Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747
Aww... There's no point to having the Seamoth anymore is there when you got a upgraded PRAWN suit? I assumed the whole time that i would be able to dock both in the Cyclops, but since you have to chose i can't see any reason to ever NOT take the PRAWN suit. If i could dock both i could use the SM as a fun and nimble explorer at least.

edit: i think the most cathartic experience i've had in this game is grappling onto a big baddie and drilling it to death

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747
How do you deal with the biggest carnivores at this stage in development? I'm parked in my Cyclops looking at the Sea Dragon Leviathan and it's kinda hovering around where i need to go outside. And it's basically the first huge and hostile creature i've had to deal with (only seen a reaper in the far foggy distance so far, been lucky i think).

Sidenote: Holy poo poo its so beautiful, rarely has a game been able to create a creature where instantly the first word that comes to mind when seeing it is "magnificent". I spent most of the 48 hours played on this save so far worrying about it (and the reapers), how scary it was gonna be and what hosed up sounds it was gonna make. However its just awestriking and making some soothing crooning sounds. I'm sure its not as pleasant when it attacks tho. Reapers are far more scary so far.

edit: lol yes, i jumped out in my PRAWN suit and now its clearly screaming some hosed up obscenities at me

Dongattack fucked around with this message at 01:39 on Dec 25, 2016

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747
Nah, it was the sea dragon, but the sounds were getting muted because of distance and the cyclops. Once I stepped outside it was pure nightmare :cry:

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747

queeb posted:

is there anything specifically im looking for in the aurora? I wandered in, but its loving huge. there's a lot of bluepurints i've already scanned from wrecks in here as well but im afraid of missing something. I've just explored the cargo bay, prawn area and im in the airlock right now. I need to go back to the admin area and the seamoth area for sure.

so many free batteries and food and poo poo. and a power cell so far.

Your objective is to turn off the reactor so it stops pouring radiation everywhere. But beyond that there is a Cyclops upgrade in there, easy scans for the PRAWN suit and some unique cosmetic stuff you can put up/build in your base.

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747

queeb posted:

found some crazy poo poo inside the floating island, can I do anything with this alien stuff?

queeb posted:

nah like a stargate lookin thing

Yes, keep playing and you will most likely figure it out, unless you are on Creative and the story is disabled. Here it is as a spoiler if you just want to know what it is all about and absolutely need to know right now.

You're right, it's basically a Stargate, but it can only teleport you between the Mountain Island and the Floating Island. You need some alien thingamajig power source to power it which you will find inside the Mountain Island Precursor base. The story will specifically send you there after a in game week or two.

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747

Scoss posted:

I am not normally a huge survival game fan, but this game's unique setting and look caught my interest more than naked mudmen in the woods hitting rocks with sticks.

I am considering buying it on the current steam sale but after doing some research I see a lot of people talking about horrendous performance and crashing issues once you play long enough. How serious are these bugs? How close is the game to actual release and are people more or less satisfied with how it's been handled?

The experimental version of the game has no crash issues for me and the fps is a fair bit better, i played the experimental save for 50+ hours without any crashes before a unrelated game ending bug destroyed that save. So yeah the bugs are very severe. The game is utterly fantastic i think, but if you want a polished and complete experience i'd wait. Might still be worth considering buying it now tho even if you won't play it if you wanna take the risk, price will probably go up at release.

According to the roadmap Trello it's looking like a May 2017 release, but who knows.

People generally are very impressed with the game, but sad about the performance and crashes. It's to be expected tho with EA i feel.

Dongattack fucked around with this message at 00:16 on Dec 28, 2016

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747

Rhjamiz posted:

You misunderstand. It's not that food is scarce. It's that I have to stop to stuff my face with annoying frequency. Because apparently I promptly die if I don't consume 2 liters of water every six hours.

Switch to the game mode without the need to eat or drink then D:
You can even do it on a game in progress by using the console.

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747

Ambaire posted:

Is it possible to revert to a pre-april 2016 build somehow? (serious question)

Yeah:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4I3pcSPDwic

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747
So does the silent running mode work like WoW rogue Vanish? Like does it drop agro from weenies attacking you or do they still keep biting?

And what triggers cavitating (most likely spelled wrong), diving too fast it seems like?

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747

:captainpop:

gently caress the ocean.

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747

7c Nickel posted:

Ohh stop being such a stereotypical goon. They're awesome. Besides, they're tiny and the most they would give you is a bruise.

gently caress.

THE OCEAN.

I am loving petrified of deep ocean or ocean where i can't see the bottom, but interestingly enough after some major starting hurdles Subnautica really helped me control that fear much better.

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747

enraged_camel posted:

imagine how awesome it would be if after going off the edge of the map, your PDA goes "warning! titanic lifeform approaching" and then you get swallowed by a huge maw that reaches out from the depths

M-m-m-mods?!

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747

Ghost of Starman posted:

Question: without spoiling too much, what do I need in order to mine those huge conspicuous mineral deposits? I thought for sure something called a 'laser cutter' would let me, y'know, cut stuff. :sigh:

If you visit the Aurora after it's exploded and you can enter it you will find the designs for SOMETHING that can mine the deposits if you explore thoroughly.

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747
IIRC there is a story related place you need to go to which is so deep that the Seamoth can never withstand the pressure? I'm not 100% sure tho since it's been awhile and in any case i think you can get away with going there in the Cyclops and relying on lots of airtanks + Seaglide.

Prawn suit is also the best way to fight back in the game since it can just straight up tank and beat the gently caress out of anything that bothers you. Attach a grappling hook and grapple to the fuckers while smacking them in the face for that extra "gently caress you".

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747

twistedmentat posted:

I was inspired to play by the Neebs gaming series
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WMmiTTTUdQs

Haha, i love these! Binging them currently, i didn't know the Battlefield dudes did stuff that wasn't Battlefield and i had no idea the propulsion cannon did so much damage.

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747
Any suggestions for interesting, but still somewhat useful places to build a main base in the early to mid game? Actively avoiding playing the game at this point till it's done, but i like to gently caress around and build bases.

I found a real neato place under the floating island (500m under it, so not before you have a Cyclops). Lots of heat sources, pretty surroundings and close proximity to the floating island which is helpful for food, relaxation and spoilery reasons.

Edit: Actually thinking about it it's not actually a very useful spot i guess, but its pretty!

Dongattack fucked around with this message at 20:42 on May 24, 2017

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747
Someone that claimed to know what they were talking about said that the Subnautica team were trying to make the Unity engine do a lot more than it was ever designed to do. Which seems plausible to me, Subnautica is a really complex game.

Reminds me of Kerbal Space Program, afaik that still buckles under it's own weight if you try to build a big space station or something complicated.

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747
I have a extremely high end system, it's still unplayable eventually as the game accumulates more gunk in the gears.

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747

double nine posted:

Errrm, public service announcement: don't take your cyclops into the inactive lava zone, or at least not into its central chamber. It doesn't end well.

Did you go in there full speed or on silent running? Just curious. Been experimenting with silent running on experimental a bit and it seems to not work too well against the bigger beasts.

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747
:shepicide:

I think i'll just watch the Neebs LP or something like that instead of playing if the changes continues in this direction.

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747
Story update is pretty cool, but Cyclops is so frustrating to use now that i honestly can't see myself bothering to play this legitimately again.

Edit: Ok, the story got so cool that i will probably play it legitimately one time to experience it all the way it should be, BUT IM GONNA PISS AND MOAN ABOUT THE CYCLOPS THE WHOLE TIME :tutbutt:

Dongattack fucked around with this message at 19:49 on Jun 21, 2017

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747

SetPhazers2Funk posted:

What's the strategy for using the Cyclops? I just built my first one, and no matter which speed and silent running buttons I pressed, the ship seemed to be under constant creature attack once I started moving, and sometimes when I wasn't moving at all. I've parked it back at base and am sticking with the trusty seamoth, but surely I'm missing something. I get that the idea is to use it as a mobile base and then explore out of it with smaller craft, but I couldn't even get it 200 meters from the shallows without it being on fire, let alone park it somewhere deep/useful.

With where the Cyclops is in development right now i feel like it's less headache to use the Seamoth/PRAWN Suit and plopping down tiny outpost bases with the bare necessities in them where it makes sense to put them. A multipurpose room with bio reactor, plant beds with food in them and maybe a fabricator. Then you can add whatever you want to it later if you feel fancy.

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747
I hope they add a bigger aquarium you can build, the centerpiece one that goes up Z levels is far too puny for all the cool eggs this game has. I want something the size of the seamoth/prawn suit bay!

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747
In the Subnautica universe, do we know if the player discovers the first sign of aliens ever or is it old news?

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747
Theres no way they are gonna have a 1.0 product by October

LOL - Lolling On Land

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747

horse mans posted:

I just started playing from the latest release. What sucks about the cyclops gameplay?

Depending on where you take it, it can be under constant attack from various sized beasts and it can be super annoying to deal with. It used to be invulnerable. Most players would like a middle ground.

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747

radintorov posted:

Of note are a new giant creature that will murder the player, the cure to the infection, it's possible to deactivate the giant cannon and the Cyclops was actually improved.

Ummm, you forgot THE POOP???

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747
So you just interact with the leviathan babbis poop and then you are cured/free to go? Was the whole DNA harvesting/science thing cut? Haven't played, just reading patchnotes/watched the trailer.

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747

7c Nickel posted:

I'm pretty sure that stuff is for hatching the babies in the first place. Although the transfuser was also cut but that's a separate thing.

Just played to the new parts in Creative/Freedom now and you grab some plant seeds from various biomes to craft the babbispawnin juice and then touch their poops to get cured. Kinda disappointing, i was really hoping for stuff like using the reasearch props you find, maybe interacting with your giant aquarium stuff, riding some Leviathans while sucking their marrows or something. Maybe they'll expand on it later or maybe the rocket silo building will be more involved.

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747
Jesus christ, the power consumption of the Cyclops is beyond insane, drains it's power generator far faster than the Sea Moth/Sea Glide/Prawn Suit uses it's single battery/power core. And on silent running? Forget about it.

Lol, i seriously don't get their obsession with making this thing as obnoxious as possible, they need to stop eating glue.

Edit: actually it seems that every time the sonar pings it uses up 1% of the total energy, that's the insane powerdrain im experiencing. i still stand by my statement that they are retarded tho

Dongattack fucked around with this message at 18:19 on Aug 22, 2017

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747

Digirat posted:

Are you not immersed?

Of course i am! The game takes place under the sea!

heeeeheeeeeheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee hehhhh

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747

TheGreasyStrangler posted:

what the gently caress is happening with this game

Don't you understand.... ~gAmEs DeVelOpMenT~ ??????? :smug:

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747
I didn't really think about it until you guys started putting it into words, but yeah. The predators in the game really don't feel like animals, but much more like WoW NPCs. I'd be okay with that tho if they ironed out the more major kinks. I don't really think this development studio is capable of funneling smarter AI into the game at this point in development hell.

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747
Did they fix the performance/pop in? I haven't touched the game in a very long time, but checked the trello roadmap and saw nothing about performance stuff. Just various items of "RELEASE THE GAME" on the menu.

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747
"Buy our game buildt around immersion (heh)! Where your immersion will constantly be broken! And just never go to the Mushroom Forest, trust us :grin:"
Nah, it's a pretty good game and I've more than gotten my moneys worth and then some. Just sad that it could have been truly great if they were a bit more focused and prioritized differently.

Edit: Also gonna be funny on Twitch when it's released cause i know a couple of big streamers have been holding off for 1.0 while hyping the playthrough up, because: "they need to fix the loving pop-in!"

Dongattack fucked around with this message at 13:13 on Nov 28, 2017

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747
I do have it on a SSD and it's still pretty bad, so if that's their solution IDK MAN! SOMETHINS FUCKY

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747
Downloaded it and flipped on experimental and yep, the popin is still quite extreme on a SSD and a brand new save. Sad!

Edit: I hope the end result of this game is kinda moddable so the community can fix all the crap design decisions, but the popin is probably here to stay now.

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747
:lol: the absolute mad men

"slap a blur filter on it and call it an update"
"please dont notice that we are shipping the game with lovely performance and terminal popin"

I kinda like the way it looks tho.

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747
Played with the changes a bit now. Turned up all the new graphics and ehh. It looks a bit nicer, but its just darker and blurrier. It's gonna have to be A LOT darker and blurrier to hide the pop-in tho :q:

Edit: Something positive tho: the modders have started to organize themselves, made a discord and everything. They seemed relatively positive when i popped my head in there for a few minutes to lurk.
Remains to be seen if the devs give the game Workshop integration tho. "200% extra Seamoth power mods interfere with the narrative and our vision :qq:"

Dongattack fucked around with this message at 19:21 on Dec 7, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747
Does this work?

https://discord.gg/7SDnqjA

Edit: seems like it works