Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

zzMisc
Jun 26, 2002

Wow, this version feels way more player-hostile than the previous one. Literally every time I surface I can't see anything due to the weather or darkness; the obnoxious sea monkeys seem more numerous and aggressive; crashfish apparently exist here now, or are more prolific if they did before as I never saw any in the Feb 2020 version; and it dropped me on the planet without even the scanner or basic blueprints and I'm having to hunt around blindly for even the most basic building blocks. Right now I'm gated by silver to finally make the habitat builder, but Argentite is weirdly super-rare, the mineral finder drains battery absurdly fast, and the Argentite I do find always seems to be in areas with massive sharks that eat my face while I'm looking for it.

Maybe I should just stop trying to play alphas and wait 'til it's done, but, you know, lockdown boredom.

zzMisc fucked around with this message at 00:33 on May 4, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Perpetual
Sep 7, 2007

Ali Aces posted:

Wow, this version feels way more player-hostile than the previous one. Literally every time I surface I can't see anything due to the weather or darkness; the obnoxious sea monkeys seem more numerous and aggressive; crashfish apparently exist here now, or are more prolific if they did before as I never saw any in the Feb 2020 version; and it dropped me on the planet without even the scanner or basic blueprints and I'm having to hunt around blindly for even the most basic building blocks. Right now I'm gated by silver to finally make the habitat builder, but Argentite is weirdly super-rare, the mineral finder drains battery absurdly fast, and the Argentite I do find always seems to be in areas with massive sharks that eat my face while I'm looking for it.

Maybe I should just stop trying to play alphas and wait 'til it's done, but, you know, lockdown boredom.

A few things:

-You've always had to craft the scanner, even in the release of the original game. You start with what you've pretty much always started with. The only thing that I can think of that has been significantly changed in this regard is the habitat builder was moved out of story progression and is a fragment, as well as adjusting the basic recipes you receive with the builder.

-Crashfish have been in for a while, but they were rarer before. At least it does seem like they're slightly less aggressive, as if you move away from them quickly when you first hear the sound they seem to pop back into their nests pretty reliably.

-You can scare away Sea Monkeys with flares, and immediately after starting one of the main plot threads the sea monkeys start giving you gifts instead of taking your stuff. Other than that, you swim faster when your hands are empty, so you really shouldn't be holding equipment longer than you need to in general.

-Silver is abundant in thermal spires, near the rocket island, you can also find tons of silver in ore veins in the walls of some caves in the glacial basin above ground areas in the northwest.

From looking at the favro, a lot of the story pointers are not yet or only partially implemented, and the major things they seem to be looking for from analytics from this build is where players left on their own explore first, and where they find/how difficult is it for them to find resources. It seems like they're trying to figure out how to make the progression feel natural, but to do that it seems like they're looking for a new baseline that they can build upon now that they've changed so much of the opening.

Comrade Koba
Jul 2, 2007

Are they replacing any voice actors? It feels a bit weird that the scene with the alien consciousness implanting itself into your skull is text only now when it used to be fully voiced in earlier builds.

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Being social makes me swell!
Kinda hope so, I could use a new VA bit.

Also, I'm stumped. I broke my own rule and used the wiki to beeline to a Moonpool since I can't stand constantly juggling out dead power cells.

Problem is, there's no Moonpool above 350 Metres, but I can't get the depth upgrade installed without a Moonpool. How do?

Corsec
Apr 17, 2007

Krazyface posted:

Is there any way to get the sea truck into that one flooded human facility with the vertical shaft, and all those drillable minerals? I get the feeling you're supposed to do it "on-foot", but it's a huge place to explore without an air source.

Are you talking about the abandoned underground mining operation a short distance west of rocket island? If so, the main doors are slightly too close together to allow you pilot the sub through. If you get out of the sub and put it at an angle to minimise it's profile in relation to the door, you can push it through and then pilot it around inside.

Perpetual
Sep 7, 2007

WarpedNaba posted:

Problem is, there's no Moonpool above 350 Metres, but I can't get the depth upgrade installed without a Moonpool. How do?

Depth upgrade for the sea truck is made in the fabricator module for the truck. You're still likely going to have to do some free diving, because all the fragments for the Fab module I know of are below 150, but the area has plenty of O2 plants (Deep Twisty Bridges)

Edit: You can also get the scan for power cell charger without having to go too deep, IIRC there is one around 200m and I think one in Snowfox Base

Perpetual fucked around with this message at 21:20 on May 3, 2020

Stathol
Jun 28, 2008

Ali Aces posted:

crashfish apparently exist here now, or are more prolific if they did before as I never saw any in the Feb 2020 version
Yeah, that version was bugged. The crashfish were always there, but they would spontaneously detonate pretty much as soon as they loaded in. Occasionally you could hear them exploding off in the distance. So you'd find their nests with sulphur if you knew where they were supposed to be, but you never encountered any actual crashfish. They fixed that bug about a month ago with the first release of the new story line.

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

They tapdance not, neither do they fart
And you really don't even need to get near them now with that sulfuric area that is just jam packed with lithium, sulfur and quartz.
I think lithium is even more abundant now than lead. Lead is the only thing I am constantly out of now.

SynthesisAlpha
Jun 19, 2007
Cyber-Monocle sporting Space Billionaire

Krazyface posted:

Is there any way to get the sea truck into that one flooded human facility with the vertical shaft, and all those drillable minerals? I get the feeling you're supposed to do it "on-foot", but it's a huge place to explore without an air source.

Actually yes, there's a volcanic cavern in a crevice that leads into it and is juuuuuust big enough for the truck. I made a base in the twisty bridges and it's due south from me. You can back-find it if you go to the main entrance and look up at the walls near the ceiling in the back.

zzMisc
Jun 26, 2002

Is it my imagination, or does the game actually notice when I finally hop on the vehicle bay with the seatruck components to hand, and play a special little tune before I've even started making it?

-Heh, I just scanned a locker and apparently that only reached 50% of the blueprint. My PDA can figure out how to make a fabrication machine to create any device from just scanning one, but the elusive "Tall Box" concept requires at LEAST two examples to sort out.

zzMisc fucked around with this message at 23:01 on May 4, 2020

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

A fishperson in an intimidating hat!

Perpetual posted:

Depth upgrade for the sea truck is made in the fabricator module for the truck.

I was coming here to ask for the minimal possible guidance to find Moon Pool fragments so I can fab up the first depth mod, which I already have the materials for, so thanks for this ~

So far diving from the truck at 150m into the twisty bridges has resulted mostly in my getting turned around a lot and re-searching the same spots around 200-250m. Seriously looking forward to being more thorough when I can finally build the upgrade.

SynthesisAlpha
Jun 19, 2007

LonsomeSon posted:

I was coming here to ask for the minimal possible guidance to find Moon Pool fragments so I can fab up the first depth mod, which I already have the materials for, so thanks for this ~

So far diving from the truck at 150m into the twisty bridges has resulted mostly in my getting turned around a lot and re-searching the same spots around 200-250m. Seriously looking forward to being more thorough when I can finally build the upgrade.

You could make an air pump and snake a metric fuckton of pipes down deeper than your seatruck can reach so you can have a closer oxygen refill point. You can also drop a couple beacons in different parts of the zone for triangulation so you stop going in circles. Carry an extra Oxygen tank or two as well! You'll have plenty of time to stay in that dark, deep area which has at least two different ways of eating you.

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Sweet, got me some power cell chargers at Snowfox (and holy poo poo that's a cool new room template), back to my simple life of building sex dungeons under the sea.

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

SynthesisAlpha posted:

You could make an air pump and snake a metric fuckton of pipes down deeper than your seatruck can reach so you can have a closer oxygen refill point. You can also drop a couple beacons in different parts of the zone for triangulation so you stop going in circles. Carry an extra Oxygen tank or two as well! You'll have plenty of time to stay in that dark, deep area which has at least two different ways of eating you.

I’ve had the spare tank along the whole time, turned out that getting to know the 150m part of the biome better and placing the truck consistently helped bring back the materials to upgrade the tanks, and then when I played a little this morning I nabbed parts scans for the fab and storage trailers within 2-3 dives, came back and stuffed my now-fat truck deeper for more thorough searches.

One of my kids came in to ask me something and chattered about watching archived Submautica streams, and also constantly chanted my truck’s depth as I was pushing past crush depth to get the lights into nooks and poo poo. Now I have to clear out SSD space to reinstall the vanilla game ~

DrDraxium
Dec 2, 2002

Plz state the nature of the medical emergency
So I am feeling like Below Zero might still be a year + away. My question to you divers: is it playable in it's current form? Will I be getting 80-90% of the final experience? Is it worth it?

Comrade Koba
Jul 2, 2007

DrDraxium posted:

So I am feeling like Below Zero might still be a year + away. My question to you divers: is it playable in it's current form? Will I be getting 80-90% of the final experience? Is it worth it?

The map seems to be pretty complete at this point, all the biomes and their associated flora and fauna are in place AFAIK.

However, since the latest update there’s pretty much no story content at all. You can still explore and build bases and poo poo, but at this point it’s mostly a sandbox with zero direction.

DrDraxium
Dec 2, 2002

Comrade Koba posted:

The map seems to be pretty complete at this point, all the biomes and their associated flora and fauna are in place AFAIK.

However, since the latest update there’s pretty much no story content at all. You can still explore and build bases and poo poo, but at this point it’s mostly a sandbox with zero direction.

Yeah the narrative experience is pretty important to me, so I guess I'll just keep waiting for now. Cheers.

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!
I also find a lot of below zero areas have really horrific frame rates, I've given up on it until they start polishing.

Dreadwroth2
Feb 28, 2019

by Cyrano4747
You can always just do personal challenge runs in base Subnautica, like "how many Reapers can I drill to death" and that sort of thing if you're bored.

SynthesisAlpha
Jun 19, 2007
I got pretty far and had a lot of fun building and exploring. The progression structure is a bit different from Subnautica, and they really force you to dive beyond your vehicle range a lot more often. Also there are a ton more ways to get eaten!

I gave up when I had to deep dive past a leviathan way beyond my seatruck's depth because the prawn suit depth modules aren't in past level 1.

Really looking forward to the story because what they have so far is cool and it will be great when it's all voice acted and such.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
Yeah why not leave it until 1.0

Why get the partial experience.

DrDraxium
Dec 2, 2002

Zesty posted:

Yeah why not leave it until 1.0

Why get the partial experience.

I know, I know ... it just feels like it's been forever in development for something which is effectively a reskinned Subnautica. I exaggerate and I'm trying to justify my whining is all.

:emo:

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
Come be a Dwarf Fortress fan.

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed

DrDraxium posted:

I know, I know ... it just feels like it's been forever in development for something which is effectively a reskinned Subnautica. I exaggerate and I'm trying to justify my whining is all.

They created a whole new map, two new vehicles, several new creatures and a whole new story, it is closer to being Subnautica 2 than just an expansion. Pretty much all the assets are done, it is just being delayed because they are re-doing the story.

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Zesty posted:

Wake me up when I can run a fort for 50 in-game years without the FPS going to 10.

Comrade Koba
Jul 2, 2007

DrDraxium posted:

IIRC the initial Early Access release was in February 2019 they aimed for a final, complete 1.0 release in October the same year. :allears:

Personally I don't mind waiting, but I wish they'd stop advertising every single update as being MAJOR and EXCITING and when the changelog for some of them basically consist of "added another weird coral I guess, lol".

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Yeah the development cycle for Below Zero seems to have been a complete train wreck. They went for what, two complete reworks of the story campaign so far? We had a rocket at the start which was sort of cool, that got scrapped and now they've switched voice actors and the entire orbiting station bit.

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
It doesn't help that I'm fat as fuck, so my face shouldn't be shown off in the first place.
The original's dev cycle was also a complete trainwreck so not really out of character.

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed

Demiurge4 posted:

Yeah the development cycle for Below Zero seems to have been a complete train wreck. They went for what, two complete reworks of the story campaign so far? We had a rocket at the start which was sort of cool, that got scrapped and now they've switched voice actors and the entire orbiting station bit.

From what I know they have changed the overall story once, and that is purely based on feedback from players.

There is no train wreck going on, the game has been in early access a bit over a year and everything non-story related seems to be done. I think some of you people are severely underestimating how much work has been put into this game.

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

They posted an update about Below Zero, it mostly just talks about the last update and how Covid is loving them up as much as us.
But while they will continue to work on it, it will likely be awhile before any voice gets recorded.

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

This is absolutely a developer that we can expect to put out a game which is compelling despite itself, and it utterly unplayable for about 5% of people due to a combination of bugs other players will see maybe once in 2-3 playthroughs.

Their greatest obstacle to success will be themselves and their planning. It will be normal for some months to feel like falling out of orbit into an alien seascape and others like exploring the same cave over and over because you keep realizing you forgot beacons once you got all the way out here, so you want to at least make a couple of runs and haul back some resources.

AllisonByProxy
Feb 24, 2006

FUCK TERFS/BLM/ACAB

Been having a blast with it. I think it's fascinating playing along with the early access updates and watching it grow and change over time!

DrDraxium
Dec 2, 2002

Zesty posted:

I lost months of my university life to that game. I don't regret it at all, but it would be a tall order to return to. My most recent foray into the world of rougelikes was Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead. That certainly scratched a lot of the itches that Dwarf Fortress left in me, even if it's a totally different game.

LonsomeSon posted:

This is absolutely a developer that we can expect to put out a game which is compelling despite itself, and it utterly unplayable for about 5% of people due to a combination of bugs other players will see maybe once in 2-3 playthroughs.

Their greatest obstacle to success will be themselves and their planning. It will be normal for some months to feel like falling out of orbit into an alien seascape and others like exploring the same cave over and over because you keep realizing you forgot beacons once you got all the way out here, so you want to at least make a couple of runs and haul back some resources.

Yeah I'm happy to wait. I've gotten my plastic crack addiction going again (40K / Warcry), so that passes the time nicely.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
You should check the last half dozen pages of the df thread for updates about the graphical version they're making for steam, it is quite exciting and I imagine someone who's made it more than a year into a run would appreciate it much moreso

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

New Below Zero Update.
Looks mostly minor.
But any improvements/advancements are good.

https://unknownworlds.com/subnautica/below-zero-salad-days-update/?k=8

here is the video from that page
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HfHybGKKza0

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Sweet. I'll maybe wait a bit until the depth modules are a bit easier to find. Still can't figure out where they be!

Comrade Koba
Jul 2, 2007

WarpedNaba posted:

Sweet. I'll maybe wait a bit until the depth modules are a bit easier to find. Still can't figure out where they be!

If you’re talking about the seatruck depth modules, you unlock those automatically as soon as you build the seatruck.

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

Comrade Koba posted:

If you’re talking about the seatruck depth modules, you unlock those automatically as soon as you build the seatruck.

I thought you had to find it.
Though maybe that was back when your sis was sending drops.

Comrade Koba
Jul 2, 2007

OgNar posted:

I thought you had to find it.
Though maybe that was back when your sis was sending drops.

Honestly can’t remember how it worked back before the major overhaul, but unless this latest minor update changed things you unlock the depth modules when you get the seatruck.

However! You can only build the MK.1 depth upgrade in either a vehicle upgrade console or a seatruck fabricator module, so you’ll still need to find and scan fragments for either the fabricator module or moonpool + upgrade console (since you can only build the console in a moonpool).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Is this worth playing now you think? I played Subnautica earlier this year or late last when it was on Gamespass and I really loved it. By then it was basically bug free and the story was in-place and I really loved the experience start to finish. Beating Outerwilds is leaving me with an exploration/vastness itch. Am I going to spoil the magic by poking around now or is this already a different experience and/or that "magic" was something you only really get to have once so no harm no foul here?