sep 17, 2012

Clever Betty
In other news I bought Farsky because it looked Subnautica-like but I can't get the jar file to work so looks like it's refund time for me!

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

Lonos Oboe posted:

You should try something like 7 days to Die with a couple of mates. You are talking about 4 dudes who lived together through college but will straight up murder each other if you steal their favorite hat ingame. Or leave you to be killed by zombies because it's funny.

I mean, that sounds fun in theory but the dude I'm playing with is probably willing to lose his job to grind me in to the dust in a PvP scenario, he's just that type of buddy

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug
The original single player nature of Subnautica also means that at it's most grindy, it will never be as grindy as standard issue Multiplayer/co-op Sandbox games.

7c Nickel posted:

At least they have a definite end for the game in the form of getting offplanet. Too many other sandbox games just go "Uhh I guess you'll die at some point and that's the end?"

Yeah, this is one of the big reasons I originally bought into the game. "Oh it's a sandbox survival game? Is there an actual point or set of goals beyond 'Don't die then do it over' this time?... There IS? Holy poo poo."

Lonos Oboe
Jun 7, 2014

Efexeye posted:

I mean, that sounds fun in theory but the dude I'm playing with is probably willing to lose his job to grind me in to the dust in a PvP scenario, he's just that type of buddy

I hear you. When we played Payday 2 and Borderlands the hunt for the best weapons and grinds caused more tension than the time one dude slept with another dudes ex. That's why we switched to something more communal.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
1.0 isn't next month. It's September/October on the roadmap.

Lonos Oboe
Jun 7, 2014
Well that's good. I got that date off of google so I guess it's out of date. Still enough time to pull it together hopefully.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
Subnautica is half off right now. Tell your friends.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Zesty posted:

Subnautica is half off right now. Tell your friends.

I was considering picking it up but how complete is it? I know it releases in a few months, should I just wait?

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

RBA Starblade posted:

I was considering picking it up but how complete is it? I know it releases in a few months, should I just wait?

It's laggy and buggy, the view distance sucks rear end and it's a little light on basebuilding components. But other than the story, it has plenty of content.

TescoBag
Dec 2, 2009

Oh god, not again.

Are they still making it so that any fish can destroy the cylops and all you can do is slowly try to escape?

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

RBA Starblade posted:

Up to recently I would have said it's got enough promise to totally get on half off then sit on it for a more complete state, even for all my nitpicks and even if you normally hate "Sandbox survival" games. But...

TescoBag posted:

Are they still making it so that any fish can destroy the cylops and all you can do is slowly try to escape?

They are making it real loving hard to stay optimistic in the end zone :saddowns:

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I think I'll just wait a bit longer, thanks guys!

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

I am the coolest person ever with my pirate chalice. Seriously.

Dinosaur Gum

RBA Starblade posted:

They're planning on increasing the price once it's released. I've had enough fun from it to justify having got it for $20.

scuba school sucks
Aug 30, 2012

The brilliance of my posting illuminates the forums like a jar of shining gold when all around is dark
At the moment, I'm not convinced they seriously intend to fix the draw distance issue. Have I missed something on the Trello that says "yeah the pop in issue will totally be fixed by August of this year we promise for realsies guys"?

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
The draw distance is just a tweakable option; if you optimize the engine you can set the distance out farther without things becoming a slideshow. Pop-ins have the same cause and so general engine optimizations should makes things pop faster (hopefully before you're literally on top of them)

I completely believe they have an optimization pass planned. I remember NS2 ran like hot garbage until they spent a month optimizing it up to playability, so this exact thing happened in their last game.

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008
Even if they did nothing else and left it as is for the rest of time, I think 50% off the preorder price is a bargain. I paid full and don't regret it at all.

OneTwentySix
Nov 5, 2007

fun
FUN
FUN

It's a fun game, easily worth $10. It has some issues, but you'll get at least $10 of fun out of it - I'd buy it for $20 (got it in a bundle that I mostly bought just for it) and still not feel ripped off.

Beef
Jul 26, 2004
They continued to make improvements to NS2, it runs pretty much at 120fps for me now.

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

Subnautica is absolutely worth $10. I put 18 hours in and could see that there was a lot more story to add so I shelved it until it releases, but I've spent $10 on much, much shittier games than this. Even if they added nothing else I think it's worth the $10

Xibanya
Sep 17, 2012

Clever Betty
I have like 40 hours in this game. $10 is a bargain, flaws and all.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Looks like the devs have doubled down and decided a valuable use for their remaining dev time is putting work into guaranteeing that the void punishes players who dare venture into it.

Was really hoping they'd decide to put something fun and interesting out there instead but I guess not. Just gonna be a bunch of reapers that swarm and kill you.

For reasons.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

I am the coolest person ever with my pirate chalice. Seriously.

Dinosaur Gum
Ah yes, that's how it works, all or nothing. All the next patch will contain, is 'void death', but if we're lucky it'll be 'cyclops death'. None of the last patches contained any content or anything.