Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wrr
Aug 8, 2010

Serephina posted:

Talking about the above-water one? I didn't even realize it floated. I just kinda saw the beacon at surface (cuz of plot reasons) and swam there at like 5m deep. Saw the big jellies, thought "cool", didn't even think to look down until I was on the return trip and crapped my pants and swam at the surface as fast as I could.

I'm also like the most unobservant fucker ever, as I didn't see/notice the goddamn above ground Degausi bases despite combing the above ground (or as I thought). I actually first found them in the Jellyshroom caves, and needed the wiki to find the one in the grand reef after I had the cyclops. The wiki also told me about the giant crater, and when I got there was was like "How the gently caress did I miss this?!". I have no clue.

If you're talking about the giant crater in the dunes, you likely missed it because the game doesn't give you any specific reason to go into the dunes at all, and upon first time entering the biome the onboard AI comments on all the leviathan class fish swimming around and asks if whatever you're doing is really worth it.

I know as soon as I heard that I turned around and never went back. Big fish scary.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Being social makes me swell!
Huh

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CR4gPLkOMxQ

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

They tapdance not, neither do they fart
I have seen a lot of good Subnautica themed resin sculptures.
That is one of the better ones though.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Laughing Zealot posted:

I was legit terrified during my first visit to the floating island. Nothing but a empty void below me, with god knows what swimming around.

Funny thing is if you go straight down from the floating island very good chance you'll run straight into a Ghost Leviathan, your paranoia is justified!

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Funny thing is if you go straight down from the floating island very good chance you'll run straight into a Ghost Leviathan, your paranoia is justified!

Don't listen to him! He is trying to lure you to his lair!!! :derp:

Laughing Zealot
Oct 10, 2012

Later on I built a small outpost in that area that ended up being in that big boy's patrol radius. Had a few interesting moments when parking my entering/exiting, but at that point it was more amusing than scary.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
I built a minibase in one of the final deepest areas, like, you're supposed to just deal and go in to a place but I was wanting a little relax spot anyway, even if I did have my big safe sub with me. Plus I think I clipped the sub into areas I couldn't get it out, or so I thought, until at the very end when I realized I left some important stuff in it and I had to get it out which was the hardest self-inflicted part of the game, but also a blast.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
What's the floating island on top of? It's been a while and my memory of the game is mostly landmarks and paths instead of N/E/S/W. I do remember that audio log warning early on, and turning right the gently caress about, but I don't have it associated with any lategame area that I recall.

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008

Serephina posted:

What's the floating island on top of? It's been a while and my memory of the game is mostly landmarks and paths instead of N/E/S/W. I do remember that audio log warning early on, and turning right the gently caress about, but I don't have it associated with any lategame area that I recall.

It's directly above the Grand Reef. More specifically, it's directly above the abandoned Degassi Grand Reef base which is at the entrance to the super deep caves.

Just Offscreen
Jun 29, 2006

We must hope that our current selves will one day step aside to make room for better versions of us.
Well, one of three entrances anyway.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
Ah yea of course. I never really did much in that area as again I'm blind as a bat and didn't find the Degausi logs anywhere but the jellyshroom caves.

IMJack
Apr 16, 2003

Royalty is a continuous ripping and tearing motion.

Fun Shoe
The first time I played, I built my main base in the safe shallows like a goober. There was a Ghost leviathan patrolling right on the surface a stone's throw from my base. Made for some wtf vistas as I was travelling across the surface at various points.

There was also a Reefback that seemed to average just above the surface, far shallower that I think it's supposed to go.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

I built a base right next to the Aurora just in view of the Reaper that patrols the front, I built an observation room with a seat just to sit back and watch him swim around.

I think a big part of what makes Subnautica work so well is that not only does it invoke that primal fear of the abyss, but justifies it. The hostile wildlife is designed to evoke 'What the gently caress was that?!' and the big submarine's best use being for stealth is no coincidence- the fear never goes away.

Ghost Leviathan fucked around with this message at 12:49 on Oct 6, 2020

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

My first play through I never made the stasis rifle for whatever reason, and imo that made the experience that much better. 2nd play through using a stasis rifle and thermoblade or the Prawn to basically incapacitate and murder anything kinda cheapens the whole experience.

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

HelloSailorSign posted:

My first play through I never made the stasis rifle for whatever reason, and imo that made the experience that much better. 2nd play through using a stasis rifle and thermoblade or the Prawn to basically incapacitate and murder anything kinda cheapens the whole experience.

There's a reason the devs made "No weapons" a core conceit, and the stasis rifle was an odd compromise that didn't need to happen.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

ikanreed posted:

There's a reason the devs made "No weapons" a core conceit, and the stasis rifle was an odd compromise that didn't need to happen.

It's pretty much the only way you're gonna be able to scan most Leviathans.

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Imagine the fun if they had given reapers a sleep cycle, so you had to sneak up on them while they're napping.

Ceyton
Oct 9, 2004

YOU'RE DEAD ARMITAGE!
YOU'RE DEAD ARMITAGE!
YOU'RE DEAD ARMITAGE!

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Or you could do what I did, and wait until you saw one that clipped into the map geometry and got stuck. :science::coolfish:

A jargogle
Feb 22, 2011
Just heal up in between bites

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug
I love the repulsion gun myself over the stasis rifle to the point I rarely even carry the stasis rifle. But 90% of the players desire to kill comes from the game refusing to play ball with it's own claims :sigh:

Shame only the Stalkers really have anything interesting going on beyond existing purely to inconvenience you, the player. By the time you no longer need stalker teeth, you have learned to live with them to use as a resource already.

"Well, another shark that wouldn't get the hint after a dozen non-lethal repulsion blasts to the face is dead... How come I stab energy draining leeches instead of non-lethally removing them again?" *Leech clips inside the cyclops* "Ah, right."

It's such a shame because when the whole "You don't NEED weapons or killing :rolleyes:" sales pitch works as advertised, it is amazing and you honestly don't feel any need to kill things. Giant monster bragging how humans are not the top of the food chain? gently caress off, all you get is lightning for dinner :byewhore:

The hype not living up to the reality is when it gets awkward, and that's not even considering the poo poo tools like the consumable gas missiles more likely to kill you than they are to make a shark stop trying to headbutt you for five seconds.

Ceyton posted:

Or you could do what I did, and wait until you saw one that clipped into the map geometry and got stuck. :science::coolfish:
You lucky bastard. Usually I'm having to shoo them away from being able to freely move through geometry from my seamoth parked in a cave. I wonder if repulsion gun still very weakly works on reapers? "No. BAD. Nooo, BAD reaper.... Okay seriously stop trying to eat the parked lights turned off in a cave seamoth." *gently shoves reaper back into the mountain long enough to hop in and drive away*

Section Z fucked around with this message at 23:42 on Oct 6, 2020

Just Offscreen
Jun 29, 2006

We must hope that our current selves will one day step aside to make room for better versions of us.
I absolutely adore most of the fauna models you encounter in this game, but I really wish the Sea Dragon Leviathan model was replaced with something else. It's clearly a first draft of...something else in that area that they left in.

It shouldn't have arms like that, is really what I'm saying. Bring back the guy who made the Ghost Leviathan.

Gothsheep
Apr 22, 2010

ikanreed posted:

I thought the reason the dev didn't give you any weapons was a pure political statement?

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

"We don't want to make the game repetitive and boring" is almost exactly the opposite of political statements in gaming, from what I recall.

spaceblancmange
Apr 19, 2018

#essereFerrari

When is this likely to be out of early access? Don't want to touch it or know much about it until then.

AllisonByProxy
Feb 24, 2006

FUCK TERFS/BLM/ACAB

spaceblancmange posted:

When is this likely to be out of early access? Don't want to touch it or know much about it until then.

Early next year for Below Zero.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro
Reposting since it is relevant again:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6S6bgQnlP1w

Dyz
Dec 10, 2010

Just Offscreen posted:

I absolutely adore most of the fauna models you encounter in this game, but I really wish the Sea Dragon Leviathan model was replaced with something else. It's clearly a first draft of...something else in that area that they left in.

It shouldn't have arms like that, is really what I'm saying. Bring back the guy who made the Ghost Leviathan.

I think the sea dragon came before the ghost leviathan in development.

Originally the sea emperor was supposed to be another leviathan as well.

Just Offscreen
Jun 29, 2006

Oh yeah- way before. Different artist too.

Subyng
May 4, 2013
So I just started playing this and the very fast rotation of the planet makes me motion sick. Under water is fine but when I'm above water going in a straight line but seeing the sky rotate seems to be the culprit. Anyone have any possible solutions?

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!
Fixate on the water?

I don't know, it takes vr for me to get motion sick playing games

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."

Just Offscreen posted:

First time I finally reached the lava area I thought the sea dragon was the thing which had been talking to me telepathically the whole game. Was really confused why it was shooting fireballs at me until I actually made my way inside the containment structure and found the actual Sea Emperor.

Drewsky
Dec 29, 2010

I started playing this game again and I've got a beached reefback in the Safe Shallows. I feel sorry for the guy, want to try to push him out or something.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro

Drewsky posted:

I started playing this game again and I've got a beached reefback in the Safe Shallows. I feel sorry for the guy, want to try to push him out or something.

I'd say that void torpedos are the best bet at dislodging the chonk...

RaySmuckles
Oct 14, 2009

:vapes:
Grimey Drawer
i just started the playing the poo poo out of this game last week. its been a really fun change of pace.

i've tried to do most things blind, but i've looked up some stuff, including a map, which was fortunately not very helpful. i've also seen some spoiler videos long ago on the game (such as joseph anderson's).

i built my first big, beautiful base near the shallow thermal vent. i've mostly stuck to the southwest/west of the map

recently i built my first cyclops and pretty much immediately discovered the lost river area, via the western blood kelp trench where i am now building my second base, a lovely nuclear powered triple stack with scanner and two moon pools right on the border between the lost river and ghost leviathan tree with the moonpools on land and the rest of the base on some foundation overhangs. its got a lovely view and is tucked away enough to the side that the cyclops can still get through. and its right at like 870 depth which is perfect.

speaking of, taking the cyclops down the blood trench and into the lost river was a loving trip. thank god for the sonar. i enjoy how obtuse piloting the cyclops is. makes it feel special.

this game is super fun. the whole experience works (for the most part). but what i love most of all is just building bases. since you're constantly battling the environments, bases really feel like safe bastions. and they're so customizable, especially the interiors. basic resource hunting trips work for me cuz i'm just stoked to get to work on the base. and where this new one is, its so easy cuz there's all kinds of drillable resource deposits nearby.

anyway, excellent game for anyone reading the thread, so long as you have a lot of patience and don't mind grinding resources (which is fun cuz the swimming business works well). also, i get tripped out going through pitchblack void. just gives me the heebie jeebies. makes me think of how terrifying it must be to fly through space. like, sure you've got a window, but you can't see poo poo out of it. can't even tell if you're really moving. instruments only.

fun game, but i do wish some of the progressions were a bit more...clear

RaySmuckles fucked around with this message at 19:11 on Oct 8, 2020

Paint Crop Pro
Mar 22, 2007

Find someone who values you like Rick Spielman values 7th round picks.

Just Offscreen posted:

Good job!

Also do yourself a favor and make a scanner room if you can- it makes finding hard to locate items SO much easier.

I tend to make my bases at the crossroads of three biomes so a single scanner can find whatever I need- though its rarely pretty.

I usually make mine in the bulb zone because its the prettiest especially at night. :allears:

Drewsky
Dec 29, 2010

I tried to add a bedroom onto my base and the base is destroyed? It flooded with water and I was running around trying to repair leaks only to have two more spring up. Guess I've got some youtube to watch lol

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Did you ding your base with a cyclops?

Aoi
Sep 12, 2017

Perpetually a Pain.

Drewsky posted:

I tried to add a bedroom onto my base and the base is destroyed? It flooded with water and I was running around trying to repair leaks only to have two more spring up. Guess I've got some youtube to watch lol

You ran out of structural integrity, friend. Happens to us all at least once. Add foundations beneath your structures, or build reinforcing panels.

Aoi fucked around with this message at 01:32 on Oct 10, 2020

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."

EimiYoshikawa posted:

You ran out of structural integrity, friend. Happens to us all at least once. Add foundations beneath your structures, or build reinforcing panels.

Also note that it doesn't matter where you put the panels. Your entire base operates on a single hull strength number and all you need to do is make sure it stays positive. Add some reinforcing panels somewhere out of the way where they won't affect the aesthetic of your base until you have a hull strength of 1 and you won't have to worry about flooding until you start building out again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gothsheep
Apr 22, 2010

EimiYoshikawa posted:

If you look up in the..upper left corner, I think, while you're building, it will tell you your base's current structure whenever you add things to it. Go below 0 and the base will constantly crack, but as long as you're above 0 it's fine.