Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

There is nothing more fulfilling than ramming a reaper with the cyclops. Taking this away kills the game. 0/10

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747
So does the silent running mode work like WoW rogue Vanish? Like does it drop agro from weenies attacking you or do they still keep biting?

And what triggers cavitating (most likely spelled wrong), diving too fast it seems like?

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008

Dongattack posted:

So does the silent running mode work like WoW rogue Vanish? Like does it drop agro from weenies attacking you or do they still keep biting?

And what triggers cavitating (most likely spelled wrong), diving too fast it seems like?

They keep biting for a few seconds, but once you stop making noise they lose interest. You can speed this up by deploying a decoy at the same time as you drop into silent mode.

Cavitating is a real phenomena where you beat the water so much that it forms gaseous bubbles in the low pressure section. In game if you go over a certain speed, including diagonally so medium speed + diving can trigger it, it causes excess noise. There's a noise gauge under the speed gauge.

The most badass form of cavitation is when the Pistol Shrimp snaps it's claws so hard that the cavitation sends out a shockwave that can rupture the organs of it's prey.

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747

:captainpop:

gently caress the ocean.

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008

Dongattack posted:

:captainpop:

gently caress the ocean.

Ohh stop being such a stereotypical goon. They're awesome. Besides, they're tiny and the most they would give you is a bruise.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

7c Nickel posted:

Ohh stop being such a stereotypical goon. They're awesome. Besides, they're tiny and the most they would give you is a bruise.

I will defend this opinion with my life. Pistol shrimp are cool and good.

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008

Section Z posted:

I will defend this opinion with my life. Pistol shrimp are cool and good.

Yes. I forgot to add that as the bubbles collapse, they form a tiny ball of glowing plasma the temperature of the sun.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eKPrGxB1Kzc&t=60s

Bonus fact! In addition to making a fuckload of noise that other subs could potentially pick up, cavitation fucks up the surface of propellers. A lot of sub development is build around avoiding it as much as possible.

This is something I'm glad Subnautica doesn't simulate.

7c Nickel fucked around with this message at 00:21 on May 15, 2017

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

7c Nickel posted:

Bonus fact! In addition to making a fuckload of noise that other subs could potentially pick up, cavitation fucks up the surface of propellers. A lot of sub development is build around avoiding it as much as possible.

This is something I'm glad Subnautica doesn't simulate.

Great, now you've mentioned this it'll end up being a "feature"

Sexual Aluminum
Jun 21, 2003

is made of candy
Soiled Meat

Hexenritter posted:

Great, now you've mentioned this it'll end up being a "feature"

Is it really immersive to have a big glass window when we dive really deep? We should navigate using sonar only, like in that scene from Hunt for Red October when they go through the ice.

Sexual Aluminum fucked around with this message at 01:30 on May 15, 2017

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

Sexual Aluminum posted:

Is it really immersive to have a big glass window when we dive really deep? We should navigate using sonar only, like in that scene from Hunt for Red October when they go through the ice.

The sonar is trash

Magmarashi
May 20, 2009

7c Nickel posted:

You can drive full speed pretty much everywhere it's practical to drive full speed. And full speed is faster than before. The main thing this changes is that you can't just ram leviathans for fun. If you want to taunt the big wildlife just get in a Seamoth with the zap system or torpedoes. Or grapple on to it with a Prawn suit and punch it.

https://streamable.com/of6cn

I like how 'It should be vulnerable to huge lifeforms but not tiny baby things" gets the response "Just use something else to harass the wildlife" as if that makes a goddamn once of sense.

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008

Magmarashi posted:

I like how 'It should be vulnerable to huge lifeforms but not tiny baby things" gets the response "Just use something else to harass the wildlife" as if that makes a goddamn once of sense.

But It isn't vulnerable to tiny baby things. The smallest thing that can harm it is a 15 foot long exoskeletal shark.

And you have to actively be doing something dumb for them to do significant damage.

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

Ok fine keep the dumb cyclops changes and finish the loving game so I can do a for realsies run. They might as well just put in slender man who follows you constantly if they want to keep tension in their pacifist sea survival game.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Invalid Validation posted:

Ok fine keep the dumb cyclops changes and finish the loving game so I can do a for realsies run. They might as well just put in slender man who follows you constantly if they want to keep tension in their pacifist sea survival game.

There is in fact a reference to a hunter-killer entity targeting the survivors in the story.

Magmarashi
May 20, 2009

7c Nickel posted:

But It isn't vulnerable to tiny baby things. The smallest thing that can harm it is a 15 foot long exoskeletal shark.

And you have to actively be doing something dumb for them to do significant damage.

It is considerably loving stupid for a 15 foot shark to be even be attacking a strange 178 foot long creature, in an ocean with predators of that size, to begin with and much loving dumber for it to actually be doing damage to it. They are babies compared to it.

'Actively doing something dumb' like 'Using the sub'

Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler

Thanks, it worked great.

Magmarashi posted:

It is considerably loving stupid for a 15 foot shark to be even be attacking a strange 178 foot long creature, in an ocean with predators of that size, to begin with and much loving dumber for it to actually be doing damage to it. They are babies compared to it.

Thank you, this is what I was trying to find a way to say earlier.

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed
The game is still really good, and worth the money. Some of us just think that the devs are wasting their time by making changes that are dumb, just so they can appease a small minority who want survival games to be as hard and tedious as possible.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

To be fair some of the new changes in the test version are making things easier. Lubricant is cheaper (1 instead of 3 seed clusters) plus a few other things.

I think they should just add more reasons to use growbeds. If machines had an upkeep cost or some sort of catalyst that increases efficiency you'd be encouraged to put little farms at your outposts. I'm really fond of building tiny little outposts in the various biomes and having a small farm plot for things like lubricant and rubber.

Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler
Ya know, I take it back. I put a couple hours into it this morning and it's really not that bad... got the Seamoth and it seems sometime in the past year they actually fixed it so there's no rotation lag and it's the zippy fighter plane I remember. And I like the new HUD style. The music is still as good as ever, too. Maybe I'm just a cynical bastard.

e. There is a significant amount of pop-in and occasional graphics lag, however.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

I think I bungled myself into a death spiral in the lava caves. I can't get back in my cyclops without being eaten by the big thing. It's just as well though, the secret down there is the last plot point in the game until 1.0 so I'll call this run a success regardless.

Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler
Why are there two different Prawn suit blueprint progress bars? Got one at 3/4 and another at .. 2/20. They've certainly added quite a bit to the storyline.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Ambaire posted:

e. There is a significant amount of pop-in and occasional graphics lag, however.

Yeah, this drives me bonkers. I know that most games have pop-in, but in this game it is way more noticeable for some reason (probably because view distance is a lot shorter due to being underwater) and a huge distraction.

I also have an issue where water clips through the floor of the escape pod at the beginning. Ruins the whole intro sequence as you realize the escape pod is actually in the water the whole time, and all the various sound and visual effects are fake (i.e. you aren't actually dropping from orbit).

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747

7c Nickel posted:

gently caress.

THE OCEAN.

I am loving petrified of deep ocean or ocean where i can't see the bottom, but interestingly enough after some major starting hurdles Subnautica really helped me control that fear much better.

emoji
Jun 4, 2004
The game is worth it for the sound design alone.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Dongattack posted:

gently caress.

THE OCEAN.

I am loving petrified of deep ocean or ocean where i can't see the bottom, but interestingly enough after some major starting hurdles Subnautica really helped me control that fear much better.

imagine how awesome it would be if after going off the edge of the map, your PDA goes "warning! titanic lifeform approaching" and then you get swallowed by a huge maw that reaches out from the depths

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747

enraged_camel posted:

imagine how awesome it would be if after going off the edge of the map, your PDA goes "warning! titanic lifeform approaching" and then you get swallowed by a huge maw that reaches out from the depths

M-m-m-mods?!

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

dont worry, it's just a fun thought exercise. the developers aren't that imaginative.

S w a y z e
Mar 19, 2007

f l a p

Hey, that means the leviathan of a game is still out there, lurking in the deeps, for some developer to blunder into one day.

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008

Magmarashi posted:

This is why I keep arguing with you. This is simply not true. You have to be doing donuts in the middle of a pack of them to get more than few scrapes on the hull.

emoji
Jun 4, 2004
I encourage people to try the changes instead of being mad at the theoretical shortcomings of not having a godmode sub.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

enraged_camel posted:

Yeah, this drives me bonkers. I know that most games have pop-in, but in this game it is way more noticeable for some reason (probably because view distance is a lot shorter due to being underwater) and a huge distraction.

I also have an issue where water clips through the floor of the escape pod at the beginning. Ruins the whole intro sequence as you realize the escape pod is actually in the water the whole time, and all the various sound and visual effects are fake (i.e. you aren't actually dropping from orbit).
You're in a 6 DoF environment so it's more notable than if you were just walking on the ground the whole time. But also the draw distance/pop in really is that poo poo. If it was "Too far for you to see/the water is too dark to see:pseudo:" like a lot of people try to excuse, then you would never notice pop in or draw distance issues. Because how can you notice something popping in, if it's :airquote: 'too dark' to see it in the first place after all.

The most jarring area is the super pretty as gently caress glowing mushroom land. Which throws all the usual claims of darknesss and deep water out the window but you still see the giant house sized light up shrooms pop into existence from a pitch black void like a light switch once you cross that invisible line.

7c Nickel posted:

This is why I keep arguing with you. This is simply not true. You have to be doing donuts in the middle of a pack of them to get more than few scrapes on the hull.
It's a pretty poor argument to refute "There is no good reason to be attacked or take damage in the first place from these. It doesn't even add real 'challenge', it's just annoying", with "Well who cares? You only take SOME damage anyways!"

That's generally the scope of these kinds of discussions. Whether or not things are "game ruining" or "Just kind of tedious, you know?" those against tend to highlight a bunch of practical reasons why it's dumb or at least adds nothing of real value. While those for generally go "Well, uh, maybe you're just a baby!?" as pretty much their whole argument.

When there's still plenty in the game to gently caress you up, but no asking for your giant mega sub to not be made of tinfoil that takes at least a reaper to hurt it. Instead of basic sea life that is of no threat to you when SWIMMING by the time you tech up to the sub means you want Godmode I guess.

Section Z fucked around with this message at 19:07 on May 15, 2017

Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler

enraged_camel posted:

Dongattack posted:

M-m-m-mods?!

I don't get it, is this a request for a mod to do what enraged_camel suggested?

Thor-Stryker
Nov 11, 2005
I'm surprised we have some of those 'ultra-survivalists' in this thread.

Can we get an extra-hardmode where you have to eat every five seconds and snappers one-shot your sub to satisfy them?

That way what the devs do wont go to waste, but 90% of the player base can enjoy the game without the tedium of ULTRASURIVALISM.

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008
"Large belligerent predators are a danger to you if you don't take proper steps" is not ultra survivalist. The only one citing "realism" are the people claiming that predators never attack things larger than themselves. I want them to go put their theory to the test and run circles around a wasps nest. Animals attack things larger than themselves all the time if they think they have a good reason.

Thor-Stryker
Nov 11, 2005

7c Nickel posted:

"Large belligerent predators are a danger to you if you don't take proper steps" is not ultra survivalist. The only one citing "realism" are the people claiming that predators never attack things larger than themselves. I want them to go put their theory to the test and run circles around a wasps nest. Animals attack things larger than themselves all the time if they think they have a good reason.

The sub is made of loving titanium, that's a few steps down on the hardness scale from diamond. In reality, it should be breaking those loving shark's teeth off.

So if you want to put a theory to test, please go bite a titanium hull and let me know how much damage you do to it.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.
Kinda silly to point to swarm-based insects when people are talking about large marine predators.

I mean don't get me wrong, it's an alien freaking planet, the shark-things can do whatever they want. But Earth sharks don't just chomp on fishing boats as they sail by.

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.
Congratulations, you found one incident 50 years ago. I'm sure you can find a dozen more over a half century of ocean exploration, which means that there's definitely evidence that every single predator in the ocean attacks every single metal research ship that passes by unless they turn their lights off. Jeez.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

The answer is obviously to introduce more big predators. The seamoth is vulnerable to most things. The cyclops is realistically vulnerable to at most 3 enemies. Leviathans, crab squids and dragons.

Give the unique biomes some kind of big thing that can take a chunk out of your cyclops or incapacitate it in other ways. Make the blood trees spray acid on your sub if you bump them or something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

Congratulations, you found one incident 50 years ago. I'm sure you can find a dozen more over a half century of ocean exploration, which means that there's definitely evidence that every single predator in the ocean attacks every single metal research ship that passes by unless they turn their lights off. Jeez.

Again, every single predator in the ocean DOES NOT attack the Cyclops. Only the largest and most belligerent ones.