Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
Huh. Has Hull Reinforcement ever helped against aggressive fauna? I've been playing this game how many years under that impression?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Zesty posted:

Huh. Has Hull Reinforcement ever helped against aggressive fauna? I've been playing this game how many years under that impression?

I didn't think it was possible to have fauna actually directly, purposely attack your base.

AFAIK, the hull reinforcement is for structural integrity while building.

Endless Trash
Aug 12, 2007

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

I didn't think it was possible to have fauna actually directly, purposely attack your base.

In BZ Squidsharks in the Lillypad Islands would periodically poke holes in my base

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

A fishperson in an intimidating hat!

The biggest threat from the environment to a base in this game is if you built close enough to one of those thorn plants that it’s trying to shoot at you while you’re inside.

Hill Reinforcement sections don’t help with that though, they are for sure just to balance integrity and make having windows more of a pain in the rear end.

Tom Tucker
Jul 19, 2003

I want to warn you fellers
And tell you one by one
What makes a gallows rope to swing
A woman and a gun

Yeah the game has a bit of a weird thing where to make your base look nice with lots of glass you have to make part of it look like poo poo with reinforcements and foundations.

I try to cover my foundations with grow beds to make them look purposeful and pretty and then hide 3-4 reinforcements in weird corners where the view wouldn’t be nice. But one large room glass roof will really gently caress your hull integrity

Complications
Jun 19, 2014

Generally I have my power rooms/towers be the ones that are reinforced everywhere to provide hull integrity for everything else. It feels thematic to me.

Endless Trash
Aug 12, 2007

Complications posted:

Generally I have my power rooms/towers be the ones that are reinforced everywhere to provide hull integrity for everything else. It feels thematic to me.

Yeah it works for the nuclear reactor room. Like, obviously these reinforcements are to prevent radiation from damaging the environment.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

AFAIK, the hull reinforcement is for structural integrity while building.

No, the vehicle upgrade.

Zesty fucked around with this message at 07:32 on Mar 2, 2024

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!

Zesty posted:

No, the vehicle upgrade.

It doesn't lower damage you take from attacks or upgrade your hull, it just lowers collision damage by 50%

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
Quote is not edit.

Vanadium
Jan 8, 2005

Tom Tucker posted:

Yeah the game has a bit of a weird thing where to make your base look nice with lots of glass you have to make part of it look like poo poo with reinforcements and foundations.

I try to cover my foundations with grow beds to make them look purposeful and pretty and then hide 3-4 reinforcements in weird corners where the view wouldn’t be nice. But one large room glass roof will really gently caress your hull integrity

If integrity works like power, something really stupid you could do is have a basically disconnected chunk of your base far, far away in a corner somewhere and just smother that in reinforcements. As long as it was on the same snappy grid when it was placed, it's the same base, even if no directly connecting components exist or ever existed. In Below Zero I have a base inside a vent garden at however many hundreds of m depth that gets solar power because I extended the base grid with temporary tubes all the way to the top in many steps and have a single tube with like five solar panels at the surface, I imagine I could do that with structural integrity as well.

I can't imagine it being practical but it's stupid enough that I felt compelled to suggest it.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

What's up with pipes not going further than 50m when I can see everywhere AND remember that they used to have infinite range? This is BZ.

They're already questionable utility. But if this is a balancing change, it's made them totally useless.

Teledahn
May 14, 2009

What is that bear doing there?

Zesty posted:

... it's made them totally useless.

Correct!

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless
So I'm doing another playthrough after a pretty good break, and my three biggest takeaways are:

1) I don't know if it's a feature that got added later, but "cinematic mode" makes things look great during the day but loving impossible to see anything at night. I was getting really frustrated until I found that setting in the options and turned it off.

2) The Prawn suit can go gently caress itself, it's a great idea terminally hampered by godawful collision mechanics. I really tried to like it, but ultimately I added some mods to give the Seamoth Prawn arms and more depth modules and it makes life 1000x better.

3) I still maintain that the Sea Empress has the highest ratio of character development to spoken lines of any video game character ever (though maybe in close competition with Outer Wilds). It's really impressive how much they manage to convey with just a few short sequences.

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

They tapdance not, neither do they fart
I use the Seamoth depth modules also.
Problem is that the big guy down there can take you out in one glancing hit and you will still need/want the drill for the green power crystals.

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Fear is the glue that holds society together. It's what makes people suppress their worst impulses. Fear is power.

And at the end of fear, oblivion.

Wingnut Ninja posted:

2) The Prawn suit can go gently caress itself, it's a great idea terminally hampered by godawful collision mechanics. I really tried to like it, but ultimately I added some mods to give the Seamoth Prawn arms and more depth modules and it makes life 1000x better.
Skill issue spotted.

I mean, I won't lie that it gets frustrating to have glitches and clipping issues happen, and I lost a prawn because it got stuck under a mushroom like Austin Powers trying to a cart around in a hallway. But goddamn if spidermanning off a sea dragon to get into the facility isn't crazy amazing.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
I've never tried using mods in Subnautica, but I was reminded of DeathRun which I only discovered after it had gotten broken from an update.

Just found out in the making of this post that someone redid it:

DeathRun Remade

Aoi
Sep 12, 2017

Perpetually a Pain.

Wingnut Ninja posted:

So I'm doing another playthrough after a pretty good break, and my three biggest takeaways are:

1) I don't know if it's a feature that got added later, but "cinematic mode" makes things look great during the day but loving impossible to see anything at night. I was getting really frustrated until I found that setting in the options and turned it off.

3) I still maintain that the Sea Empress has the highest ratio of character development to spoken lines of any video game character ever (though maybe in close competition with Outer Wilds). It's really impressive how much they manage to convey with just a few short sequences.

Cinematic Mode really makes the bioluminescence pop during the night, but yeah, you absolutely need a light source on the player to see anything in an area that isn't directly lit by said bioluminescence.

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless

Pander posted:

Skill issue spotted.

I mean, I won't lie that it gets frustrating to have glitches and clipping issues happen, and I lost a prawn because it got stuck under a mushroom like Austin Powers trying to a cart around in a hallway. But goddamn if spidermanning off a sea dragon to get into the facility isn't crazy amazing.

That just makes it worse in a way, because you go from "I AM LORD OF THE OCEAN, MASTER OF THE DEEPS, NONE CAN STOP ME" to "oh no I bumped into a mushroom and came to a complete halt".

And maybe it's just in my head but it feels like collision in general is jankier than it used to be, even getting around my base on my own two human feet. Like there's literally a spot on a growbed where I can't reach it with my knife to harvest seeds (there's not a crouch button somewhere that I'm missing, right?). I can pick the melons by hand, but they're just out of range of the knife, so I just stand there slashing at the air above them, silently cursing my unbendable knees.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Wingnut Ninja posted:

And maybe it's just in my head but it feels like collision in general is jankier than it used to be, even getting around my base on my own two human feet. Like there's literally a spot on a growbed where I can't reach it with my knife to harvest seeds (there's not a crouch button somewhere that I'm missing, right?). I can pick the melons by hand, but they're just out of range of the knife, so I just stand there slashing at the air above them, silently cursing my unbendable knees.

I only started playing this game in 2021, but this has been a thing since at least then. I cut the close ones, and grab the farther ones. I don't even think about it anymore, it's second-nature because I've been doing it for so long, due to the lack of crouch and weird collision. Definitely not a new thing.

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless
Yeah, I don't think they've made any changes to the game engine or anything, so I guess I just forgot just how sketchy the movement and collision mechanics were. Dry movement definitely feels like they got it to a "just good enough to be functional" state and moved on because it's such a small part of the overall game. Hopefully doing the sequel in a proper engine will be significantly better.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

Wingnut Ninja posted:

That just makes it worse in a way, because you go from "I AM LORD OF THE OCEAN, MASTER OF THE DEEPS, NONE CAN STOP ME" to "oh no I bumped into a mushroom and came to a complete halt".

Your point is it’s stupid. It is stupid.

Here’s the workaround. Try jumping and slicing as you land. You get low enough on the land to connect.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
First DeathRun

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless

Zesty posted:

First DeathRun

It's definitely a little weird starting a new game and being limited to your own lungs after you're used to rolling around with an ultra high capacity tank.

Anyway, I gave Below Zero a new try after not getting very far the first time back in the day. One of the things that made me quit last time was that I never found the base builder tool. This time around I got it, but it's frustrating how a lot of critical things are gated by schematics being in only one spot or a very few number of spots.

Overall it's kind of a hit and miss experience. I like a lot of the additions and changes; the sea truck is a neat concept that can switch between zippy little seamoth-alike and a less obnoxious cyclops replacement. Being able to strap the prawn to your back to get around the map quickly is fantastic synergy. And between the smaller map and tweaked fabrication recipes, it's a lot less annoying to track down and restock materials that you need.

On the other hand, everything above water is awful. The snowfox is garbage, and all the twisty canyon areas are very samey-feeling, not very interesting, and confusing to navigate around. The temperature mechanic doesn't really add the same tactical exploration balance that oxygen limitations cause, it's just an annoying thing to manage like a faster depleting food or water meter.

Right now I'm just kind of wandering around trying to track down alien caches and figure out what exactly where the plot is going. The "find out what happened to your sister" motivation feels kind of tenuous, but maybe I need to dig into the logs I've been picking up a little more. It's annoying that most of the time when you find a log you can't stop to read it right there because you're limited by oxygen.

Endless Trash
Aug 12, 2007

Wingnut Ninja posted:

It's annoying that most of the time when you find a log you can't stop to read it right there because you're limited by oxygen.
In Settings under Accessibility you can turn on “PDA Pause” to solve this problem

Sassy Sasquatch
Feb 28, 2013

Somebody might have mentioned it previously but Pacific Drive has been giving me faint Subnautica (and even outer wilds) vibes. The exploration in a fully customisable vehicle, the spooky vibes and threats coming from the environment itself… it’s not a perfect game but I would encourage anybody lurking in this thread to check it out.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.
I really enjoyed Pacific Drive. I have some light criticisms around the final act and story but they might just be personal. Definitely worth checking out — My Summer Car meets STALKER with some light Simon Stalenhag vibes.

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Fear is the glue that holds society together. It's what makes people suppress their worst impulses. Fear is power.

And at the end of fear, oblivion.

Sassy Sasquatch posted:

Somebody might have mentioned it previously but Pacific Drive has been giving me faint Subnautica (and even outer wilds) vibes. The exploration in a fully customisable vehicle, the spooky vibes and threats coming from the environment itself… it’s not a perfect game but I would encourage anybody lurking in this thread to check it out.
I think the gameplay is very analogous, but the vibes are different. In Subnautica there are two realistic threats, megafauna and drowning (heat/starving/dehydration are not common problems). In Pacific drive it feels less like you're exploring dangerous areas and more like dangerous areas happen to you. You aren't in control of your exploration beyond the macro planning. It makes it feel like a different flavor of tense/horror atmosphere.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Pacific Drive is a very chill experience on the default settings, I've only died once and it was on a story mission at night where I messed up and had to drive without lights. I think the progression and pacing is a little off, with regards to the workshop upgrades like the highway shortcuts and there's definitely a point where nothing can really threaten you even in the inner zone, but I think that'll change in a new playthrough if I crank up the difficulty.

Iacen
Mar 19, 2009

Si vis pacem, para bellum

Wingnut Ninja posted:

Anyway, I gave Below Zero a new try after not getting very far the first time back in the day. One of the things that made me quit last time was that I never found the base builder tool. This time around I got it, but it's frustrating how a lot of critical things are gated by schematics being in only one spot or a very few number of spots.

One thing I would have loved to see was a computer which could unlock blueprints. Like it looks at your progression and figures out what tech level you’re at. It would “defrag your library of blueprints” or some technobabble, but it would allow you to get everything, maybe in exchange for some resource.

Reason I am suggesting this is I have never had a play through where I have found everything. In one I never found beacons. I don’t think I have ever unlocked the Cyclops without cheating.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007
I found, at least in my 4ish playthroughs of the base game, and two of BZ that just googling the area the part I want tends to spawn in was enough to find it within an hour of play time. I'd be completely good with something like 'selling' materials to a terminal to unlock pieces of parts though. Ok here's 120 titanium, give me the last goddamn cyclops piece.

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
There's lots of stuff you can look back at in terms of design and how to improve it but the two things I'd push for are:
  • Untethering critical/important blueprints from in-game objects that can be missed and instead tying them to some other "quantum troll" type mechanic in focused on a narrative context. In Subnautica, this would look like those data boxes dynamically granting upgrades from a weighted or ordered list on-open and blueprints being tied to a similar mechanic (or unmissably granted as part of the campaign path)

• Accessibility UI changes/options with the expectation of distracted gameplay. The biggest example here is flashing the "stuff to scan" icon into the middle of the screen and THEN having it shrink down to the lower-right corner because even a bouncing and flashing icon is easy to miss - you shouldn't put important stuff in the corners. Pacific drive is a good example to draw from here, where there are options such as "highlight loot" in accessibility for people who easily miss stuff in-game or don't enjoy pixel hunting.
So much of subnautica gameplay frustration would be smoothed over with those two changes because people are bad at picking out important objects from the background clutter. Francisjohn who got popular doing ONI and other builder games is doing a run on YT right now and it's filled with him constantly missing the bouncing scan this icon and stuff lying on the ground. "Streamers are oblivious" is a constant refrain because their attention is always being pulled in multiple directions by trying to be entertaining and juggling community interactions while also playing the game. Since they're also the primary marketers, it's a huge advantage to cater to that sort of distracted gaming.

Bhodi fucked around with this message at 17:33 on Apr 4, 2024

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
That second point makes no sense, how does anyone have trouble scanning things? I walked through the subnautica world gentling tapping my scanner on every single new thing I find, animal mineral or vegetable. The entire game to me was a long series of going 'Oh lookie, wonder what that is?'

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
I didn't have an issue either but 15 mins on youtube/twitch will show you plenty of people do, it's basically people's #1 complaint.

Teledahn
May 14, 2009

What is that bear doing there?

The element of an icon popping up on the hud is also a little distracting. The scanner screen itself should change colour and beep both to make it more obvious you're mousing over an unscanned object and to keep the element more rooted in the game world.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007
Scanning should just be a 360' held pulse and there should be a little icon with the # of unscanned items somewhere out of the way within its aura if you have the scanner out.

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe
I should just spawn with all the stuff scanned at the start of the game imo

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007
Ooo! Look at me! NO DON'T LOOK AT ME!

I think the game should be a puzzle and a button that lays it.

Automation is for things that are boring

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.

Teledahn posted:

The element of an icon popping up on the hud is also a little distracting. The scanner screen itself should change colour and beep both to make it more obvious you're mousing over an unscanned object and to keep the element more rooted in the game world.

But the scanner icon pops up even when you don't have the scanner out, which is an important cue to take the scanner out. So it can't just live on the scanner because you don't always have the scanner out.

There are other games (like Pacific Drive for instance) that make scanning a built-in thing rather than a tool, you can always do it whenever you find anything new just by pressing the right button.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Bhodi posted:

I didn't have an issue either but 15 mins on youtube/twitch will show you plenty of people do, it's basically people's #1 complaint.

Streamers have an extra element where they have a lot more pressure to get progressing right away when the game itself is designed more for you to slowly meander more.