Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Verviticus posted:

depth limits?

Drake_263 posted:

Depth limits on your vehicles and O2 capacity on your personal tanks make a pretty convincing 'yeah, just don't even try it yet buddy' barrier. The jellyshroom cave for example would be completely fine to explore and navigate right out of the box, but is just deep enough that you can't navigate it with a stock seamoth - the highest spots on the ceiling are at about 200m - and 90 seconds of tank air don't exactly give you much room to explore. Less if you haven't fixed the Aurora yet and half the cavern entries are radioactive zones, forcing you to use the lead mask instead of a rebreather.

The stuff I've seen was in reference to scary monsters like reapers around the Aurora and not depth.

Though I guess if you haven't seen everything the game has to offer you may be holding out for something that actually lets you kill things. Or if you're scared to go near them you wouldn't have had a chance to see that they can't harm you unless you sit still and stare at them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
You probably don't want to mess around the Aurora without a complete toolkit. While there's nothing that lets you survive better (Prawn suit excepted) you don't really want to hang around there, so if you do go there, getting in, doing the entire Aurora wreck, and getting out is probably the best idea.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Reapers aren't poo poo.

I had vaguely remembered from watching an old version get streamed a while ago that the engine room was accessible via an underwater hole in the side of the ship's hull. I learned that this is no longer the case after circling the ship twice with a Seaglide. They couldn't catch me, and I didn't even do anything special to evade them. Just ignore them and keep moving and nothing bad happens to you.

I've only ever seen the Seamoth get grabbed and shaken around by them in other people's videos or streams and the only time I've taken any damage from them at all is while in a Cyclops because it's too slow.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

The Seaglide is actually the best way to deal with Reapers. The Seamoth is less manuevrable, and you need to exit it to do stuff, and the Reaper can attack it when it's out there floating. Meanwhile if you carry a big stack of medkits you can just heal yourself up if a Reaper does take a bite out of you.

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

Engage according to operational parameters
At 300m deep in the north-east boneshark/ electric eel area, there's an entrance to a small alien "base", that's nothing more than a tunnel leading to an alien arch. Is there a point to this base? I know that you can activate some of the alien arches into teleporters, but this one just seems useless.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
I was kinda disappointed that Reapers are the only Leviathans that scanner rooms can track. My absurd paranoia served me well in this game, with the Seamoth or Cyclops radar you can spot Leviathans a mile off if you're careful. I actually built a base right next to the Aurora with a ridiculously tall ladder going to the surface for the sheer hell of it, and built an observation room at the bottom just for watching the Reaper swim around.

Warpers are definitely the scarier/more annoying thing to deal with, with Crabsquids an honorable mention, though the latter are specifically one of the creatures that reacts to light. Which isn't an issue when you can turn off the Seamoth and Cyclops exterior lights, but a bit more of a pain in the Prawn; I looked up the trick where removing one of its power cells will cause the Prawn's lights to turn off. Cyclops, just go full Jehovah's Witness protocol when a Leviathan rocks up and sneak away once they're out of sight.

I did a full circuit of the Aurora early in the game in the Seaglide once and barely noticed the Reapers. Was a bit scary walking up on one of the rocks the Aurora is lodged on and seeing what looks like the tentacles of some squid-like monster peeking out of the water.

Ebola Dog
Apr 3, 2011

Dinosaurs are directly related to turtles!

redleader posted:

At 300m deep in the north-east boneshark/ electric eel area, there's an entrance to a small alien "base", that's nothing more than a tunnel leading to an alien arch. Is there a point to this base? I know that you can activate some of the alien arches into teleporters, but this one just seems useless.

The arches can only be activated on one side, if you find the arch paired to that one you will be able to stick an ion cube in it and activate the two arches and be able to use them both ways.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

redleader posted:

That mostly won't be particularly relevant until the endgame, though it'd be a good idea to drop a beacon there and maybe even a small base if you want for future use.

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

Engage according to operational parameters
Well I found myself in a cave system with poisonous green water pools (Lost River, I believe). I could see a bunch of big bones and cool poo poo beyond a cave opening that was guarded by a Ghost Satan juvenile, who took a couple of bites out of me and my seamoth. I figured the big cave behind him contained an alien base, so I waited for my nerve to come back and tried again. Turns out they're rather slow and easy to slip past, so I did! I tooled around in the cave for a bit, and didn't find anything interesting.

But then I realised my seamoth had 12% battery left. And I had no spares. And I had no idea where the exits were. So I panicked. Started speeding around looking for an exit, heedless of my personal safety - the thought of running out of power in this cave was scarier than the Ghost Satans. After a couple of dead ends and a rapidly falling power meter, I found one, and it was a huge relief to make the surface with 3% power left. The seamoth died around 1.5km from my base, and out of nowhere something takes a bite out of it. I shat myself a little, but it was just a boneshark who had silently locked on to me and who I introduced to the repulsion cannon.

Game owns.

I saw this Ghost Satan clip through the wall of a narrow cave. Is this because it's literally a ghost creature, or just a standard Subnautica 'surfaces are just a guideline' bug?

It's ridiculous how you get the alien containment unit in the 500m Degasi base. That's way later than I expected! I mean, I can build a massive submarine and the most advanced exoskeleton known to Alterra, but "a large aquarium" is beyond the grasp of my absurdly competent habitat assembler?

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Being social makes me swell!
To be fair, you can also find a blueprint for it in one of the wrecks.

Meskhenet
Apr 26, 2010

The skull down there is a good place to set up a base. Thermal vents and all.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Meskhenet posted:

The skull down there is a good place to set up a base. Thermal vents and all.

Yeah, it's almost ridiculously good. Safe, centralised location, large flat area, neat view.

I do find it a bit silly that I can apparently sneak around in a truck-sized submarine but the moment I pop out of it to scan a colossal skull, Casper the Angry Ghost senses me behind the colossal skull and makes a beeline.

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
The tree nearby is a way better spot to build, imo.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Podima posted:

The tree nearby is a way better spot to build, imo.

It's a wonderful spot, just remember that it's lower half is below Seamoth max/Prawn Default depths if you're trying to make a base there ASAP. So don't go in there with the prawn if for some reason you have yet to make a depth upgrade for it.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

I think I specifically picked the skeleton cave partly because it was right above max Seamoth depth for ease of commute.

The northern Blood Kelp Zone cave is also by far the easiest entrance to the deep underground sections that I'd found. Trying to get out via the Grand Reef seems near impossible in the Cyclops at least unless you're desperate.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

I loved exploring the caves but I was eventually a little disappointed that the bone zone wasn't the sprawling spiderweb of caverns it appeared to be at first and that there was essentially nothing but lore and mostly empty caves even deeper. The lack of wrecks to explore and more blueprints to find also made it less exciting to me.

This render I found of the world from the side shows that once you get underground there is very little gameplay area relative to the sea floor.

I hope the arctic expansion does more with the lower depth. I would like it if resource locations were more a function of depth than NESW, making you need to go deeper for more advanced resources (instead of, fore instance, the best place to find lithium and diamonds unintuitively being above sea level). I would also like it if there were parts of the sea floor that were near the max depth of the Cyclops/Prawn and had sunken human wrecks with blueprints that couldn't be found at higher depths. There should be caves, but they shouldn't be the entirety of the lower depths.

I think there's a chance that ice floating at or below the surface will mean they won't have to lean so heavily on caves at the lower depths so I'm hopeful.

Dunno-Lars
Apr 7, 2011
:norway:

:iiam:

That render is nice. I usually use the entrance to the north there. Goes right to one of the places you want to go, and there is a path further down you also want to go. Entrance area is the place with all the big round glowing plants.
The bulb zone http://subnautica.wikia.com/wiki/Bulb_Zone

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

I'm reminded of the Antarctic area in Endless Ocean, which is pretty good for having stuff at all levels.

Faffel
Dec 31, 2008

A bouncy little mouse!

I'm approaching the game having explored the second deepest biome and getting onto the final plot thread and feel really sad there isn't more to this game or any custom biome stuff that I can find, because it is one of the best entertainment experiences I've had for probably a decade.

As an old NS fan the bacteria being the kharaa blew my mind and I should have realized that way sooner. Pretty awesome.

Zazz Razzamatazz
Apr 19, 2016

by sebmojo
The game is coming to PS4 at the end of the year. If you're into that sort of thing.

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Gonna get it for my mate in Aus, she's got a VR thingie on PS4 so I'm hoping she'll play it and take me back

SugarAddict
Oct 11, 2012

WarpedNaba posted:

Gonna get it for my mate in Aus, she's got a VR thingie on PS4 so I'm hoping she'll play it and find out about reaper hugs first hand.

Fixed. The first time you see a reaper it's quite the "in your face and not going away" jumpscare.

Drake_263
Mar 31, 2010
I've never gotten a reaper hug in my two playthroughs and I'm almost disappointed. I feel they aren't really as aggressive as most people make them out to be - they're just an extremely rude surprise. Most of the time when you run into one for the first time, it's around the Aurora - and likely by then, the most dangerous thing you've seen before is a sand shark. Just enough time to feel confident that the things you run into in this game really aren't that dangerous afterall - then boom. Once you know that Reapers exist you know to keep an eye out for them and just avoid the drat things.

First time I came face-to-face with a Reaper, it was in my brand new Cyclops. He swam out of he gloom, looked at me for a second, then turned and swam away. I chose to respect his territory and go the other way.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Maybe because I played cautiously but I barely noticed Reapers until I set up an advance base near the Aurora and noticed something big swimming around in the background, and this after I'd done a close circle around it. (though as mentioned I did see the appendages of some huge creature breach the surface around the back of it) The same one I set up an observatory specifically to watch swim around.

Funny thing is that there's only one Reaper swimming around the gun island, but it's exactly in the direction you might normally approach said island from if starting from Lifepod 5.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
I mentioned it when it happened but my first Reaper Hug was hilariously not involving me. I was exploring the semi-open kelp area near the lifepod between it and the Aurora, around where Reapers start showing up near the Aurora, and hopped out of my Seamoth to skip down to the bottom of the shallow area for some ore and stuff. Two seconds later I hear the Reaper's roar and my Seamoth's panicked beeping and turn around just in time to see a Reaper erupt out of the kelp forest, grab my Seamoth, and carry it off shaking as it went. It let go before it destroyed it and disappeared off into the murk but I think that might've been arguably more affecting than if the Reaper had just grabbed me itself.

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

I'm just a total piece of shit and I'm not sure why I keep posting on this site. Christ, I have spent years with idiots giving me bad advice about online dating and haven't noticed that the thread I'm in selects for people that can't talk to people worth a damn.
is it possible to find a prawn suit depth mk2? a friend of mine has been to like five biomes total but somehow his prawn suit goes to 1700. he said hes never seen kyanite

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

Verviticus posted:

is it possible to find a prawn suit depth mk2? a friend of mine has been to like five biomes total but somehow his prawn suit goes to 1700. he said hes never seen kyanite

Could have been from a time capsule.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
I got it from a time capsule. I never found nickel in any reasonable depth places

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Nickel's kind of a pain, either it's under the acid or it looks a bit too much like Lithium, to say nothing of the large deposits.

Now, a handheld device to drill large deposits would be nice! I don't like having to resort to the Prawn for mining.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

I found Nickel pretty easy one I set up a nice little place in the Lost River. It's just getting there that's the hard part.

Maybe because I'm paranoid and also just love building stuff, but I found the base building makes a gigantic difference in your confidence in getting around and gathering resources.

Drake_263
Mar 31, 2010

Ghost Leviathan posted:

I found Nickel pretty easy one I set up a nice little place in the Lost River. It's just getting there that's the hard part.

Maybe because I'm paranoid and also just love building stuff, but I found the base building makes a gigantic difference in your confidence in getting around and gathering resources.

It very much does. The life pod is your starting base, yeah, but it's so limited, cramped, oppressive - it's a teenytiny little floating hut with a little storage box and that's it. You can't paint it, can't modify it, can't even move it - it's sort of helpless. When you build your first base, well, it might be a tube with a hatch on one end and a solar panel on another, but it's your tube. You pick where it goes, what's in it, how you expand it - you've gone from a frightened crash survivor huddled up in a life pod to carving your own little niche on this alien world.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

This game is the first single player game I have invested insane amounts of time into since KSP and I really hope that they introduce/add a way larger and deeper map with larger vehicles that I can scoot around in + add an xl moon pool for the cyclops or have a bigger nuclear powered sub that has two bays for your prawn and seamoth

At my current point I have no interest in getting off the planet and only care about building giant bases and amassing resources and scanning all the creatures, which is a first for me. It would be super cool if they catered to that play style more as well :3:

Drake_263
Mar 31, 2010

FAT32 SHAMER posted:

This game is the first single player game I have invested insane amounts of time into since KSP and I really hope that they introduce/add a way larger and deeper map with larger vehicles that I can scoot around in + add an xl moon pool for the cyclops or have a bigger nuclear powered sub that has two bays for your prawn and seamoth

At my current point I have no interest in getting off the planet and only care about building giant bases and amassing resources and scanning all the creatures, which is a first for me. It would be super cool if they catered to that play style more as well :3:

Subnautica is one of those games that makes me wish I could get selective amnesia and forget about it so I could experience it for the first time all over again. Like Breath of the Wild.

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed
They just released some official info about the upcoming expansion : https://unknownworlds.com/subnautica/subnautica-below-zero/

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Oasx posted:

They just released some official info about the upcoming expansion : https://unknownworlds.com/subnautica/subnautica-below-zero/

Interesting, it looks like they are going to have land vehicles in the expansion for driving across the ice.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Oasx posted:

:hellyeah:

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008
Embarked on ICE-DIGGER

prophet45
Aug 26, 2008
Just finished a play through last night, and man was it a good time.
I was quite late with building any crouched m vehicles, and it was rather interesting to see how much my play style changed as soon as I got my moth; swimming about on just my air tanks I explored most of the jellyshroom cave, diving three hundred metres to do one or two scans before hurrying back up. While after I built the moth, I hardly ever ventured more than a hundred metres from an oxygen source.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Do we know how the DLC will work if you don't have a completed game? My savegame is left in a lovely situation - a cyclops without power right at the bottom of the final area.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grand Prize Winner
Feb 19, 2007

It's not DLC but a standalone expansion (why not just call it a sequel idgi)