Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
If they made suits have a max depth but gave all the blueprints for better suits right away it might be fine

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless

TK-42-1 posted:

You have to mod the mk1. there’s no standalone mk2.

Da gently caress... I could have sworn I didn't have any upgrade blueprints, but then I checked my PDA and there's a poo poo ton of upgrades available, including stuff like the cargo compartment and both depth mod upgrades. Does that only appear when you get the vehicle modification station? That's the only significant thing I can recall finding in between posting that and noticing the upgrades.

Anyway, down to 900m I go in a fully blinged out Seamoth.

Section Z posted:

Don't play hardcore Subnautica, learn the painful lesson of resident posters

Don't play any hardcore mode IMO, no game is bug free enough to make it not frustrating.

Freedom is where it's at. As much as my brainstem enjoys the pavlovian thrill of having more meters to refill, Survival very quickly got tedious and didn't really add any feeling of challenge, it just takes time away from exploring and building cool new poo poo.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

cheetah7071 posted:

If they made suits have a max depth but gave all the blueprints for better suits right away it might be fine

nooooooo

with the awful randomness you'd never progress. I beat the game without knowing that the heat-proof suit or the water-producing suit even existed.

it's the future, just assume you've got a wetsuit and helmet made of some future polymer that can withstand 2km depth's worth of pressure. if it's a problem remember you're building underwater bases with a gun and 4 handfuls of titanium :v:

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

I'm just a total piece of shit and I'm not sure why I keep posting on this site. Christ, I have spent years with idiots giving me bad advice about online dating and haven't noticed that the thread I'm in selects for people that can't talk to people worth a damn.
A: is there any way to craft from storage
B: is dying basically guaranteed in a new playthrough at some point or is it an easy game

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Mein Kampf Enthusiast posted:

nooooooo

with the awful randomness you'd never progress. I beat the game without knowing that the heat-proof suit or the water-producing suit even existed.

it's the future, just assume you've got a wetsuit and helmet made of some future polymer that can withstand 2km depth's worth of pressure. if it's a problem remember you're building underwater bases with a gun and 4 handfuls of titanium :v:

That's why I said you start with the blueprints unlocked. So like, the mk2 suit is locked behind finding silver, not finding fragments. And even then I'm just saying it could work, Mr that it'd be great.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

Do you want your breadcrumbs highlighted?

~SMcD

Verviticus posted:

A: is there any way to craft from storage
B: is dying basically guaranteed in a new playthrough at some point or is it an easy game

A) Nope, but mods add that if you feel like modding the game.
B) Dying is pretty easy to avoid. I beat the game and only died once, and that was because I got lost inside a wreck and ran out of oxygen. The fauna were all trivially avoidable, and once I got the exosuit, basically harmless.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Verviticus posted:

If you play very carefully you can definitely beat the game without dying once even as a blind player. However, this is a dumb broken game with dumb glitches that will arbitrarily kill you with nothing you can do about it. So even if you want the challenge of permadeath in other games, don't touch hardcore mode. Its a mistake.

Meskhenet
Apr 26, 2010

i died when the sea dragon glitched through a rock. I punched his head with my prawn suit, he flung me 2k into the void underneath the map.

The prawn suit took a fairly long time to be destoryed be that too.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
I still need to stop being skittish around Warpers and actually explore deep enough to reach the proper underground. Any suggestions on that? I've got the armoured diving suit and a Prawn.

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus

Inescapable Duck posted:

I still need to stop being skittish around Warpers and actually explore deep enough to reach the proper underground. Any suggestions on that? I've got the armoured diving suit and a Prawn.

Use a stasis gun and never fear anything.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

Do you want your breadcrumbs highlighted?

~SMcD

ded posted:

Use a stasis gun and never fear anything.

Well, except for the part where warpers can teleport out of the stasis bubble :v:

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Gwyneth Palpate posted:

Well, except for the part where warpers can teleport out of the stasis bubble :v:

That's why I prefer the repulsion cannon. The way warpers sail away is comical

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Away all Goats posted:

That's why I prefer the repulsion cannon. The way warpers sail away is comical

The repulsion gun also works on reaper leviathans by pointing in their general direction, rather than watching the stasis shot clip right through their massive body because :effort:

Sure it only pushes them back about 10 feet per shot, and sure they don't seem at all discouraged from their AI routine (No, no, leave my parked seamoth 100 m away alone. bad reaper). But it's hilarious slowly air juggling reapers.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Can you kill the Leviathans? I could have sworn in the Neebs Subnautica series they killed one with a torpedo.

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus

Gwyneth Palpate posted:

When they teleport out they go away and don't bug you anymore. After you've stabbed them 2+ times anyways.

twistedmentat posted:

Can you kill the Leviathans? I could have sworn in the Neebs Subnautica series they killed one with a torpedo.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NSBAtz_K5CE

Yes.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

twistedmentat posted:

Yes, but it takes ridiculously long to do so. The amount of torpedos you have to put into a leviathan to kill it is comical. If you really want too you're better off spending 10 minutes cutting it to death with the stasis rifle/knife combo.

Mandrel
Sep 24, 2006

Gwyneth Palpate posted:

A) Nope, but mods add that if you feel like modding the game.
B) Dying is pretty easy to avoid. I beat the game and only died once, and that was because I got lost inside a wreck and ran out of oxygen. The fauna were all trivially avoidable, and once I got the exosuit, basically harmless.

i've only died early on to thirst from going on long trips and forgetting to pack any water

i could've probably scrounged some up but i just said gently caress it

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
I died once to getting lost in a wreck and not being able to find my way out in time

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

I'm pretty sure running out of oxygen due to being lost in wrecks/caves and forgetful is the most common cause of death in the game.

I keep forgetting you can charge the stasis rifle. I need to go try scanning leviathans with it.

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus

Internet Kraken posted:

Yes, but it takes ridiculously long to do so. The amount of torpedos you have to put into a leviathan to kill it is comical. If you really want too you're better off spending 10 minutes cutting it to death with the stasis rifle/knife combo.

Nah it only takes about 2 minutes. See above. :)

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Was that the gun island Reaper? Probably a good sign I'm starting to recognise the geography.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
I take it this game does not have advanced enough thermodynamics modelling to prevent you from fueling a bioreactor using plants grown inside the base powered by that bioreactor

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

cheetah7071 posted:

I take it this game does not have advanced enough thermodynamics modelling to prevent you from fueling a bioreactor using plants grown inside the base powered by that bioreactor
Pretty sure plants grow even in an unpowered base, so it's really the soil that's very energy dense but the reactor can't process it directly. In any case bases in the game aren't closed systems so even if the power was providing some energy for plant growth the added energy would come from soil and/or water from outside the base.

Or more simply, that would add irrelevant logistical concerns and not be fun at all, so I'm surprised no one on their forums has suggested it.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Silly lesson of the day; shooting your own Seamoth with the Stasis Rifle will freeze it in place even after you get in until the effect wears off.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Some people do the bare minimum of base building, I think on the other hand I go overboard. But at least I think I have enough materials on hand in the Cyclops to plop down a pre-fab base anywhere I need one right quick. Wondering where I should look to expand... considering the Grand Reef, if I can find a nice quiet spot outside the territory of anything overly hostile.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

I really loved the early half or 2/3rds of this game but towards the end once I was in the lost river area I just wanted to push through to wrap things up. I was re-invigorated by building a new base right at the start of the lost river so I could make pretty much anything I needed, but then pushed on to the deep lava zone and found the alien base.

Went to open the door and realized that I needed a blue tablet. I hadn't even gotten one before and never found a blueprint to make one, so at that point I just decided to say gently caress it and cheated one in. Made it through and realized I needed ion cubes which I also didn't have with me so I went nuts and cheated those in. I then discovered that to progress to the actual end of the game I needed to technically go back and craft more poo poo for the macguffin and REALLY said gently caress it let's do this, cheated that in, made it out, gave myself everything for the spaceship and got the gently caress out.

I know I'm an rear end in a top hat for giving myself everything I needed to finish the game but, christ by that point I was so ready to just be done with it that I happily did it. I probably would never have finished the game if I wasn't able to do that tbh. I think this game was at its best when you had nothing and were skimming the shallows for parts that let you go a little deeper. Overall I spent more time loving this game than I did trying to work through the tedium to wrap it up so I'd still probably recommend it but yeah it really petered off after a while for me.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum
Is there a point where the story is supposed to pick up again and your infection spreads when you visit another alien base or you get more radio messages after getting contacted by pod 19? Because the story just kind of stopped and I raided the aurora and am just plutzing along at my own slow rate building poo poo, but the story's just kind of stopped.

U.T. Raptor
May 11, 2010

Are you a pack of imbeciles!?

Inescapable Duck posted:

I'm pretty sure running out of oxygen due to being lost in wrecks/caves and forgetful is the most common cause of death in the game.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Peaceful Anarchy posted:

Pretty sure plants grow even in an unpowered base, so it's really the soil that's very energy dense but the reactor can't process it directly. In any case bases in the game aren't closed systems so even if the power was providing some energy for plant growth the added energy would come from soil and/or water from outside the base.

Or more simply, that would add irrelevant logistical concerns and not be fun at all, so I'm surprised no one on their forums has suggested it.

I'm reasonably certain that the soil is made of solid titanium so I dunno about the nutrients in it

I was mostly just surprised that growing wasn't a massive power expenditure. Not that getting infinite power is particularly hard, so who cares I guess

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

explosivo posted:

I really loved the early half or 2/3rds of this game but towards the end once I was in the lost river area I just wanted to push through to wrap things up. I was re-invigorated by building a new base right at the start of the lost river so I could make pretty much anything I needed, but then pushed on to the deep lava zone and found the alien base.

Went to open the door and realized that I needed a blue tablet. I hadn't even gotten one before and never found a blueprint to make one, so at that point I just decided to say gently caress it and cheated one in. Made it through and realized I needed ion cubes which I also didn't have with me so I went nuts and cheated those in. I then discovered that to progress to the actual end of the game I needed to technically go back and craft more poo poo for the macguffin and REALLY said gently caress it let's do this, cheated that in, made it out, gave myself everything for the spaceship and got the gently caress out.

I know I'm an rear end in a top hat for giving myself everything I needed to finish the game but, christ by that point I was so ready to just be done with it that I happily did it. I probably would never have finished the game if I wasn't able to do that tbh. I think this game was at its best when you had nothing and were skimming the shallows for parts that let you go a little deeper. Overall I spent more time loving this game than I did trying to work through the tedium to wrap it up so I'd still probably recommend it but yeah it really petered off after a while for me.

Crabtree posted:

Is there a point where the story is supposed to pick up again and your infection spreads when you visit another alien base or you get more radio messages after getting contacted by pod 19? Because the story just kind of stopped and I raided the aurora and am just plutzing along at my own slow rate building poo poo, but the story's just kind of stopped.

No you guys, removing the signal beacons to the plot locations (and half the lifepods) you're missing was totally genius because I have the map memorized already-I mean, it's so obvious :downs:

"Go deeper :lol:" as a buried in your PDA text hint after the game still gives you beacon indicators for other spots just makes it that much more jarring to those without foreknowledge, or just love to shout "Well I thought it was obvious! :byodood:" to the huge line of people wandering by to say your exact understandable issues for the thousandth time.

As for the Blue tablet, it is in the often driven right past lava castle, an indistinct mound in the murky depths of the lava biome your cyclops can't go inside. Unlike every other alien base you can get the Cyclops within eyesight of. Which also has the much more obvious giant hole leading to the last location right in front of it, leading to explosivo's situation for months or driving or prawn walking right by it to the end without the key.

Also, there is only one blue tablet, so you would have had to stop to craft a second one anyways :v:

Section Z fucked around with this message at 20:26 on Mar 24, 2018

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Section Z posted:

No you guys, removing the signal beacons to the plot locations (and half the lifepods) you're missing was totally genius because I have the map memorized already-I mean, it's so obvious :downs:

"Go deeper :lol:" as a buried in your PDA text hint after the game still gives you beacon indicators for other spots just makes it that much more jarring to those without foreknowledge, or just love to shout "Well I thought it was obvious! :byodood:" to the huge line of people wandering by to say your exact understandable issues for the thousandth time.

You complain about these types of people a lot, presumably this kind of attitude prevalent on reddit? Why would anyone expose themselves to that?

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Jay Rust posted:

You complain about these types of people a lot, presumably this kind of attitude prevalent on reddit? Why would anyone expose themselves to that?

Oh you don't have to go anywhere near Reddit (I haven't) to see the average example of the Subnautica playerbase.

Anyone else remember the experimental build state where the fabricator would outright Delete items on a missclick, and took 30-45 seconds for crafting items?

Everyone annoyed by this choice and wanting it gone was a mean old dogpiler. So sayeth the official subnautica forums, steam, etc.

emoji
Jun 4, 2004
Those people don't really exist in any meaningful quantity he's just been maniaposting for years about the same poo poo.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

emoji posted:

Those people don't really exist in any meaningful quantity he's just been maniaposting for years about the same poo poo.
If it wasn't a meaningful quantity, they would not have removed the old signal beacon to the Lava castle. Which would clue people in that the dirt mound they just drove past instead of getting out and looking for a tiny door unmentioned anywhere while Sea Dragons approach was actually the plot :v: Just for starters.

All this poo poo people are unaware exists, or driving right by in favor of the more obvious route, literally had signals in the past. All their removal has added to the game is an increase in people unable to find them.

So here we are with another pair of SA posters running into these problems, but oh I'm just posting about nothing :rolleyes:

Section Z fucked around with this message at 20:45 on Mar 24, 2018

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

looks like we have a bad transmitter

Section Z posted:

If it wasn't a meaningful quantity, they would not have removed the old signal beacon to the Lava castle. Which would clue people in that the dirt mound they just drove past instead of getting out and looking for a tiny door unmentioned anywhere while Sea Dragons approach was actually the plot :v: Just for starters.

All this poo poo people are unaware exists, or driving right by in favor of the more obvious route, literally had signals in the past. All their removal has added to the game is an increase in people unable to find them.

So here we are with another pair of SA posters running into these problems, but oh I'm just posting about nothing :rolleyes:

poo poo, even knowing beforehand that it was easy to blow past the lava castle and that it existed I still had to use the console and coordinates to find the thing. I spent a good 10-15m looking around only to realize that i was about 15 ft too low and couldnt see it over the ridge.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

emoji posted:

Have you checked out the main subnautica forums? Where people used to fight you because you have the opinion that crafting things should not take five minutes. The forums where someone who joined those forums a year after I did accused me of joining just to argue against being forced to wait several seconds to craft something.

emoji
Jun 4, 2004

Cojawfee posted:

Have you checked out the main subnautica forums? Where people used to fight you because you have the opinion that crafting things should not take five minutes. The forums where someone who joined those forums a year after I did accused me of joining just to argue against being forced to wait several seconds to craft something.

Yea I have and you're looking at them with a filter bc it's still a tiny minority of people on one small forum of a game with millions of copies sold. Just about every suggestion there is about adding more vehicles and fauna and fixing bugs. Almost everyone there with anything to say about about finding the thermal plant say that it's too hard to find and it sucks that the signals were removed. I even found the crafting timer thread you mention with the person accusing people of signing up to vote and the vast majority of the votes and people want instant crafting. Seems fairly normal to me.

Ruggan
Feb 20, 2007
WHAT THAT SMELL LIKE?!

Game was ok. Neat concept but it just didn’t have much longevity for me.

Started on survival, quickly decided that managing food and water was an annoying chore, so I switched to freedom. The exploration and resource gathering was much more appealing to me anyway.

Base building seemed cool, but functionally speaking all I ended up needing was a moonpool and a few tubes with storage lockers.

The idea of a cyclops sounded cool but really it was completely unnecessary and I didn’t really end up using it much. Powering it ended up being a chore.

After a while it got kinda samey and I was glad to see all the biomes and be done. Like another poster said, game didn’t have any replayability. No urge to try again on any different mode.

On a positive note, I did really enjoy seeing most of the biomes for the first time.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Someone made a real life seamoth

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/travel/travel_news/article-3449540/Triton-submarine-latest-toy-superyacht-owners.html

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Putin already has one: