Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
I am

Edit: wow uh oops that was a dumb snipe

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Where are some really good base locations?

I always like to set up over one of the jellyshroom cave entrances. I'm not sure which one is best if any but they're all right next door to four or five different biomes, and not too far from the safe shallows geyser if you need a little extra power. I call it Jelly Shroom Junction. :kiddo:

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless
I usually put bases on the edge of a big cliff or peak for the coolness factor, regardless of how practical the location is.

Ebola Dog
Apr 3, 2011

Dinosaurs are directly related to turtles!

Really Pants posted:

Where are some really good base locations?

I always like to set up over one of the jellyshroom cave entrances. I'm not sure which one is best if any but they're all right next door to four or five different biomes, and not too far from the safe shallows geyser if you need a little extra power. I call it Jelly Shroom Junction. :kiddo:

First simple base around the safe shallows/kelp forest, second base I put near a jellyshroom cave entrance on the border of kelp forest and grassy plateaus and end game base down by the cove tree in the lost river.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Really Pants posted:

Then you've got medkits, lube, and rubber.

All the essentials for my sex dungeon!

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth
Cove tree is probably the best base place, not the least because you can easily get to it via the seamoth, or the cyclops. But you also want a base near the surface, so near the kelp-forest and stalkers is ideal.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Have they made it easier to farm stalker teeth?

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

In my last game the neighbors dropped like ten of them just playing with salvage on their own. All I had to do was scan.

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe

enraged_camel posted:

Have they made it easier to farm stalker teeth?

If you build a scanner room near lifepod 5, there's an area in the kelp farm where they just build up. Can get 10-12 of them per dive.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro
I've posted it before, but this is a good playthrough and technically canon since they included all of the characters in the base game:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=puU7C44XeAA

Back Hack
Jan 17, 2010

Toxic Fart Syndrome posted:

I've posted it before, but this is a good playthrough and technically canon since they included all of the characters in the base game:

The audio log they put in the base game based on this always give me a chuckle.

Hehe...ham & cheese.

ThingOne
Jul 30, 2011

Would you like some tofu?

When I set out to mine quartz I wasn't expecting to get shoved through the ground and have to spiderman my way out of hell. At least I got to meet my first Sea Dragon :shepface:.

Waffle House
Oct 27, 2004

You follow the path
fitting into an infinite pattern.

Yours to manipulate, to destroy and rebuild.

Now, in the quantum moment
before the closure
when all become one.

One moment left.
One point of space and time.

I know who you are.

You are Destiny.

Below Zero is pretty fun so far; artistically I like the blue palette. The headmouth penguins are fuckin' freaky but cute.

DropsySufferer
Nov 9, 2008

Impractical practicality

Heffer posted:

What's the deepest you can go from surface to bottom in one long vertical connector stretch? I found a spot next to the floating island arch bridge that let's me get to 540 meters. I'm winding if there's better.

The edge of the map let me dive down to about 8500 meters before it teleports you close to the escape pod. I wish they had an easter egg down there instead.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
That Seagull LP someone mentioned up thread is really good so far. He just got to the landing site and his reaction is perfect on everything, plus he's not an idiot when playing it and actually sorta plans for stuff (though still forgets materials when going places lol)

Edit: YOU CAN REPAIR THE DOOR IN THE BIG WRECK, CREATING AN EASY EXIT???? gently caress

Captain Invictus fucked around with this message at 10:18 on Feb 14, 2019

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Which door is that?

Morphix
May 21, 2003

by Reene

Really Pants posted:

Which door is that?

ya I'm curious too, does he mean the bottom entrance?

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

They tapdance not, neither do they fart

This is absolutely hilarious.

Getting the urge for underwater exploration again.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

OgNar posted:

It's good and I recommend watching the series. Also if you like that sort of thing and enjoy Half-Life, check out "Freeman's Mind". Basically the same idea. There's a Freeman's Mind 2 but it's incomplete and has been on hold for a few months.

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

wolrah posted:

It's good and I recommend watching the series. Also if you like that sort of thing and enjoy Half-Life, check out "Freeman's Mind". Basically the same idea. There's a Freeman's Mind 2 but it's incomplete and has been on hold for a few months.

Yeah I am definitely going to check out his other stuff.
I could swear the voice of the helpline sounds like McChris/Hesh though.

Runaktla
Feb 21, 2007

by Hand Knit

OgNar posted:

Just saw that lol pretty funny

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Really Pants posted:

Which door is that?

The huge chunk of ship that looks kinda like a boomerang in one of the red grass "fields", there is a door you can repair that dramatically eases the egress points. Like it's the one that specifically makes you loop and spiral around inside it which makes it one of the more disorienting and dangerous wrecks, but that door makes it so much easier and I never noticed!

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

I am crying.

Morphix
May 21, 2003

by Reene

Captain Invictus posted:

The huge chunk of ship that looks kinda like a boomerang in one of the red grass "fields", there is a door you can repair that dramatically eases the egress points. Like it's the one that specifically makes you loop and spiral around inside it which makes it one of the more disorienting and dangerous wrecks, but that door makes it so much easier and I never noticed!

The one right next to the mushroom cave entrance right? Ya I know what door you're talking about now. Wish the game had more opportunities like that to use the tools you had, not just get to more loot, but open up different ways to explore the wrecks. But I guess most of them are fairly small so it's not like it would make that big of a difference.

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

While I am enjoying it, I see that it is as buggy as it ever was.
Yesterday I ran into the same bug I hit like a year ago, in the prawn bay when you go under the water, through the pipes I hit an area where it looks like I can get some air. And it clips me through the ceiling, so I am now between the walls.
The cheat warpforward 10 got me out of it this time. Last time I think I had to go back an hour to my last save.

Just now I finally got my prawn suit built. I load it into the moonpool bay and as I am trying to access the upgrade menu, I just simply get into the suit and it drops me down, through the world and into the jellyshroom caves. Hopefully I can get back up to my base and build a jump upgrade or grapple upgrade and get it back, not sure if the cyclops can get down here.

Still, I do like this game over all. This time I am taking my time to get to big squid lady and just building all the things.
The scanner is a new one for me. Works well finding stuff like quartz, though I did have a helluva time trying to place it connected to my base. It just wouldn't place right.

e: Trying to walk it up this shaft.

OgNar fucked around with this message at 06:43 on Feb 17, 2019

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug
I would unironically love a Prawn sized air bladder module.

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Orion, this is Sperglord Actual.
Come on home.
I have a really bad habit of not saving my game which along with a bit of OCD when I play open world games means I am very familiar with the first 2 hours of gameplay now :shepicide:

Bugs and stupidity aside though it’s been enjoyable otherwise, I’ve been playing with a 360 controller because it kind of makes sense and their controller support is a little rough. It works but there’s a whole bunch of oddnesss it stuff like the PDA menus or naming lockers.

Mazz fucked around with this message at 16:24 on Feb 17, 2019

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

OgNar posted:

While I am enjoying it, I see that it is as buggy as it ever was.
Yesterday I ran into the same bug I hit like a year ago, in the prawn bay when you go under the water, through the pipes I hit an area where it looks like I can get some air. And it clips me through the ceiling, so I am now between the walls.
The cheat warpforward 10 got me out of it this time. Last time I think I had to go back an hour to my last save.

Just now I finally got my prawn suit built. I load it into the moonpool bay and as I am trying to access the upgrade menu, I just simply get into the suit and it drops me down, through the world and into the jellyshroom caves. Hopefully I can get back up to my base and build a jump upgrade or grapple upgrade and get it back, not sure if the cyclops can get down here.

Still, I do like this game over all. This time I am taking my time to get to big squid lady and just building all the things.
The scanner is a new one for me. Works well finding stuff like quartz, though I did have a helluva time trying to place it connected to my base. It just wouldn't place right.

e: Trying to walk it up this shaft.

The grapple arm should be easier--everything you need can be found above 500m. Can you leave the Prawn Suit there and go get your Seamoth to craft it?

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

Really Pants posted:

The grapple arm should be easier--everything you need can be found above 500m. Can you leave the Prawn Suit there and go get your Seamoth to craft it?

I did end up going up and building the grapple, luckily I had the materials.
Now I am in the process of making a river base which I will just leave a 2nd prawn suit for mining, just need to find some nickel.
Which I still haven't seen any of. I assume its all under that corrosive fog.
The main reason I am building a river base.

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless

OgNar posted:

I did end up going up and building the grapple, luckily I had the materials.
Now I am in the process of making a river base which I will just leave a 2nd prawn suit for mining, just need to find some nickel.
Which I still haven't seen any of. I assume its all under that corrosive fog.
The main reason I am building a river base.

Nickel deposits look annoyingly similar to silver deposits, and individual nickel ore chunks look a lot like... shale, I think? One of the higher tier rock types. Scanner rooms help a ton.

GoingPostal
Jun 1, 2015

I love Derek Smart
U love Derek Smart
If we didn't love Derek Smart, we'd be lame
I think I've plateaued in Subnautica at the moment. I got the last breadcrumbs down to the Jellyshroom forest, and nothing after that. Should I go looking for big wrecks to try and finish the cyclops? I think I've gotten everything out of the Aurora, and I think I've been over the floating island.... Have I gotten to far lost in the (sea) weeds and lost the main plot?

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

GoingPostal posted:

I think I've plateaued in Subnautica at the moment. I got the last breadcrumbs down to the Jellyshroom forest, and nothing after that. Should I go looking for big wrecks to try and finish the cyclops? I think I've gotten everything out of the Aurora, and I think I've been over the floating island.... Have I gotten to far lost in the (sea) weeds and lost the main plot?

no, you've still got a substantial way to go. make it a goal to try to go as deep as you can

Complications
Jun 19, 2014

GoingPostal posted:

Make some beacons and a compass if you haven't already, mark out where you've been, and then go places you haven't. Especially places that lead downwards. If you run into depth problems poke around for stuff to find in Aurora wrecks or whatnot. There's a lotta stuff and you haven't found the edge of the map until your PDA says so.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

GoingPostal posted:

Do you have a beacon ping for a sea base at 500m? If not, check the jellyshroom base more thoroughly.

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

A fishperson in an intimidating hat!

Basically if you run out of plot leads in Subnautica, by default you should try going deeper, in directions you haven't traveled in yet.

There are plot hooks in the Jellyshroom Cave plot location, check your PDA for logs that you missed picking up or go back for a more thorough search.

Also haul as much magnetite as you can fit in your cargo bays and inventory out of that cave, it will save you more trips later.

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

*in zoidberg ovice* try to find all the edges of the map; why not?

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

As for the Cyclops, I think you're better off searching the sea floor in certain biomes. Cyclops bits are usually rare in wrecks.

When Below Zero is closer to finished, Ice Station Poopsock is going to always be stocked with a dozen of every resource I can find or make.

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

If you want easy Cyclops fragments, the Sparse Reef is pretty safe enemy wise and has a ton of Cyclops and other good fragments.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
or you could just say gently caress it and go putzing around behind the rear of the Aurora because there's a million Cyclops bits there. Also 3 Reaper Leviathans in the same location, so, have fun with that and bring a stasis rifle

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Orion, this is Sperglord Actual.
Come on home.
I had this nagging feeling I was doing things out of order until I kind of got far enough and saw enough to realize there isn't any loving order, you're just supposed to wander around and pick things up along the way. It's pretty great.