Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

Internet Kraken posted:

This is a stupid viewpoint. Self-imposed challenges have their place but the idea of having devs rebalance a single-player game is to aim for what the optimal experience is. Lets look at this from the perspective of hull damage; is the current system better than a proposed alternative of where you can only repair at base but have significantly more hull? Not really. Cause right now hull damage is just tedium; you have to occasionally jump out of your ship to patch it up and then go back to driving. There's nothing interesting involved in it. Furthermore if the game was balanced around not being able to repair then they could remove hull damage from minor, insignificant collision which serve only to annoy the player. It'd also give more incentive to use the strengthened hull module which is mostly pointless right now.

Just because a change makes the game harder doesn't mean its bad. A game being harder can provide the player with a better experience. Also self-imposed challenges aren't really applicable to a first playthrough where people are still feeling the game out and won't realize how broken something is until they have been using it for hours.

EDIT: Let me just head-off a potential argument by saying I don't think the difficulty of Subnautica is in a bad place. I think making it more brutal without those changes being applied to an optional mode would probably be worse for the game. Hull damage just isn't something I think the game handles particularly well. You shouldn't look down on a potential change just because it makes the game harder.

Yeah I agree with a lot of this, honestly. I'm not some pro-hardcore gamer, but I've come across plenty of games where I wish there was more of a legitimate challenge--something that encouraged me to use every tool at my disposal to succeed--rather than arbitrarily discarding tools and strategies simply because they're too effective. I've basically never agreed with the "impose your own limits" logic, because I've tried to use it numerous times in the past and it frequently turns into a miserable meta-game where I'm more preoccupied with my own self-imposed rules and how to keep the game challenging than actually playing the game.

Cream-of-Plenty fucked around with this message at 08:42 on Feb 19, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

PantsBandit posted:

Is there a good way to get the moon pool to connect to the rest of my base? It seems like it can connect to a hallway but I'm having trouble getting the placement right on existing ones.

The best luck I've had is attaching an extra hallway for leeway, because Moonpools are just all kinds of bullshit. They will also essentially orient however they feel like orienting, as trying to rotate them is incredibly busted.

It's particularly cruel if you like horizontally spread zig zagging bases, which is just another reason for my preference of simple MP room towers connected by single hallways.

I can do some absurd stuff with my moonpools these days. But that's because I'm working AROUND them, rather than with them. My last base, the moonpools were connected by the narrow ends because gently caress it, that's the direction the game demanded they orient compared to my base.

Once you have the luxury of planning a full base ahead of time, starting with the moonpool as your first room can be a big help in building things the way you actually want them. But adding them on after the fact is often very hit or miss.

Section Z fucked around with this message at 08:48 on Feb 19, 2018

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.
I haven't been able to rotate moonpools at all ever since they switched to the 'once placed everything's locked into a grid' mode of base building. So yeah, starting with a moonpool is probably the way to go.

They have 6 ways they can attach to other structures, 2 on each side and 1 on the front and back of it.

WaffleLove
Aug 16, 2007
I seriously wish this game had a mapping function. Just a little one or something. It makes no sense at all, as to why the PDA doesn't have a map tab that'll allow you to store personal maps of areas explored, use the seaglide to make the maps and the pda to display the data, if you have a scanner room, it auto maps the area for you.. But nope, players want to take away the repair gun(gently caress that) !_! My e-peen is too small they shout on the subnautica forums.. make it harder.. mod that poo poo in dont ruin it for everyone else :( Being able to repair poo poo when I need to has made this game bearable for me. I'm also lost as gently caress as to what next. I found the drill arms, and a huge gently caress off tunnel system in the Grand Reef that I explored, found some skeletons scanned, got out before dying. Came back to an jumbled alien message. I have no idea where to go next :(

Also to whoever made the mod. I'm getting the same error that was quoted and have tried the step's you recommended to the second person who having the same issue. Just figured you might want too know, I'd comment on git hub but I don't have a account. I've tried turning off my av/white-listing/windows defender off.

WaffleLove fucked around with this message at 10:07 on Feb 19, 2018

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
It doesn't help that I'm fat as fuck, so my face shouldn't be shown off in the first place.
For moonpools you either put them down first OR put down a single foundation first with the glass/darker area being the 'front' which will then cause the moonpool to later orient to it. The foundation can be removed after any other stuff has been built.

HexiDave
Mar 20, 2009

WaffleLove posted:

Also to whoever made the mod. I'm getting the same error that was quoted and have tried the step's you recommended to the second person who having the same issue. Just figured you might want too know, I'd comment on git hub but I don't have a account. I've tried turning off my av/white-listing/windows defender off.

Thanks - I'll be testing an installer this week, so hopefully this problem will be solved then.

Axetrain
Sep 14, 2007

What are the best modules for the Prawn Suit?

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
It doesn't help that I'm fat as fuck, so my face shouldn't be shown off in the first place.
2x Jump Jets, Thermal, Depth, Drill, Grappling Hook is what I run most of the time.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.

Internet Kraken posted:

Lets look at this from the perspective of hull damage; is the current system better than a proposed alternative of where you can only repair at base but have significantly more hull? Not really. Cause right now hull damage is just tedium; you have to occasionally jump out of your ship to patch it up and then go back to driving.

This is the most stupid argument I have heard in a long time.

Right now, hull damage is tense and exciting, because it drops fairly quickly and you have to decide whether to jump out NOW and repair it NOW while you still can even if the danger is still around, putting you character in direct peril. If you screw up, preserving your vehicle either means risking danger, or completely escaping from danger first and then topping off.

Meanwhile, in response to a system describes as "tedium" (but which has great potential for real meaningful risk and reward choices) you propose a system that is literally tedium incarnate - every time the player takes damage, they now have to decide between risking their vehicle by continuing the journey, or doing a boring and time consuming jaunt back to home base to repair. Which is exactly the same as how the current mechanic works except you have added a buttload of transit time, aka tedium.

As much as I criticize the devs sometimes I am super glad some of you arent having any sort of say in how this game works, yeesh. You would suck all the fun and tension right out of it in favour of tedium and busy work.

GlyphGryph fucked around with this message at 13:32 on Feb 19, 2018

Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler

GlyphGryph posted:

Right now, hull damage is tense and exciting, because it drops fairly quickly and you have to decide whether to jump out NOW and repair it NOW while you still can even if the danger is still around, putting you character in direct peril. If you screw up, preserving your vehicle either means risking danger, or completely escaping from danger first and then topping off.

Meanwhile, in response to a system describes as "tedium" (but which has great potential for real meaningful risk and reward choices) you propose a system that is literally tedium incarnate - ever time the player takes damage, they now have to decide between risking their vehicle by continuing the journey, or doing a boring and time consuming jaunt back to home base to repair. Which is exactly the same as how the current mechanic works except you have added a buttload of transit time, aka tedium.

As much as I criticize the devs sometimes I am super glad some of you arent having any sort of say in how this game works, yeesh. You would suck all the fun and tension right out of it in favour of tedium and busy work.

:agreed: I like the way the system works right now.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.

Rynoto posted:

2x Jump Jets, Thermal, Depth, Drill, Grappling Hook is what I run most of the time.

I usually stick an extra drill and grappling hook in my inventory so I can double grapple while moving and double drill while drilling. Feels like it really speeds things up.

Comrade Koba
Jul 2, 2007

Regarding the hull damage thing, there could be some sort of compromise. Keep the repair tool, but let the light and sounds it makes attract every predator in a 100m radius. :getin:

What this game really needs is some sort of variable difficulty setting, like having separate checkboxes or sliders for everything you could change.

That, and a loving headlamp. Or at the very least the ability to hold your flashlight in one hand and some other tool in the other.

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed

Internet Kraken posted:

This is a stupid viewpoint. Self-imposed challenges have their place but the idea of having devs rebalance a single-player game is to aim for what the optimal experience is. Lets look at this from the perspective of hull damage; is the current system better than a proposed alternative of where you can only repair at base but have significantly more hull? Not really. Cause right now hull damage is just tedium; you have to occasionally jump out of your ship to patch it up and then go back to driving. There's nothing interesting involved in it. Furthermore if the game was balanced around not being able to repair then they could remove hull damage from minor, insignificant collision which serve only to annoy the player. It'd also give more incentive to use the strengthened hull module which is mostly pointless right now.

Just because a change makes the game harder doesn't mean its bad. A game being harder can provide the player with a better experience. Also self-imposed challenges aren't really applicable to a first playthrough where people are still feeling the game out and won't realize how broken something is until they have been using it for hours.

EDIT: Let me just head-off a potential argument by saying I don't think the difficulty of Subnautica is in a bad place. I think making it more brutal without those changes being applied to an optional mode would probably be worse for the game. Hull damage just isn't something I think the game handles particularly well. You shouldn't look down on a potential change just because it makes the game harder.

If these changes only affected a new difficulty mode then i wouldn't have a problem with them, other than I think the developers would be wasting their time, there are a ton of bugs to fix and some potantial DLC in the works, there is no reason to once again try to appeal to the type of player who doesn't like the game.

Having to constantly go back to your moonpool with the seamoth just sounds tedious and not fun in any way, with the cyclops it would be even worse. The lava zone is already dumb as it is, and the leviathans attack the cyclops even going slow in silent mode.

Subnautica is so popular because it feels like less of a hardcore experience than other survival games, if that is too easy for some folks then self imposed limits are the best and easiest way of making the game harder.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

I think its especially to describe replacing the current situation, which is harder and more challenging than the proposed alternative (but less tedious) as somehow making the game harder. Its literally "lets make the game less fun and also easier buy the player has to risk BOREDOM" as a game mechanic.

Its the groggiest of the grog brainworms at work here.

GlyphGryph fucked around with this message at 14:12 on Feb 19, 2018

Axetrain
Sep 14, 2007

I want a toggle for a Danger Shallows mode. You have one life and and the starting areas are infested with Reapers. Like 8 in the Safe Shallows and then 4 more in each of the areas around them. Essentially it ramps up the early game by forcing you to try and escape the nightmare zone starting areas and making you to try and survive out at the now relatively safer areas toward the map edge.

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011

ToxicSlurpee posted:

I think I got that time capsule! The first one I found was basically just that; it all decorates my house now.

my title was just like "memorabilia" or something. i was gonna toss in some other posters but i figured someone would Get Mad that i didn't put something at least marginally useful in, so i threw in the two ion cells i ripped out of my cyclops. this was before i knew people were super bitter about 'useful' contents

i did manage to find one in a restart (sans food/water mechanic because those are frankly just irritating to me since i don't feel like they are interesting enough to deal with), and it had a heat knife, two salted peepers and a water or two, so basically i got a bunch of stuff that doesn't help this playthrough

R. Mute
Jul 27, 2011

Is there any real point to the Cyclops - aside from functioning as a mobile resource depository while I was building my second base? It's unwieldy, sluggish, useless against leviathans and the like. The Prawn suit's pretty nippy anyway and can punch everything in the face so why bother?

Comrade Koba
Jul 2, 2007

Axetrain posted:

I want a toggle for a Danger Shallows mode. You have one life and and the starting areas are infested with Reapers. Like 8 in the Safe Shallows and then 4 more in each of the areas around them. Essentially it ramps up the early game by forcing you to try and escape the nightmare zone starting areas and making you to try and survive out at the now relatively safer areas toward the map edge.

Challenge mode: You start as usual, but the blueprints for the scanning tool is in a databox inside Lifepod 2. Good luck.

R. Mute posted:

Is there any real point to the Cyclops - aside from functioning as a mobile resource depository while I was building my second base? It's unwieldy, sluggish, useless against leviathans and the like. The Prawn suit's pretty nippy anyway and can punch everything in the face so why bother?

It's not as useful as it could have been - by the time you get it, you're probably ready to start exploring the Lost River, if you haven't already. Since you can complete the storyline quest in just a couple of trips down there, it ends up being really cool but not that useful unless you want to ignore the story and just go crazy building a huge underground base in one of the deepest biomes. Essentially, it's an endgame vehicle in a game with a really short endgame

Comrade Koba fucked around with this message at 15:14 on Feb 19, 2018

Dreadwroth
Dec 12, 2009

by R. Guyovich

Yardbomb posted:

Still one of my favorite screenshots I snapped a while back, when I was exploring near the hanging edge of the Aurora at night.

Accurate image of my face when: :stonk:

Aww he just wants to hug you with his teeth, it's all he knows how to hug with.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox
Any recommended graphics settings to turn down that will improve performance and not make the game look like poo poo? I turned textures down to medium and, since I'm playing big picture on my tv, it was imperceptible. But I still get quite a bit of hitching when switching biomes or breaking the surface.

Dunno-Lars
Apr 7, 2011
:norway:

:iiam:

Rynoto posted:

The Jump Jet module does not stack, so you can safely swap one of them out for something else.

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011

PantsBandit posted:

Any recommended graphics settings to turn down that will improve performance and not make the game look like poo poo? I turned textures down to medium and, since I'm playing big picture on my tv, it was imperceptible. But I still get quite a bit of hitching when switching biomes or breaking the surface.

The game is the problem

to expand on it, it runs like poo poo pretty much regardless

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox

Sloober posted:

The game is the problem

to expand on it, it runs like poo poo pretty much regardless

Yeah, this is sort of what I figured :(

I can't imagine it's an easy game to get running well. Most games can hide the stuff you don't need to see, but since so much of Subnautica takes place in 3 dimensions they pretty much have to have everything in the surrounding area loaded in at all times.

Speaking of, I finally made it to dry land last night. It felt really weird dealing with gravity again haha.

Radio Free Kobold
Aug 11, 2012

"Federal regulations mandate that at least 30% of our content must promote Reptilian or Draconic culture. This is DJ Scratch N' Sniff with the latest mermaid screeching on KBLD..."

It's really easy to forget that you're actually not a fish. You live underwater, you move faster underwater, you get all your poo poo underwater. When you go back on dry land it's like "Oh yeah, I'm a monkey not a dolphin I almost forgot :downs:"

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

Dunno-Lars posted:

The Jump Jet module does not stack, so you can safely swap one of them out for something else.

Jets, Thermal, Depth, Cargo (more drill space).

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011

Taerkar posted:

Jets, Thermal, Depth, Cargo (more drill space).

i do appreciate how the +cargo on the prawn actually expand the one inventory it has, instead of add another pouch like it does to the seamoth

WaffleLove
Aug 16, 2007
Creative mode > Story Mode. It feels really nice just to be able to zip around in a Seamoth, lets you explore the map in a worry free manner as a mini break from the story mode. Every time I reach the dead zone though, I'm assuming that the end of the map? I made it there with a Cyclops and hugged the walled going down, and got attacked by 4 ghost leviathans at the 1k mark and was like no bottom yet so I started going back up.

Is it safe for me to make a save in creative mode and my story mode save will continue? Or will it rewrite it? It looks like theres only one slot :(

Radio Free Kobold
Aug 11, 2012

"Federal regulations mandate that at least 30% of our content must promote Reptilian or Draconic culture. This is DJ Scratch N' Sniff with the latest mermaid screeching on KBLD..."

Yeah, the dead zone is the edge of the map. You go in there and it just spawns Ghost Leviathans on you until you gently caress off.

WaffleLove
Aug 16, 2007

Radio Free Kobold posted:

Yeah, the dead zone is the edge of the map. You go in there and it just spawns Ghost Leviathans on you until you gently caress off.

Yeah that what I figured when they started to spawn more as I went down further. Very good mechanic tbh. Thanks for clarifying :)

Ixjuvin
Aug 8, 2009

if smug was a motorcycle, it just jumped over a fucking canyon
Nap Ghost

PantsBandit posted:

Yeah, this is sort of what I figured :(

I can't imagine it's an easy game to get running well. Most games can hide the stuff you don't need to see, but since so much of Subnautica takes place in 3 dimensions they pretty much have to have everything in the surrounding area loaded in at all times.

Speaking of, I finally made it to dry land last night. It felt really weird dealing with gravity again haha.

IIRC it's because they originally made the game engine to have completely deformable terrain, which made it run like poo poo, and they never actually took a large portion of the code out or something, so there's a bunch of crap ticking away in the background doing nothing.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

R. Mute posted:

The whole point of the cyclops is that having one means you never have to build a second base. Anything you can do in a base you can do in a cyclops, although being able to recharge power cells comes later and is never very effective so you will want to build like eighteen of those and a whole bunch of batteries so you only have to return to your normal base once ever to recharge them, and even thats based on puttering around doing poo poo that isnt needed.

Although its also a really amazing cargo truck, yeah, incredibly useful for that if you DO want to build a second base. You can even store an entire base inside (I do, I have a locker for scanner room and thermal power, and one the moonpool and upgrade station, and a third for power cell chargers. If needed, I just build a base on the fly and disassemble it when I am done)

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011

GlyphGryph posted:

The whole point of the cyclops is that having one means you never have to build a second base. Anything you can do in a base you can do in a cyclops, although being able to recharge power cells comes later and is never very effective so you will want to build like eighteen of those and a whole bunch of batteries so you only have to return to your normal base once ever to recharge them, and even thats based on puttering around doing poo poo that isnt needed.

Although its also a really amazing cargo truck, yeah, incredibly useful for that if you DO want to build a second base. You can even store an entire base inside (I do, I have a locker for scanner room and thermal power, and one the moonpool and upgrade station, and a third for power cell chargers. If needed, I just build a base on the fly and disassemble it when I am done)

As soon as you get the thermal charge you stop really needing a base unless you need a scanner room. Vents are all over, just put up a cell charger and charge away

basically once you've made your go down to the lava spot you've got everything you need

Radio Free Kobold
Aug 11, 2012

GlyphGryph posted:

I wound up doing that for my trek into the volcanic abyss. Just pack like, six thermal plants and scanner rooms worth of stuff into a few lockers and set up a rangemodded scanner in every major room to scout the terrain ahead and below.

WaffleLove
Aug 16, 2007

Ixjuvin posted:

IIRC it's because they originally made the game engine to have completely deformable terrain, which made it run like poo poo, and they never actually took a large portion of the code out or something, so there's a bunch of crap ticking away in the background doing nothing.

O wow that explains so much. They really need to remove that code :(

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

WaffleLove posted:

O wow that explains so much. They really need to remove that code :(

apparently they can't without the unity source code

why this is the case has never been elaborated on and i believe the real reason is that they just aren't very good coders but that's been the running line from them

Bryter
Nov 6, 2011

but since we are small we may-
uh, we may be the losers
You can still actually use the console to change the terrain. I discovered this when my seamoth glitched through the map and googling told me how I could dig it out.

Then I foolishly had the idea to use this new knowledge to hollow out a small mountain and build a big bond villain-esque base in it, which was really neat until I came back and found out the terrain reset when you loaded the game again

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

financially racist posted:

apparently they can't without the unity source code

why this is the case has never been elaborated on and i believe the real reason is that they just aren't very good coders but that's been the running line from them

...Isn't one of the main draws of Unity that it's super modular, so parts can be rewritten or changed easily without having to gently caress with the entire game :confused: They must have REALLY done some crimes to gently caress it up that bad

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

GlyphGryph posted:

Meanwhile, in response to a system describes as "tedium" (but which has great potential for real meaningful risk and reward choices) you propose a system that is literally tedium incarnate - every time the player takes damage, they now have to decide between risking their vehicle by continuing the journey, or doing a boring and time consuming jaunt back to home base to repair. Which is exactly the same as how the current mechanic works except you have added a buttload of transit time, aka tedium.

Literally never had the "tension" you are talking about happen. Repairing your vehicle is quick and easy. Most of the time you can dispatch of whatever damaged you with ease and then patch up the small amount of damage you received. Exceptions would be something like leviathans but that's an obvious edge case. But even in the case of leviathans you can just do the incredibly difficult maneuver of....driving away. Enemies in this game do not chase you aggressively once you leave their patrol zone. Escaping danger and reaching an area where you can pull out your repair tool is not difficult. Once you understand this, all the tension involved in hull damage vanishes. The other day I was intentionally pissing off a ghost leviathan and letting it chomp my seamoth while I took pictures of this. At no point during this was I worried about losing my vehicle, because I knew I could just drive 50 feet away and then patch it up. There is no tension.

I've never had hull damage be relevant outside of encounters with them and one situation where an ampeel gnawed my seamoth to death while I was loving around in a wreck. The rest of the game? Its just been me jumping out and patching it up after bumping into walls too much. Its a mechanic that is barely relevant, and if its barely relevant then it isn't doing its job. Also punishing the player for every minor collision is not only irritating, but its also pointless when you can just patch up the ship immedeatly. Running into a spadefish and having to spend 10 seconds jumping out, pulling up the repair tool, patching up, and then going back to driving is insanely tedious. There is no tension there and you are delusional if you think that is the case.

Lastly, you can't call going back to base as a consequence of your failures tedious when its already something you have to do anyways. Its part of the core gameplay loop due to the inventory limit. Changing the hull system might make the player have to go back sometimes when they gently caress up, but more realistically it would probably just remove the annoyance of you having to worry about every minor collision. And if you do find yourself getting damaged to much, there are vehicle upgrades specifically designed to prevent damage from occurring. So you could just use those! Or do you think those upgrades being irrelevant is good game design?

EDIT: I mean you can literally use a stasis rifle to stun whatever is damaging you and repair your ship to full health during the eternity that its incapacitated. You don't even need to run or kill. There's only tension in hull damage if you're actively ignoring all the ways to easily mitigate it.

Internet Kraken fucked around with this message at 19:37 on Feb 19, 2018

Fano
Oct 20, 2010

Danaru posted:

...Isn't one of the main draws of Unity that it's super modular, so parts can be rewritten or changed easily without having to gently caress with the entire game :confused: They must have REALLY done some crimes to gently caress it up that bad

Unity comes bundled with a built in terrain editor of sorts that is very useful for quick prototyping and I'm guessing has some usability in procedural generation.

If you build an entire map on that foundation, removing it and replacing it with a more 'optimized' version (after some higher up project manager comes back and says "nvm don't do procedural") may not be a trivial task regardless of how good a coder/designer you are.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mechanical Ape
Aug 7, 2007

But yes, occasionally I am known to smash.
"Hello, would you have a few minutes to discuss Squid Jesus' plan for your life?"