Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

uftheory posted:

It was one of the more rewarding discoveries in the game for me (I knew about it, wanted it, then eventually got it) and I'm surprised people want to take that away and make it available from the start.

It's Early Access syndrome. People play a game in its development and decide they like certain things and don't want it to change. It's the same reason there was such backlash over corpses in Darkest Dungeon.

Personally I don't see the problem. If you've played the game in EA you know where the multipurpose rooms are. If you haven't, you don't know what you're missing and will be pleasantly surprised when you do find them.

Heck, from some of the LPs and streams I've watched some people don't even bother to build a base at all until they're like halfway through the game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.
Yeah, these days when I start up a new game of subnautica, once I have a seaglide I head straight for floater island so I can scan what I need to build my main base and get it stocked with edible plants.

Aerofallosov
Oct 3, 2007

Friend to Fishes. Just keep swimming.
I am really bad at driving the cyclops. Is that usual?

Jessant
Jun 16, 2001

Aerofallosov posted:

I am really bad at driving the cyclops. Is that usual?

Yeah its a clumsy deathtrap at first, a couple more terrifying failures and you will start to get it. If you want shortcuts:

Get the sonar upgrade so you aren't confused and overwhelmed by the cave and canyon environments due to terrible visibility. Turning off the internal lights seems to help but might be a placebo.
Use the external cameras whenever your moving, watch that tail swing.
Use slow ahead and silent running once you are in the depths, less crashing into the walls, less monster aggro.
Dont Panic when a monster does attack just keep going where you are going in slow ahead and silent running.

dmboogie
Oct 4, 2013

Found my first time capsule!

Had aeorgel and nickel ore, plus some other stuff probably but it kinda got mixed up in my inventory. Dunno how useful this is, but at least the message was pleasant!

Microcline
Jul 27, 2012

GlyphGryph posted:

You can find them via:
Commander Keen's orders (he sends a transmission ordering you to meet him on the floating island, and if you have even a modicum of curiosity it's impossible to miss the base with the multi-purpose room. You might not realize you should scan it, though)

Uncovering either the grand reef or jellyshroom cave Degrassi seabases. These are also plotline locations, although they require you to have actually completed the plotline tasks on Floater Island to show up on your HUD, so they are mostly a second and third chance to do the scan if you didn't realize you were supposed to while exploring earlier. Entering the Jellyshroom caves at all should immediately reveal some constructions and provoke you to explore for more though, so still a valid route - I actually found that really early on without being guided there. Deep reef base you probably won't just stumble upon.

The Sunbeam plotline - this should end with you exploring inside the alien base and also the rest of the island. They have towers that light up and literally guide you to the portal from right next to where you are supposed to meet the Sunbeam. The portal drops you off right near the scannable bases on Floater island.

If you explore the mountain island a little bit you should find the portal - there's a very clear path that leads you right to it, with moving parts and lights to make it more obvious.

Also I don't mind them locking up the multipurpose room because it's... not really terribly useful? It's mostly there for decoration and optional late game stuff, if you spend the whole game without it the only thing you miss out in is the alien containment - and you can only get that from places that have multipurpose rooms to scan!

IIRC two of the lifepod signals (17 and 13) are next to jellyshroom cave entrances, one of which (13?) is directly above the Degrassi seabase. You get 17 for crafting the seaglide and 13 for entering the grand reef, although reaching it from the other side would probably be difficult without the seaglide or prior knowledge.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Huh. Yahtzee in his Zero Punctuation persona actually liked a game. High praise indeed.

(edit) Whoops, forgot to mention, spoilers ahoy.

Ciaphas fucked around with this message at 05:39 on Feb 22, 2018

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Well this game finally made me scream in terror. I was poking around in the shallows near the Aurora wreck when I suddenly heard a shrieking noise. I turn around and there's a reaper leviathan right behind me, clipping through rocks because its model can't properly fit into water that's only 5 meters deep.

I wasn't expecting that at all so I freaked out. I don't think it was supposed to go that shallow since its movements were really wonky and it couldn't seem to attack me either.

EDIT: It came back and I tried to take pictures of it like an idiot thinking it couldn't attack. Well it could. It threw me out of the water and i soared through the air, flying right over the loving aurora and landing about 1200 meters away from it.

Now to figure out how to get back to my seamoth without swimming past it. Or maybe this time it could fling me towards my base? :regd09:

Internet Kraken fucked around with this message at 07:57 on Feb 22, 2018

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox
What is the trick to getting inside the aurora? Because I explored for a bit then gyrados attacked me and I poo poo my pants.

WaffleLove
Aug 16, 2007

PantsBandit posted:

What is the trick to getting inside the aurora? Because I explored for a bit then gyrados attacked me and I poo poo my pants.

When that Leviathan is around, get out of your seamoth if you went there with it :) Park it close to the ship, and seaglide around. I found it didn't attack that way :) I can spoil it completely below for you :) It mainly stayed near the one area in my playthrough by doing this. IT only attacked/came around hen I was zipping around in my seamoth

IF you meant location. Check the broken front of the ship, you'll find it on some flooring that sticking into the water. Make sure you have propulsion cannon, a few fire extinguisher, your repair gun, laser cutter, some waters, some food.

Microcline
Jul 27, 2012

PantsBandit posted:

Spoiler on where the entrance is:
It's in the exploded section at the front. You'll know when you're there because while the back is sealed and largely intact the front is falling apart with decks dipping into the water.

Spoiler on getting in:
I normally seaglide in either going perpendicular to the bow from the west or directly at it from the north. I think approaching from the west is more likely to pass through a reaper's patrol route but I'm not sure and the route is shorter. The important thing is to be direct and not stop until you hit the entrance. If you're always going forward at top speed you spend less time in patrolled waters and are less likely to be hit from a blind spot. At full health you can survive a hit from a reaper so I'd carry a couple medkits.

Aerofallosov
Oct 3, 2007

Holy crap, the cyclops eats power cells. But I made it into The lava area! It's really, really tough to navigate and these sea dragon dudes are really rude...

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
There isn't an exterior growbed sized for only one plant right?

WaffleLove
Aug 16, 2007

Internet Kraken posted:

There isn't an exterior growbed sized for only one plant right?

You mean like the one size pots for indoors? No. Something tells me if that was the case, they'd of been in the same location.

Bryter
Nov 6, 2011

but since we are small we may-
uh, we may be the losers

Aerofallosov posted:

Holy crap, the cyclops eats power cells. But I made it into The lava area! It's really, really tough to navigate and these sea dragon dudes are really rude...

Yeah and silent running may as well be labeled STRAND ME

Falken
Jan 26, 2004

Do you feel like a hero yet?
I was doing a little orbit of the Mountain island, and heard a rather disconcerting roar from below. Upon inspection, turns out it was a Reaper Leviathan bearing down on me. Somehow I managed to avoid it by backing up rapidly and doing half rolls, to the point where I breached the surface full pelt in reverse.

I loving love this game, even if it gives me all the anxiety.

Also, I have only got 1 part of the moonpool. Going crazy trying to find more. :(

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Funny, I've been to the Aurora a few times and never attracted a Reaper. I saw one way in the distance once, but it didn't come near me.

Vargs
Mar 27, 2010

Aerofallosov posted:

The cyclops barely uses any power if you have the efficiency upgrade. You can find an already-built one in the Aurora. You also might have lava slugs attached to your sub. Those drain energy.

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

Vargs posted:

The cyclops barely uses any power if you have the efficiency upgrade. You can find an already-built one in the Aurora. You also might have lava slugs attached to your sub. Those drain energy.

if you unseat the cells before you hop in your prawn you won't attract as many larvae either

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
I wish the sonar pings were about half the current speed and the overlay lasted twice as long. That would halve the power draw and make it worth using pretty much all the time, IMO.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Mein Kampf Enthusiast posted:

Funny, I've been to the Aurora a few times and never attracted a Reaper. I saw one way in the distance once, but it didn't come near me.
Same, I'm on my third playthrough (well second and a half, first one I never finished) and I've been attacked by leviathans in total maybe a half dozen times. It's not hard to avoid their attention, just turn off the lights when in their areas and move slowly if you hear them. I've only even seen one near the front of the Aurora twice. Collecting materials near the back of the Aurora is a lot more dangerous, at the front end those drat headcrab things are more of a real threat.

Bhodi posted:

I wish the sonar pings were about half the current speed and the overlay lasted twice as long. That would halve the power draw and make it worth using pretty much all the time, IMO.
This would be very nice. HexiDave, have you poked around in anything like this where you could comment on whether this is possible to mod?

HexiDave
Mar 20, 2009

wolrah posted:

Same, I'm on my third playthrough (well second and a half, first one I never finished) and I've been attacked by leviathans in total maybe a half dozen times. It's not hard to avoid their attention, just turn off the lights when in their areas and move slowly if you hear them. I've only even seen one near the front of the Aurora twice. Collecting materials near the back of the Aurora is a lot more dangerous, at the front end those drat headcrab things are more of a real threat.

This would be very nice. HexiDave, have you poked around in anything like this where you could comment on whether this is possible to mod?

Phone-posting, but both adjusting power and repeat rates are possible. I've got a few things I'm gonna play with tonight, so I'll give them a shot.

I've also been researching their voxel system to see if I could replace it with a cached model and streamed loading instead of generating it every time. If I can do that, I can eliminate pop-in completely. I still don't see what they're talking about saying Unity can't do it - voxels are much more complex to generate and render.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!

HexiDave posted:

Phone-posting, but both adjusting power and repeat rates are possible. I've got a few things I'm gonna play with tonight, so I'll give them a shot.

I've also been researching their voxel system to see if I could replace it with a cached model and streamed loading instead of generating it every time. If I can do that, I can eliminate pop-in completely. I still don't see what they're talking about saying Unity can't do it - voxels are much more complex to generate and render.

So I ran your new installer (made sure it pointed at the right place) and re-ran AssemblyPatcher successfully. But I still get all floaty in my base. Is this one of those 'you need to start from scratch' things? :(

HexiDave
Mar 20, 2009

feedmegin posted:

So I ran your new installer (made sure it pointed at the right place) and re-ran AssemblyPatcher successfully. But I still get all floaty in my base. Is this one of those 'you need to start from scratch' things? :(

Shouldn't need to - can I see your output_log.txt from Subnautica/Subnautica_Data ?

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Bhodi posted:

I think that's the point though, for better or for worse all of the cyclops abilities seem to be balanced to not be used all the time.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Away all Goats posted:

I think that's the point though, for better or for worse all of the cyclops abilities seem to be balanced to not be used all the time.
Or the mentality of "Eh, you'll reach the Lava biomes eventually" for what lets you use them all the time.

While it's not power related, I'm fascinated by the fact the Fire Suppression mod is one of the few things in the game that requires endgame materials.

"What's that? You want an invulnerable force field? Oh sure, just some basic metals and mushrooms available pretty much everywhere, no problem-HOLY poo poo, you want a fire extinguisher!? Come back when you're in the endgame for something that OP". And even if you don't consider the Lost river "Late game" for some reason, Crystalline sulfur is surprisingly sparse in it. Compared to patches of deep shrooms bigger than your seamoth in a lot of readily accessible areas towards building the shield.

Section Z fucked around with this message at 01:18 on Feb 23, 2018

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.
I thought crystalline sulphur was sparse in the lost reef.
Then I took my prawn into the murky brine in the giant skeleton cave.

More than enough of it dotted around there while I was looking for nickel ore to make everything I wanted (which I also found there.)

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

EponymousMrYar posted:

I thought crystalline sulphur was sparse in the lost reef.
Then I took my prawn into the murky brine in the giant skeleton cave.

More than enough of it dotted around there while I was looking for nickel ore to make everything I wanted (which I also found there.)
Yeah, that's part of the joke. To make a glorified fire extinghuisher, your example is still using powered exo-suit to root around the briney depths of an ancient skeleton.

Which is still far and away the most effort involved for any Cyclops Module short of Depth upgrades. Meanwhile, everything you want for forcefield ingredients can be found with fins and an air tank, with no going anywhere near rivers of space acid.

Section Z fucked around with this message at 01:26 on Feb 23, 2018

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

Q: do the scanner room range upgrades stack?

also I really hope they do an optimization pass or two, this game makes my rig run insanely hot.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

HexiDave posted:

This would be absolutely incredible if possible.

Sininu
Jan 8, 2014

Are the devs on vacation right now?

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Sininu posted:

Are the devs on vacation right now?
They were for quite a while, but now it's back to "It's fixed!... In Experimental. No not that. No not that either. Cheevoes are though!" sort of talk like it was in Early Access.

Their current stance now that they are back is also that people would rather they work on their new content than "Spend another six months fixing bugs"

quote:

But yeah, we easily could spend another 6 months just fixing bugs, but we think that players would prefer we moved onto working on an expansion that will give them a new playing experience.

People falling through the earth is apparently still claimed to be a high priority, but it's been an issue with the game for well over a year now. And they still launched with it that way :sigh:

Grapplejack posted:

Q: do the scanner room range upgrades stack?

also I really hope they do an optimization pass or two, this game makes my rig run insanely hot.

Yes, they stack. Though the range mods are a very small distance per mod, so it may not feel like it if you did not know that. All four slots filled with range boosters is only 200m extra.

Also it won't find anything if it hasn't loaded/reloaded the terrain, so trying to scan after loading a save won't show you anything unless you take a trip in a seamoth or camera drone around where you want to scan first.

Section Z fucked around with this message at 01:53 on Feb 23, 2018

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

HexiDave posted:

if this happens i want you to post it all over their forums to make fun of how bad they are at programming

Sininu
Jan 8, 2014

I found it really strange how there was no update post on Steam for 1.0 like they did with all the other major updates before that.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

HexiDave posted:

Neat, definitely interested to see where this goes.

quote:

financially racist posted:

if this happens i want you to post it all over their forums to make fun of how bad they are at programming
Definitely this.

Also if you manage to do this you should really put up a donation link. Actually you should anyways because your mods already provide huge QoL improvements in this game, but if you manage to fix performance on top of fixing their "arbitrary restrictions and inventory juggling = challenge" silliness that'll be another level entirely.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Does the moonpool drain power even when its not charging a vehicle?

Section Z posted:

Their current stance now that they are back is also that people would rather they work on their new content than "Spend another six months fixing bugs"

I mean new content is cool but this game has serious bugs they need to fix. I'm almost certain I'm just not allowed to build the cyclops. Everytime I've built a cyclops my save has become afflicted by a loading issue where terrain fails to load in and then I can't save or exit the game. It kept costing me hours of progress so I eventually gave up on building the cyclops and haven't had the issue since.

This game already has tons of cool content. They should be focused on fixing it so people can experience that content properly.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Internet Kraken posted:

Does the moonpool drain power even when its not charging a vehicle?

I mean new content is cool but this game has serious bugs they need to fix. I'm almost certain I'm just not allowed to build the cyclops. Everytime I've built a cyclops my save has become afflicted by a loading issue where terrain fails to load in and then I can't save or exit the game. It kept costing me hours of progress so I eventually gave up on building the cyclops and haven't had the issue since.

This game already has tons of cool content. They should be focused on fixing it so people can experience that content properly.

Moonpool should not be draining any power when it's not recharging a docked object, outside of the token amount for fabrication when building mods.

Also, fixing bugs is haaaaaaaard and doesn't pay extra. DLC puts food on the table for giving us a female protagonist once deemed too impossibly difficulty to warrant the effort.

But seriously, given the rocky development they may honestly need to put out a DLC if they want to pay the bills, after having torn out their hair when all those new hires they were bragging about 'just for fixing the game before launch' were throwing money into the toilet RE; major game breaking bugs. Particularly with the Steam policy changes so they can't release an expansion without leaving EA after actual scam EA games that didn't even put in half the effort of Subnautica poo poo the bed.

Subnautica gives more the impression they are honestly trying, just really really bad at living up to their own hype they can't stop themselves from spouting off about. "We're 10 year vets! Where is your game tough guy? No way we'll launch early without fixing that, we're taking as much time as we need!... Uh, well... poo poo... You see, we launched early with all those bugs because.... We're 10 year vets, where is your game tough guy? (nailed it)"

Section Z fucked around with this message at 05:39 on Feb 23, 2018

Aerofallosov
Oct 3, 2007

So I finished the game. That was quite a run.

Saying farewell to my cuddlefish made me sad. The twist at the end was pretty funny, if kinda sad. And the sea emperor's lines were great, too. Poor thing.

HexiDave
Mar 20, 2009
I love digging into abandoned code:

code:
public void GenerateFromHeightmap(float[,] map1, float[,] map2, float[,] map3, float[,] map4, byte type1, byte type2, byte type3, byte type4, int offsetX, int offsetY, int offsetZ, int halfsize)
    {
      throw new Exception("TODO 7/15/2014 2:24:00 PM Steve");
    }
I haven't gotten around to actually tinkering with their terrain code yet to see what I could tear out to replace with a cached-model version, but it looks like they really did go 100% deep on the voxel engine for everything. I'll eventually figure out where to start converting everything, and then we'll see how much more performance could be gained.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Maybe they are keeping all that code because they will one day add a randomized mode

I can dream right